Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

I use it for everything mentioned as well as being notified of top NYTimes headlines, taking phonecalls occasionally when I can't find my cell or I am in my library, using the camera app for remote shooting with my Manfroto minipod, looking quickly at the current weather radar, grabbing an Uber, occasionally controlling music or changing to next track, paying for items with Apple Pay, checking Line and Messenger messages with a glance as well as texts and replying quickly to some, controlling Overcast podcasts on my bluetooth speaker system from my wrist, looking over a document like powerpoint quickly (not something I do often, but when I do I am zooming in on a single slide or two), scrolling through the calendar with time travel since I usually have no less than 15 items on my daily schedule, playing a few interesting games like Lifeline that usefully take advantage of the medium and the haptic feedback, glancing at a photo my family sends me of my kids and seeing the live photo.

It surprises me that people only use their Watch for 2-3 things. Some things are slow (opening Uber or Radar for example) but other things are far better than expected (call quality and voice quality back through the device or tracking calendar related applications).

Shammypants fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Jan 24, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EpicNemesis
Dec 3, 2005
The only apps I use are Disneyland wait time apps and a golf gps app. Other than that it is a notification device and timepiece. I wear it over my breilting because that loving thing dies way too often and I hate winding it and setting the time whenever I want to wear it.

So no ragrets here. If you are using it to read emails and stuff you are going to have a bad day.

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008
Any good third party bands around?

This looks great but can't find any reviews online: http://www.monoweardesign.com/shop/black-metal

CelestialScribe fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Jan 24, 2016

There Will Be Penalty
May 18, 2002

Makes a great pet!
Is it normal for my watch to only receive notifications when it's already awake (and my iPhone is locked or asleep, of course)?

I'd like to be able to receive notifications when the watch is asleep and on my wrist. :-/

EDIT: I've disabled the passcode feature if that means anything.

Unity Gain
Sep 15, 2007

dancing blue

There Will Be Penalty posted:

I'd like to be able to receive notifications when the watch is asleep and on my wrist. :-/

Mine does :shrug:

I have passcode enabled.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
there's a setting that's something like "keep watch on after unlocking phone and phone is close by" or something like that. my watch stays unlocked all day until i either walk out of that range from setting my phone down or docking it

There Will Be Penalty
May 18, 2002

Makes a great pet!

noirstronaut posted:

there's a setting that's something like "keep watch on after unlocking phone and phone is close by" or something like that. my watch stays unlocked all day until i either walk out of that range from setting my phone down or docking it

If you can tell me exactly where that setting is that would be cool. I can't find anything that looks like such a thing.

Do you also have to turn wrist detection off or some such thing?

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

There Will Be Penalty posted:

If you can tell me exactly where that setting is that would be cool. I can't find anything that looks like such a thing.

Do you also have to turn wrist detection off or some such thing?

It's under Passcode. It's the Unlock with iPhone one. And no, mine is on.

There Will Be Penalty
May 18, 2002

Makes a great pet!

noirstronaut posted:

It's under Passcode. It's the Unlock with iPhone one. And no, mine is on.

That requires me to enable the passcode, which I don't want.

Turning off wrist detection *seems* to get me the behavior I want (where Apple Watch receives notifications when it's asleep).

Yeah, makes total sense, I know.

Thank you all very much.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
It enables a passcode but you'd only be putting it in whenever the Watch isn't on your wrist

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
If you get asked for your passcode every time the screen comes on something is definitely wrong.

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

It sounds like he's trying to get notifications while his watch is sitting on a table or something.

Or maybe he has a wrist tattoo.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Or just thinks a passcode on a watch is unnecessary and annoying.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

It is a device with access to email, photos, messages, notifications, reminders and notes

So

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

You don't need the passcode while wearing it.....

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

It's something that you'll encounter once or twice a day and can be bypassed by unlocking your phone while wearing it?

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Haha, jeez, I was just offering another possible reason why he may not want one. I can't help answer his question because there seems to be info missing, but I agree with Dewgy on this part:

Dewgy posted:

If you get asked for your passcode every time the screen comes on something is definitely wrong.

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004

XyrlocShammypants posted:

It is a device with access to notes

What app gives access to notes? I'm surprised it isn't stock.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

savesthedayrocks posted:

What app gives access to notes? I'm surprised it isn't stock.

Evernote for example, not the stock Notes app. Also, it gives access to Wallet and credit cards as a better example.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Setting up Apple Pay on the watch requires a passcode, for info. They won't let you get around that.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Setting up Apple Pay on the watch requires a passcode, for info. They won't let you get around that.

Yes, but I think high-tech hacking is still problematic to where a watch needs security. It's annoying but necessary.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Bill Barber posted:

You don't need the passcode while wearing it.....

Really? Because I didn't set up pay since I didn't want to type a code in just to see my notifications.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Boris Galerkin posted:

Really? Because I didn't set up pay since I didn't want to type a code in just to see my notifications.

