Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Sage Grimm posted:

Okay, the big immune ones in a 3-rune game are going to be Orbs of Fire, Ancient Lich and Electric Golems. Of those three only the lich are affected by Dispel Undead. You definitely want an alternative eventually but it doesn't have to be Conjurations; you could hybridize heavier and have a nice off-brand weapon on switch. Or alternatively wielding a two-hander so base damage is enough to handle big nasties on its own with Pain being the icing on the necromantic cake. A further option is Summons and mesh with your Necromancy in Haunt/Simulacrum.

And I guess if you ever get unlucky and be Banished to the Abyss, most of the chaotic nasties there aren't going to be affected by Pain/Bolt of Draining/Dispel Undead.

Another solution to orbs of fire (and electric golems of you don't have rElec) is Might+Haste (or berserk if you want to be risky) if you're tanky enough to stand up to the damage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

Nique posted:

Been having a lot of fun with DsNe of Kiku and finally have a fairly promising one (cleared lair).

I'm still unsure when/what to use my pain brand on? I've trained up to 12 in m&f. Demon whip would be the best obviously but i don't feel like one will be coming soon and i haven't found anything else with a decent brand to use in the meantime.

Also unsure if i need to invest in other spell schools to handle immune mobs in a 3 rune game? So far i've found a book of flames + conjurations.

If you've found a scroll of acquirement and haven't used it yet, acquire a weapon. It's weighted towards giving you a weapon type you haven't seen before, so while there's always the possibility it will give you a broad axe or a scythe or something else completely useless, the most likely "bad" case is that it gives you nice, branded great mace, which is not a bad case at all. If it does that, you are a two-handed character that focuses on melee more than magic and you eventually pain brand another great mace. Otherwise, you might get an evening star or a demon whip, in which case your question is answered.

If all else fails, just pain brand whatever. Waiting for the perfect weapon isn't a good idea because the game gets easier as you go on and the brand will be relatively more useful early. The longer you wait to brand something, the less useful it will be to do so. If you have a morning star with high enchantment, consider branding that. Otherwise, a plain whip is probably best. But don't only choose based on the weapons you've found. You should also consider whether you plan to be more a melee character or a caster in the future. You can be a pure necromancer through most of the game with Kiku, but it will be a bitch in the late game. I think a hybrid is a much stronger choice. If you go for conjurations, a pain branded whip is a great side arm, but if you intend to mainly deal damage with a melee weapon, you're going to want something beefier. In that case, it might not be unreasonable to try holding out a little while for a great mace, since they're pretty common.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee
Under a smaller section of circumstances, I'd also consider staves - in particular if I'd found any that complement a spellbook I've also found and wanted to use. It's a bit of a waste to pain brand a quarterstaff, especially if you stumble across a staff of death, but staves are a solid third or fourth choice.

A bit unfortunate that quarterstaves don't work with shields but the magical staves do, but they've got a solid to hit and damage - nothing great, but certainly good enough for zombie smacking. Also, they crosstrain with M&F.

For DSNe^Kiku, my personal preferences would probably be M&F > Long Blades -> Staves -> Unarmed. Though if I think about it, a rapier might make a good target for a pain brand if you've got some stealth like Nightstalker, or find your foes 'distracted' by your zombies a lot, providing additional stab opportunities. Despite their higher base delay, their mindelay is still 0.5 like daggers, meaning more Pain.

Nique
May 18, 2006

Thanks for the advice. I got spines and mana shield as my tier 2 mutations, so figure heading more towards melee will be best. Unfortunately i statdumped into Int so far, but will start putting into dex.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

Nothing wrong with int on a melee character. It just means you can wear heavier armor and your spells will be more badass. Also mana shield is a ridiculously good mutation for blaster casters. Once it hits tier 3. If you stack a bunch of regen it's like you're passively channeling a staff of energy every turn. There's almost nothing else like it. Personally, I'd lean towards summoning at that point, since it's a really solid hybrid school that meshes well with necromancy. but I don't know what other stuff you have. You can't become a summoner if you don't have any books with summonings in them.

