Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer

Augus posted:

Oh, before you had to do Extreme Ramuh in order to unlock Normal Shiva? That's a pretty weird progression, at least for people who aren't up to date with the high-level content when each patch drops.

Nope. The way it worked before was you had two distinct unlock chains for Extreme Primals:

Garuda EX -> Titan EX -> Ifrit EX

Levi EX AND Thornmarch EX -> Ramuh EX -> Shiva EX

Now they're just making it that you don't have to do a chain of EX primals, you just have to clear hard mode on that specific primal to go pony farming. The hard mode ones were basically just story locked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Augus posted:

Oh, before you had to do Extreme Ramuh in order to unlock Normal Shiva? That's a pretty weird progression, at least for people who aren't up to date with the high-level content when each patch drops.

No, that was for Shiva EX. Shiva normal has always unlocked as part of the story. The old progression was that you had to beat Levi EX and Mog EX to unlock Ramuh EX, then beat him to unlock Shiva EX. With 3.2, those are being moved to only require beating the story versions to unlock EX.

e: well, poop

Um, BSM leveling isn't always that fast, but leves are a really good source of XP! Don't forget to check your daily GC turn-in as well. You can check those from the Ctrl+U screen so you don't have to run all the way there just to see what it is.

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

Smart Car posted:

There is no mistranslation, the English patch notes only mention drops. I was clarifying for someone else.
the original message about the combining sword and board into one item is what I was talking about in terms of mistranslation

Klades
Sep 8, 2011

Saigyouji posted:

It's 頼れる先輩:ランク1, where 先輩 is in fact senpai, and 頼れる is roughly translated as "to rely on". (ランク 1 is just Rank 1)

Close, that's the potential form of the verb though.

So a direct translation would be something like "A Reliable Senpai" or "A Senpai You Can Rely On".

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

So, not a reference then.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Fister Roboto posted:

I'm glad to see that warriors have been completely untouched, other than the attack power changes. I like SE's policy of buffing weak classes rather than nerfing strong ones.

e: also correct me if I'm wrong but now it looks like Goring Blade will be the highest potency attack in the game at 640 :eyepop:

A procced Thunder 3 is 710, but that's not 'reliable'.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Tortolia posted:

Nope. The way it worked before was you had two distinct unlock chains for Extreme Primals:

Garuda EX -> Titan EX -> Ifrit EX

Levi EX AND Thornmarch EX -> Ramuh EX -> Shiva EX

Now they're just making it that you don't have to do a chain of EX primals, you just have to clear hard mode on that specific primal to go pony farming. The hard mode ones were basically just story locked.

Ah that makes more sense.
Those unlock chains seem pretty arbitrary though. From what I hear Titan EX is way harder than Ifrit EX, so it certainly doesn't make sense in terms of difficulty curve. Changing that is probably for the better.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

They just took the primals in reverse story order, not difficulty order.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Augus posted:

Ah that makes more sense.
Those unlock chains seem pretty arbitrary though. From what I hear Titan EX is way harder than Ifrit EX, so it certainly doesn't make sense in terms of difficulty curve. Changing that is probably for the better.

At the time they were basically tiered in terms of gear required to complete them. Nowadays that's not likely to be an issue (as most groups will be running them unsynched), but gear level doesn't prevent you from being killed when Titan hits you with a five-way Landslide and you fall out of the arena. Accordingly, Titan can be more difficult than Ifrit if people are standing in bad.

Edit: If folks are not cratering, Titan is actually super quick and easy to clear since you can spend almost the entire fight just burning him down (2 minute clears). In that sense he's easier to farm than something like Ramuh (who has an absurd HP total) or Ifrit (who requires you to spend an appreciable amount of time clearing Nails and not actually hitting the boss).

Tortolia fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Feb 19, 2016

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Man, 4 pages of patch talk and no one has brought up that Adamantoises will now be able to fly.

And the picture they used involved explosions.

Regarding PLD Stuff: The potency increase and Shield Oath Damage Reduction really help with narrowing the damage gap. Clemency and Divine Veil buff are also nice. Was kinda hoping for ForF to get changed to an attack power buff but they might still do that.

The MCH buffs are interesting, mainly the Hypercharge debuff increase to 10%. Now Belzac can have a fit about two classes instead of just NIN :v:

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

The flying tortoise thing was announced a long time ago with no ambiguity, so no one really is surprised or cares.

Flash still sucking though, now that's noteworthy I guess. Hurray GLD.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Is the kobold Bomb Chair mount able to fly yet?

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

GlitchThief posted:

Is the kobold Bomb Chair mount able to fly yet?

Ahriman, ADS, Bomb Chair and the Magiteks got flight in 3.1. Maybe something else I'm blanking on.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Tortolia posted:

Ahriman, ADS, Bomb Chair and the Magiteks got flight in 3.1. Maybe something else I'm blanking on.

Kirin got it too

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

nuru posted:

The flying tortoise thing was announced a long time ago with no ambiguity, so no one really is surprised or cares.

Flash still sucking though, now that's noteworthy I guess. Hurray GLD.

Yeah, really can't believe they didn't add damage to flash.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Failboattootoot posted:

Yeah, really can't believe they didn't add damage to flash.

