Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Don't you do call logging and call recording?
Or do you not have your own PBX?

We do. I have no idea if customer service does. They opened a police report on said mean person.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

KillHour posted:

There's a ticket in the queue labeled "Smishing Incident." Someone in the fraud department has their S+...

We just had a mandatory workshop about smishing in the workplace. HR is about to have a field day at your place.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

The hell is smishing? Is this a new phishing?

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

neogeo0823 posted:

The hell is smishing? Is this a new phishing?

SMS phishing.

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.
A ticket came in from FIS. Apparently they sent an e-mail to us in error a while back that may have had some kind of critical data. Oops.

“Certify to FIS that we have either returned or destroyed all copies, and not retained any copies or portions whatsoever, of the confidential and/or proprietary information erroneously sent to us, in accordance with document retention policies, we do not currently have any information related to this incident in our possession.”

Sure, let me get right on proving a negative for you. And how does their gently caress-up become our problem in the first place?

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Send them a screenshot of an empty inbox.

"As you can see, your email has been deleted."

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
And as always: Kill Hitler.

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

A ticket came in from FIS. Apparently they sent an e-mail to us in error a while back that may have had some kind of critical data. Oops.

“Certify to FIS that we have either returned or destroyed all copies, and not retained any copies or portions whatsoever, of the confidential and/or proprietary information erroneously sent to us, in accordance with document retention policies, we do not currently have any information related to this incident in our possession.”

Sure, let me get right on proving a negative for you. And how does their gently caress-up become our problem in the first place?

FW: Ticket
"What they said"

then close ticket.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

captkirk posted:

Yeah, but the Orthodox will definitely bless a server.

(For those who aren't familiar with whats going on there, the cup in the priest's left hand is full of holy water, he dips that brush looking thing into the cup and then flicks it at what he's blessing, sprinkling it with holy water)

EDIT: In Catholicism there used to be proscribed blessings for things like a telegraph or electric dynamo. http://www.sanctamissa.org/en/resources/books-1962/rituale-romanum/54-blessings-of-things-designated-for-ordinary-use.html

Lovely logic here - "hey let's sprinkle water on expensive electronic equipment! When it dies we'll blame some imaginary evil and use every excuse to not pay for replacements!"

Segmentation Fault posted:

The brush is called an aspergillum. :spergin:

Aspergillum sounds like an autistic fish species

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

Ozz81 posted:

Lovely logic here - "hey let's sprinkle water on expensive electronic equipment! When it dies we'll blame some imaginary evil and use every excuse to not pay for replacements!"

I think you might just be overanalyzing that picture a bit.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

The entire idea of blessing a computer or server is just loving stupid as poo poo. If he wants to do some good he should shed the cassock and hat and get in there and unfuck the cabling in cabinet #4

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.

MrMojok posted:

The entire idea of blessing a computer or server is just loving stupid as poo poo. If he wants to do some good he should shed the cassock and hat and get in there and unfuck the cabling in cabinet #4

Different strokes.

http://motherboard.vice.com/read/we-talked-to-a-witch-who-casts-viruses-out-of-computers-with-magic

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

psychic posted:

You've mentioned you've been mocked for your practice. What do you say to those who discount your work?

Most times when people are ornery or nasty or attacking, they'll ask incredibly stupid questions. They'll say incredibly stupid things. And I've learned to say “Read The Spiral Dance. Then, if you have any questions, you can call me. Right now, you don't have enough information to ask logical questions or to understand the answers to the questions. So read this book,” which, of course, they're not interested in doing—they're just interested in hating.

:allears:

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Sounds like a day in the life of helpdesk agents.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Basically saying RTFM.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Wibla posted:

The generation that grew up with DOS and early Windows has some advantages over both younger and older people in my experience. Kids these days generally don't give a gently caress about how stuff works, they just want their games to work. Back in the early 90s you had to be somewhat computer literate to get poo poo working. Especially games. Now? Install steam, done.

I still remember being blown away when I was like 15 and my stepdad helped me crack the first Quake game from shareware to full. That and playing Doom/Doom 2 on dial-up and having to tweak all the connection settings and getting booted off when someone needed the phone. Kids these days have it so much easier :argh:

Also that priest's explanation is no different than trying to teach computer illiterate people how to fix their problem. Basically it's the religious version of "computers are indistinguishable from magic" because you know drat well that priest knows gently caress all about his little ritual dance outside of what someone told him to believe.

