Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

I've had vendors BRAG that "we built our entire product on top of Microsoft Sharepoint, so you know it's reliable"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Thanks Ants posted:

Because IT probably advised against SharePoint but have been told to deploy it anyway.

Oh god this, when I worked for a city we got rid of a unix command line only software for payroll / and something else I honestly can't remember but both used access 2007. This was in 2014. We migrated to a 7 year old version of access had to uninstall office install access 2007 then install office sans access or the software would freak out and crash. We bought this because the finance director had used it previously and loved it because he could add stuff himself.

The people selling the software didn't disable code of any kind. The software was horrible. I voiced that we shouldn't use access based software especially one that can't be migrated past 2007 because the developers are so lovely they can't get it to work on newer version. Only one out of 3 other people in IT agreed with me. General stance was "it's what the users want just loving do it". You know what? No we didn't demo stuff, I saw the price tag and it's more then actual software. We can get them a better project, you just have some guy that fancies himself a hobby programmer that wants to be able to modify the software to do who knows what.

This got even better when around the time I left purchased another piece of software for a department that required access 2013. The software requiring 2007 had to be on everyone's computers because that is how you requested time off. I have no idea how they ended up handling this.

Save your users from their own stupid tell them that this is very likely to conflict with stuff and it being based on access means its likely coded poorly and to find a better product. No real company is going to use access as their database, and if they do they are going to hide it not proudly proclaim it.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

pixaal posted:

This got even better when around the time I left purchased another piece of software for a department that required access 2013. The software requiring 2007 had to be on everyone's computers because that is how you requested time off. I have no idea how they ended up handling this.

Teamviewer! :pseudo:

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else
On my domain that poo poo itself last week:

The issue was that the KDC would authenticate everything on the domain and hand out tickets just fine, but it couldn't authenticate to itself. No idea why. Solution was to seize FMSO roles, migrate the CA to another server, and force demote it from the domain. That was one hell of a day.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

pixaal posted:

This got even better when around the time I left purchased another piece of software for a department that required access 2013. The software requiring 2007 had to be on everyone's computers because that is how you requested time off.

Now this is where true madness lies

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Super Slash posted:

Now this is where true madness lies

I know a certain BBQ chain in texas where payroll for every store and employee is done through Microsoft excel and nothing else.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Sickening posted:

I know a certain BBQ chain in texas where payroll for every store and employee is done through Microsoft excel and nothing else.

small and franchise businesses dot txt

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

I was at the weekly production meeting (IT goes because people are stupid with everything related to computer). This week they were talking about keeping track of inventory based on location and a few other factors in excel for easy viewing. They were going to transcribe the data from Navision every morning and make that someone's job. We already have a report that does this, apparently no one knew about it.

A few months ago they were discussing using excel to keep track of a list of internal emails to mail when things related to different issues came up and where to put it. Instead of all this I got a list and made a mailing list. No one had any idea this could be done. People keep trying to throw excel at everything.

I feel like I waste my time 99% of the time. But I save so many man hours stopping them from doing something stupid that they don't realized there is an easier way.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Cox cable hosed up a remote location for us.

Quoted us $109.99 for 50mb internet. Okay cool. Set it up.

First bill? $400!

Internet + 5 email accounts, web hosting, voicemail, call forwarding, a pile of other poo poo we didn't ask for.

Not only that, they didn't send it to our main office which we tried to explain to them a million times to do, they sent it to the remote office.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Sickening posted:

I worked for a national high end clothing retailer that literally has an excel spreadsheet for every single store that some poor lackeys set up every month and then dropped them into local store shares. It wasn't exactly for payroll but it did contain all the projections and employee hours for the month.

Every few days with out fail, some store would password protect and forget the password OR they would destroy the workbook in some way.

BEELLIONS OF DOLLARS and they still use excel.

Cactus Jack
Nov 16, 2005

If you even try to throw to my side of the field in a dream, you better wake up and apologize.

Sickening posted:

Up until about 5 or 6 years ago a major Southern supermarket chain was using Excel for payroll. That place had a lot of problems.

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.

