Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Woptendo
Mar 23, 2006

FebrezeNinja posted:

I know people said all of these were used but #3 just now worked for me so dunno.

Just tried the others and looks like they're all used up now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Jackard posted:

What am I looking at? How do I join the correct server?

I wasn't paying attention before. I have the same server selection and my launcher is definitely set to NA - it tells me that at the login screen and everything.

If this is the EU sever selection then I don't know. Are you Oceanic like me? Maybe we get tossed in with the Euros by default. Or perhaps it's just bugged?

Well for what it's worth the game didn't feel excessively laggy like most of the times I play multiplayer games with Euros from Australia. It actually felt really good playing it... so gently caress it. If I'm stuck playing with Euros then I guess I'm actually going to be ok with that.

:shrug:

Anarkii
Dec 30, 2008
This game has pretty good ping tolerance in spite of being "action combat", particularly compared to Blade & Soul.

Wask
May 2, 2003
I punch midgets for fun
The game is visually amazing, action combat seems pretty well done, some complicated systems that seem a bit weird or pointless... but is it actually fun? I haven't seen anyone talk about that.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

Wask posted:

The game is visually amazing, action combat seems pretty well done, some complicated systems that seem a bit weird or pointless... but is it actually fun? I haven't seen anyone talk about that.

The game has a lot to it and the combat is certainly more enjoyable compared to other games in the genre but I don't know how endgame will be. Even if this game is absolutely terrible when it comes to the PVP sandbox and the endgame content, they have three major markets to support, meaning success is practically guaranteed, meaning we can expect a stream of updates (that are delayed to our benefit so we can tell them they hosed up and to fix it for our market).

It used to be something quite special. Valencia update was a step in the right direction, we don't know what changes they'll make for NA/EU but I'd imagine we'll end up getting an improved Valencia update. Anyways, if it was special once before they scrapped features, who knows, they could add it back in. Play it as a entertaining B2P themepark MMO with sandbox elements that I would imagine will be amped up for the EU/NA markets in the coming months.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Somehow after doing some random trading/gathering quests I wound up as NUMBER ONE WEALTHIEST PERSON. And also NUMBER FIVE PROCESSING PERSON. I feel so accomplished.

This game is fun. I don't even care about leveling up. My first boat is almost done! :aaa:

Edit: 2 minutes after posting this I dropped back down to rank 16 on wealth. :iiam:

Kerrzhe fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Feb 19, 2016

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Clearly you were punished for not rescuing that Lost Cat.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Kerrrrrrr posted:

Edit: 2 minutes after posting this I dropped back down to rank 16 on wealth. :iiam:
They are based on people currently online, presumably channel not the server. Lewtt was above me in level, but I didn't see him in the rankings when he was online, even though I was #20-something highest level, and he for sure was higher level than I was at a time.

Jimlit
Jun 30, 2005

Wask posted:

I played till about level 15 tonight, and had a blast. I was mainly just running around finding places to grind; skipping all the quests, crafting and npc affinity stuff.

The combat was definitely the highlight for me. It felt really fluid and the combo system is definitely a nice change from typical mmo combat. I also appreciated as a berserker I could goose step things to death.

Its certainly brought enough new stuff to the table gameplay wise to hook me for the next few months. And I'm 100% a self loathing PvP sandbox sperg who should hate this.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

Kerrrrrrr posted:

Somehow after doing some random trading/gathering quests I wound up as NUMBER ONE WEALTHIEST PERSON. And also NUMBER FIVE PROCESSING PERSON. I feel so accomplished.

This game is fun. I don't even care about leveling up. My first boat is almost done! :aaa:

That's my main issue with this game and games like ArcheAge. I hear all these crazy stories people have but I don't see any of that. What I've experienced up until your level is a bunch of quests where the only thing special about any of it is the combat and the ability to auto path to the quest meaning I can mess around on my phone between collecting 10 boar assholes.

I leveled up to like 30 in ArcheAge and burned out on the grind/questing because the progression was taking far too long. Why can't the endgame start as soon as you're dropped into the world? Sure, becoming a bit better with your gear as you use your gear would be nice (in a Morrowind/UO-esque way) but what's the point of the 40 hour leveling curve to get to the "fun bits"? If you were to give the standard player every skill they'd unlock in a traditional MMO, I'm pretty sure they'd "learn the class" in an hour or two so that excuse is bullshit.

I'd much rather they spend a bunch of time explaining the cool poo poo I can do in the game than go through the motions and then all of a sudden at some arbitrary level, it opens up and becomes a completely different game.

