Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Zaepho posted:

Why.. WHY DEAR GOD?? :suicide: DNS exists for a goddamn reason.

:ssh: kaspersky and our remote management doesn't give a poo poo, we use the IP address for discovery when setting up new machines. The software resolves the machine name and uses that for literally everything else. Senior admin doesn't understand this.

DNS is one of the cleanly configured services on the network. Group policy is currently being hammered out since my manager gave me blanket approval to do what I need to do after pointing out three conflicting policies that still weren't applying correctly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Dhcp isn't switch security though. And it's not actually a security measure, it's just that the network has always been running without it and nobody wants to approve setting it up. My senior admin actually thinks it will break kaspersky and our remote management tools because everything has been coded in as IP addresses. He's wrong but convincing him is futile.

It has the side benefit of making it that much more difficult for rogue devices to get on the network, and we don't have to deal with sticky mac addresses or 802.1x or disabling ports.

If a senior admin doesn't know about reservation in DHCP he/she should be drawn and quartered.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I know I'm going to get poo poo for bringing this up again, but I'm so glad my new job doesn't involve a production environment. I'm going to live in my own little world of make believe and it's going to be perfect.

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?
This can only end well. Either you succeed or your delusion makes the fall even more grand.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

If I make it to August and my unemployment resets, I'll be in a better position than I am now. Success has a low bar.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

Judge Schnoopy posted:

:ssh: kaspersky and our remote management doesn't give a poo poo, we use the IP address for discovery when setting up new machines. The software resolves the machine name and uses that for literally everything else. Senior admin doesn't understand this.

DNS is one of the cleanly configured services on the network. Group policy is currently being hammered out since my manager gave me blanket approval to do what I need to do after pointing out three conflicting policies that still weren't applying correctly.
what the gently caress. Turn on active directory discovery and kill your senior admin. Kaspersky is great and you guys are doing dumb poo poo.

edit: print this post and tape it to his monitor.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
DHCP reservations, dynamic arp inspection, dhcp snooping and source guard is the way to go if you REALLY want to keep unauthorized machines off your network. You could also do port-security with static mac addresses but then it's getting too full on.

In general though physical security can go really full on and you don't want to jump on that train unless you absolutely have to. Fun fact, if you want to build a classified network every single network connection has to be via fibre (as in, right to the desktop), every conduit has to be see-through and the switches must be secured within a class C rack, within a locked room, within a locked building.

crunk dork
Jan 15, 2006
Can't wait until I'm smart enough to argue with you guys about stuff

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

crunk dork posted:

This is the internet. You can argue with us about things you don't know anything about!

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Dhcp isn't switch security though. And it's not actually a security measure, it's just that the network has always been running without it and nobody wants to approve setting it up. My senior admin actually thinks it will break kaspersky and our remote management tools because everything has been coded in as IP addresses. He's wrong but convincing him is futile.

It has the side benefit of making it that much more difficult for rogue devices to get on the network, and we don't have to deal with sticky mac addresses or 802.1x or disabling ports.

Judge Schnoopy posted:

:stare:

This senior admin is actually so ignorant it's impressive!

crunk dork
Jan 15, 2006

KillHour posted:

This is the internet. You can argue with us about things you don't know anything about!

Its kind of cool to see different methods or viewpoints on how to best configure things. Helps me get a little practical insight into all this conceptual knowledge I've been gathering this past year and a half or so.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Kashuno posted:

:stare:

This senior admin is actually so ignorant it's impressive!

When I started I came up with a comprehensive plan to implement separate vlans for user data and servers. Senior admin disagreed that I would need to touch every machine on the user network and change the IP addresses.

:grin: servers are all segmented within this range, you can spin that to its own vlan and you're done
:eng99: subnet addresses and gateways will change for any computer we migrate to a new network. If we push the user computers to a completely new network we won't have to reconfigure any server networking. I don't want to mess with server networking.
:grin: but you can just tell the core switch that the computer ips belong to the new vlan and tag the switch ports. That's it. You don't need to touch computers.

