Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

This German retailer has a promo, three Vita games for 49€. They ship to the rest of the EU.

Games:

Akiba's Trip
Danganronpa
Ys Memories of Celceta
Demon Gaze
Disgaea 4
Criminal Girls
Natural Doctrine
Arcana Heart 3
Tokyo Twilight Ghost Hunters

So, this is probably a good time to ask if anyone has an opinion about Tokyo Twilight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megalixir
Nov 10, 2007

Vanillaware ltd.
USK age classification labels are so hideous. I have German friends that import from elsewhere just to avoid them.

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
It was alright, I guess? It's got kind of a weird vibe to it to where I feel like people will either really like it or really hate it. I like dungeon crawlers and I didn't like their dungeons so it was a bit meh to me. If I bought it at full price I'd probably be pissed but at the $20 I got it for it wasn't bad.

If I was gonna buy those games, in order:

- Ys
- Demon Gaze
- Disgaea 4
- Danganronpa
- Tokyo Twilight

The rest I haven't played or really have no urge to play (Criminal Girls)

Stanos fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Feb 19, 2016

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Saoshyant posted:

So, this is probably a good time to ask if anyone has an opinion about Tokyo Twilight.
It's a real departure from what I'm used to. You can basically count on the AI doing whatever move will screw you over the worst, so you are forced to think ahead and give them no options.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Megalixir posted:

USK age classification labels are so hideous. I have German friends that import from elsewhere just to avoid them.

Tell me about it, those things are the bane of my existance since Germany usually has pretty good prices. First I hear that even the Germans hate those things; I thought they just didn't care about defacing cover art.

Stanos posted:

It was alright, I guess? It's got kind of a weird vibe to it to where I feel like people will either really like it or really hate it. I like dungeon crawlers and I didn't like their dungeons so it was a bit meh to me. If I bought it at full price I'd probably be pissed but at the $20 I got it for it wasn't bad.

Sounds good enough to be my third game, then. It was hard to pick something after Disgaea 4 and Doctrine, what with having everything else that was good, and the leftovers being Akiba's Trip and Criminal Girls.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

Stanos posted:

Are you thinking of Operation Abyss: New Tokyo Legacy? Because I don't think Tokyo Twilight Ghost Hunters is a dungeon crawler (unless I misunderstood what you're replying to in which case oops).

The game is pretty interesting and I like it from what I've played of it, but battles have a lot of guesswork at times and it can be frustrating from time to time.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

13/f/cali posted:

The game is pretty interesting and I like it from what I've played of it, but battles have a lot of guesswork at times and it can be frustrating from time to time.

Oh dear. Is this something that gets better after reading a guide?

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

Saoshyant posted:

Oh dear. Is this something that gets better after reading a guide?

I think it's one of those situations where stuff gets more manageable after you get further in and have more options to you. You're trying to fight ghosts and you can't just see them, and you have these sensors that tell you a general range of where you'll be. So you have to move and attack where you think they might decide to move. You can employ strategies to increase your success likelihood and do the same to avoid getting hit, but it takes a bit of getting used to. It's unique, that's for sure.

edit: This is turn-based and not real time action combat so it isn't the confusing nightmare that would be.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Sounds like something that I'd just have to get used to and in small doses it won't be too frustrating. That's fine.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Yeah, Operation Abyss is a dungeon crawler and Ghost Hunters is a weird game of ghost chess. They both take some thought but I find Ghost Hunters a lot harder.

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.

13/f/cali posted:

Are you thinking of Operation Abyss: New Tokyo Legacy? Because I don't think Tokyo Twilight Ghost Hunters is a dungeon crawler (unless I misunderstood what you're replying to in which case oops).

Eh I was a bit incorrect in what I said yeah. I remember buying it when dungeon type stuff was mentioned in a review and was sort of annoyed when it wasn't what I thought it was.

Also don't remind me of Operation Abyss, it just makes me sad thinking it ends on a lovely cliffhanger and the third game will probably never be translated :(

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Saoshyant posted:

Sounds like something that I'd just have to get used to and in small doses it won't be too frustrating. That's fine.

Luckily, the ghosts moves in the same pattern each episode so you can retry levels again and again if you fail...I'm hoping to find a gameplay vid someday. There's a VN aspect to the game that it kinda awkward but other than that, the stories for each episode/level are interesting enough.

Megalixir
Nov 10, 2007

Vanillaware ltd.

Saoshyant posted:

Tell me about it, those things are the bane of my existance since Germany usually has pretty good prices. First I hear that even the Germans hate those things; I thought they just didn't care about defacing cover art.

