Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Cingulate posted:

A good fraction of them are essentially science journalism and should be treated as such. None are actually science, and should thus not be treated as such.

The only thing they need to be treated with is scorn and mocking laughter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Cingulate posted:

This is still literally the best analogy in the whole universe.

I never "darkly hint", I'm very specific about my points, and if there is anything unclear, I'm sure I could muster way too many words in response to you making a specific inquiry.

Such as being a hardcore progressive myself.

Hi Wesley

Merdifex
May 13, 2015

by Shine

Cingulate posted:

I never "darkly hint", I'm very specific about my points, and if there is anything unclear, I'm sure I could muster way too many words in response to you making a specific inquiry.

Such as being a hardcore progressive myself.

I was talking about Wesley, maybe I mistook who The Vosgian Beast was referring to.

Merdifex
May 13, 2015

by Shine
DOuble post

Merdifex
May 13, 2015

by Shine
Also Cingulate, are you perhaps mistaking my link to SSC as pointing to the actual article proper? I was linking to a very specific comment he made in the comments section rather than the whole post.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Merdifex posted:

I was talking about Wesley, maybe I mistook who The Vosgian Beast was referring to.
Oh God, sorry. I don't even know who that Wesley is, too.

Merdifex posted:

Also Cingulate, are you perhaps mistaking my link to SSC as pointing to the actual article proper? I was linking to a very specific comment he made in the comments section rather than the whole post.
The 3-comment series full of links? That's what I was thinking of.

Merdifex
May 13, 2015

by Shine

Cingulate posted:

The 3-comment series full of links? That's what I was thinking of.

Yes, I fail to see how the issue of science journalism standards comes into the issue of Scott regurgitating Moldbuggian ideas with a SSC twist. How he represents (or misrepresents) his sources is only marginally relevant compared to what sources he uses to prove what. I was bringing to attention his confirmation bias, and his wholehearted adoption of NRx ideas, even in the guise of coming up with it originally and the leaps of logic involved in his doing so.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Cingulate posted:

Okay, all good points.

I'm thinking of the specific, and probably most critical, subset of "science journalism with political implications", ie., the thing Scott did in the post in question (and all too often). The "blacks proved dumb, cancel Affirmative Action" kind of argument, the thing the typical long-ish DR piece tries to be. Here, I think the writer should pick a side - for example, going back to the hypothetical homosexuality/pedophilia connection, I would hope for the writer to argue that this correlational finding should never justice discrimination. Or, from the other side, a finding that growing up in poverty impairs prefrontal cortex development will hopefully result in an article advocating further resources and effort and research to be directed towards the "war on poverty". In contrast, the scientific publication should be as impartial as possible, to the extent of being disproportionally skeptical of the author's favoured theory.

I can see how you might hope that scientific standards would solve other problems of journalism (lack of caution, lack of rigor, etc), but I think that should simply run under journalistic standards, not by the application of scientific standards. Applying scientific standards to non-science just brings way too much fundamentally useless stuff with it - methodological rigor that is essential for science, but largely pointless for, and usually beyond the understanding of, the target audience of journalism.

Admittedly, this might no longer be fully applicable if people, as Scott frequently does, apply the methods of science - e.g., running statistical tests, doing literature surveys. I am not sure about this - on one hand, I'm thinking, maybe it's good to have more quantitative investigations everywhere, on the other hand, it's important that people understand how much less rigor is involved compared to good science.

Ah okay, I agree with this then :)

Cingulate posted:

Wrt. the last point, here you've lost me. First, on what do you base the claim that women are disproportionally repelled by bad writing? Next, a good bit of it is essential; some things simply can't be written up in a way that enables lay people to read it, while still carrying the necessary detail, e.g., almost everything in Methods sections. From my own field, neuroimaging preprocessing is just a huge pile of boring garbage that nobody who's not in the field could ever understand.
There's also the issue of simply bad writing, where, yes - we should all be better writers, but currently, that is IMO very low on the priority list of stuff that should be fixed about academia.

I phrased it clumsily, I didn't mean that women were specifically repelled by bad writing but that obtuse writing is a symptom of the larger problem of academia generally having an in-crowd mentality, and THAT tends to exclude women. I'm basing this off Some Article I Read a long time ago analyzing why more women didn't become professors in the "hard" sciences. It explored biases against them (IE you're a girl you can't do math / you should have to "prove yourself" in ways a man wouldn't be expected to), but also problems with the culture - in a lot of cases science departments are mostly old white men and so the professional culture has grown around that, and this means when women are considering entering the field they have an inherent problem of not feeling like they "fit in" or others not judging them to "fit in" with the culture, even if you ignore the other biases against them.

