Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Maybe watch an lp or something of Cities? It honestly is pretty easy to stay cash-flow positive in that game. Start small, expand slowly as your surplus rebuilds and demand rises. Don't overbuild a massive road network at the beginning and you should be golden.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Arrath posted:

Maybe watch an lp or something of Cities? It honestly is pretty easy to stay cash-flow positive in that game. Start small, expand slowly as your surplus rebuilds and demand rises. Don't overbuild a massive road network at the beginning and you should be golden.

And don't be afraid of the loans. Sometimes you'll need one to stop things from spiralling downwards.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Mokinokaro posted:

And don't be afraid of the loans. Sometimes you'll need one to stop things from spiralling downwards.

And, especially early on where there isn't the demand, reduce your budgets from 100%. You actually won't regret it.

All that extra power production or sewage capacity is just wasted $.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.
The game needs an option to start with more money, maybe twice the default so you can still preserve the challenge or whatever you want to call it but can spread out a bit more starting out so your city doesn't get mired in traffic and completely bogged down later on.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

RagnarokAngel posted:

Just play cities skylines with the infinite money cheat. Those types of games are always more bonsai gardens than real games anyway why let your creativity be constrained?

But...my mayoral immersion...

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

Nuebot posted:

I got mad and gave up after the game adamantly refused to tell me how to do anything that didn't just drain my funds and leave me in negative money and population instantly. I tried asking online for help and just got called a retard for not intuitively knowing how to play the game. I probably shouldn't hold the online community against it or something, but god drat if you're not going to tell people how to play then that's the only option isn't it?

What is there even to explain in Skylines? Money comes from taxes, which come from zones. Utilities cost money and upkeep, but improve zone quality. The end? If your income is too low, you can accelerate time until you have enough for whatever you need.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
Sim City 4 had a nice simple tutorial you could play through in like 10 minutes that explained every UI element and gameplay mechanic and then you could play the full game with everything available. I liked that a lot more than Cities' thing of just locking every single mechanic behind population levels and having to rely entirely on tooltips to figure out how to play.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

grate deceiver posted:

What is there even to explain in Skylines? Money comes from taxes, which come from zones. Utilities cost money and upkeep, but improve zone quality. The end? If your income is too low, you can accelerate time until you have enough for whatever you need.

You have to unlock taxes and loans though, so the game just kept yelling at me to set taxes and I couldn't because I hadn't unlocked taxes.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Nuebot posted:

You have to unlock taxes and loans though, so the game just kept yelling at me to set taxes and I couldn't because I hadn't unlocked taxes.

Then you probably just straight up expanded too fast which is a common mistake early on. Let things form organically.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Nuebot posted:

How do you make money before that, have the cops shake them down?

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k
I think you still get income from the zones but can't change the tax percentage? Like the other guy said just don't build too fast, don't build a poo poo ton of expensive roads, also don't build schools fire or police for a while cause they don't start complaining about it till like 20K population or something (or until you have a fire then do build a fire station). Never skimp on sewage or trash though.

But yeah there's definitely not enough tutorial. The game said "don't build sewage and water next to each other!" And I took that as I had to build separate pipes for sewage and water, and found it was impossible, and got very angry. Then some dude on the internet said they were the same pipe. Very annoying. On the plus side it doesn't cost money to build pipes, zones, or power lines like it does sim city.

More complaint: I still loving hate the traffic system. The tutorials they posted in the C:S thread explained it but why is it so complicated and realistic ughhhh

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Borderlands 2: Hammerlock's mission to mutate and kill the varkids. WHY the hell are the mutated varkids so much stronger than anything else in the area? I get that they're supposed to be tougher than regular varkids but not to the point of killing me with 75% of their health left when they're the only enemy around.

Fortunately I was playing as Maya, got my hands on a slag pistol, and used that and Cloudkill to kill them. Cloudkill loving owns.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Thin Privilege posted:

I think you still get income from the zones but can't change the tax percentage? Like the other guy said just don't build too fast, don't build a poo poo ton of expensive roads, also don't build schools fire or police for a while cause they don't start complaining about it till like 20K population or something (or until you have a fire then do build a fire station). Never skimp on sewage or trash though.

But yeah there's definitely not enough tutorial. The game said "don't build sewage and water next to each other!" And I took that as I had to build separate pipes for sewage and water, and found it was impossible, and got very angry. Then some dude on the internet said they were the same pipe. Very annoying. On the plus side it doesn't cost money to build pipes, zones, or power lines like it does sim city.

