Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
I'd be sad if some real Yakuza didn't see Kiryu as cool, but probably they've had quite a few nerds try to join up specifically because they think they can be bad rear end like Kazuma.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there
Who was the guy that wrote that book on the yakuza and had them play a bit of 3? I remember one of them mentioned a guy who actually did run an orphanage (as a tax shelter).

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'
I imagine real life yakuza at least like the idea of having a game made about them because it validates them on a certain level.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Whereas everyone else can enjoy it because of how all yakuza deserve to be punched in the face.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Captain Walker posted:

Who was the guy that wrote that book on the yakuza and had them play a bit of 3? I remember one of them mentioned a guy who actually did run an orphanage (as a tax shelter).

http://www.boingboing.net/2010/08/10/yakuza-3-review.html

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'
it does seems weird that Kiryu only has a back tattoo now that I think about it

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother

Thanks, I get a chuckle out of this every time.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
Also, Adelstein's book Tokyo Vice is a decent read, though yakuza are only a part of it.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
I'm kind of worried that those Yakuza never figured out all you had to do was leave the game on for a while for Kiryu to light a cig to chill. But now I want some of them to react to 0.

FordCQC
Dec 23, 2007

THAT'S MAMA OYRX TO YOU GUARDIAN
It was stumbled onto while looking through SpaceBattles for stuff to post in the Weird Fanart thread.
*Pat voice* Perfect
This series has always interested me, is it worth it to play through all the PS3 releases or should I just skip right to 5?

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

It is worth it because they're all good games but you don't have to

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

FordCQC posted:

This series has always interested me, is it worth it to play through all the PS3 releases or should I just skip right to 5?

Can't go wrong either way, but I'd start at least with 4 before going straight to 5.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
I guess the best option is to just finish every PS3 game first as it's likely hard as poo poo to go from 0 or Kiwami to 3-5.

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER

Saoshyant posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJlhBqGSPPY

Valentine's Day event thingy to promote Kiwami.

Also, I just received a Japanese version of Yakuza 3 because I wanted to archive the full game or whatever dumb logic I used at the time in my head to buy it. It did come with a cute fake magazine thingy that showcases the hostess club ladies and all the different stores and other things that you can see in Karumocho. Also has real life ads for some of the things in the game like Pronto.

Would you mind posting a few pictures of the magazine? It sounds pretty interesting.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Dunban posted:

Would you mind posting a few pictures of the magazine? It sounds pretty interesting.

Uh, sure, I'll try to snap a few photos later.

Also, speaking of the Japanese version of Yakuza 3, it has a completely different intro song. I imagine it was cut off due to licensing issues, but it's kind of too soap opera-y for me, I think I prefer the version we got.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

Dunban posted:

I got one with my copy of Yakuza 0. It was a Yakuza-themed version of the IRL magazine Hot Dog.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
I can't believe it. I 100% completed this game.

270 hours, 3 continues, and millions of wrecked faces and limbs later, it's over. Only the trophy for beating Extra-Hard and the glitched one for getting selfies in every Club SEGA are left to do. I told myself I'd wait until Premium Adventure to finish all the side stuff, but since you can't import that data into Premium New Game, I ended up watching the ending and immediately loading to finish the minigames, coliseum, and hostesses.

There's a lot to do but most of it is tons easier than 3 and 4. The only things I had to cheat for were ocean fishing (progressed to evening just a little too early in the finale), UFO Catcher (lost patience waiting for a few of the Kamurocho prizes) and darts (gently caress darts). Everything else was skill and yimbocarimbo's guides. I'm so glad you don't have to beat pool on the hardest difficulty any more!!!!!!

People will talk about Kiryu vs. Amon being the hardest fight in the game, but I contend that Akiyama Limited Berserk GP is a close second, or even a tie, largely because Kiryu is just a better all-around fighter. Akiyama has much better damage output than Shinada but he just can't take a punch worth a drat. He really suffers without that ability from previous games that makes you immortal in Heat mode. Spamming unblockable flip kicks only gets you so far, because the last four waves include a guy who can recover from being knocked over and three guys who can't be launched. Two of those jerks also have the knockback move that makes endless rush combos dangerous. It demands a lot more technical skill and mastery of game systems than you'd normally expect from this series.

