Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Retail wageslaves UNITE!!

(but don't unionize because I can't lose this job man)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
"Just randomly work some overtime, stranger." - A person hopelessly out of touch with reality.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
You mean not everyone, even in the first world, has enough discretionary income to not care as the cost of their hobbies inflates out of control for no good reason? :monocle:

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

JerryLee posted:

You mean not everyone, even in the first world, has enough discretionary income to not care as the cost of their hobbies inflates out of control for no good reason? :monocle:

Magic is a game for the affluent news at loving 11

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

"Being the richest man in the cemetery doesn't matter to me. Going to bed at night knowing I combo'd out with vintage storm, that's what matters to me." --Steve Jobs

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I know someone with a store at home in Wyoming that has Revised Edition packs for sale.

No one is ever going to buy them. I mean, it's neat to see those up close and supposedly they haven't been checked for dual lands or something. But Jesus christ, no one will ever buy them.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

I dunno, someday once I have regular disposable income I might do youtube videos of opening old boosters for shits and giggles.

Cost of fun comes off the top of those.

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

Well, I'm a ghost. I scare people. It's all very important, I assure you.

Angry Grimace posted:

I was watching a TWoo stream several years ago, this was before I had a good grasp on his character, and he was talking about how he took a sociology course once and it totally changed his outlook on life, man, see get this, business suits are tools of the bourgeois to emphasize their upper-class status compared to proles laboring beneath them. This is why he was never going to wear a suit in his life, etc etc. Someone in the chat said "but Magic is a game of the bourgeois". TWoo read the comment out, let out a despondent "yeah....", then trailed off into 10 seconds of uncomfortable silence before completely changing the topic, probably to his newest basketball dunking technique or some poo poo.

Thank you, random twitch commentor, for so elegantly highlighting the shallowness of TWoo's thought process

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

I'm going to make a little sign that says "found lost Magic card", pin a Tarmogoyf to the bulletin board, and watch how nerds react.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Angry Grimace posted:

Obviously it's never been for people who have no or effectively no money left over paycheck to paycheck (not to say some of those people haven't tried anyway), but that goes for any hobby and the larger issues of income inequality and the importance of reasonable access to leisure activities of one's choice are beyond the scope of this thread. But even considering that, it's dumb to pretend things haven't gone further and further off the rails, and at the point where we need to describe our nerd game as being for the "affluent" (or the "bourgeois," thanks Mr. Peepers) it's far past time to take a look in the mirror

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I personally blame nerdiness going mainstream thanks to all the epic namedrops that Big Bang theory gave people with no brain of their own

ANYWAYS that's just me being bitter about my lack of disposable income, please carry on

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

JerryLee posted:

Obviously it's never been for people who have no or effectively no money left over paycheck to paycheck (not to say some of those people haven't tried anyway), but that goes for any hobby and the larger issues of income inequality and the importance of reasonable access to leisure activities of one's choice are beyond the scope of this thread. But even considering that, it's dumb to pretend things haven't gone further and further off the rails, and at the point where we need to describe our nerd game as being for the "affluent" (or the "bourgeois," thanks Mr. Peepers) it's far past time to take a look in the mirror

Every now and then I see people who open a box right in the store and sell the prized cards in it back to the store to go towards a new box. Afterwards, I casually talk to the store owners when I see this, since some of the people are regulars who do it for every new set. They get to know some of them, and while a portion of them do have a bunch of disposable income, there are people who spend a decent portion of their small paycheck doing this every 3 months. I guess it's more fun than scratch tickets. :smith:

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

Well, I'm a ghost. I scare people. It's all very important, I assure you.

I'm glad I'm not particularly competitive (such that I'd feel the need to always build T1 decks) or very fond of gambling or else this hobby would ruin me.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

I was just in a tight spot when Khans was being drafted is all.

Constructed, competitive Magic is a game for the bourgeois. XMage, proxies, playing with someone else's Cube, playing EDH with a fixed up precon with checklands and the like are for the proletariat.

