Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I was figuring he was Alan Scott or Hourman or some other JSA person, but I couldn't figure out why he would have the helmet on. This led me to the obvious answer. It's Xorn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Madkal posted:

I was figuring he was Alan Scott or Hourman or some other JSA person, but I couldn't figure out why he would have the helmet on. This led me to the obvious answer. It's Xorn.

Xorn, or Xorn?

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Gaz-L posted:

Xorn, or Xorn?

Joseph.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Magneto got high of sentient mutant coke and killed Jean!

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
I'm going to miss Agent Carter now it's practically The Avengers set in the 40s. Awesome lady and dapper posh chap taking on mad super-science nutters, splendid.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Sentinel Red posted:

I'm going to miss Agent Carter now it's practically The Avengers set in the 40s. Awesome lady and dapper posh chap taking on mad super-science nutters, splendid.

The two hour episode was amazing. Can't wait for next weeks!

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
If you ever watch / rewatch Arrow you can make a good drinking game from how often Ollie fails to mention that his dad shot a random crewmember before committing suicide.

And then skol the loving bottle if the show actually remembers.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Let's just assume that other boat guy was on the list.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
Am I remembering incorrectly or didn't Snart totally kill someone he was working with during his first episode on The Flash?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

ToastyPotato posted:

Am I remembering incorrectly or didn't Snart totally kill someone he was working with during his first episode on The Flash?

Yup, and it was relatively unnecessary too.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

ToastyPotato posted:

He killed someone he was working with and also killed a random civilian (just to see how fast the Flash was).

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Barry's body count is about as high so...

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

ToastyPotato posted:

Yes, but he also notes it's not his usual style because it draws extra heat, and in a later episode agrees to not kill anyone in exchange for Barry just taking him to the regular cops when he's caught and not just killing him or throwing him in their private gulag.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

Gaz-L posted:

Yes, but he also notes it's not his usual style because it draws extra heat, and in a later episode agrees to not kill anyone in exchange for Barry just taking him to the regular cops when he's caught and not just killing him or throwing him in their private gulag.

I think calling Flash Jail a gulag is a pretty strong euphemism considering gulag prisoners got to go outside, in theory could be released one day, there was a chance you could learn your loved one was sentenced to a gulag instead of just losing them one day, etc.

Flash Jail is like 24/7 solitary confinement blacksite funland.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Ok cool. I was just wondering since they made it a point to give Snart the sanctimonious line about how he never iced one of his own and I was like, "uh, you totally killed one of your own before. You killed people in general without blinking." I'd like to think of the line (and this show) as a retconning of his character, but I don't think TV works that way so oh well.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

ToastyPotato posted:

Ok cool. I was just wondering since they made it a point to give Snart the sanctimonious line about how he never iced one of his own and I was like, "uh, you totally killed one of your own before. You killed people in general without blinking." I'd like to think of the line (and this show) as a retconning of his character, but I don't think TV works that way so oh well.

Maybe by changing how his father went to prison it was like the butterfly effect and now he never killed that guy?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Yeah he really kills that dude for no reason. Guy brings him two kickass weapons and tells him how to use them and the gets killed. That was only in that episode though, his characterization has been different since then.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Technically not a member of his crew but a vendor really

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Am I missing something or didn't he kill a random innocent civilian too? He was robbing something and froze some civilian just to distract the Flash and see if he could save him.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Well it was a security guard not technically a civilian.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Sentinel Red posted:

Do the ratings still suck? I'm worried we won't get a season 3.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

notthegoatseguy posted:

Do the ratings still suck? I'm worried we won't get a season 3.

Hayley Atwell signed onto some other show which is probably a bigger factor than the ratings

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It does about half of what the Flash does on the same night, which is pretty bad for an ABC show.

Tuesday is a really weak night for ABC anyway, but it's doing significantly worse than last season which was already a renewal that didn't make business sense.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Feb 19, 2016

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Oh yeah, I forgot to give my final thoughts on Jessica Jones.

"Oh no, Luke Cage got shot!" is not a good cliffhanger, y'all.