Alexander DeLarge fucked around with this message at 09:52 on Feb 19, 2016

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

The idea of MMORPG, at the core, is world you live in, not just visit, that's one thing. Marketing is another thing - the longer customer is exposed to something, the more prone they are to consider an investment, statistically speaking.

Besides that, you are being far too generous with your assessment of average player skill in an MMORPG. World of Warcraft exists for 12 years, EVE Online exists for 13 years - both are chock full of terrible players completely oblivious to the simplest of the core mechanics.

Also, do not play Black Desert if you did burn out by level 30 in ArcheAge. :laffo:

Edit: Progression, in part, is there to attempt to gradually introduce various game concepts to the player, instead of showing 4 hour long series of tutorial videos narrated by Chocolate Rain, which will oversaturate player with information and will guarantee them not learning anything to any meaningful extent.

Edit2: "Hey there, Lumberjack James! Here's 100 square miles of game world, you play one of 8 classes, each with a dozen separate abilities that change over time. This game has 4 main types of PvP activities, 2 kinds of PvE activities, a dozen of gathering and crafting activities, as well as this elaborate territorial management minigame. But first, we need to talk about parallel universes. We're certain that you are smart enough to handle it, good luck."

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 10:09 on Feb 19, 2016

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

If there was only something else to do in this sandboxish game other than level grind. Like making hard wood jokes with friends on voip chat while you're being a lumbermans or exploring the world, or checking out the node/worker system, or fishing or...

If none of those above things even remotely peaked your interest you should stop playing now and never come back.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

DancingShade posted:

I wasn't paying attention before. I have the same server selection and my launcher is definitely set to NA - it tells me that at the login screen and everything.

If this is the EU sever selection then I don't know. Are you Oceanic like me? Maybe we get tossed in with the Euros by default. Or perhaps it's just bugged?

Well for what it's worth the game didn't feel excessively laggy like most of the times I play multiplayer games with Euros from Australia. It actually felt really good playing it... so gently caress it. If I'm stuck playing with Euros then I guess I'm actually going to be ok with that.
Whoa there, not so fast:

Bored Grunt
Nov 8, 2009

It's like a koala bear crapped a rainbow in my brain
Is it safe to say a caster class like the wizard/witch requires less button spam then say a warrior/Valkyrie or do they all come out to about the same in the end?

If the game really is grind-heavy I'd rather go with a class that won't have me walking around like Mr. Burns after playing.. if one even exists.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Witch and wizard press less buttons because they stand still while charging nukes.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Bored Grunt posted:

Is it safe to say a caster class like the wizard/witch requires less button spam then say a warrior/Valkyrie or do they all come out to about the same in the end?

If the game really is grind-heavy I'd rather go with a class that won't have me walking around like Mr. Burns after playing.. if one even exists.
This is a tricky question considering the controls and the combat system - you have to consider not only the button mashing frequency, but also how handy the combinations are, say spamming Esc + Del vs S + F, and how busy the mouse is going to be - just aiming in the direction of mob clusters like Witch/Wizard or doing constant wide sweeps to angle your evasion split shot combo like Ranger does until literally 30-40 hours into the game.

Dr. Kayak Paddle
May 10, 2006

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Witch and wizard press less buttons because they stand still while charging nukes.

As evidenced here.

https://gfycat.com/SmartHappygoluckyGarpike

Dr. Kayak Paddle fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Feb 19, 2016

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

The game plays really well with a 360/bone/ds4 gamepad. Since the combat feels like a character action game it is more fun to me to mash gamepad buttons over keyboard keys. You can even invert Y on only the gamepad if you are like me and invert pads but never mouse.

LegalPad
Oct 23, 2013

How well do wizards solo at the higher levels? Right now I seem to be doing okay rounding up a bunch of mobs and then obliterating them, but I've noticed that the mini bosses require me to chug potions because of how awkward it is to stand still and cast when you have something spamming knockdown moves.

Tadders
Feb 13, 2008
35% Gender Confused
Everybody chugs pots in this game while grinding. Wizards/Witches have it pretty good after level 20 and they can easily take down gigantic groups while on mounts.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

LegalPad posted:

How well do wizards solo at the higher levels? Right now I seem to be doing okay rounding up a bunch of mobs and then obliterating them, but I've noticed that the mini bosses require me to chug potions because of how awkward it is to stand still and cast when you have something spamming knockdown moves.
Wizards do very well, as far as solo farming goes. That one mini boss you talk about, the goblin king, is more of an exception. The thing about wizard is that they needs lots of SP to get going.