You only have to enter the code (or unlock the linked iPhone) after putting the watch on your wrist. After that it stays unlocked until you take it off.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

Oneiros posted:

You only have to enter the code (or unlock the linked iPhone) after putting the watch on your wrist. After that it stays unlocked until you take it off.

Or it gets loose and loses contact with your wrist (which happens with the loop sometimes).

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Is there really no way to get my timer to sync between my phone and watch?

Bisty Q.
Jul 22, 2008

Boris Galerkin posted:

Is there really no way to get my timer to sync between my phone and watch?

Start it on the phone and the watch will alert when it finishes. It doesn't go the other direction (i.e., there is no way to view the remaining time on it from the watch in this use case)

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Are there any good weightlifting apps? I'd just like something that lets me quickly peek at my routine. A rest timer and the ability to record reps/weight would be cool too.

SeANMcBAY fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Feb 9, 2016

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

SeANMcBAY posted:

Are there any good weightlifting apps? I'd just like something that lets me quickly peek at my routine. A rest timer and the ability to record reps/weight would be cool too.

Strong is the best.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

bobfather posted:

Strong is the best.

I do like that one but it doesn't seem to have an Apple Watch app.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

SeANMcBAY posted:

I do like that one but it doesn't seem to have an Apple Watch app.

Which is actually fine, because the Apple Watch does a terrible job at tracking weight lifting as a workout.

The Gillman
Jul 8, 2004
Beaten with a sack of sweet Valencia oranges
Grimey Drawer

SeANMcBAY posted:

I do like that one but it doesn't seem to have an Apple Watch

I would find an app on the watch very useful but it will send you a notification for your timers if the screen is off.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Bisty Q. posted:

Start it on the phone and the watch will alert when it finishes. It doesn't go the other direction (i.e., there is no way to view the remaining time on it from the watch in this use case)

Yeah but starting it on my phone doesn't allow me to look at my watch to see where my timer is at, and starting it on my watch doesn't let me see on my phone where my timer is at. Why can't they talk.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I've had the watch for a couple of days now and I'm pretty darn happy with it. I was worried about battery life but for what I'm using it for (notifications / texting / exercise) I can make it all day without worrying about the phone dying. Couple of questions:

- Is there a known issue with quick replies? I'll receive a message on Hangouts and it lets me reply. I dictate whatever and hit send. A couple of minutes later I'll check on the phone and my reply wasn't sent at all. So far it's happened a couple of times and I can't tell why.

- Stocks app :argh:

- Any reason phone alarms don't sync?

Overall I'm pretty happy with it especially since I got the watch for cheap ($100 off + some gift cards on Best Buy). I'll probably end up spending money on another band and a charger for the office. If Waze can get a watchOS app going it would be pretty awesome.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

- Is there a known issue with quick replies? I'll receive a message on Hangouts and it lets me reply. I dictate whatever and hit send. A couple of minutes later I'll check on the phone and my reply wasn't sent at all. So far it's happened a couple of times and I can't tell why.
I use Fantastical for reminders and noticed the notification actions with it were flaky, like I'd mark them done on the watch notifications but checking them later on the phone they weren't always done. I ended up just switching over to the built in reminders notifications on the watch and leaving Fantastical ones on the phone.

I think the watch app might've been better about it, but then that involves launching the app which takes however many seconds, at which point you might as well just pull out the phone if it's not inconvenient.

And who knows about the separate alarms!

More watch chat of my own, I used it during the LA Marathon yesterday with stopwatch and timer complications on the main face. Other than also wanting a workout complication, it would've been nice to be able to start/stop stuff from the complication rather than needing to go into the apps. Like use 3D Touch rather than force touch, where it's target specific rather than the full screen.

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

They're what's for dinner
Against my better judgement I picked one of these up a few weeks ago when my Pebble broke for the 3rd time. Was able to get it relatively cheap due to open box special + haggling with them at Best Buy.

How accurate is the heart rate monitor? I tend to wear mine a little farther up my forearm and I'm getting readings that are lower than I'd expect. Am I just wearing it wrong?

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

I've found the Apple Watch to be probably the best optical HR monitor I've had, although that bar for success is pretty low. The Android Wear device I had and the Fitbit Charge HR may as well have just been random number generators.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I find my Apple Watch to be pretty consistent with the Fibit Charge HR I was wearing before.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
It matches the pulse oximeter my wife uses for work pretty closely.

Frabba
May 30, 2008

Investing in chewy toy futures
In terms of resting heart rate, there is a 1bpm discrepancy between my fitbit charge and my watch. It's close enough that I don't care. I'm one of those weird people who actually wear both at the same time.

For tracking during workouts, I'd recommend a Polar H7 or similar. I don't trust either wrist based device to accurately track me during workouts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

robodex posted:

How accurate is the heart rate monitor?
I've used mine for about six months, and in general it works great until it doesn't.

That is, it's either quite accurate or obviously wrong (e.g. showing 86 when it should be in the 130s). The method of getting it to go from obviously wrong to accurate during a workout has escaped me so far, but it usually fixes itself within a minute or so.

• Locked thread