Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Inzombiac posted:

An embarrassing moment for me watching that film is when he bring flours to the girl, a baker.
But it's supposed to be romantic like he's bringing her flowers.

I just though it was little bags of seeds for a while. I'm not smart.

I actually did that as a joke Valentine's gift to one of my girlfriends, like years and years before the movie came out. I also cooked her a romantic candle lit meal of hot dogs, tater tots, and fruit salad cups. My attempt....didn't go over nearly as well as his did. I guess because she was a dental hygienist and not a baker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
It works for Harold because of the Baker's politics - he isn't just making a romantic gesture, he is showing her that he can think outside the box and operate on her wavelength - he can be weird and unorthodox, his job just forbids it. It's his first time really reaching out, and he has made horrible first and lame second impressions. He trying to show her (and prove to himself as well) in one gesture, that he can be more than he has been in every respect. Including honesty - Instead of the cliched "I love you" he is honest, and sticks with the literal truth - He "wants" her.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I really wish Will Ferrell would do more dramatic roles. Stranger Than Fiction is such a good movie.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I think my favourite part of his performance is when Dr Hilbert tells him that his death has to happen the way it has been written.

Hilbert: "Harold. Harold listen to me. You will die, eventually. That is certain. You could have a heart attack at the bank... choke on a mint... but I promise you it will not be nearly as meaningful or beautiful as the death that she has written for you."
Harold: "*with his voice cracking in despair* It's just really bad timing..."

I also like his earlier conversation about the meaning of life:

Hilbert: "You could do whatever you want! Have an adventure, go on a trip, finish reading Crime and Punishment. Hell you could even eat nothing but pancakes if you wanted!"
Harold: "I don't want to eat pancakes, I want to live. Who, in a choice between life and pancakes, would choose pancakes?!"
Hilbert: "Harold, I think that if you really thought about it you would realise that the answer to that question is inexorably linked to both the type of life being led and, of course, the quality of the pancakes."
Harold: "Well yeah but remember that this isn't a theory, or a philosophy to me this is MY LIFE!"
Hilbert: "Exactly! So just go make it the one you've always wanted :)!"

BioEnchanted has a new favorite as of 21:14 on Feb 15, 2016

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Inzombiac posted:

I really wish Will Ferrell would do more dramatic roles. Stranger Than Fiction is such a good movie.

This reminded me of The Truman Show and now I badly need to watch that movie again

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

I did a film analysis course last semester and had my final video essay and paper on Stranger than Fiction. It's such a great film and I agree, Ferrell should take on more roles likes that. I think my favourite line is when he's talking to the psychiatrist:

"No. No. It's not schizophrenia. It's just a voice in my head. I mean, the voice isn't telling me to do anything. It's telling me what I've already done. Accurately...

...and with a better vocabulary." :smith:

His delivery is consistently spot on, and he balances the comedic and the dramatic extremely well throughout the whole thing, but in that moment there's an odd mix of self-deprecation and resignation that I couldn't help but laugh out loud and feel sorry for him at the same time.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Inzombiac posted:

I think I mentioned it in this thread before but when I was in film school they told us over and over that if you want an amazing dramatic actor find a great comedian because comedy is by far the hardest thing to do well.

I've been telling people for years that Stranger Than Fiction is one of my favorite movies and people never believe me that Will Ferrell can loving act, man.

"Aren't you relieved to know that you are not a golem? :) "

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I also like the Hilbert intro when Harold mentions the key phrase:

Hilbert: "LIttle did he know? I once gave a seminar on Little did he know. I taught an entire class, on Little did he know. God dammit Harold, LIttle did he know means there's something you don't know. We should set an appointment... next week, no, imminent, you could be dead by then. Come back tomorrow, at 3:00"
Harold: "Ten seconds ago you said you wouldn't help me."
Hilbert: "It's been a very revealing ten seconds Harold."

Ana's pretty amazing too. Love the bus conversation (Replaced text with link as it is a long, funny scene):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-HArlgWlQ4

BioEnchanted has a new favorite as of 21:32 on Feb 15, 2016

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

BioEnchanted posted:

Ana's pretty amazing too. Love the bus conversation (Replaced text with link as it is a long, funny scene):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-HArlgWlQ4

The staging of Harold on the swinging seat is sublime.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
On the subject of will ferrel being a great actor in the lego movie "is lord business the bad guy?" The way he sells the realization and pain is very good.

Also the reason lord businsss wears platform shoes is that the dad is so much taller then the son IRL

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

bewilderment posted:

The Halo movie Forward Unto Dawn isn't particularly worth watching except that the first half of it is the first half of Starship Troopers played almost completely straight.

Similarly the Spartan super soldiers don't exist to kill aliens. They exist to kill humans. It just happened that aliens showed up for them to kill instead.

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!

Polaron posted:

I think I mentioned it in this thread before but when I was in film school they told us over and over that if you want an amazing dramatic actor find a great comedian because comedy is by far the hardest thing to do well.