Lightning Lord fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Feb 19, 2016

logis
Dec 30, 2004
Slippery Tilde

Chill la Chill posted:

Every now and then I see people who open a box right in the store and sell the prized cards in it back to the store to go towards a new box. Afterwards, I casually talk to the store owners when I see this, since some of the people are regulars who do it for every new set. They get to know some of them, and while a portion of them do have a bunch of disposable income, there are people who spend a decent portion of their small paycheck doing this every 3 months. I guess it's more fun than scratch tickets. :smith:

Reminds me of one (or a couple...) guys at the local store.
Peer through his binder..."You had some good luck at the prerelease and FNM. Nice." (Set just went on sale the day before, so seeing that many rares from the new set already in a binder was impressive to me)
Him: "Not really, I only got 2 of this mythic rare that I need for my green deck for Standard from the 3+ boxes that I opened, plus the 4+ prerelease sealed events. Got any?"

=============
Also: As the guy who built a Cube (thankfully, pre-Modern; even then I never broke down to get the last dual), Cube is the best. Proxy decks are fun as well, as when I play competitively it's just easier to draft and so I can ignore chasing down the latest $$$ cards.

logis fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Feb 19, 2016

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

I don't understand all these posts people make saying that the game is too expensive, and that there "needs to be room for mid-level decks," etc. You can't tell other people what to do with their money and what kinds of decks to build. If the community at your LGS doesn't suit you, don't play there. Find other people who want to play more casually.

Two people can go out and buy two Magic intro packs for $15 each. They can play the two decks against each other for quite a while getting to know them before even opening the boosters. Then they each have two boosters to open and modify their decks with, greatly deepening their experience.

I learned to play Magic by playing the Armada and Decay 7th Edition theme decks against each other with my brothers. We would play those two decks against each other over, and over, and over again, and never got tired of it. No two games are the same obviously. Later my younger brother and I learned that black and white aren't the only colors, and built very modest collections for ourselves. In those days we never spent much money on the game at all, but the fun and enjoyment were limitless. With just a few cards you literally have an entire world of possibility that never gets old.

When complaining about financial aspects of the game, one must separate completely the entire Magic culture (i.e. the different formats, the events at game stores, etc) from the way the game actually functions via the cards, and what that can offer players who just buy cards to play for fun, separate from the structured Magic world.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Honestly I just think it's astonishment at what prices are at these days.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Lightning Lord posted:

Honestly I just think it's astonishment at what prices are at these days.

The game is becoming more and more popular. The more players there are playing, the more expensive Standard will cost. Wizards is printing unlimited quantities of the sets in Standard, there is nothing more they can do to alter prices in the secondary market.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

For the record, source #1 and #2.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Chamale posted:

I'm going to make a little sign that says "found lost Magic card", pin a Tarmogoyf to the bulletin board, and watch how nerds react.

Are you doing either if the Calgary Pre-TQ's at the end of the month? Tack the goyf at one of those and I'll film.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

I got owned, you'd think as a grogs.txt veteran I'd be more savvy about unsourced quotes. To be fair, it wasn't suggesting that strength limits for women characters were awesome and cool or that 4e is Hitler. My Salvation detector is not that fine yet.

Also, another problem I think is that constructed and competitive are frontloaded when you learn about Magic. A lot of newbie drafters I see coming into the store are trying to get standard staples.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

I would have gotten owned too if I'd responded to them. I forgot that was Lottery of Babylon's schtick, and there are several posters in this thread who will drop that sort of thing without a trace of irony, so they slipped past my filter along with Lightning Lord's.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

UberJew posted:

The solution, of course, appears to have been for them to tap out completely and instead be replaced by no randomness whatsoever in the upcoming ffg lcg

Rolling Thunder was from like 10 years ago (or more) so not really directly comparable. I also think that was around the time when WotC took over the property from AEG which already caused some bad feelings. On top of which, they've not shown the greatest ability to market/promote/support any of their non-Magic ccgs (for instance, they essentially let Jyhad/Vtes wither and die before White Wolf took it over). That said, it was a pretty big debacle all over. I still think had they kept the rarities somewhat intact and spread the releases out a bit it would've went down better, but that's neither here nor there.

That said, I'm actually not sure how sustainable the LCG market is, at least in terms of having games mature. AGoT LCG had a fairly large following but FFG recently rebooted that for (and for some good reasons, imo). Anything that's trying to be competitive like that, you're gonna run into issues with shelf space and print runs for the older sets. I think Netrunner is starting to run into this a bit already. They will likely end up doing a pseudo-standard format, but I'm not sure how people who've been playing the game consistently will take to that. Alternately, you'll end up with key expansion packs going for $50-$100+ which is insignificant for Magic relatively but actually can start to add up. You have the advantage of having all the cards of course, but that's not very useful when you're just trying to play a particular faction or w/e.

Count Bleck posted:

I have one of these in my area.