Getting back to writing, I realize that there is an inescapable amount of complexity and obtuseness that comes with being on the cutting edge of a field, but the way you were describing it made it sound like you think this was a designed-in feature that was meant to keep people out. I think academics often have issues describing their work clearly even given the inherent complexity necessary, and that only compounds the "othering"/"gatekeeping" effect. They certainly shouldn't try to do this, at the very least (though it seems like you probably agree with that and I just got the wrong idea from the original post).

Silver2195 posted:

He does, but he does it in a pretty annoying way a lot of the time. Perhaps the real cure is a rule change to focus the thread exclusively on people who are clearly wrong about everything all the time, like Jim?

Eh, that hasn't saved other mock threads where the topics are unambiguously stupid, like bronies.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

Eh, that hasn't saved other mock threads where the topics are unambiguously stupid, like bronies.

The Deegan mock thread survived to completion. I'd like to say it was my fantastic personality that did it but it was more that we just had a demand to ignore people and take the piss out of ideas only.

You can't keep ranting about an idea unless it keeps popping up, whereas if you're ranting about the person behind it then you can ham up vitriol until everyone's just screaming while flinging poop.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Silver2195 posted:

He does, but he does it in a pretty annoying way a lot of the time. Perhaps the real cure is a rule change to focus the thread exclusively on people who are clearly wrong about everything all the time, like Jim?

http://blog.jim.com/politics/poland-goes-alt-right/

I am reminded of how the American Christian Right tends to support Israel entirely because it plays a role in end-times prophecies.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

The Vosgian Beast posted:

I am reminded of how the American Christian Right tends to support Israel entirely because it plays a role in end-times prophecies.

I thought it was because they're seen as the "good" brown people who fight back the Muslim moon god hordes.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
There is also a quasi-rational Cold War side to it. It's multi factorial.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
Sandifer book update: he's finished the first draft, with six thousand words on William Blake, setting out in detail how Blake refuted all these NRx fools' claims before they made them - particularly apposite since if they're so drat proud of their knowledge of dusty tomes they drat well should have known their Blake already.

Also actually finds nice things to say about Yudkowsky's Red Tidday UP which is a critical feat of some magnitude.

So the 50k braindump is done, now to edit. I expect it will grow in the editing.

Title will be Neoreaction A Basilisk - I don't like the title, but he thinks it'll get the Amazon searchers so ehh whatever works.

No ETA as yet - he's going to get a structure down for a larger work on Blake, then get back to this.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx

I thought it was because they're seen as the "good" brown people who fight back the Muslim moon god hordes.
Right and once all is taken care of and the Lamb of God opens the Seventh Seal, the hellmouth will open and all the Hebrews will just fall right in! No fuss, no muss!

divabot posted:

Sandifer book update: he's finished the first draft
I cannot loving wait

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Israel is also considered the sardonically named 'Jesus Trap' by the rest of us - making fun of the evangelicals seeing Israel as the best way to bait Jesus back to Earth for Judgement Day.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Tesseraction posted:

Israel is also considered the sardonically named 'Jesus Trap' by the rest of us - making fun of the evangelicals seeing Israel as the best way to bait Jesus back to Earth for Judgement Day.

For reference, in Rapture literature there's a firm belief that Jesus will reappear in an Israel controlled by His Chosen People during the end times. Since a lot of Evangelicals cling hard to the belief that we are in the end times right now- and therefore there's no fuckin' point in pushing for social progress because it's all gonna be over soon anyway- their belief has warped into this strange fascination with the idea that it's time, but all the pieces need to be in the right place. Like they can rules-lawyer God into hitting the big button on His Almighty Control Panel with the word RAPTURE on it by setting it all up for Him and then getting His attention. Or, alternatively, that almighty, omnipotent God can't start the rapture because all the pieces aren't in the exact place yet.

It's the same poo poo as the Prosperity Gospel, turning God into a magic spell that works if you do it right and believe hard.

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx
tbf there is some Rules as God/God as Rules in the Torah. Basically a couple of rabbis are way down the theological rabbi(t) hole, God weighs in, and gets told to butt out, because not even the Voice outweighs the Torah.