Bob Morales posted:

I've had vendors BRAG that "we built our entire product on top of Microsoft Sharepoint, so you know it's reliable"

Imagine saying the same thing but about Documentum.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?

I always thought Documentum sounded like a terminal disease.

"I'm sorry. You've got Terminal Documentum. You've got six months to live."

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
Some days I fill in for a missing production supervisor and when I get to the office, the PC will have the last four people that used it still logged in, several with many programs still open. The computer runs like a pig, so I'm in the habit of rebooting the thing at the start of the day. If they have unsaved work on there, gently caress em' for having bad work habits.

Last week, when I rebooted the the PC it tried to install some windows updates, rebooted, and then locked up on reboot and said there was a fatal error or something and wanted the windows install disk. I called the IT guy, he came and did some stuff, and it worked again. NBD, I thought.

I found out two days ago that after that the IT guy was up in the plant manager's office raising hell and saying there's no reason for anyone to be rebooting PCs and if I don't stop I may ruin a PC and they'll have to drop another 3K to the MSP to replace it.

So it's me, I'm the poo poo pissing someone off.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

tactlessbastard posted:

Some days I fill in for a missing production supervisor and when I get to the office, the PC will have the last four people that used it still logged in, several with many programs still open. The computer runs like a pig, so I'm in the habit of rebooting the thing at the start of the day. If they have unsaved work on there, gently caress em' for having bad work habits.

Last week, when I rebooted the the PC it tried to install some windows updates, rebooted, and then locked up on reboot and said there was a fatal error or something and wanted the windows install disk. I called the IT guy, he came and did some stuff, and it worked again. NBD, I thought.

I found out two days ago that after that the IT guy was up in the plant manager's office raising hell and saying there's no reason for anyone to be rebooting PCs and if I don't stop I may ruin a PC and they'll have to drop another 3K to the MSP to replace it.

So it's me, I'm the poo poo pissing someone off.

Meanwhile, someone in my IT department was shocked that I used hibernate and didn't restart daily.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

If it's not a Cisco switch you can reboot it. Cisco switches you have to play the uptime game. Dems the rules.

Cattle not pets, cattle not pets.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
We've had people kicking around the idea of Sharepoint at work for years, but it never gets beyond "You know, sharepoint would really help with...." because no one wants to run it, and they really don't want to hire someone for it. We don't have a good way of managing documents within and between departments, instead things are sent out to a shared folder on the network to linger in obscurity.

Virigoth posted:

If it's not a Cisco switch you can reboot it. Cisco switches you have to play the uptime game. Dems the rules.

Cattle not pets, cattle not pets.

We use juniper gear everywhere at work, and their SRX gear occasionally has a nasty habit of loving up on a reboot, fails to swap to the backup image, and then just loving sits there. Power failing it will bring it back up, but its a massive pain in the rear end if someone worked on it and didn't copy the changes over to the backup image.
Also their switches take a long time to boot, and are completely dark the entire time they are booting, so you can't really tell what is going on if you don't have a console cable plugged in. Makes every reboot feel like you broke it.

CitizenKain fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Feb 19, 2016

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

SharePoint Online?

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
I'm not a web guy. I'm trying to help out a non-profit, and I feel like there's a very simple answer to this that I'm on the verge of, and just missing something simple or stupid. It's a domain network, and whenever we go to the website while logged into the domain or connected to the network via wifi, it resolves to the local server (the IIS7 page). I tried to fix it by editing the hosts file on the server, and no dice. If I try to directly navigate to the IP address for the site, it doesn't resolve, either (did a domain lookup just to make sure I was doing it correctly) either from an outside or internal network.

What am I missing? I feel like this is something easy and dumb, and Googling it hasn't brought me to anything helpful other than "edit the hosts file," which doesn't seem to fix anything.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Tab8715 posted:

SharePoint Online?

This so, so much (if you can afford it...)

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

CitizenKain posted:

We've had people kicking around the idea of Sharepoint at work for years, but it never gets beyond "You know, sharepoint would really help with...." because no one wants to run it, and they really don't want to hire someone for it. We don't have a good way of managing documents within and between departments, instead things are sent out to a shared folder on the network to linger in obscurity.