I wasn't even aware there was a WWE TCG until I went in there.
Raw Deal was actually a pretty cool game mechanically, at least until they essentially broke it with Backlash.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Lottery of Babylon posted:

The game is becoming more and more popular. The more players there are playing, the more expensive Standard will cost. Wizards is printing unlimited quantities of the sets in Standard, there is nothing more they can do to alter prices in the secondary market.

That Investor3 guy is just the best thing to happen to your posting.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Ramos posted:

Up until the last part of the first quote, it seemed very reasonable and I found myself agreeing with him :shobon:

Magic is a lot more fun if you don't know what you're missing.

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON

Ramos posted:

is investor3 the same dude who's really vocal about how reprints aren't Real Cards

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Hopping Ghost posted:

is investor3 the same dude who's really vocal about how reprints aren't Real Cards

Yes. He also buys six boxes of every set to crack on release, in addition to the other boxes he buys as an "investment."

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Hopping Ghost posted:

♥ Reprints are not real

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

Just get super good at drafting and play somewhere that gives out store credit for winning drafts, obviously.

I win 10-25 dollars in store credit at literally every draft I do. I just spent all my store credit at the LGS I draft at and got:

Sword of Feast and Famine
Sword of Light and Shadow
Sword of Fire and Ice
Kiki-Jiki, Mirror Breaker
Dack Fayden
Mind Over Matter

It would have been enough to get approximately 2 Jaces :negative:

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
Hell, I split top 4 in a 6 person modern tourney and won an Ugin and a Bloodstained Mire from picking fate for my prize packs. You should totally win packs and open them. That is the best way to build a deck.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Ramos posted:

You should have given it more time.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Lets Pickle posted:

Just get super good at drafting and play somewhere that gives out store credit for winning drafts, obviously.

I win 10-25 dollars in store credit at literally every draft I do. I just spent all my store credit at the LGS I draft at and got:

Sword of Feast and Famine
Sword of Light and Shadow
Sword of Fire and Ice
Kiki-Jiki, Mirror Breaker
Dack Fayden
Mind Over Matter

It would have been enough to get approximately 2 Jaces :negative:

My legacy collection has easily won me $700 and it's only cost me like $6-7000 over the past 15 years so if I stop buying cards they will pay for themselves by the time I retire.

That's my plan.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Do you know how many crimes you could do if you had spent that money on bullets and guns instead. It's really not a good RoI

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Lightning Lord posted:

I was just in a tight spot when Khans was being drafted is all.

I was unemployed during both Modern Masters sets, it was a bummer at the time, but honestly it was probably best that I didn't have disposable income at those times.

With that in mind, I'm a little worried about this coming June :ohdear:

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

C-Euro posted:

I was unemployed during both Modern Masters sets, it was a bummer at the time, but honestly it was probably best that I didn't have disposable income at those times.

With that in mind, I'm a little worried about this coming June :ohdear:

The main thing you missed with MMA was a great draft format which might, but probably wouldn't yield money cards that aren't actually very good in limited. You missed little in MM2.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Am I the only person with zero interest in Eternal Masters? Like half my shop is acting like it is the second coming and, without the reprinting of reserve list cards, I really just don't care.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Madmarker posted:

Am I the only person with zero interest in Eternal Masters? Like half my shop is acting like it is the second coming and, without the reprinting of reserve list cards, I really just don't care.

Taking time out of your day to post about it on an internet message board really shows how little you care.

is that good
Apr 14, 2012
You can not care about eternal masters but also still care about the fact that other people care about it while you don't, and want to learn about the differences that caused the situation. That being said, probably plenty of people don't care about eternal masters so

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Toshimo posted:

Taking time out of your day to post about it on an internet message board really shows how little you care.

Perhaps, I have no interest in the set, but as a discussion point I find it somewhat interesting. I am perplexed by how excited some people have gotten for it and wondered if I am missing something important because of my inherent disdain for a supposed reprint product that will by its very nature lack the product actually in need of reprinting. Or if I will find people are similarly perplexed, thereby justifying my belief that the set is of little use.

Allstone posted:

You can not care about eternal masters but also still care about the fact that other people care about it while you don't, and want to learn about the differences that caused the situation. That being said, probably plenty of people don't care about eternal masters so

Exactly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Madmarker posted:

I just care enough to want to trade for a shiny force of will from those who cared enough (more? Less?) to open packs of it.

• Locked thread