Overall I liked the gameplay a lot better than 4, but the story was much weaker, which is saying something coming off a game where the big twist revolves around rubber bullets and the worst hit man in Japan. Some loose ends never got resolved, others were resolved in ways that were completely unsatisfying (Haruka), and poor Shinada was just kinda there. The side stories were really cool though, and the new exclusive minigames (ramen king, snowball deathmatch, manzai, chicken racing) were way more fun than they had any right to be.

Also, dear lord, I don't know how I notice the line about getting screwed by Vietnamese dong but missed an earlier conversation with a street fighter where Kiryu says that "Guile only gets you so far in this game".

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Reminder that Insane Super Robot Wars styled Inter-company crossover Strategy RPG Project X-zone 2 is out featuring charecters, locations and enemies from Yakuza: Dead Souls is now out in the west and the translation is fantastic

Yechezkel
Oct 5, 2004

Fun Shoe
Holy poo poo. BOSS costume right here:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Yechezkel
Oct 5, 2004

Fun Shoe

Sinners Sandwich posted:

Reminder that Insane Super Robot Wars styled Inter-company crossover Strategy RPG Project X-zone 2 is out featuring charecters, locations and enemies from Yakuza: Dead Souls is now out in the west and the translation is fantastic

Also, there is a small Yakuza x Shenmue section:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Yechezkel posted:

I heard that game is scarcely an improvement from its predecessor in gameplay and pacing, but drat I would like to see that dialog.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Samurai Sanders posted:

I heard that game is scarcely an improvement from its predecessor in gameplay and pacing, but drat I would like to see that dialog.

7 hours in and it doesn't even have half as many enemies per turn, so it's a vast improvement IMHO. You are chiefly playing it for fanservice, though.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
It is now worth it alone to finally allow Kiryu to make fun of Ryo. Everything is right with the world.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
I think there was a scene where Majima suggested running people over with a tank as well.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010
OK, I finally started playing Ultimate Yakuza and the first, I don't know, hour or something was a quest about a ring? Come on, give me something to get hooked before starting with dull fetch quests.

Lord_Pigeonbane
Nov 24, 2002

Just the ladies, now!
I'm giving Yakuza 5 a second playthrough, and I just started Part 2, Chapter 1. I had a bunch of valuable stuff equipped when I headed off for prison, and it all got taken away. Will I get it back, or should I roll back to my last save?

Foam Monkey
Jun 4, 2007
Lurkzilla
Grimey Drawer

Lord_Pigeonbane posted:

I'm giving Yakuza 5 a second playthrough, and I just started Part 2, Chapter 1. I had a bunch of valuable stuff equipped when I headed off for prison, and it all got taken away. Will I get it back, or should I roll back to my last save?

Roll back to your last save and move them to your item box. Anything in your possession when you go to prison is gone as far as I can tell.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

https://twitter.com/KrisKnigge/status/712278193571373056

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Good trailer. Holy poo poo am I hyped for this game.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Yechezkel posted:

Ryo is autistic as hell in this game. I love it.

Samurai Sanders posted:

You can find all the dialogue on Youtube. No purchase or playthrough necessary.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Tortuously long wait, made worse by the fact that Japan will have 6 by then.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Tortuously long wait, made worse by the fact that Japan will have 6 by then.

This is the true nature of the Yakuza experience.

MalarkeyToboggan
Jan 4, 2015

I'm just happy it's coming out at all.

What's the general consensus on Yakuza 0? Is it a big improvement over 5 or is it just another slightly prettier Yakuza game?

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS
Is Y0 going to be digital only?

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

It's the PS4 version only, right? They should be able to do a small print run. The PS4 is known for having a really small requirement of copies needed to be given the green light for print and the process is cheap.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
Even if it is just a prettier Yakuza game, I just want to play one with a more focused story. I also would like to play as Majima because goddamn.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

But if you're playing as Majima, how will Majima burst out and surprise you???

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Maybe he has a twin brother who can also burst out of manholes and wear hostesses' dresses.

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!
Majima cloning facility. They put on some good karaoke shows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
If we somehow get Kiwami in the west and I can play a game where Majima can spring up any time to fight me, there's a good chance I'll die.

• Locked thread