Dropbox, ShareFile, or something similar perhaps? The best KM platform in the world won't help if your users are disorganized.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Thanatosian posted:

I'm not a web guy. I'm trying to help out a non-profit, and I feel like there's a very simple answer to this that I'm on the verge of, and just missing something simple or stupid. It's a domain network, and whenever we go to the website while logged into the domain or connected to the network via wifi, it resolves to the local server (the IIS7 page). I tried to fix it by editing the hosts file on the server, and no dice. If I try to directly navigate to the IP address for the site, it doesn't resolve, either (did a domain lookup just to make sure I was doing it correctly) either from an outside or internal network.

What am I missing? I feel like this is something easy and dumb, and Googling it hasn't brought me to anything helpful other than "edit the hosts file," which doesn't seem to fix anything.

So you're non-profit named "thing" and their AD domain is thing.org and also their website is thing.org? And going to thing.org on a domain machine or the wifi (does the wifi use the DC for DNS?) points to a web server running on the domain controller rather than their proper website?

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

FISHMANPET posted:

So you're non-profit named "thing" and their AD domain is thing.org and also their website is thing.org? And going to thing.org on a domain machine or the wifi (does the wifi use the DC for DNS?) points to a web server running on the domain controller rather than their proper website?
Yeah, I think the domain and website are the same. And yeah, the wifi uses the DC for DNS. And yup, going to thing.org resolves to the DC instead of the website. Please tell me the solution isn't to rename the domain. D:

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Put in a DNS alias for https://www.thing.org pointing to the website and have a prominent link to it on the domain controllers default website. Not an ideal fix but it may be an OK work around.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Varkk posted:

Put in a DNS alias for https://www.thing.org pointing to the website and have a prominent link to it on the domain controllers default website. Not an ideal fix but it may be an OK work around.
The https address doesn't resolve, unfortunately. Now that I know what to look for, is this a good fix?

EDIT: They use DreamHost as their host, and have not purchased a unique IP. I'm guessing that's going to be more of a problem? (See wiki entry here).

Ham Equity fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Feb 19, 2016

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?
Oh, what's that? The /users api call in your lovely app echoes out every single loving customer with no authentication whatsoever and you didn't catch that?

Thank god this is pre-production.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I bet that was a fun discussion to bring up.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Thanatosian posted:

Yeah, I think the domain and website are the same. And yeah, the wifi uses the DC for DNS. And yup, going to thing.org resolves to the DC instead of the website. Please tell me the solution isn't to rename the domain. D:

Stupid question but are you putting a https://www. in front of the domain name when trying to go to the website? I've seen this before and while the DNS alias fix is probably the way to go it could be just as simple as putting www in your browsers address bar.

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Stupid question but are you putting a https://www. in front of the domain name when trying to go to the website? I've seen this before and while the DNS alias fix is probably the way to go it could be just as simple as putting www in your browsers address bar.

im also working on this problem, yeah we tried adding that.

for my part I'm just really confused why editing the host file didn't work. we pointed it directly to the ip but it simply times out. Although come to think of it I remember seeing that apparently the host has several different sites tied to the same ip so that is probably why. Is that normal? Or really stupid? I'm extremely out of my depth here.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Ynglaur posted:

Meanwhile, someone in my IT department was shocked that I used hibernate and didn't restart daily.

Is restarting bad :confused:

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Farecoal posted:

Is restarting bad :confused:

No, but you shouldn't have to do it daily. I restart when there's patches, but very rarely otherwise.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

bull3964 posted:

No, but you shouldn't have to do it daily. I restart when there's patches, but very rarely otherwise.

The senior embedded programmer shuts down his laptop before he undocks or docks his laptop, which is multiple times per day, because I guess that caused errors for him once, in Windows XP, years ago.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Developers can be super superstitious, you'd think being programming geniuses would mean they understand the computers they depend on a whole lot better, but nope.

My anecdote is this one dude who insisted I reboot the company's build server after every single make, because the "top" command showed that not all memory was free and he insisted on his compile having access to every bit of ram it could get access to. I must have explained dozens of times how "used" memory was probably pages the kernel was holding on to for allocating to processes, but he never did figure out.