More complaint: I still loving hate the traffic system. The tutorials they posted in the C:S thread explained it but why is it so complicated and realistic ughhhh

PYF thing dragging this game down: do build a fire station once you have a fire.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
Does Cities: Skylines lock features for every new session or just the first time you're playing?

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Action Tortoise posted:

Does Cities: Skylines lock features for every new session or just the first time you're playing?

Every session. Loads of mods to remove it though.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
The lack of scenarios/missions also feels like a big oversight for Cities: Skylines. The core city building is great but just plopping you down in an abandoned lot and having you make your own fun instead of even having basic stuff like taking over an existing town and having you meet X objective in Y time meant it didn't hold my attention nearly as long as the classics of the genre.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Sleeveless posted:

The lack of scenarios/missions also feels like a big oversight for Cities: Skylines. The core city building is great but just plopping you down in an abandoned lot and having you make your own fun instead of even having basic stuff like taking over an existing town and having you meet X objective in Y time meant it didn't hold my attention nearly as long as the classics of the genre.

Its a shame because Sim City 4 didn't have them either(beyond tutorials), I don't know about Sim City 2013 but given everything else I would be surprised if they splashed out for that given all the other problems in that game. And they were really good in Sim City 3000 at given the subject cities a sense of character and challenge.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Mokinokaro posted:

Every session. Loads of mods to remove it though.

That's dumb. So if you've already grasped how to make a city you're still bound to making cities in a specific build order until you reach those population milestones?

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

Action Tortoise posted:

That's dumb. So if you've already grasped how to make a city you're still bound to making cities in a specific build order until you reach those population milestones?

I don't think you even need to download a mod to change it, I have some kind of "unlock everything immediately yes/no" choice I can make in one of the options/extras menus.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!
Makes sense to me. You need a certain amount of space and money to get a good police network/sewage system/whatever going, forcing you to do that with a new, small, poorly-funded city just because you're familiar with them is gonna suck.

EDIT: Geez, no idea what I even did to earn this title. I'd guess 'post in Auspol', but they come in waves.

Cleretic has a new favorite as of 00:21 on Feb 21, 2016

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
You deserve much worse for posting in Auspol imo.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

gohuskies posted:

I don't think you even need to download a mod to change it, I have some kind of "unlock everything immediately yes/no" choice I can make in one of the options/extras menus.

that makes sense. it should be a feature from the getgo and not something the community has to mod in.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Pillars of Eternity complaint: The armor system is a retread of Fallout New Vegas' Damage Threshold, and like DT in New Vegas, it is stupid, rewards the slowest, most ponderous weapons disproportionately, and leads to logical absurdities like a greatsword swung in big hacking cuts being more effective against a plate armored dude than a flanged mace (a weapon designed specifically to kill armored knights). A much more fun and logical system would be to make damage and armor penetration separate stats, with blades and arrows doing more DPS while blunt, piercing, and firearm weapons penetrate armor better. This leads to a nice video gamey tradeoff and makes far more sense, as a similar tradeoff existed in real life.

Metal Meltdown
Mar 27, 2010

Woolie Wool posted:

Pillars of Eternity complaint: The armor system is a retread of Fallout New Vegas' Damage Threshold, and like DT in New Vegas, it is stupid, rewards the slowest, most ponderous weapons disproportionately, and leads to logical absurdities like a greatsword swung in big hacking cuts being more effective against a plate armored dude than a flanged mace (a weapon designed specifically to kill armored knights). A much more fun and logical system would be to make damage and armor penetration separate stats, with blades and arrows doing more DPS while blunt, piercing, and firearm weapons penetrate armor better. This leads to a nice video gamey tradeoff and makes far more sense, as a similar tradeoff existed in real life.

Check the armor more closely. They have base DR but then they have sub categories for those sorts of specific weaknesses. Plate for instance is DR 15 against slashing and piercing but only 12 against blunt damage. It's also a mere 8 against electricity.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.
You'll end up dressing all your guys in the heaviest armor you have anyway since with the expansions roughly half the enemies in the game ignore engagements and half of those are really hard or outright impossible to control so it becomes really common that your squishies are running low on health while your tanks barely took any damage because common foes can't hit them for poo poo. I especially despise Monks, since they will just teleport past your front line, mulch one of your supports before you can even react before dying like bitches because now they're out of encounter powers.That's a big problem with the game, normal encounters are either things you can let your guys sort out by themselves while you read something or vomiting so much damage and/or control at you that you're gonna lose at least one person right away.