I promptly dropped the project because I wanted nothing to do with taking the network down and this guy wasn't listening.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer
You would have had to touch either the PCs or the servers to put them on different subnets. But it would have been worthwhile.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
And if DHCP was in place I wouldn't have to touch anything! But that's so far outside the realm of discussion, even if I were to section off user PCs to their own VLAN and add reservations for all statically assigned PCs (so effectively nothing would change) I still likely wouldn't get approval to implement DHCP on that VLAN.

I have no idea what this network looked like 6 years ago but apparently they were on Novell (and had no idea how to administer it) so they're afraid of letting the Windows domain do their work for them. It was manual before, so let's keep it manual now because we aren't having issues now that we're a mile deep in the rabbit hole!

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Judge Schnoopy posted:

And if DHCP was in place I wouldn't have to touch anything! But that's so far outside the realm of discussion, even if I were to section off user PCs to their own VLAN and add reservations for all statically assigned PCs (so effectively nothing would change) I still likely wouldn't get approval to implement DHCP on that VLAN.

I have no idea what this network looked like 6 years ago but apparently they were on Novell (and had no idea how to administer it) so they're afraid of letting the Windows domain do their work for them. It was manual before, so let's keep it manual now because we aren't having issues now that we're a mile deep in the rabbit hole!

I have never understood old curmudgeon neckbeard IT types and their paranoia of DHCP. Why make so much stupid extra work for yourself? If someone is skilled enough to get access to the rest of your network do you think them not knowing an IP range right off the bat is going to stop them?

BaseballPCHiker fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Feb 19, 2016

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Maybe ya'll can teach me something. We have workstations on one VLAN and printers on another. If a user wants to move a printer, I have to manually go into the switch and

config t
int gi0/24
switchport access vlan 110
description sales_printer

Are you saying there is a better way?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

BaseballPCHiker posted:

I have never understood old curmudgeon neckbeard IT types and there paranoia of DHCP. Why make so much stupid extra work for yourself? If someone is skilled enough to get access to the rest of your network do you think them not knowing an IP range right off the bat is going to stop them?

DHCP can actually be really useful after an attack for forensics. You have logs of every lease out there, and when they were handed out.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

BaseballPCHiker posted:

I have never understood old curmudgeon neckbeard IT types and there paranoia of DHCP. Why make so much stupid extra work for yourself? If someone is skilled enough to get access to the rest of your network do you think them not knowing an IP range right off the bat is going to stop them?
It's the same thinking that leads to people setting static speed/duplex on switch ports. Once upon a time thirty years ago there were rare issues with poor implementations and since then it's "common knowledge" that autonegotiate is unreliable and you should always set static speed/duplex.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

crunk dork posted:

Never stopped me before.

Collateral Damage posted:

It's the same thinking that leads to people setting static speed/duplex on switch ports. Once upon a time thirty years ago there were rare issues with poor implementations and since then it's "common knowledge" that autonegotiate is unreliable and you should always set static speed/duplex.

As a practice, I'd say you're right. But I've had recent issues with auto negotiation that forced me to set port speeds.
It's still a thing you need to keep in the back of your mind.

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Feb 19, 2016

single-mode fiber
Dec 30, 2012

GreenNight posted:

Maybe ya'll can teach me something. We have workstations on one VLAN and printers on another. If a user wants to move a printer, I have to manually go into the switch and

config t
int gi0/24
switchport access vlan 110
description sales_printer

Are you saying there is a better way?

If you know the MAC addresses of all your printers and can set up a RADIUS server, you could do dynamic VLAN assignment based on MAB. Of course, if you can do that you're halfway to deploying 802.1x anyway. If you're in a large environment where it's worth the cost, ISE appliance can greatly help streamline this.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Very little in your environment needs to be static anything. Servers, clients, and basically everything else that isn't a networking switch/firewall/router doesn't need a static IP address assigned at the device. Let DHCP leases and proper use of DNS get the job done. That way things are centrally managed.