Oligopsony
May 17, 2007

Somfin posted:

For reference, in Rapture literature there's a firm belief that Jesus will reappear in an Israel controlled by His Chosen People during the end times. Since a lot of Evangelicals cling hard to the belief that we are in the end times right now- and therefore there's no fuckin' point in pushing for social progress because it's all gonna be over soon anyway- their belief has warped into this strange fascination with the idea that it's time, but all the pieces need to be in the right place. Like they can rules-lawyer God into hitting the big button on His Almighty Control Panel with the word RAPTURE on it by setting it all up for Him and then getting His attention. Or, alternatively, that almighty, omnipotent God can't start the rapture because all the pieces aren't in the exact place yet.

It's the same poo poo as the Prosperity Gospel, turning God into a magic spell that works if you do it right and believe hard.

See also: that Jewish group trying to breed the Apocalypse Cow, ISIS' belief that they're going to win a massive battle at the otherwise strategically uninteresting city of Dabiq, &c.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx

Peztopiary posted:

tbf there is some Rules as God/God as Rules in the Torah. Basically a couple of rabbis are way down the theological rabbi(t) hole, God weighs in, and gets told to butt out, because not even the Voice outweighs the Torah.

Yeah I love that story:
http://www.come-and-hear.com/babamezia/babamezia_59.html
(It's in the B part, halfway down page)

The Talmud was clearly the Sequences of its day!

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

The Talmud contains both wit and humanity, both of which are objectively suboptimal compared to anime.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

WE HAVE TO CONTROL OUR ENVIRONMENT
IF YOU SEE ME POSTING OUTSIDE OF THE AUSPOL THREAD PLEASE TELL ME THAT I'M MISSED AND TO START POSTING AGAIN
http://www.eruditorumpress.com/blog/the-dark-enlightenment-of-flint/

Read the whole thing.

quote:

Jack Graham notes that “if you want a vision of the future, imagine Flint, Michigan - forever.” The neoreactionary movement, meanwhile has been doing just that for several years. Neoreaction - essentially the pseudo-intellectual wing of the loosely defined alt-right (see also Gamergate, Trump, and the “human biodiversity” crowd) - has been clanking around the fringes of the discourse for a few years now, basically getting started when a software engineer named Curtis Yarvin started a sideline career blogging as Mencius Moldbug in 2007, and gathering proper steam when Nick Land, formerly an academic associated with the Cybernetic Cultures Research Unit at the University of Warwick and one of the forefathers of accelerationism, made a dramatic heel turn in the form of an essay called “The Dark Enlightenment” in 2013 in which he, and I’m paraphrasing here, basically concluded that the best hope of a posthuman future where everyone has face tentacles lies in the form of white nationalists. I’m writing a book that’s more or less about them. It’ll be fun.

Anyway, the key detail in all of this is that the catastrophic decision to try to save $4m by switching Flint’s water system over to the Flint river was made by not by elected officials, but by an Emergency Manager, a position created by a 1988 law and expanded dramatically in 2011. The law allows the governor to appoint someone to take charge of a municipal governor if he certifies that the city is suffering from a financial emergency. This Emergency Manager is unelected, but his powers trump those of the elected government; indeed, he can remove elected officials at will. His sole mandate is to balance the budget (My second favorite detail in all of this: he's forbidden from raising taxes to do it). The sole oversight is the Local Emergency Financial Assistance Loan Board, a similarly unelected body that rubber stamps decisions over $10,000 including the sale of public assets. (My favorite detail: the law requires that Emergency Manager’s salary be shouldered by the city.)

What’s striking about the Emergency Manager position is that it’s more or less exactly what Mencius Moldbug proposes as the ideal system of government. Moldbug advocates for, essentially, government by CEO - an individual manager with absolute power subject to oversight by a board of directors who can replace him, with the metric for whether a government is successful being the degree to which the government turns a profit. Very much excluded from this - indeed consciously and deliberately excluded - is any notion of democracy. Moldbug despises democracy, viewing it as inefficient, duplicitous, and largely degenerate. In his view people are, whether they want to admit it or not, subjects of a sovereign. And given that, we may as well admit it and just return to actual monarchy.

Count Chocula has a new favorite as of 02:59 on Feb 20, 2016

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

divabot posted:

Sandifer book update: he's finished the first draft, with six thousand words on William Blake, setting out in detail how Blake refuted all these NRx fools' claims before they made them - particularly apposite since if they're so drat proud of their knowledge of dusty tomes they drat well should have known their Blake already.

Also actually finds nice things to say about Yudkowsky's Red Tidday UP which is a critical feat of some magnitude.

So the 50k braindump is done, now to edit. I expect it will grow in the editing.

Title will be Neoreaction A Basilisk - I don't like the title, but he thinks it'll get the Amazon searchers so ehh whatever works.