LordSloth posted:

Under a smaller section of circumstances, I'd also consider staves - in particular if I'd found any that complement a spellbook I've also found and wanted to use. It's a bit of a waste to pain brand a quarterstaff, especially if you stumble across a staff of death, but staves are a solid third or fourth choice.

A bit unfortunate that quarterstaves don't work with shields but the magical staves do, but they've got a solid to hit and damage - nothing great, but certainly good enough for zombie smacking. Also, they crosstrain with M&F.

For DSNe^Kiku, my personal preferences would probably be M&F > Long Blades -> Staves -> Unarmed. Though if I think about it, a rapier might make a good target for a pain brand if you've got some stealth like Nightstalker, or find your foes 'distracted' by your zombies a lot, providing additional stab opportunities. Despite their higher base delay, their mindelay is still 0.5 like daggers, meaning more Pain.

Polearms are my absolute top choice for any necromancer. Not only can you poke from behind your minions, a simple spear of pain is an incredibly solid weapon since it requires low skill investment, has reach and has .5 min delay. If you somehow luck out into a demon trident of pain, well that's the best possible weapon for a necromancer.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
DDMo^Pakellas won. This was with the nerf to MP on kill. Interesting alternative to the usual DD gods (Makhleb, Trog, Elyvilon, Kiku, TSO later on), I quite enjoyed exploring heavy rod use as a range option. Really hunger intensive though, iron rods are the bane of food with shadows being surprisingly more efficient. Didn't notice a huge difference of super-charging an iron rod versus a +2 I had picked up elsewhere aside from being able to fire off 3 charges at full. Also noticeably incapable of spellcasting, I only really relied on Reflect Repel Missile and Blink. Apart from the occasional high level Summons, Enchantments and Phase Shift I don't really see many other spells being used under this god.

Never touched Device Surge because I wanted MP in the tank to keep my wand of healing topped up. I definitely used Quick Charge a lot on that wand; it was uncommon for me to have full MP and not needing to dump more charges into it. Acceptable level of MP regen rate in the mid game which noticeably increased in the end-game with the more dangerous foes. Also the first combo I kept ambrosia around for the strongest HP/MP regeneration when I was completely dry.

The slower play from having to switch rods often probably helped a lot in not running on automatic into dangerous situations. Rarely had to teleport out.

Sage Grimm fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Feb 19, 2016

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Reflect missile, the legendary L9 Charms/Air spell?

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

FR: Reflect Missile shuts down all missile/bolt attacks as the aforementioned L9 Charms/Air spell, randomly re-targets an enemy within LOS

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
The level 9 charms spell should summon a bunch of spectral weapons

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Level 9 Transmutation: Mountain Dwarf Form

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

If we're going goofy gimmick spell ideas... L9 hex+transmutation+translocation: Singularity Form

Eat all the corn.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

I'm unsure as to whether giving Firestarter to one of my orc knights was a smart idea.

E: Well, he's dead now along with half my orc warlords.

Floodkiller fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Feb 20, 2016

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Transformation:
Ghost Moth Form
Glyph and tile in ascii/tile below:

Great, huh?

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
High-level Charms/Transmutation spell: Tukima's Merge. Transforms you into dancing-weaponform, sharing all your wielded weapon's properties.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

code:
1556306 Floodkiller the Messiah (level 27, 193/266 HPs)
             Began as a Hill Orc Warper on Feb 18, 2016.
             Was the Champion of Beogh.
             Escaped with the Orb
             ... and 3 runes on Feb 20, 2016!

The game lasted 04:50:13 (88004 turns).
:rip: all the orcs who foolishly gave their lives to my cause to become a greaterplayer and polytheist. VIP goes to Wulfoc for the most friendly fire (and setting most friendlies on fire).

Now what?