BOOTY-ADE fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Feb 19, 2016

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug
Any of you ever watch Jesus Camp? It was on Netflix recently. My favourite bit was when the pastor prayed that Satan wouldn't infect the powerpoint presentation.

Here's all you need, really: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eyYojOEZcNI

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
It's me, I'm the guy who sent the ticket.

We recently obsoleted our old email system which a lot of long-time employees were still using. I suspect this is what created a phenomenon where someone emailed me, and my reply to their email generated an Undeliverable error message.

So I called the helpdesk. He asks me if I tried retyping it with the "D" in @domainname.com capitalized. Uh-huh. I miss when our helpdesk was outsourced to India.

Kinetica
Aug 16, 2011

Halloween Jack posted:

It's me, I'm the guy who sent the ticket.

We recently obsoleted our old email system which a lot of long-time employees were still using. I suspect this is what created a phenomenon where someone emailed me, and my reply to their email generated an Undeliverable error message.

So I called the helpdesk. He asks me if I tried retyping it with the "D" in @domainname.com capitalized. Uh-huh. I miss when our helpdesk was outsourced to India.

Never thought I'd hear that phrase honestly

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Antifreeze Head posted:

Any of you ever watch Jesus Camp? It was on Netflix recently. My favourite bit was when the pastor prayed that Satan wouldn't infect the powerpoint presentation.

Here's all you need, really: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eyYojOEZcNI

I'm totally doing this the next time someone needs help with a presentation.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Antioch posted:

I got my god-son a Raspberry pi 2 and a book on Python for Kids for his 7th birthday. Told him if he could show me that he completed all the exercises in the book, I'd help him install Minecraft and Youtube and he'd have his own little computer.

What was the book? My daughter's 9 this year and is brilliant with Scratch (which I am a huge fan of, they learn it at school in the UK) and is entirely ready to advance to Python.

She's had her own computer since she was two (the joy of having a sysadmin father *) so I probably can't bribe her with a Pi ;-)

* “mummy, why are other people’s houses not full of tottering heaps of semi-obsolete kit?”
“because they’re filthy infidels who will be sacrificed to Roko’s basilisk first, darling”

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

I feel like this is not the proper way to test e911 registration.

quote:

I had 3 different users dial 911 from 3 different phones and each time our address did not display, on the 3rd call the officer said the phone number that showed up was $number (not our number). I called the police station myself ($number) to make sure it was not a problem on their end and the officer confirm their system is working correctly.

Dragyn
Jan 23, 2007

Please Sam, don't use the word 'acumen' again.

This is fairly common practice in Health IT, they're not looking for you to prove it, they're looking for you to confirm it was deleted/destroyed and not retransmitted anywhere else. It's a CYA measure so that the person who sent the erroneous data can say "the breach was contained and eliminated".

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
A customer came in. Lady says her laptop has viruses on it.

Take a look at the laptop and it honestly seems pretty clean, bloatware and her own personal stuff notwithstanding. Open up Edge and suddenly I get a bunch of tabs!

Turns out she somehow set Edge to open up 8 tabs, 7 of which are Google.com, on startup.

Alighieri
Dec 10, 2005

:dukedog:

A ticket came in, from my parents. Verizon is switching to AOL servers or something according to them and now outlook wont send out emails. They sent 1.5 hours on the phone with support and got no where so now it's my issue to solve. I wonder what free food I can get out of helping them this time.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Alighieri posted:

A ticket came in, from my parents. Verizon is switching to AOL servers or something according to them and now outlook wont send out emails. They sent 1.5 hours on the phone with support and got no where so now it's my issue to solve. I wonder what free food I can get out of helping them this time.

The SMTP server address and/or port number has changed. I guarantee you this is it.

Alighieri
Dec 10, 2005

:dukedog:

Inspector_666 posted:

The SMTP server address and/or port number has changed. I guarantee you this is it.

Already googled around and likely its that it requires SSL to be checked now, but can't recall how I setup their outlook last time I was out there. Shouldn't be too hard to figure out.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Kaethela posted:

I feel like this is not the proper way to test e911 registration.