I remember talking about a project where I was creating a new vlan and subnet range and my boss asking why I wasn't using a excluded range in my subnet. The thought terrified to have a DHCP scope without excluded addresses. When I told him that my plan was to simply reserve whatever IP address that was leased to the device if we had a reason for the IP to not change, it almost seemed to make him panic.

What if we have a conflict?
What if the DHCP server goes down?
Won't the leased addresses be out of order?

It took the grand majority of our meeting explaining that yes, in the year of our lord 2015, that DHCP wasn't this unreliable monster he remembered from the 90's. That so much time and effort can be saved my simply centrally managing IP's.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

As a practice, I'd say you're right. But I've had recent issues with auto negotiation that forced me to set port speeds.

Its a thing you need to remember for troubleshooting a bad link. Had a cheap thermostat from china that had this same issue about 6 months ago. Still worth the time to not worry about trying to configure anything outside of auto negotiation as your standard config.

Sickening fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Feb 19, 2016

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

crunk dork posted:

Just keep at it and you'll be up to speed in no time. Feel free to argue, it's a good way to learn, and sometimes you speak up and say "I think X is a good solution" and some other person who is an expert will say something like "Well... I personally would do Y, but X will work fine, it's a little simpler, and when you eventually bump up against the limits of X, it won't be too difficult to switch over to Y."

And then like three other people agree, and you feel like a genius.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

single-mode fiber posted:

If you know the MAC addresses of all your printers and can set up a RADIUS server, you could do dynamic VLAN assignment based on MAB. Of course, if you can do that you're halfway to deploying 802.1x anyway. If you're in a large environment where it's worth the cost, ISE appliance can greatly help streamline this.

Yeah we lease our printers, which are actually just big copiers. So the company comes in and replaces, services, etc them at their leisure. IT is never involved unless they get moved.

I know jack about 802.1x or ISE so I may have to look into that.

We do have a RADIUS server already. We use it so my AD login can login to our switches along with auto wireless authentication for end users.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Sickening posted:

Its a thing you need to remember for troubleshooting a bad link. Had a cheap thermostat from china that had this same issue about 6 months ago. Still worth the time to not worry about trying to configure anything outside of auto negotiation as your standard config.

Exactly. I can't see what sort of masochist would even consider having to force speeds/duplex on every single port on a switch.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

GreenNight posted:

Yeah we lease our printers, which are actually just big copiers. So the company comes in and replaces, services, etc them at their leisure. IT is never involved unless they get moved.

I know jack about 802.1x or ISE so I may have to look into that.

We do have a RADIUS server already. We use it so my AD login can login to our switches along with auto wireless authentication for end users.

Make your printer leasing company give you the mac address in a CSV, process the changes using port security, and then let them install to their hearts content. Even better, give them a little portal that accepts a MAC and port label (right off the wall) and lets them update it themselves.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

JFC, instructor led courses are so obnoxious sometimes. Finish the loving labs so we can move on, people.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

H110Hawk posted:

Make your printer leasing company give you the mac address in a CSV, process the changes using port security, and then let them install to their hearts content. Even better, give them a little portal that accepts a MAC and port label (right off the wall) and lets them update it themselves.

Currently don't have any port security setup. Little portal, good idea. Now how to implement.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Sickening posted:

Won't the leased addresses be out of order?

I keep trying to explain to people that the actual IP address doesn't matter, and to let DNS do its thing. If you need to authenticate stuff based on IP then make sure reverse DNS works as well.

They're going to have a poo poo-fit when everything finally moves to IPv6.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
I need to :yotj:
Had the performance review. The evalution went really well. But when we were discussing a raise and a promotion. I got shutdown and told we will discuss that at your next performance review, which will be in june. This was only a inbetween performance review.

That has to be bullshit right?

Barracuda Bang!
Oct 21, 2008

The first rule of No Avatar Club is: you do not talk about No Avatar Club. The second rule of No Avatar Club is: you DO NOT talk about No Avatar Club
Grimey Drawer

Sefal posted:

Had the performance review. The evalution went really well. But when we were discussing a raise and a promotion. I got shutdown and told we will discuss that at your next performance review, which will be in june. This was only a inbetween performance review.