No ETA as yet - he's going to get a structure down for a larger work on Blake, then get back to this.

so what's this red tidday up thing people keep mentioning

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

neonnoodle posted:

The Talmud was clearly the Sequences of its day!

This is the most anti-Semitic thing I have ever head

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Literally The Worst posted:

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Literally The Worst posted:

Supposedly an underage girl, as written by Eliezer Yudkowsky, posted:

Though I am a little worried. I’ve never gone more than a day or two without giving myself release. Even when I tried to deny myself for perverted reasons, my willpower failed. I hope that I can clear up this Wicked Emperor matter in a month, and not go insane with repressed desires before then.

hence the title "red tidday UP white tidday DOWN" as coined by some goon on one of the three or four threads on which this wondrous work is apposite.

I have a copy of the whole thing in my inbox. I haven't opened it yet.

In its favour, I will say that (a) he wrote something and finished it (b) this is a better use of everyone's time than made-up artificial intelligence "research" or scientific racism.

Nick Land's fiction is better in almost every regard.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Someone should pull a zany scheme to convince people that Chuck C. Johnson said something mildly positive about muslims or mexicans so idiots will start calling him Cuck C. Johnson

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot

Someone should pull a zany scheme to convince people that Chuck C. Johnson said something mildly positive about muslims or mexicans so idiots will start calling him Cuck C. Johnson

I love the word replacer so much.

Magnusth
Sep 25, 2014

Hello, Creature! Do You Despise Goat Hating Fascists? So Do We! Join Us at Paradise Lost!

djw175 posted:

I love the word replacer so much.

I have no clue who he's talking about, though.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Magnusth posted:

Remove the h from his real first name

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

Magnusth posted:

If you quote someone who's been filtered, you can see their original text.

he said cuck

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I hope this becomes the new c-word, because it's so stupid to say or type that it deserves a euphemism.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

we already live in the worst cyberpunk future

Oh, Phil Sandifer discovered Scott. He's not a fan. (There is no Scott in the neoreaction book.) And got a "welcome to tumblr rationalism here's your accordion" from Multiheaded.

Merdifex
May 13, 2015

by Shine

divabot posted:

we already live in the worst cyberpunk future

Oh, Phil Sandifer discovered Scott. He's not a fan. (There is no Scott in the neoreaction book.) And got a "welcome to tumblr rationalism here's your accordion" from Multiheaded.

Yeah, I really don't get what MultiHeaded's deal is with rationalism critics, and why she has no problem with Nazis spewing hate towards her.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

That Scott guy is like a bright high-schooler who never grew up. Does he really not understand that people have written books about democracy before and that he could read some of them if he were curious?

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx
To be blunt, no he doesn't. The whole deal with the rationalist community is that it's a way for people who believe themselves to be of above average intelligence to wank themselves blind over that fact.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Peztopiary posted:

To be blunt, no he doesn't. The whole deal with the rationalist community is that it's a way for people who believe themselves to be of above average intelligence to wank themselves blind over that fact.

He just sort of blindly accepts NRx dogma that the non STEM disciplines are all filled with decadent obscurantist postmodernists who spend all their time trying to prove Marx right. So obviously he can do better by starting over with his rationalist superbrain and ignoring centuries of work done before him.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

He just sort of blindly accepts NRx dogma that the non STEM disciplines are all filled with decadent obscurantist postmodernists
Scott has a minor in philosophy IIRC.
I get that you're vaguely trying to make a point that is not obviously false and I have some ideas as to what it might be, but right now, you're not.

Also, what's with this STEMophobia? Nerds aren't gonna steal your lunch money.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Cingulate posted:

I get that you're vaguely trying to make a point that is not obviously false and I have some ideas as to what it might be, but right now, you're not.

Anecdotally in my experience STEMlords are more likely to be technofetishist libertarians who think computers will solve all the world's social problems, and at the same time there's a somewhat concerning push at least in America to get rid of all the "worthless" parts of public education and only focus on STEM because that's the only one that will get you a job.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Cingulate posted:

thats lovely dear

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Anecdotally in my experience STEMlords are more likely to be technofetishist libertarians who think computers will solve all the world's social problems
I bet STEM people are more progressive on basically every issue than fair comparison groups (e.g., matched for gender and age). To phrase the same point differently: thinking computers will solve all the world's problems is a lot better than thinking guns will.

When I think of nerd media, I think of BoingBoing and Slashdot, which is about as far to the left as Slate, but not, unlike Slate, really bad. (The worst discipline is in my rather limited experience sports science, followed by law.)