Yeah, usually you work with the 911 dispatch center by getting transferred to them by a non-emergency line call to your local station. Then you talk to the supervisor or whoever to let them know "number" is making 911 test calls and asking if it is a good time for them because you know, they love testing 911 calls when they have 50 active incidents going on and a rampaging gunman on the loose.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I had a user call in and FREAK out at me saying our VPN had "Locked [him] out of [his] home network and put a security key on his router and now [he] can't use [his] computer."

He hung up after a few minutes because he apparently didn't want to hear that VPNs don't work that way. The consensus is that he has some sort of ransomware infection.

Edit: He reopened the ticket.

quote:

This issue is not resolved. [company] took over my home wi-fi and assigned a new security key locking me out of my own router.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Feb 19, 2016

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

MrMojok posted:

Don't come crying when your machine spirit is angry at you and won't forward ports correctly.

nullfunction
Jan 24, 2005

Nap Ghost

There doesn't seem to be a vendor less competent than FIS in the banking world. I've had them send me information from the wrong one of their customers not once, but twice in a single month. Got the exact same form email too, which means they must be pretty experienced at sending it. :downs:

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

KillHour posted:

I had a user call in and FREAK out at me saying our VPN had "Locked [him] out of [his] home network and put a security key on his router and now [he] can't use [his] computer."

He hung up after a few minutes because he apparently didn't want to hear that VPNs don't work that way. The consensus is that he has some sort of ransomware infection.

Edit: He reopened the ticket.

$1 says he forgot his home wifi password or is typing it incorrectly.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Make it a forums upgrade, and I'll take that bet.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Judge Schnoopy posted:

I was going to go with: He had either no wifi password or an easy one and some neighbor got in and changed it. Which people WILL do. Especially when they want to start using your internet connection for illegal stuff!

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Khisanth Magus posted:

I was going to go with: He had either no wifi password or an easy one and some neighbor got in and changed it. Which people WILL do. Especially when they want to start using your internet connection for illegal stuff!

Why would you change stuff on the router if you were doing illegal stuff? It's much better to not give the owner of the router a reason to believe something is wrong.

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

A ticket came in:

quote:

Subject: Unable

:same:

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

A bunch of tickets are going to come in over the next two weeks but I don't care because it's T1's problem.

More specifically, finally completing a decently sized 365 migration (250-300 users), and set it up as a bunch of 10-15 user batches so we could complete them in a gradual manner instead of flipping 250 people over at once. And it's been a good loving Friday, because I wrote A) a Powershell script to complete a batch and assign licenses to the users in the batch, based off a CSV (and completing the batch name based on the name of the Powershell script, which wasn't necessarily the best way but was expedient and I control the entire scheme so if something fucks up I'm the only one to blame), and B) a Powershell script to create scheduled tasks to run each completion script on the specific date that I'm sending out emails to each batch informing them what to expect.

In other words, that's the next two weeks' work done. Now the question is whether I pretend to my boss that I'm hard at work on each of these migration completions.

And yeah there's less clunky ways to do the scripting I suppose, like one script that runs every night and checks a CSV to see what batches are scheduled for tonight and completes them, but this grew organically (I was originally going to run the script manually, so it was just the one script, then I decided to actually schedule them and just duplicated them for scheduling purposes), but I'm still pretty goddamn :smug: about the whole thing because, well, the migration will be pretty much automatic now and no longer require much attention.

Now to see if I can Powershell up the emails themselves, because that's going to be pretty annoying.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?
Oh poo poo, a ticket definitley did come in:
Thanks Parcelforce!

Despite shipping it with insurance, I only read today they don't actually cover monitors or laptops. Alas we hardly knew ye, a 4 year old hand-me-down from another company with their Office 2007 MAK still installed.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
A mercy killing

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
Parcelfarce

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Super Slash posted:

Oh poo poo, a ticket definitley did come in:
Thanks Parcelforce!

Despite shipping it with insurance, I only read today they don't actually cover monitors or laptops. Alas we hardly knew ye, a 4 year old hand-me-down from another company with their Office 2007 MAK still installed.

Hit them with an insurance claim for case damage then. Even if the screen still worked the punctures in the lid render it unusable for a user.

• Locked thread