Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Making me ashamed to feel the way that I do

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Even then, it's hard to say he's a bad parent. Bad parents don't sacrifice growing up with their child for their greater good by any means.

Eh...not saying this is Jotaro but it's not hard to shirk responsibilities by saying, "No no, this other thing, oh man it's important, sorry I can't be there for you."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Jotaro is bad at being a dad and probably never should have been one. All resentment and hate that Jolyne felt towards him was 100% valid and warranted, but at least they got understand each better before the universe reset on them.

e: It's an interesting contrast with Joseph and Josuke where Josuke holds no direct anger towards Joseph but wants understandably absolutely nothing to with him until he learns his dad is a person too who also feels lovely over all of this. Josuke being raised by a young woman who was very caring of him despite being a college student in her early 20's along with his life being saved by a mysterious stranger has given him a much warmer and relaxed outlook on life than Jolyne's outlook of abandonment

Basically Josuke and Jolyne need to hang out more, they're pretty similar.

Expect My Mom fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Feb 19, 2016

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Wild Horses posted:

:eyepop:
I Guess Josefumi really is the core body of gappy

i didn't think there was really any doubt about that, tbh

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

It's very sad to me that Josuke never actually meets Jolyne because that would have been great :(

They're both great and Josuke seems like he'd be a really good, uh, grunkle

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.

Okuyasu Nijimura posted:

It's very sad to me that Josuke never actually meets Jolyne because that would have been great :(

They're both great and Josuke seems like he'd be a really good, uh, grunkle

I feel like I read a fan comic about this where Jotaro left like an 8 year old Jolyne with him for a day. I think he tried to get Rohan to help entertain her and he basically went 'no gently caress off' and it was funny.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

It's called Little Jolyne goes to Morioh.

I think there's a sequel that never got translated or at least more art in the same vein by the same artist.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

It did actually. I think it's on Batoto? I'll have to check what it's called when I'm back from lunch.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
I can't find it but the comic where Little Jolyne talks to Jotaro about seeing Kakyoin's ghost is still kinda creepy to me

Expect My Mom fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Feb 19, 2016

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Moltrey posted:

Jotaro is bad at being a dad and probably never should have been one. All resentment and hate that Jolyne felt towards him was 100% valid and warranted, but at least they got understand each better before the universe reset on them.

e: It's an interesting contrast with Joseph and Josuke where Josuke holds no direct anger towards Joseph but wants understandably absolutely nothing to with him until he learns his dad is a person too who also feels lovely over all of this. Josuke being raised by a young woman who was very caring of him despite being a college student in her early 20's along with his life being saved by a mysterious stranger has given him a much warmer and relaxed outlook on life than Jolyne's outlook of abandonment

Basically Josuke and Jolyne need to hang out more, they're pretty similar.

And yet if Jolyne had never been born and wasn't a scrappy teenage rebel, Pucci would have won. ~~Fate works in mysterious ways~~

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

ChaosArgate posted:

It did actually. I think it's on Batoto? I'll have to check what it's called when I'm back from lunch.

So it did!
http://bato.to/reader#f2da0f6a87974888

multijoe posted:

And yet if Jolyne had never been born and wasn't a scrappy teenage rebel, Pucci would have won. ~~Fate works in mysterious ways~~

The poochman did win.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Jotaro being an absent for a lot of Jolyne's life is especially appropriate when you realize this was his childhood, too. His own father was gone for months touring, and parents tend to perpetuate some of the same mistakes their own parents made. Araki is really great at this sort of realistic character development between arcs, which you rarely see. Just like SDC Joseph is basically a different character from BT because it's been 50 drat years and people grow and change. But at the same time, he still feels like Joseph at his core.

I hope in Part 9, whenever that is, we get a 30 year old Gappy, I'd love to see how he grows up.

Amaryllis
Aug 14, 2007

Nobody makes a fool out of Rohan Kishibe!
Whoa, I didn't know there was another one!

Moltrey posted:

I agree that the resentment is justified but at the same time he had plot reasons for not being around--the whole business of dealing with the arrows and with Dio's old lackeys and other stand users constantly threatening him. I feel like if we'd seen them interacting more in canon, Jotaro would be emotionally distant but not bad as a dad, but his daughter also would have been in more danger for having him around. I wish we'd seen more of them interacting and teaming up in fights before poo poo hit the fan in Stone Ocean.

By the way, there's a more readable version of the first Little Jolyne comic here--I think that's the original translator's post. According to that post, the artist's pixiv account is here; if you dig around there are lots of other cute illustrations and animations.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

JJL51 related spoilers:

Tragic irony in the later Little Jolyne comic when she mistakes Josuke's hair for a hat, 'cos Holly Joestar-Kira literally does this with Josefumi, thinking his hair is a new hat that Kira is wearing and then breaks down crying because she knows she's got severe dementia and it's all :(

Amaryllis
Aug 14, 2007

Nobody makes a fool out of Rohan Kishibe!

JJL51 related spoilers:

Tragic irony in the later Little Jolyne comic when she mistakes Josuke's hair for a hat, 'cos Holly Joestar-Kira literally does this with Josefumi, thinking his hair is a new hat that Kira is wearing and then breaks down crying because she knows she's got severe dementia and it's all :(
I'm just gonna focus on that excellent sassy Killer Queen face in the first preview image you posted, and not this latest spoiler.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

The poochman did win.

