Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

Was Catterick on BBC3?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Official Manchester United Posting Partner 2015/16
Fan of Britches
Enjoyed the return of Partridge, thought I heard at the end that it was all on Sky Atlantic already so might binge watch that tomorrow.

Death Zebra
May 14, 2014

BBC3 is airing programming between 1am and 4am O.O

The Big Taff Man posted:

Enjoyed the return of Partridge, thought I heard at the end that it was all on Sky Atlantic already so might binge watch that tomorrow.

poo poo, I forgot about that! No excuse really seeing as how reminders exist and I use them all the time.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
the line in happy valley ep 2 about the 'Halifax mafia' made me laugh way too much

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

I liked the BBC Three sixty second news update now back to family guy.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo

Escobarbarian posted:

the line in happy valley ep 2 about the 'Halifax mafia' made me laugh way too much

It's hilarious how many small towns have mafias. I'm from Blackpool and there's definitely one there.

The old joke used to be that they'd put a donkey's head in your bed.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
BBC3 had Uncle and Cuckoo which were awesome. Also, a new series of Cuckoo just started, I guess they actually still are making content.

I'll still miss American Dad, though.

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

Want to see a lot of old people terrified of change? Look up #BBCThree on twitter.

A whole lot of people denying live TV is dwindling, and a LOT of people angry at the loss of Family Guy repeats.

BBC3 must have got amazing ratings from showing those same dozen episodes of Family Guy over and over. So many complaints from people, some of them quite young, that they couldn't fall asleep watching Family Guy last night. Cos there's just no other way of watching the show ever again...

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Someone tell these dummies ITV's bought the rights.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Mr. Squishy posted:

The perfect excuse to never watch Family Guy again! (Unless you have an internet connection).

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun

Mr. Squishy posted:

But then Twitter is full of crybabies moaning that their beloved racist cartoon will now be shown with adverts. Adverts! There's literally no way to skip them.

Lemon
May 22, 2003

J_RBG posted:

Was Catterick on BBC3?

I believe so. Between that and 15 Storeys High I don't care how much other crap they made.

Chocolate Teapot
May 8, 2009

SeanBeansShako posted:

Don't forget Fifteen Stories High as well people. Snuffbox was also shown on it.

I remember when they killed off a second series of Snuffbox, because it didn't fit the absurdly specific new age group they were trying (and failed) to target.

They also canned Paul Rose's comedy series.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7LFM05IgZ8

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Wormophile posted:

Fight My Dad, Me and My Bum, Dawn Does Piss Play.

Stacey Dooley Gets Trafficked

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer
How the hell did I only just find out there was a third series of 'My Mad Fat Diary'?? I just watched the first episode, christ it is like a soundtrack to my 18 year old self.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Chocolate Teapot posted:

I remember when they killed off a second series of Snuffbox, because it didn't fit the absurdly specific new age group they were trying (and failed) to target.

I need to know more about this, link me if you can.

At least the BBC3 is at rest, It wasn't the first thing to be fiddled with and then brushed under the carpet by a confused and uncaring BBC now.

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Official Manchester United Posting Partner 2015/16
Fan of Britches

Rondette posted:

How the hell did I only just find out there was a third series of 'My Mad Fat Diary'?? I just watched the first episode, christ it is like a soundtrack to my 18 year old self.

It's awful mate. Its a pity because I really liked the first two

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Is nobody else watching Happy Valley? Some heartbreaking scenes in episode 2.

Manic X
Jul 1, 2015

:britain:

quote:

BBC Gone

And who can forget one of the strangest programmes to appear on it: Wilfred.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Escobarbarian posted:

Is nobody else watching Happy Valley? Some heartbreaking scenes in episode 2.

It's quickly overtaking any given soap around Christmas in the "Bad Things Happen Constantly" stakes.

Which is what I want from a BBC drama.

The Big Taff Man posted:

It's awful mate. Its a pity because I really liked the first two

I watched the third series when it aired and all I can remember from it is how they had to make Rae completely unlikable to run back from the happy ending of the second series. Like, it's very obvious they wrote the second series expecting that to be the end, then were commissioned again.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Manic X posted:

Oh yeah, I forgot we briefly got a few Aussie/New Zealand TV imports with BBC3.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Wasn't it the American version on BBC3

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Escobarbarian posted:

Wasn't it the American version on BBC3

Was it? I never got around to seeing it truth be told.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

The strangest thing about Wilfred is that it shows there are actually Australians outside of The Chaser with original thoughts*.