This wouldn't be such a big problem if your party AI wasn't stupid as poo poo on top of that. You've got four settings to choose from: passive and defend self which do what it says on the tin, just defend which should make your guys help party members under attack but doesn't and aggressive which also does what it says on the tin plus occasionally one or more of your guys will just bolt in a random direction and pull more enemies instead of fighting the ones you're already fighting. You can also set if you want them to use per rest abilities and spells which I don't recommend since it let to my Priest throwing heals for scratches but still not healing when the party was beat up and one or more guys were near death and your Mage throwing AoE spells at that one guy way the gently caress in the back not near anything.

Oh yeah, right now looting is also bugged and you bet your rear end it bugs out so that you can't loot a group that just dropped a quest item you need or after you downed that one boss that drops the only item that lets you improve something to legendary quality.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
From what I've heard the bug affects certain places at night. I do remember not being able to loot some enemies but I can't remember what the clock was saying when it happened. So if that happens, as a temp fix, try resting?!

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Metal Meltdown posted:

Check the armor more closely. They have base DR but then they have sub categories for those sorts of specific weaknesses. Plate for instance is DR 15 against slashing and piercing but only 12 against blunt damage. It's also a mere 8 against electricity.

The tiny differences between various physical types for different armors are nowhere near enough.

E: There is also no anti-aliasing in this game whatsoever. What the gently caress Obsidian, this game was released in 2015. :psyduck:

Woolie Wool has a new favorite as of 08:20 on Feb 21, 2016

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

So the expansion is hosed up hard? Because I made a new character and rushed there to play it fresh. Am I going to get messed up hardcore by tank ignoring teleport monks?

E: Haha yeah the two gatekeepers to the expansion just split open my goddamn party of 5s like six unattended pinatas after batting practice. I didn't want to play the goddamn game over again but I guess I have to go right up to the end and then turn around and ignore the climax.

Krinkle has a new favorite as of 11:07 on Feb 21, 2016

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
The expansion is designed to be started around level 7/8, which could lower depending on your difficulty obviously. If you put Storytime mode on you could be there within an hour, Normal/Hard will want to wait for nearly the end of act 2.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.
I did try resting and it worked for the quest guys in the harbor but nowhere else.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

The number one thing dragging down The Talos Principle (which is otherwise a stellar game) are those goddamn recorder puzzles. Give me a thousand jammers and connectors and boxes and fans but the second you put a recording terminal in a puzzle my brain just shuts the gently caress down and I can't even begin to fathom a solution; there's just something about them that fucks with me so hard and I struggle to comprehend how I'm supposed to plan out resources ahead of time and how the phantom rules work. One puzzle I did recently required me to watch a video solution like five times before I grasped what the hell I was supposed to do and why it worked.

gently caress recorder puzzles.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Dragon's Dogma: The Everfall. Its a circle in the ground with pathways jutting out that you must fall or grab onto. However knowing which floors you've already cleared is actually difficult and its really easy to lose count as you go rocketing downwards past everything. Now the floors are sorted in a circular motion, after clearing one floor just head to the right and leap off and the next floor down will be there, but sometimes the floor is too far away that even spamming E to grab the ledge isn't possible, so you have to go all the way back down and hope to god you are hitting E on the correct ledge when you come back down.

I'm barely a quarter through it and I spent 10 minutes trying to grab one specific ledge, it'll only get worse :negative:

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

Leal posted:

Dragon's Dogma: The Everfall. Its a circle in the ground with pathways jutting out that you must fall or grab onto. However knowing which floors you've already cleared is actually difficult and its really easy to lose count as you go rocketing downwards past everything. Now the floors are sorted in a circular motion, after clearing one floor just head to the right and leap off and the next floor down will be there, but sometimes the floor is too far away that even spamming E to grab the ledge isn't possible, so you have to go all the way back down and hope to god you are hitting E on the correct ledge when you come back down.

I'm barely a quarter through it and I spent 10 minutes trying to grab one specific ledge, it'll only get worse :negative:

I was so loving confused about that place. It doesn't help that you're apparently dead in purgatory or something? And then you have to spend time in the Everfall finding things that can resurrect a ghost to become a ghost king or some poo poo, then kill the ghost king, then become the next ghost king AND THEN kill yourself to resurrect yourself and your pawn as yourself.