Nah, he got beaten to death by a ten year old boy channeling the ghost of his dead brother, because he tried to defy fate

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

We all die in the end, the important bit is he killed the Joestar scum. :colbert:

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

A true fact: despite hearing all three songs often on the radio growing up, Centerfold makes me automatically picture the lead singer as a horrendous murdering rapist, but Love Stinks and Freeze Frame do not

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012

Adlai Stevenson posted:

A true fact: despite hearing all three songs often on the radio growing up, Centerfold makes me automatically picture the lead singer as a horrendous murdering rapist, but Love Stinks and Freeze Frame do not
Did this happen even before All Star Battle's English version renamed J. Geil to Centerfold?

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Supersonic Shine posted:

Did this happen even before All Star Battle's English version renamed J. Geil to Centerfold?

Since about 2001

I've been battling with it for some time

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
J.Geil is probably the grossest looking JoJo villain with Carne right after. Those dudes just don't look right.

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

Moltrey posted:

J.Geil is probably the grossest looking JoJo villain with Carne right after. Those dudes just don't look right.

That's why I feel that my friend who feels that oku is the ugliest character "by far" should be put to death

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i like how the anime preview art has okuyasu looking a little more tan. it's nice when the characters are actually given differing skin colors instead of just being Literally All The Same Shade Of White

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Okuyasu Nijimura posted:

That's why I feel that my friend who feels that oku is the ugliest character "by far" should be put to death
Fatty is the ugliest character by far, no doubt.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Okuyasu Nijimura posted:

sever

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

His favorite character in SDC is Joseph, he didn't like it that Roundabout wasn't there, and he thinks Polnareff is pointless and annoying

Do you ever think things like "I wish my friends were more into JoJo, it'd be fun to talk about this interest with others."

Well, stop thinking it.

before anyone says it obviously it is totally fine to have opinions I'm just kidding around!!

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Moltrey posted:

Fatty is the ugliest character by far, no doubt.

Porkpie hat kid, cioccolata, secco...

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.

Okuyasu Nijimura posted:

His favorite character in SDC is Joseph, he didn't like it that Roundabout wasn't there, and he thinks Polnareff is pointless and annoying

Do you ever think things like "I wish my friends were more into JoJo, it'd be fun to talk about this interest with others."

Well, stop thinking it.

before anyone says it obviously it is totally fine to have opinions I'm just kidding around!!

No such thing as a pointless character.

Tentatively JJBA related
https://vine.co/v/ivpphbXTKED

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Okuyasu Nijimura posted:

you should get new friends with better opinions about jojo

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

Zeruel posted:

No such thing as a pointless character.

Tentatively JJBA related
https://vine.co/v/ivpphbXTKED

https://vine.co/v/OLHYqBOzYnu

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
https://twitter.com/TomAznable/status/698005420070330368
this is the best one of these things

FirstAidKite posted:

Porkpie hat kid, cioccolata, secco...
None of these characters come to close to giving me the visceral reaction Shigechi did when I first saw him

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I like how you're all ignoring the ugliest elephant in the room, a certain Noriaki Kakyoin.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

what is he even saying?

Moltrey posted:

None of these characters come to close to giving me the visceral reaction Shigechi did when I first saw him

Secco and Cioccolata are probably top of my list for creepiest people in jojo. That entire scene drives home just how demented they are

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

I like how you're all ignoring the ugliest elephant in the room, a certain Noriaki Kakyoin.
Without Kakyoin the Joestar Egypt Tour Group would've been annihilated by Gray Fly on the plane ride over.

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

FirstAidKite posted:

Secco and Cioccolata are probably top of my list for creepiest people in jojo. That entire scene drives home just how demented they are

They're awful but on the plus side reading that part again reminded me that narancia is an adorable little brat

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
Kakyoin is very handsome and I would play video games with him, he also gets points for having a top tier pose game

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Bad Seafood posted:

Without Kakyoin the Joestar Egypt Tour Group would've been annihilated by Gray Fly on the plane ride over.

And then DIO would have won and Josuke still existed at that time so all in all, we had the worst end.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Kakyoin is canonically very handsome and it's very true.

FirstAidKite posted:

what is he even saying?

smdh at having never seen Back At Again At Krispy Kreme before

and yeah Cioccolata is probably the hands down WORST JoJo character, even Diavolo hated him and that guy wanted to murder his daughter, but just going off looks, this guy still takes it imo

And then DIO would have won and Josuke still existed at that time so all in all, we had the worst end.
You know Josuke would have died too if DIO had won, right? Like Holly, his Stand was killing him.

Expect My Mom fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Feb 20, 2016

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

No because [reasons]

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Stallion Cabana posted:

Jotaro reminds me of my dad. He went away to work a lot too to take care of me.

Basically Jotaro is cool and I have sympathy for him; before he lost his Stand he was basically the Speedwagon Foundation's 'Ace' or whatever, and Jotaro always seems like that, despite his gruff personality, he's a good person like other people said, so he doesn't seem like the kind of person who'd go 'Sorry, I can't go fight a Stand today, it's my daughter's Baseball game. Can you send someone else?'

Even your Stand 『Cat's in the Cradle』 can't comfort you on those cold and lonely nights.

Whenever I think of songs that remind of of Jojo, this one always makes me think of DIO and Pucci, with a few mental edits to the lyrics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Might as well expose myself to embarassment here, I guess.

I did a bad Jojo/David Bowie mashup a couple of days ago, because I have a lot of free time, David Bowie aka Kira Yoshikage died and part 4 anime adaptation is happening soon: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XBnXJoXNWL0

Also, someone quoted me in this thread from the anime thread (before I read everything but part 5) and I still stand for my "The World is Overpowered Bullshit" point because Star Platinum is consistenly portrayed as Overpowered Bullshit, humph.