So much Aus TV is just localised from the UK. They even did a TV Burp that looked and felt identical. It's like watching ITV but everyone is tanned.

* one of his other original thoughts was to assault a bus driver, mind.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
BBC3 had a lot of good shows and a lot of garbage ones, but which channel hasn't got a bunch of boring poo poo on it? Apart from BBC4 obv

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

It's just the reaction that confuses me. Look at the comments here.

So many people demanding they do away with the license fee...because they can't watch the same dozen episodes of Family Guy every night?

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

It's just the reaction that confuses me. Look at the comments here.

So many people demanding they do away with the license fee...because they can't watch the same dozen episodes of Family Guy every night?

People are dumb.

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun
I like the people moaning about how they should get rid of BBC4 instead because it's just boring documentaries n poo poo.

And the guy who's now got to 'fork out' for WiFi. What kind of third world hell hole does he live in?

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

SEX BURRITO posted:

I like the people moaning about how they should get rid of BBC4 instead because it's just boring documentaries n poo poo.

And the guy who's now got to 'fork out' for WiFi. What kind of third world hell hole does he live in?

Croydon.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Manic X posted:

I've just been watching Wilfred for the first time and I think BBC3 did it a disservice with the adverts that were on about it. They never really made clear that it's not just a man dressed as a dog but it's a whole mystery about Elijah Wood seeing Wilfred as a man instead of a dog. It's actually really intriguing. I wouldn't say it's hilarious but it's a bit like series 1-3 of Scrubs - plenty of funny bits with well done human drama in between.
Then some utterly crazy poo poo that makes you wonder what the gently caress is going on. I like it a lot.

And I'm sort of sad to see BBC3 go because it was a good place for experimenting. Utterly bizzare whacky poo poo will never get put onto BBC1/2. You'd be surprised how many people still watch live TV as well - while the group that uses SA is more likely to move to entirely on demand plenty of people just don't have enough understanding of the internet to use services like Netflix and etc.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

I liked Wilfred up until the point where the writers felt that they had a mystery to solve. I always preferred it when it made no sense whatsoever.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Gorn Myson posted:

I always preferred it when it made no sense whatsoever.

And if that isn't the perfect eulogy for BBC 3 then I don't know what is.

Al2001
Apr 7, 2007

You've gone through at the back

Taear posted:

And I'm sort of sad to see BBC3 go because it was a good place for experimenting. Utterly bizzare whacky poo poo will never get put onto BBC1/2.

I think they paid lip-service to the idea of putting some BBC3-style programmes on BBC1/2, but seeing as they also have to appease Daily Express reading Tories 24/7 now it's not going to happen is it?

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Al2001 posted:

I think they paid lip-service to the idea of putting some BBC3-style programmes on BBC1/2, but seeing as they also have to appease Daily Express reading Tories 24/7 now it's not going to happen is it?

BBC1 is now exclusively for Dr Who, Eastenders and Strictly. BBC2 is for ???? (but don't dare touch it). BBC4 is also for ???? but again, apparently integral.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
BBC4 is where all the good documentaries are, but BBC1 and 2 are predominantly garbage.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

BBC 2 used to be awesome growing up for comedy. I don't think I can name a single show that airs on there now that wasn't airing then too (HIGNFY, Top Gear, Newsnight) except QI. And I'm not 100% sure about that.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

HIGNFY was promoted from BBC 2 to 1 16 years ago.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
"promoted"

I think that's all bbc2 has been for a while now, a testbed for bbc1

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Cerv posted:

HIGNFY was promoted from BBC 2 to 1 16 years ago.

Ha, had no idea. I haven't watched it in years, the rotating host thing never did much for me most of the time. #teamAngus

(This is probably where someone tells me they stopped guest hosts years ago...)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun
BBC2 seems to be full of reality TV masquerading as 'documentaries', property shows, and Great British ______. Plus benefit swindler type shows during the day. So it's impossible to tell it apart from C4.