Also I really thought making Jessica immune to Purple Man's powers really deflated the hell out of the last stretch of the show, even though he was still an obvious threat. It was no longer "We gotta figure out a way to stop him or get him to confess without getting controlled." and more "He has to be in the same room and not holding a hostage."

The fact that they felt the need to boost Purple Man's power level (which really doesn't go anywhere significant) is proof that they realized they'd deflated the tension too much. I'm also gonna be a nerd and complain that they didn't use the upgrade as an opportunity to turn him completely purple, or at least make his purpley veins way more prominent.

Overall I still really enjoyed the hell out of it and am looking forward to season 2.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Jessica Jones was decent and enjoyable, but it also highlighted the difference in philosophy between Marvel TV and DC TV. Marvel TV, unlike Marvel Studios and DC in general, seems to be ashamed of being comic related a lot of the time, and goes out of its way to "de-comic" itself whenever it can. Daredevil was the best so far, and season 2 could easily be better. SHIELD is still a mess though it is far better than it was before.

It isn't surprising to me that their most popular non-movie project to date was the one based on an actual superhero (Daredevil.)

Agent Carter really is a victim in all of this, because the show is fine and the cast is magnificent, but I think the demographics have already figured any TV show with Marvel in front isn't likely to give them what they want, which is why twice as many are watching Flash and other DC shows instead.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

ToastyPotato posted:

Jessica Jones was decent and enjoyable, but it also highlighted the difference in philosophy between Marvel TV and DC TV. Marvel TV, unlike Marvel Studios and DC in general, seems to be ashamed of being comic related a lot of the time,

I'm sorry, have you not heard of this show called Arrow?

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Lurdiak posted:

The first season definitely downplayed a lot and tried to Nolan-ize everything , but the show has gone full comic book since pretty much season 2, and definitely since season 3 and the Flash starting.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Lurdiak posted:

Oh yeah, I forgot to give my final thoughts on Jessica Jones.

"Oh no, Luke Cage got shot!" is not a good cliffhanger, y'all.

Also I really thought making Jessica immune to Purple Man's powers really deflated the hell out of the last stretch of the show, even though he was still an obvious threat. It was no longer "We gotta figure out a way to stop him or get him to confess without getting controlled." and more "He has to be in the same room and not holding a hostage."

The fact that they felt the need to boost Purple Man's power level (which really doesn't go anywhere significant) is proof that they realized they'd deflated the tension too much. I'm also gonna be a nerd and complain that they didn't use the upgrade as an opportunity to turn him completely purple, or at least make his purpley veins way more prominent.

Overall I still really enjoyed the hell out of it and am looking forward to season 2.

Well she was immune in the comics as well, it was just via Jean Grey post hypnotic suggestion.

Lurdiak posted:

Lol at impugning the comic bookness of the WB DC shows.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

ToastyPotato posted:

The first season definitely downplayed a lot and tried to Nolan-ize everything , but the show has gone full comic book since pretty much season 2, and definitely since season 3 and the Flash starting.

Fine, can I bring up Smallville? Cuz I feel like Smallville should put DC in the bad pseudo-realism box for at least another five years.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

ToastyPotato posted:

Jessica Jones was decent and enjoyable, but it also highlighted the difference in philosophy between Marvel TV and DC TV. Marvel TV, unlike Marvel Studios and DC in general, seems to be ashamed of being comic related a lot of the time, and goes out of its way to "de-comic" itself whenever it can. Daredevil was the best so far, and season 2 could easily be better. SHIELD is still a mess though it is far better than it was before.

Both Daredevil and JJ are exceedingly faithful to the comics though, they just so happens to be comics that aren't like other superhero comics.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Lurdiak posted:

Fine, can I bring up Smallville? Cuz I feel like Smallville should put DC in the bad pseudo-realism box for at least another five years.

The last few seasons of Smallville had the JLA and the JSA, and Blue Beetle and Booster Gold.

It all sucked but they went with it.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

ToastyPotato posted:

SHIELD is still a mess though it is far better than it was before.

SHIELD is the best comic show on TV.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Lurdiak posted:

The last half of Smallville was super comic bookish, and definitely more so than most Marvel TV entries so far. It was just laughable in quality.