Tadders posted:

Everybody chugs pots in this game while grinding. Wizards/Witches have it pretty good after level 20 and they can easily take down gigantic groups while on mounts.
Farming on a mount is not a good idea.

Loose Ifer
Feb 1, 2002
It's Swelling!
Grimey Drawer
I played for a little bit last night. Combat is fun, rest is confusing.

Xexre
Jan 26, 2010

Elder Brother, you're so dreamy
:allears:

This game is Korean.

Elmon
Aug 20, 2013

How are you able to change races? I decided to give it another shot after learning there are additional classes for other races but I can't seem to find where to change races. Is this human locked for the beta?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Arcland posted:

How are you able to change races? I decided to give it another shot after learning there are additional classes for other races but I can't seem to find where to change races. Is this human locked for the beta?
You don't, classes are both gender and race locked.

Edit: If you are interested in more details, Ranger and Berserker are only non-humans. Ranger is elf and Berserker is giant.

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Feb 19, 2016

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
https://www.reddit.com/r/blackdesertonline/comments/46d0hl/true_dollar_value_of_preorder_packages/

so you see, if you pay $100, you are actually really MAKING money

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

And so the last piece has fallen into the puzzle of fiscal irresponsibility.

Elmon
Aug 20, 2013

kalstrams posted:

You don't, classes are both gender and race locked.

Edit: If you are interested in more details, Ranger and Berserker are only non-humans. Ranger is elf and Berserker is giant.

I'm really dumb. I opened up the class page for B&S and thought I was reading BDO.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Wafflz posted:

The game plays really well with a 360/bone/ds4 gamepad. Since the combat feels like a character action game it is more fun to me to mash gamepad buttons over keyboard keys. You can even invert Y on only the gamepad if you are like me and invert pads but never mouse.

How do you get this magic setup? I couldn't see any controller options but I didn't look very rigorously either.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Arcland posted:

I'm really dumb. I opened up the class page for B&S and thought I was reading BDO.
Don't take this too close to heart, but ... :v:

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

On KR servers costumes cost 60-80$. And there are people who have 10 or more, it's matter of adjusting your thinking about it. If you would be buying irl outfit for that much it would be ok, even if you would end up wearing it once or twice. Just because something is virtual doesn't mean it should have virtual value.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Stanley Pain posted:

How do you get this magic setup? I couldn't see any controller options but I didn't look very rigorously either.

I'm not at home so I can't look but there is an enable gamepad checkbox or something in the options under gameplay I think? That's also where the invert thing was. I'm using a DS4 with input mapper to have it function as a 360 pad. I can look when I get home after 5 eastern if need be.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Wafflz posted:

I'm not at home so I can't look but there is an enable gamepad checkbox or something in the options under gameplay I think? That's also where the invert thing was. I'm using a DS4 with input mapper to have it function as a 360 pad. I can look when I get home after 5 eastern if need be.

Ok cool, I couldn't see the controller option but now that I know it's there I'm set :).

Valk has a lot of down + key combos which for some reason really feel awkward for me to use and I'm hoping that the controller will feel more natural :)

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Stanley Pain posted:

On KR servers costumes cost 60-80$. And there are people who have 10 or more, it's matter of adjusting your thinking about it. If you would be buying irl outfit for that much it would be ok, even if you would end up wearing it once or twice. Just because something is virtual doesn't mean it should have virtual value.

that legit made me laugh out loud, I didn't read the comments

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
im the post about the value of video game outfits being comparable to IRL outfits

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
that whole post on reddit is a goldmine

Loose Ifer
Feb 1, 2002
It's Swelling!
Grimey Drawer
I think i'm gonna play a tamer even tho everyone i've talked to says they're bad. I want to feed people to my wolf.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Loose Ifer posted:

I think i'm gonna play a tamer even tho everyone i've talked to says they're bad. I want to feed people to my wolf.

IMO, you should play a class that you find fun rather than what people say is good

I picked berserker because it seems fun to me to wrestle / throw mans

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
OK, so a few mechanics questions after I stumbled my rear end over to level 11ish.

How does the "conversations" mini-game that raises affinity actually work? And what the hell is NPC affinity for anyway aka should I even bother?
What is contribution, and where does it come from and what is it used for? (Other than renting items???) Where do I get tools for gathering poo poo? Fishing how?
And when/where does this linking nodes come into play?

Almost nothing outside of beating monsters up and following the shiny quest marker is explained in the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
I got answers to most of that, and velia is the tutorial town with all the answers in quest form, but it is a lot of poo poo I don't wanna type. If you end up in the CTS mumble I'll explain it.