One of my favorite roles in this vein is Peter Sellers in Being There. Peter Sellers' entire performance as 'Chance' is a study in subtlety, especially after watching him in the Pink Panther series and seeing his true range.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Tumble posted:

One of my favorite roles in this vein is Peter Sellers in Being There. Peter Sellers' entire performance as 'Chance' is a study in subtlety, especially after watching him in the Pink Panther series and seeing his true range.

The ur example (though going in reverse from how it usually goes) is, of course, Leslie Nielson. He was cast in Airplane! specifically because of his previous dramatic work, at which point everyone discovered that he had loving perfect comedic timing and delivery and now it's almost disorienting to watch him in his early serious roles.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Polaron posted:

The ur example (though going in reverse from how it usually goes) is, of course, Leslie Nielson. He was cast in Airplane! specifically because of his previous dramatic work, at which point everyone discovered that he had loving perfect comedic timing and delivery and now it's almost disorienting to watch him in his early serious roles.

Huh, I always though Police Squad! happened before Airplane. That's pretty cool.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Polaron posted:

Forbidden Planet, for example.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Robin Williams is another example of this. Watch him in One Hour Photo, and that one with Al Pacino where he plays a murderer. All of the Robin Williams(tm) coked up brittle zaniness is gone and you have understated, menacing/moving performances.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Holy gently caress One Hour Photo creeped me right the gently caress out.

I think the other one you are talking about is called Insomnia. Great movie too.

He had one other one I liked, but I can't remember the title. Basically he was some kind of funeral director dude who make videos of people's memories off a chip they had implanted as a kid, and then it turned into a murder mystery and some big kerfuffle cause he apparently had one installed as a kid and didn't know about it, which is a BIG NO NO for that particular job since you have unfettered access to someone's entire life.

Neat idea, and damned if I can remember how it ends, but I remember thinking "Holy poo poo, this is Robin Williams and he is kicking rear end at this".

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Polaron posted:

I feel like Jon Hamm is the modern equivalent of this, the dude got famous for smoldering and monologuing on Mad Men but is loving amazing at comedy

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

A PYF subtle movie moment from One Hour Photo is that at one point they have a scene with an Evangelion action figure, even though at that point it was obscure nerd bait no mainstream toy store would sell. This is because Robin Williams is a huge nerd and he brought the Evangelion action figure himself from his own collection, just as a silly in-joke.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V5FmFaK7pMU

Sleeveless has a new favorite as of 03:08 on Feb 19, 2016

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Its weird how we think of Robin Williams as a comic actor, when he probably starred in as many dramas as comedies.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Krispy Kareem posted:

Its weird how we think of Robin Williams as a comic actor, when he probably starred in as many dramas as comedies.

because he was a standup comic

Battle Rockers
Aug 3, 2008

i wanna witness ur slit

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

I think the other one you are talking about is called Insomnia. Great movie too.

He had one other one I liked, but I can't remember the title. Basically he was some kind of funeral director dude who make videos of people's memories off a chip they had implanted as a kid, and then it turned into a murder mystery and some big kerfuffle cause he apparently had one installed as a kid and didn't know about it, which is a BIG NO NO for that particular job since you have unfettered access to someone's entire life.

Neat idea, and damned if I can remember how it ends, but I remember thinking "Holy poo poo, this is Robin Williams and he is kicking rear end at this".

The Final Cut

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Despite being elected for the dumbest possible reasons, President Komacho in Idiocracy is actually the best candidate they have for the society they are living in. He is the only one that notices that things have gone wrong at all, and even though he doesn't know how to fix it himself (Brawndo's probably run things for longer than he's been alive) he knows that Not Sure is smart enough to figure it out and gives him a think tank and unlimited resources to fix it. This actually makes him (After Not Sure and Rita) the third smartest man in the US, and the absolute smartest before they arrive.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
I watched the new Ninja Turtles movie recently. It was a fun distraction. At one point April O'Neil calls Will Arnett's character Vernon. Vernon is in the middle of making a sandwich with just parmesan cheese and yellow mustard. GOB eats the same culinary masterpiece in the 4th season of Arrested Development.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

deoju posted:

I watched the new Ninja Turtles movie recently. It was a fun distraction. At one point April O'Neil calls Will Arnett's character Vernon. Vernon is in the middle of making a sandwich with just parmesan cheese and yellow mustard. GOB eats the same culinary masterpiece in the 4th season of Arrested Development.

I'm confused about where him being named Vernon comes into this. The cartoon had a cameraman named Vernon too, although it was kind of a different character.

http://turtlepedia.wikia.com/wiki/Vernon

Also the mustard/parmesan thing from AD was probably a shoutout to Martin Mull, who played Gene Parmesan and also Col Mustard in Clue.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Wild T posted:

Skittering, and... skittering, and... Would you like to know more?

Fixed

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Polaron posted:

The ur example (though going in reverse from how it usually goes) is, of course, Leslie Nielson.
Leslie Nielson carried, practically at all times, a fart noise maker.

https://youtu.be/NwG43YBik4s

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

John Big Booty posted:

The man is the best thing to ever come out of Canada with his closest competition being Canada Dry Ginger Ale.