OFLC rated games that have already passed through USK or PEGI are something we get in NZ. They just stick labels on top of labels and call it a day. Sometimes we just get OFLC ratings, but they're still too big

I don't know why they do this, it's even on the back of the box and the spine :shrug:

EPIC fat guy vids
Feb 3, 2011

squeak... squeak... SQUEAK!
Lipstick Apathy

Saoshyant posted:

This German retailer has a promo, three Vita games for 49€. They ship to the rest of the EU.

Games:

Akiba's Trip
Danganronpa
Ys Memories of Celceta
Demon Gaze
Disgaea 4
Criminal Girls
Natural Doctrine
Arcana Heart 3
Tokyo Twilight Ghost Hunters

So... other than Ys, DG and.... yeah that's it.

Which game is good? I own DG already though... help me.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the arcana heart games are actually pretty alright fightgames

akiba's trip is a good akihabara simulator with a bad version of way of the samurai combat that will force you to play on easy if you want to not get horribly frustrated, completely and honestly only play it for the writing and the fun little world details and shout-outs to other games and places in akihabara because it's actually kind of hilariously written

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

imo cosplay all anime

after you're done playing the games of course

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

voltcatfish posted:

Seriously everything is shipped I bet even some weirdo probably ships the Vita thread posters to North Korea

EPIC fat guy vids
Feb 3, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
A new trailer for Atelier Shallie Plus .

New screenshots for Trillion God Destruction showcasing a new character.

One Piece Burning Blood showcases new characters and combat.

EPIC fat guy vids fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Feb 19, 2016

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:

Schrodingers cat posted:

New screenshots for Trillion God Destruction showcasing a new character.
No gameplay info, but dang they're really angling for the character appeal.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Since I saw some people confused about Trillion, all the gameplay info's already explained in-depth on the game site. They've been updating a while now.

I hate seeing people buy something they might dislike so basically know this is half VN (seriously there's a lot of talking), half simulation where you make training decisions(think Long Live the Queen or Princess Maker) to prepare for a fight. Each character has different stats/preferences but you carry some over between them.
Rarely there'll be a 1 floor mystery dungeon level you can go into for loot.
After an amount of actions your timer runs out and you send the current character to whittle down the boss' HP, either dying or retreating along the way. Rinse and repeat.

Megalixir
Nov 10, 2007

Vanillaware ltd.
I hope they fix Shallie's godawful framerate, not that I will be buying it either way but still, not much point in buying Vita games if they're just going to make them inferior to their PS3 releases.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Aside from framerate every single plus version has been superior to its PS3 countepart (except Rorona Plus since that HAD a PS3 counterpart.)

EPIC fat guy vids
Feb 3, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

ImpAtom posted:

Aside from framerate every single plus version has been superior to its PS3 countepart (except Rorona Plus since that HAD a PS3 counterpart.)

I think it's been answered before but if I am going to buy only 1 Atelier game and I'm new to the franchise; which is the one I want?

HGH posted:

Since I saw some people confused about Trillion, all the gameplay info's already explained in-depth on the game site. They've been updating a while now.

[...]

Interesting, that seems like it could be very boring or fun depending on the implementation. Thanks for the link.

E:

Motto posted:

People usually recommend Escha & Logy. The battle system's good and the time limit is very lax, to the point that most have to sleep off months at the end.

Cool! Thanks.

EPIC fat guy vids fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Feb 19, 2016

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Schrodingers cat posted:

I think it's been answered before but if I am going to buy only 1 Atelier game and I'm new to the franchise; which is the one I want?

People usually recommend Escha & Logy. The battle system's good and the time limit is very lax, to the point that most have to sleep off months at the end.

thorsilver
Feb 20, 2005

You have never
been at my show
You haven't seen before
how looks the trumpet

HGH posted:

I hate seeing people buy something they might dislike so basically know this is half VN (seriously there's a lot of talking), half simulation where you make training decisions(think Long Live the Queen or Princess Maker) to prepare for a fight. Each character has different stats/preferences but you carry some over between them.
Rarely there'll be a 1 floor mystery dungeon level you can go into for loot.
After an amount of actions your timer runs out and you send the current character to whittle down the boss' HP, either dying or retreating along the way. Rinse and repeat.

I'm just now reading all the gameplay info and I still don't really understand what the gently caress all these systems are. But it looks interesting and those pig-like minion things are cute.