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

silentsnack posted:

If we're going goofy gimmick spell ideas... L9 hex+transmutation+translocation: Singularity Form

Eat all the corn.
This might be a joke but it'd be neat. Singularity form would actually solve all the issues with singularity's LoS fuckery/keeping enemies away from you too easily.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Correction: I was full of it; the amulet of harm does not affect the damage dealt by or to your summons. My apologies to anyone misled by the error.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
Wow what the gently caress Okawaru you just gave me Black Knight's Barding and then Sharnga in a row to a Centaur are you feeling all right

Edit: Then the Robe of Augmentation?? I mean, that's not good or useful, but that's three unrands in a row

mdct fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Feb 20, 2016

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

I have no objection to the removal of evocable teleportation from the ring of teleportation, but I feel the current implementation fails the "no-brainer" check. What redeeming value does it have with *tele not just being random teleportation, but random teleportation to an enemy?

If there's a redeeming value to it, I'm not creative enough to figure it out.

Evocable teleportation with random teleports to an enemy was an interesting revision.
No evocable teleportation with random teleports to the map as a whole could lead to some silly chase scenes in a desperate escape attempt.
But right now, the current implementation seems to be only downside.

I have the start of an idea or two, nothing I've really developed. Since part of the problem was the whole swapping issue, why not
1). Remove =Teleportation. Replace with Hats of Teleportation, slow swap, Evokable and Teleportitis to enemies. Increase both the frequency of effect and ease of triggering dramatically.
2). Keep =Tele but the random teleports don't require enemy presence.
3). Just leave it in as a trash item. Or crawlers figure out some potential use for it. Probably in the abyss.

tangentially related ideas
4). Bring back stasis as a footgear brand with predictably 'high' enchantment, sort of like the ponderous brand but nowhere near as big.
5). Shift Shroud of Golubria to cloaks, its just the most tedious buff, and cloak egos in general are useful enough to be competitive.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

LordSloth posted:

5). Shift Shroud of Golubria to cloaks, its just the most tedious buff, and cloak egos in general are useful enough to be competitive.
I don't agree because it drops off quickly enough that I just stop using it after the early-ish dungeon.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It'd be cool if cloaks had weak version of a few buffs like that, but they take a while to regenerate and also consume a lot more MP than the spell to do so. Is that even possible for the game to do. An item that steadily drains MP until it inflicts a status effect, then it stops?

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

PleasingFungus posted:

Correction: I was full of it; the amulet of harm does not affect the damage dealt by or to your summons. My apologies to anyone misled by the error.

Time to take it off, I guess.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID

quote:

543 gold the +2 buckler of Indecent Exposure {*Contam Regen+ Str+4 Slay+5}

What's indecent about this is I'm playing an Ogre :(

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Consider the terrible fate of so many who kill an ogre and find a giant spiked club that they can never use. Weep for them. Consider how lucky you are.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Fhqwhgads posted:

What's indecent about this is I'm playing an Ogre :(

Isn't that why Ogres are barred from using bucklers? It doesn't hide their shame! :v:

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Feature request: let Ogres equip bucklers in the ring slots by wearing them as fashionable bracelets, gaining no actual shield effects but still benefiting from any egos they might possess

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Nah, belt buckles. It fits into their amulet slot.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Sage Grimm posted:

Nah, belt buckles. It fits into their amulet slot.

If it's in the amulet slot, shouldn't it be like this except with a shield?

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Haven't played in a while but I was wondering if something that's been bugging me will every get addressed: the extreme amount of useless loot in the late game. I know Crawl doesn't really have sell mechanics and Nemelex sacrifice got removed eons ago, but it's kinda ho hum that once you reach your specific goals, there really isn't much point to getting more loot and such.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
That's kind of a good thing, in my opinion. Either you'd infinitely be scaling up with loot forever or you'd be consuming it in some way, both of which are annoying.