Hakkesshu posted:

Both Daredevil and JJ are exceedingly faithful to the comics though, they just so happens to be comics that aren't like other superhero comics.

JJ removed a lot of comic bookish elements in favor of isolating the character and making things less fantastical. Thankfully the show was still good because the story was good, but it did try to make things "realistic" relative to comics. DD was straight forward and pretty comic booky (but the character is pretty straight forward in general), which is probably why it was so successful an well liked.

Little Mac posted:

SHIELD is the best comic show on TV.

Agent Carter is better at doing what SHIELD has tried to do. Much better.

ToastyPotato fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Feb 19, 2016

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I like Shield a lot. I'd hardly say it's a mess, it has clear story direction, distinct characters with different motivations and good chemistry, and interesting narrative twists. It's definitely smaller in Schott than it tries to be, but I look forward to the adventures of Coulson and Crew more than the others each week (except Peggy Carter which I like even more).

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

ToastyPotato posted:

JJ removed a lot of comic bookish elements in favor of isolating the character and making things less fantastical. Thankfully the show was still good because the story was good, but it did try to make things "realistic" relative to comics. DD was straight forward and pretty comic booky (but the character is pretty straight forward in general), which is probably why it was so successful an well liked.

The only major stylistic change I can think of was the colour of Purple Man, which is not really a big deal. Obviously Carol Danvers and Cap and Rick Jones don't show up, but for instance the way they handled Nuke on the show is arguably more comic book-y and fantastical than most of the actual comic itself.

Edit: Hell, even Purple Man, with all the science experiment stuff to explain his backstory, all that stuff is super comic book-y and also not present in the comic.

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Feb 19, 2016

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
I read somewhere else regarding Legends of Tomorrow, Vandal Savage should have been played by Jonathan Frakes, and goddamn that would have been perfect. He wouldn't make a great Savage for every incarnation, but as a modern-era, LoT interpretation, he would be killing it.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

greatn posted:

I like Shield a lot. I'd hardly say it's a mess, it has clear story direction, distinct characters with different motivations and good chemistry, and interesting narrative twists. It's definitely smaller in Schott than it tries to be, but I look forward to the adventures of Coulson and Crew more than the others each week (except Peggy Carter which I like even more).

Mess is probably the wrong word. I think the SHIELD writers get in over their heads some times, trying to make the stories seem super big and important, while constantly reminding the audience that this is toooootally a part of the MCU guys, we swear! I think Agent Carter and the Netflix shows shine (quality wise) because their stories are much more contained and focused on tighter, more local stories. SHIELD desperately wants to be about world level threats and events and it probably shouldn't, given that they don't have a seat at the grown up table and probably never will, without a shift in philosophy and structure at Marvel/Disney.

That said, I obviously still enjoy watching the show and hope it continues improving.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

ToastyPotato posted:

Mess is probably the wrong word. I think the SHIELD writers get in over their heads some times, trying to make the stories seem super big and important, while constantly reminding the audience that this is toooootally a part of the MCU guys, we swear! I think Agent Carter and the Netflix shows shine (quality wise) because their stories are much more contained and focused on tighter, more local stories. SHIELD desperately wants to be about world level threats and events and it probably shouldn't, given that they don't have a seat at the grown up table and probably never will, without a shift in philosophy and structure at Marvel/Disney.

That said, I obviously still enjoy watching the show and hope it continues improving.

This reads as weird criticism to me since its basically just you projecting stuff onto the show, rather than criticism of the show's content itself. I also can't recall any gratuitous "we're in the MCU reminders" since early season one, which everyone agrees was pretty poor.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

mikeraskol posted:

This reads as weird criticism to me since its basically just you projecting stuff onto the show, rather than criticism of the show's content itself. I also can't recall any gratuitous "we're in the MCU reminders" since early season one, which everyone agrees was pretty poor.
Mostly just constant use of Hydra.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Hydra is explicitly an organization with tons of cells and the arch rival organization of Shield.

If anything it's weird the movies keep using them in like Avengers 2 and Ant-Man. For the former I think Hydra s kinda beneath them at this point and for the latter it feels like the writers went "Whelp, how else can we show this antagonist is a bad guy, any ideas?"