In the immortal words of Robert De Niro's character in the 1998 hit film Ronin, "If there is any doubt -- there is no doubt."

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.
Reading these last couple pages about crazy network setups where 802.1x and NPS aren't being leveraged makes me really sad.

Don't get me wrong, 802.1x is a huge pain in the rear end, especially if you do PXE deployments, but that's why you have an NPS configuration that drops failed authentications to an incredibly limited VLAN. poo poo has changed.

Sickening posted:

If a POWER USER doesn't know about reservation in DHCP he/she should be drawn and quartered.

Fixed that for you. DHCP is ubiquitous, and if you're a power user of any kind that maintains a home network you should at least have a passing familiarity with it. I'm trying to imagine a world where a Junior SysAdmin somehow doesn't know about DHCP reservations and my brain hurts.

Wrath of the Bitch King fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Feb 19, 2016

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

Reading these last couple pages about crazy network setups where 802.1x and NPS aren't being leveraged makes me really sad.

Don't get me wrong, 802.1x is a huge pain in the rear end, especially if you do PXE deployments, but that's why you have an NPS configuration that drops failed authentications to an incredibly limited VLAN. poo poo has changed.

Look it worked in the 90's.

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.

H110Hawk posted:

Look it worked in the 90's.

I originally typed "it isn't the 90s anymore" in the post you quoted but deleted it as I didn't want to come off as too snarky. :shrug:

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Fixed that for you. DHCP is ubiquitous, and if you're a power user of any kind that maintains a home network you should at least have a passing familiarity with it. I'm trying to imagine a world where a Junior SysAdmin somehow doesn't know about DHCP reservations and my brain hurts.

You'll love this then: We have 1 VLAN.
That's it. Just the one.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

So you just have a LAN. Then.

Smuggins
Mar 14, 2008

Blasphemy! Blasphoryou! Blasphoreveryone!
Fun Shoe

Sefal posted:

Yep. Even if it just a fossilized view of "we only talk once a year" that in itself is bad. But is it bad enough to eject before June?

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Sefal posted:

Would the Sysadmin if the year bullshit you?

:yotj:

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Problems with autoneg today are almost always symptoms of a different issue, like lovely NICs or cabling issues.

Setting static speed might disguise the problem if there's not a lot of traffic over the port, but you likely still have an abnormal amount of drops.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

KillHour posted:

So you just have a LAN. Then.

haha yup.

There's a lot of terrible things here that we're pushing to fix. But government is slow, red tape is thick, boss is reluctant, etc...

You don't even want to know the condition of our AD.

Problems with autoneg today are almost always symptoms of a different issue, like lovely NICs or cabling issues.

Setting static speed might disguise the problem if there's not a lot of traffic over the port, but you likely still have an abnormal amount of drops.

The cable was fine, different ports were tried on the switch, different drops in the office, etc... I thought it was the NIC on this Xerox. A Xerox tech replaced the mainboard already but that didn't fix it. Forcing full duplex/100 made it work and that's good enough for me.
gently caress printers.

Among other things I've seen similar problems with lovely Chinese security cameras before. Those were fixed with a firmware update. Except that firmware update bricked about half the cameras it applied to...

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Feb 19, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

I originally typed "it isn't the 90s anymore" in the post you quoted but deleted it as I didn't want to come off as too snarky. :shrug:

I deleted 3 emails this morning after deciding writing a rant to: Idiot A, Idiot A's manager, or my manager would be too bitchy. But seriously when you ask me for the third time in a thread if I am sure the problem is resolved where I have told you personally I don't believe we can even reproduce the issue.... :commissar: This started me saying I don't have a salesforce account please copy out the relevant details including how to reproduce the issue and IdiotA replying "I don't see you in salesforce but the ticket is here: https://salesforce.com/..."