I have no loving idea what the hell happened in the end of the game. Newgame+ started and I just sort of stared at it for a few minutes before uninstalling it.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

The Everfall is a weird portal nexus which connects all different realities, and by collecting wakestones you open a portal at its center to the lair of, essentially, God (the Seneschal) who you replace. The Seneschal is a former Arisen and replaced the Seneschal before him. You then kill yourself, freeing the world from the whole cycle of dragons and gods, and your pawn is returned to Earth in your form to live out a true life. The cycle is sort of a metaphor for video game worlds only existing as places where you fight enemies the dragon is sent out to find the prophecied Player Character, it falls apart when you kill the dragon because now that you've beaten the boss the game world has no purpose any more, and eventually you complete the game by ending the life of your character.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Killing god, becoming god and then killing yourself so the world can actually just do its thing without a bunch of cycle of fate bullshit is pretty amazing, and I wish the first 80% of the game was as good as the last 20%. The ending also explores the pawn stuff a bit more, which is pretty interesting and something the rest of the game should have done more often. Your pawn getting to finally be human in a world that will never have a dragon again was a nice way to end the game. The pawn pretty much turns into you (although it keeps its old voice if you and your pawn were different sexes, which I imagine becomes a pretty big problem for it later).

But if all the chambers in the everfall are supposed to be different worlds, then the gently caress the world that is just "a lich, a chimera, a gorechimera and a giant middle finger," seriously.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

That chamber was incredibly epic. gently caress the chamber that was just a metal golem that took my party of mages and one magick archer a million years to beat because it's only vulnerable to physical damage and one of its damage points was 50 feet in the air out of reach of any physical weapon I had with me :gonk:

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Metal golems are definitely a thing dragging the game down. They can't be damaged directly, so you have to run around and destroy these medals that float around the arena to hurt it. Meanwhile the metal golem is chasing after you and shooting lasers. This would be a great idea for a fight and it feels epic if you're one of the classes that can actually kill it, except this is dragon's dogma so they had to ruin it with a combination of three things: 1) you have to destroy every medal to kill it, 2) the amulets are immune to everything except physical damage, 3) in both metal golem fights, one of the medals is just floating 20 meters in the air because gently caress you.

Pawns are utterly worthless at destroying the medals themselves, which basically means that you have to be playing one of 3 classes yourself to be able to kill the metal golem. If you're playing a fighter or warrior, get hosed because of the floating medals (fighter and warrior are melee only). If you're playing a magick archer, mystic knight, mage or sorcerer, get hosed because almost all your ranged attacks do non-physical damage. Luckily there are only 2 metal golems in the game and they are optional.

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

Digirat posted:

Pawns are utterly worthless at destroying the medals themselves, which basically means that you have to be playing one of 3 classes yourself to be able to kill the metal golem. If you're playing a fighter or warrior, get hosed because of the floating medals (fighter and warrior are melee only). If you're playing a magick archer, mystic knight, mage or sorcerer, get hosed because almost all your ranged attacks do non-physical damage. Luckily there are only 2 metal golems in the game and they are optional.

Are they a different form of the stone golems with the medals? I never had an issue with those since worse case I'd just go set my character somewhere, go get a drink, and watch the AI try to take it down. Eventually they get it (especially if one of your pawns is an archer)

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Stone golems are the "standard" kind and the ones you see most of the time. Fighters, warriors, magick archers and mystic knights can all fight stone golems easily because you can climb on them to attack their medals with physical melee weapons. Not sure if mages and sorcerers get a physical attack when climbing but it sounds pretty miserable to fight as one. Pawns can actually hit the medals on stone golems sometimes though, so you could at least kill one as a mage in under 30 minutes by letting your pawns kill it.

Metal golems are pretty much the same thing except they're more aggressive and the medals are scattered around the area instead of on their body.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Witcher 2: The game has a problem of inversely rewarding you.

You can buy a diagram to craft a sword, lug around the materials needed, and pay a merchant to make the weapon OR you can find a better sword just lying on the ground for free.

You receive 200 gold for destroying Harpies nests using specially crafted traps that cost 700 gold to make.

You could skip all 35+ sidequests and lose out on all of 3 levels out of 35.