The concept is kinda awesome IMO -- training up demon girls Princess-Maker-style to send them one after another to harrowing permanent deaths in service of whittling down the mega-boss's health.

Do we know if this is any good? What did Japan think of it?

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Motto posted:

It's not a good idea to waste any days by sleeping. The game's final months require a ton of stupid things like entering/exiting an area with every item slot filled with a single space item, having used one of every usable item, and having synthesized nearly everything. Even with 150 days left I was unable to meet one requirement since I had focused on leveling and turned in missions 15 days early.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Has there been any word on Exist Archive getting localized.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Nothing so far.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Christ.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Motto posted:

I'd recommend Ayesha myself. The time management is less lax but actually feels like it has a reason to exist, since some marketplaces and events are tied to certain dates (and it's still pretty easy to get the good endings), and I enjoyed the characters and story a lot more than in the other Dusk games. However, the alchemy mechanics are much clearer and understandable in E&L so there's that.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

In Training posted:

I think they're releasing it as "Indivisible" over here.

Fru Fru
Sep 14, 2007
We're gonna need a bigger boat...and some water.

Dehry posted:

It's not a good idea to waste any days by sleeping. The game's final months require a ton of stupid things like entering/exiting an area with every item slot filled with a single space item, having used one of every usable item, and having synthesized nearly everything. Even with 150 days left I was unable to meet one requirement since I had focused on leveling and turned in missions 15 days early.

I had tons of days left over at the end of my first playthrough and the only thing I missed was the elixir base because I didn't know where to get it until it was too late.

I liked Escha & Logy a lot but it really was too easy in a lot of ways so it probably is good for a first atelier game. And you aren't missing much storywise either.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Fru Fru posted:

I liked Escha & Logy a lot but it really was too easy in a lot of ways so it probably is good for a first atelier game. And you aren't missing much storywise either.

That did kinda bug me when I finally got around to playing Shallie. It really felt more like a continuation of Ayesha than anything else. The only playable returning cast was DLC. I went E&L > Ayesha > Shallie which probably enhanced the effect.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Fru Fru posted:

I had tons of days left over at the end of my first playthrough and the only thing I missed was the elixir base because I didn't know where to get it until it was too late.

Escha & Logy Plus (and I guess the DLC) actually gives you another way to get the Elixir Base as a note.

Ayesha has the best world map exploration and general mission structure but the crappiest alchemy and combat, which the other games improve on a lot. I think E&L hits the most comfortable medium and I also like its cast the most. It's an easy game but all of them are easy and E&L (and Shallie) at least have some pretty brutal optional bosses.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Feb 19, 2016

Fru Fru
Sep 14, 2007
We're gonna need a bigger boat...and some water.

ImpAtom posted:

Escha & Logy Plus (and I guess the DLC) actually gives you another way to get the Elixir Base as a note.

Yeah, I was playing the plus version (I never had a PS3) and I read that you can get it from the DLC area but never was able to find it for whatever reason. Anyway I didn't care because I knew I was gonna play it again.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

In Training posted:

An Atlus PR suggested they're not doing it, but there's a NISA press event in 3 days so it might be there. XSEED probably have their plate full with Cold Steel 2, and I'm not sure if Aksys have worked with Kadokawa before. Unless they're bringing it over themselves.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Kadokawa are localising two of their games themselves already (that I've forgotten the names of) so its not beyond the realms of possibility.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Shallie Plus SOON now with Lodgy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rW44ZeSIUk4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Boy, I'm liking Bhikkhuni's multiplayer a LOT more than Versus by a country mile. Due the way driving works, every character is more or less balanced with each other, is the skill of the player what it marks the difference; at first at least.

See, once everyone starts driving is when the balance shifts. The Drive Breaks become the deciding factor but since unlike SK there is no power ups you have to pummel the other players to build metter or chiseling a chunk of rock that periodically spawns in the arena. As in the solo campaign destroying a layer of clothing gives you a full meter bar so there's when you need to think a little, corner the fully clothed player to build meter? Going after the lead player and try to hit him with a Drive Break? Build metter with the rock?

There's also the detail that the character that manages to hit Final drive, has an overwhelming advantage over everyone else. And if they use the third level drive Break, WELP.

On the flip side, this makes total turnarounds very frecuent and makes any game where you have to rack more than 20k points to last a lot longer than the usual. I've had games that have went for nearly 30 minutes since every time someone is coming closer to the goal, is knocked out and loses the points. Is a ton of fun.

Sadly, I don't know if is the time or what but I haven't seen a lot of people playing when I jump in.