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

BioEnchanted posted:

Despite being elected for the dumbest possible reasons, President Komacho in Idiocracy is actually the best candidate they have for the society they are living in. He is the only one that notices that things have gone wrong at all, and even though he doesn't know how to fix it himself (Brawndo's probably run things for longer than he's been alive) he knows that Not Sure is smart enough to figure it out and gives him a think tank and unlimited resources to fix it. This actually makes him (After Not Sure and Rita) the third smartest man in the US, and the absolute smartest before they arrive.

Hell, I'd vote for him today if he was running.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

John Big Booty posted:

http://www.avclub.com/article/surely-you-cant-be-serious-oral-history-airplane-218043#welcome-to-the-machine

quote:

Bryant: He was selling them for $7.00 apiece, and I think he sold them to every single person in the cast and crew, so I’m sure he made more money from that than he did from shooting the movie! But we would all sit around with our farting machines during rehearsals, and there’d be just this cacophony of farts.

Hays: The camera operator had one, the sound guy had one, and when the first A.D. would say, “Okay, roll sound!” you’d hear [Fart sound.] “Speed!” “Roll camera!” [Fart sound.] “Speed!” And pretty soon Jerry would just scream, “Goddammit, get those things off the set!”

That whole article is worth reading BTW.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Canemacar posted:

Hell, I'd vote for him today if he was running.

He's a joke, but at the same time it makes total sense he got elected. On top of all he did with Not Sure, he pitched all of it in a way that his constituency understood and related to. You know the 'have a beer with' politicians that almost always make things worse, but look good doing it? Komacho is that, but actually a good leader.

If he's not one of the best world leaders in all of fiction, he's drat close.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
The subtlest joke in Idiocracy is that it's a stupid dick and fart comedy made by an Alex Jones listener that became an unironic argument for eugenics by idiots who think they're smarter than everyone else.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I think my favourite line in that movie is "THIS GUY JUST GOT HIS rear end A PARDON! :byodood:"

I like the backgrounds in Idiocracy as well. Like when Not Sure first looks out the window:

Love the two buildings held up by lashing them together. There's a lot of imagination there.

Also love the subtle background gag (at least I missed it initially) surrounding the airplane. At the beginning of the movie the cops are chasing Not Sure and his new friend and they abandon the car, which then gets shot up until it explodes. One of the pieces of shrapnel gets launched so high it hits a passing plane which falls from the sky. Later at Walmart, look at what's laying in the isles in the background:

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
You can see Beavis and Butt-head in the gigantic family tree as well as other Mike Judge created characters such as Tom Anderson.

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

Sleeveless posted:

A PYF subtle movie moment from One Hour Photo is that at one point they have a scene with an Evangelion action figure, even though at that point it was obscure nerd bait no mainstream toy store would sell.

It's also definitely not for kids, holy poo poo

Sleeveless posted:

This is because Robin Williams is a huge nerd and he brought the Evangelion action figure himself from his own collection, just as a silly in-joke.

I always wondered if the nightmare where he bleeds profusely from his eyes was a reference to Evangelion

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

John Big Booty posted:

Both of these men are now dead.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.
I'm a sucker for 'Idiocracy.' It's so drat quotable, and the sets/costumes are fantastic. A fun subtle thing I read on the IMDB trivia page is that the Great Garbage Avalanche toward the beginning of the film is caused by a single recyclable aluminum can.

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
A can of Brawndo, which caused the whole food shortage to begin with.

amusinginquiry
Nov 8, 2009

College Slice

John Big Booty posted:

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I don't know if it counts as subtle, but its a minor not-plot related thing in Primer:

Before all the time-travel chicanery that goes on, three guys are discussing the technical issues behind a product, or something. I love the scene because (movie or not) I love listening to two people, intelligent in their field, discussing a problem or something in a high-level way. The kind of stuff they kept cutting away from in Mythbusters, and for some reason I really love that scene in the movie.

MisterBibs has a new favorite as of 21:44 on Feb 20, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

On rewatching Stranger Than Fiction I noticed some new stuff that I hadn't hit on before: Penny and Karen directly mirror Harold and Ana. Karen and Harold are both people at a self-destructively reclusive point in their lives, Harold a number-obsessed robot, spinning his wheels unable to figure out what he really wants, and Karen an author and hermit who has barely left her apartment in 10 years preferring to wallow in her own mind. Harold needs looseness in his life and Karen needs grounding, which are provided by Ana and Penny respectively. Also Harold and Penny are both relatively humourless no-nonsense aides, assigned to unorthodox individuals who don't want them or feel the need for them at all.

Also Karen's apartment is shot only in very wide, oblique angles with either severe top-down shots that dwarf the characters or closeups that make the apartment itself (helped by it's sparse furniture) look enormous. This serves to create a strong visual metaphor - when Harold first goes to meet her, he sees a black door give way to an initially infinite-seeming white space while he goes to meet his literal maker. All this brings to mind classical interpretations of Heaven, with Karen filling the Role of God and Penny the role of St Peter, the gatekeeper.