Unfortunately the dude was untouchable because he'd written 75% of the company's product so I couldn't straight up tell him to gently caress off, I just had to apologize to everyone else in the company every time the server went down.

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".

Tarranon posted:

im also working on this problem, yeah we tried adding that.

for my part I'm just really confused why editing the host file didn't work. we pointed it directly to the ip but it simply times out. Although come to think of it I remember seeing that apparently the host has several different sites tied to the same ip so that is probably why. Is that normal? Or really stupid? I'm extremely out of my depth here.

Adding a host header entry for thing.org and www.thing.org on the correct website (I think they might be called mappings now actually) is how we used to host many sites on one ip and get them to show the correct website based on what the browser requested.

This won't work for ssl though... You have to have different ip's which is why one of my clients has 30 ip's on their single server

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

xzzy posted:

My anecdote is this one dude who insisted I reboot the company's build server after every single make, because the "top" command showed that not all memory was free and he insisted on his compile having access to every bit of ram it could get access to. I must have explained dozens of times how "used" memory was probably pages the kernel was holding on to for allocating to processes, but he never did figure out.

Unfortunately the dude was untouchable because he'd written 75% of the company's product so I couldn't straight up tell him to gently caress off, I just had to apologize to everyone else in the company every time the server went down.
Should have made a script to replace the shutdown command which spoofed the shutdown sequence, then disconnected all the login sessions of the calling user and set up a temporary local firewall rule to drop all connections from the calling user's IP. Then after a few minutes automatically unblock it again.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

xzzy posted:

Developers can be super superstitious, you'd think being programming geniuses would mean they understand the computers they depend on a whole lot better, but nope.

This was probably my biggest shock after getting a job in dev - most regular developers don't seem to know their rear end from their elbow outside of actual programming. Most devs don't know anything about computer hardware, some don't know OS basics, and a very special few could barely navigate windows.

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.

ChickenWing posted:

This was probably my biggest shock after getting a job in dev - most regular developers don't seem to know their rear end from their elbow outside of actual programming. Most devs don't know anything about computer hardware, some don't know OS basics, and a very special few could barely navigate windows.

I love DevOps where I work. They were developing some kind of application but wanted better error handling. So they came to us, the Systems team, asking if Solarwinds could poll the server running the application/service and fire off an e-mail whenever a specific EventID was detected. But the senior developer would need to figure out how to write to the Event Log first.

It was a moot discussion anyway since we said, "Uh, no, why don't you just have your application send an SMTP message whenever it experiences an error or fault? You know, the application YOU'RE BUILDING?"

There are a lot of incompetent people here that somehow remain meaningfully employed AND in positions of relative influence.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

There are a lot of incompetent people here that somehow remain meaningfully employed AND in positions of relative influence.

employed.txt

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

namlosh posted:

Adding a host header entry for thing.org and https://www.thing.org on the correct website (I think they might be called mappings now actually) is how we used to host many sites on one ip and get them to show the correct website based on what the browser requested.

This won't work for ssl though... You have to have different ip's which is why one of my clients has 30 ip's on their single server

I think the issue here is that thing.org is resolving to the domain controllers due to the internal domain being the same as the companies external domain instead of ad.thing.org or similar.

Not much you can really do about that, other than adding www as a host and pointing it at the web server.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unclenutzzy
Jun 6, 2007
Speaking of restarting, look at these words I received in response after asking someone to reboot earlier today.

quote:

Mac users, and I go back with Macs a long way, aren’t used to having to restart frequently. I’ve gone more than 3 months w/o a restart in the past with no detriment to the performance of my computer or applications. And I’m a power user. I know people that haven’t restarted their machines for 6 months at a time. At any given point, Mac users, specifically Creatives, have between 10 and 20 applications up and running. So, we’re constantly in a situation where we are leveraging a bevy of open documents. We have fonts activated for those documents. We have reference files and support files open on 2nd monitors. Restarting, while sometimes necessary, is a major disruption for productivity.

Restarting can be a cure-all, but it’s also a kill-all. The less we have to do it, the more we can get done. The better we can hit our deadlines. The happier we make the people that depend on us.

Thank God today is this guys last day.