Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
Sometimes I wonder if both of them grew up in a bubble. Dave comes off as positively idiotic at least once every other show. Gareth is probably good at feigning surprise and disgust when he needs to, though. It seems odd that two guys who do an American history podcast are so bad at American history.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

stealie72 posted:

Sometimes I wonder if both of them grew up in a bubble. Dave comes off as positively idiotic at least once every other show. Gareth is probably good at feigning surprise and disgust when he needs to, though. It seems odd that two guys who do an American history podcast are so bad at American history.

Two comedians.

The only comedians who would know these stories are the nerdy ones like Patton Oswalt or Brian Posehn. When you listen to comedian life stories, they across the board were not history buffs.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
I sometimes wonder if Gary has to actively avoid learning things. Like, he's sitting in his car and This American Life or something comes on and he has to turn it off before information gets into his brain or something.

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!
Gary's brain only has room for nature facts.

Trabandiumium
Feb 20, 2010

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

I sometimes wonder if Gary has to actively avoid learning things. Like, he's sitting in his car and This American Life or something comes on and he has to turn it off before information gets into his brain or something.

There was a npr story like last week about Henry Heimlich so maybe.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

It's hilarious that you think most people tune in to NPR to begin with.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

Well, there's a few episodes about stuff I thought everyone knew, but then Gary didn't and I realized they probably weren't widely known outside of particular circles. Even then, there's stories like Ten Cent Beer Night that he's sort of aware of but he doesn't know the details. I think there's good odds they could do something with it.

I actually only know about that one from Drunk History, but considering how shocked Gary was by the story about the Kelloggs I don't think he watches that show.

Well, I'll submit it as an idea...if I can figure out where. Like seriously, I've googled and I still not sure where to send ideas (outside of twitter, and I'm not a tweetman).

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

It's hilarious that you think most people tune in to NPR to begin with.

Hey, radios have 'Scan' buttons!

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Yvonmukluk posted:

Well, I'll submit it as an idea...if I can figure out where. Like seriously, I've googled and I still not sure where to send ideas (outside of twitter, and I'm not a tweetman).

thedolloppodcast@gmail.com

On occasion Gareth will realize at the end that he knows what this is all about, which is pretty much how it goes for a lot of people.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

The_Raven posted:

The Dale was my pitch... Yes, you may all touch the hem of my garment, but one at a time please, no need to get all unseemly. :agesilaus:

...but what the gently caress is a Chevy "Vegas"? lol

Dave's gonna block me for calling out his pronunciation, isn't he?

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Yvonmukluk posted:

I'd love to see them cover Stetson Kennedy & Superman vs. the KKK, but I wonder if that story might be too well known (ie Gary actually knows it). I know This American Life carried the story, for one thing.

Well there's knowing about a story and then there's knowing the details of a story. Like the one they did recently about the oil boom in Texas. Most Americans are probably familiar with Texas having oil but I doubt they also know details like how there were oil derricks on top of oil derricks. They're just aware of the basic fact that there was/is an oil industry in Texas.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

today's guest star: a leaf blower

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Yeah I don't expect Dave or Gary to be particularly smart or well versed in history but even as a big fan I do have to say there are a lot of annoying moments where they just like, coooompletely misinterpret/misunderstand a thing they just read. It's hard to come up with examples off the top of my head but it feels like every other ep they'll just not get a thing they read out loud and then just go on a misguided riff on it.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

AriadneThread posted:

today's guest star: a leaf blower

That part was really weird

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

That part was really weird

i wish they had cut that out in post 'cause as it is, that digression is the only thing keeping me from sending this episode to my dad who is absolutely obsessed with coca-cola

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
We are an enormous army of invalids
and what we need is coca wine

KinkyJohn
Sep 19, 2002

As the leafblower started, the gardeners started the weed whacker outside my office and it made for one hell of a listening experience.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
Today's Dollop is pretty great if you're at all familiar with Marblehead, which is only marginally less lovely now than it was during the time of this Dollop. Their police log is rather telling on this front, as a number of the calls to the police can be boiled down to "I saw a brown person, please help."

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

dollops that extend into the present day are some of the scariest, imo

head58
Apr 1, 2013

drat it, now I want pancakes.

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Now is the time for us to gather together and celebrate those things that we like and think are fun.
This a trip down memory lane, but it looks like the documentarians making a film about the events surrounding the competitive tickling episode are getting sued.

http://www.columbiatribune.com/news...208ba1ad9e.html

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Billy Gnosis posted:

This a trip down memory lane, but it looks like the documentarians making a film about the events surrounding the competitive tickling episode are getting sued.

http://www.columbiatribune.com/news...208ba1ad9e.html

You're leaving out that it's a lawsuit from the dude who had like six online personas and is super creepy and financing the whole thing. I feel that deserves to be said.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
the new episode :psyduck:

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
0 to manson in 20 minutes.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
So I'd heard of the purple people because they're less than 10 minutes from where my parents live but I'd never really known anything about them.

What the gently caress?

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I'm never jumping out of a burning building now, I might get tuberculosis on the way down :ohdear:

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

TheFallenEvincar posted:

I'm never jumping out of a burning building now, I might get tuberculosis on the way down :ohdear:

If you're that worried about it, just go get a doctorate in swimming, that'll let you jump from any height and dive fine.

The dude would have survived if his rescue swimmer had a PHD in swimming.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
So there's a new Dollop up

You wouldn't loving believe me if I tried to explain the topic so, just give it a listen and join me in eternal perplexion.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

So there's a new Dollop up

You wouldn't loving believe me if I tried to explain the topic so, just give it a listen and join me in eternal perplexion.

Although I agree with you, that's like every episode though

Trabandiumium
Feb 20, 2010

the reigning hero of walking

Sexual Aluminum
Jun 21, 2003

is made of candy
Soiled Meat
Jose can work the air conditioning. How much longer till he is guest hosting?!

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

I thought the title of the latest episode was a typo at first. How wrong I was. :stonk:

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I'm not a nail! Sir?? I am not a nail!

Reformed Pissboy
Nov 6, 2003

what a loving insane story. holy moly

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
Dave reading the transcripts killed me. At first I was slightly worried he was just gonna play the recording when they all get bashed to poo poo, which would have been really dark, but just calmly reading off spins it into comedy gold.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
Ok, now THAT was a crazy rear end story, holy crap.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

i can't believe everyone lived

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

What episode is it that has those guys they were talking about Captain Hammer being in prison with, the ones with a laser?

Koburn
Oct 8, 2004

FIND THE JUDGE CHILD OR YOUR CITY DIES
Grimey Drawer
I couldn't remember that episode either, I think it's Episode 9: http://thedollop.libsyn.com/the-pendragon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

yeah it's the pendragon

AriadneThread posted:

i can't believe everyone lived

yeah same. that was one of the most insane Dollops ever. I like when they do semi-recent stuff (like 80s-present)