It's a bit worse in extended but as far as I'm concerned extended should be far, far shorter anyways.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Wat. Do you mean stumbling on randarts that aren't in favour of your skillset and/or are encompassed by what you already have? Or the extreme amount of gold you get that you don't know what to spend on in the end game? How are these any different from ADOM, Nethack, Angband, DoomRL and a whole host of other roguelikes, beyond some of them having the option of selling loot for pitiful amounts of gold? That's sort of an odd issue to have.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Replace 80% of lategame loot with cmut potions and teach Malmutate to every demonspawn enemy, every draconian enemy, every greater demon, and orb guardians. Problem solved!!

apple
May 18, 2003

Jose in the club wearing orange suspenders

amuayse posted:

Haven't played in a while but I was wondering if something that's been bugging me will every get addressed: the extreme amount of useless loot in the late game. I know Crawl doesn't really have sell mechanics and Nemelex sacrifice got removed eons ago, but it's kinda ho hum that once you reach your specific goals, there really isn't much point to getting more loot and such.

There would be a LOT more useful loot if you actually needed special egos or modifiers, but generally speaking as long as you have rF+ and some items to cover other resists which are occasionally deadly (like electric golems or nasty ice dudes), you don't need that much. Also considering that Crawl has made changes to minimize the need of stashing, I doubt they'll ever force the player to set aside different sets of equipment except for maybe extended.

Plus, what you say is not entirely true: minmaxing your gear by grinding Ziggurats is a thing, and getting more loot for the sake of more loot is kind of the point of running those repeatedly. Sure, you may not need to do any of this for a 3-rune or even 15-rune game, but you can always do things like building up a 3-rune character into clearing megazigs without doing extended at all, and it's highly likely you're going to need to carefully upgrade your gear and spells to keep up with repeated attempts.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

Sage Grimm posted:

Or the extreme amount of gold you get that you don't know what to spend on in the end game?
They need to allow shops to appear in Pan (or even just have weird demonic bazaar floors with outrageous prices). So many 15 rune games ended with tens of thousands of gold and nothing to spend it on.

Or I could always switch to Gozag I guess.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx

Sage Grimm posted:

Wat. Do you mean stumbling on randarts that aren't in favour of your skillset and/or are encompassed by what you already have? Or the extreme amount of gold you get that you don't know what to spend on in the end game? How are these any different from ADOM, Nethack, Angband, DoomRL and a whole host of other roguelikes, beyond some of them having the option of selling loot for pitiful amounts of gold? That's sort of an odd issue to have.

I kinda like IA and Sil due to the fact you could use pretty much everything you find, with varying degrees of success. I just find that there's an enormous glut of useless garbage in the late game that you can't really use. I got all my best wands, potions, spellbooks if I'm a caster, armor, rings, and weapons with me; I just find seeing all this useless clutter no more helpful than for flavor.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

amuayse posted:

are you talking about the late game (depths, vaults:5, slime, abyss, zot), or extended? I wouldn't say there's too much 'useless' loot in the former, and extended is... extended.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx

PleasingFungus posted:

are you talking about the late game (depths, vaults:5, slime, abyss, zot), or extended? I wouldn't say there's too much 'useless' loot in the former, and extended is... extended.
Mainly the late game. While there are a bunch of niche items, by the time I have my inventory packed with all the essentials I only ever pick up less than 1 in 10 items if they aren't autopickup stuffed. I can see the purpose of having many caches if I'm running extended, but there's just so much stuff that's fairly useless like the giant stack of gold I'm lugging around since the shops tend to sell useless crap besides some potions, food, and niche res items and the hundreds of weapons and armor in the late game areas I'll never end up using since I'm already using the best weapon and armor I have.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I've never understood why there aren't shops in Pan.

Benly
Aug 2, 2011

20% of the time, it works every time.
Crawl doesn't seem like it has a loot-glut problem to me, but I got my start in *bands and remember throwing acid balls into rooms carpeted with dozens of items because any that couldn't survive the acid weren't worth even thinking about after a little while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Tune the floor god to spawn less stuff, but spawn more useful stuff at all stages of the game. IMO.

Either way I'm tired of playing Spriggan and seeing three crystal plate armors before I reach depths

• Locked thread