Flash's gimmick is to generate aoe threat without breaking crowd control.

Yes, there is crowd control in this game!

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.

Klades posted:

Close, that's the potential form of the verb though.

So a direct translation would be something like "A Reliable Senpai" or "A Senpai You Can Rely On".

Yeah, Japanese isn't exactly my strong point, hence the "rough". :cheeky:

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

hobbesmaster posted:

That's a good gimmick, but perhaps not for a primary threat tool. I support whichever goon proposed switching the roles of flash and circle of scorn.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

hobbesmaster posted:

CC is an outdated concept. Even WoW has pretty much done away with actually utilizing it.

I remember the days of "Sap mob marked with X, Sheep mob marked with triangle, sleep mob marked with circle", or whatever the markers were in WoW, when doing the large, top of content raids.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

hobbesmaster posted:

It's called "Killing the mob" :v:

Leal fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Feb 19, 2016

Smart Car
Mar 31, 2011

I think the last time I tried using sleep in a dungeon, which I think was Lost City of Amdapor, most of the enemies were just outright immune to it. I assume that's still the case.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

"Spam Overpower until you run out of TP" :getin:

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Smart Car posted:

I think the last time I tried using sleep in a dungeon, which I think was Lost City of Amdapor, most of the enemies were just outright immune to it. I assume that's still the case.
CC stopped being useful once HM dungeons started coming out. CC as such is only useful while leveling (in some cases, insanely useful. AoE sleep for Stone Vigil is awesome.)

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Heavy-ing the Dreadknight was useful in T5, wasn't it?

Smart Car
Mar 31, 2011

Heavy also isn't broken by damage which was the original context here. Heavy effects are also very useful for A3S so those are still relevant, but Sleep in particular and Bind to a lesser extent haven't been effective for a while now. So there isn't really much of a niche in being that one tank who doesn't break CC with their AoE Enmity.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Well I picked a helluva time to get into this game when I can't make a character on the server everyone plays on.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

Smart Car posted:

Heavy also isn't broken by damage which was the original context here. Heavy effects are also very useful for A3S so those are still relevant, but Sleep in particular and Bind to a lesser extent haven't been effective for a while now. So there isn't really much of a niche in being that one tank who doesn't break CC with their AoE Enmity.

Yeah, it was a nice perk when we were grinding AK for Darklight, but I stopped expecting it by 2.1.

On patch notes -

Quite happy with the PLD changes. More work to be done, sure, but these are already significant changes and it's generally best to change as little as possible when balance is the goal. Moving forward, Shield Oath should be awarded at level 30 (to match Grit/Defiance, and to make leveling a little easier). Beyond that, maybe more TP adjustments or a hookup to Flash (Blind increases AoE damage?), but it's encouraging stuff.

isk fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Feb 19, 2016

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I think PLD TP is fine now, the only things that costs more than 60 TP are I think Shield Lob and Shield Bash. Otherwise your rotation will be a net gain in TP unless you have some really fast attack speed going.

I'll have to see how the VIT changes in damage shakes up, but their DPS looks a lot more solid now at least. Goring Blade having an effective potency of 640 (compared to its old potency of 540) in particular is pretty massive.

kojei
Feb 12, 2008

Republicans posted:

Well I picked a helluva time to get into this game when I can't make a character on the server everyone plays on.

that's been pretty much every day since the game came out, so.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Republicans posted:

Just make sure you keep trying and get it done this weekend. On Tuesday, a new patch drops, and there's going to be a good number of returning players making it even more crowded. You should still be able to get in if you try late tonight or early tomorrow morning.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

As a new player are tradeskills worth dealing with? I assume the gathering skills are gonna be my primary source of money.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Republicans posted:

As a new player are tradeskills worth dealing with? I assume the gathering skills are gonna be my primary source of money.

Money isn't super relevant in this game in terms of gearing up for combat stuff so don't worry about it. Crafting is actually a net money sink until you've got it to a fairly high level because of all the money you'll spend buying gear. It's worth trying to see if you like it, though.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

Republicans posted:

Neither gathering nor crafting are worth it unless you're willing to max out a gathering class or, if you're truly insane, all of the crafters. You can't really just have one crafter.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

ApplesandOranges posted:

I think PLD TP is fine now, the only things that costs more than 60 TP are I think Shield Lob and Shield Bash. Otherwise your rotation will be a net gain in TP unless you have some really fast attack speed going.

I'll have to see how the VIT changes in damage shakes up, but their DPS looks a lot more solid now at least. Goring Blade having an effective potency of 640 (compared to its old potency of 540) in particular is pretty massive.

Yep! Reasonably confident in the changes, and an occasional dependence on Paean/Rook is acceptable in theory. Excited to see how it plays.

Republicans posted:

I'd say so, at least to 50. Being able to craft your own glamour prisms and alt equipment is nice, along with the ability to repair gear anywhere/anytime. Plus, desynths/dematerialize.

Outside of raiding and pet/glamour gear trading, you don't need much gil. Some pets/gear is crafted only, but most of it is from dungeons & raids.

*Edit - Echoing above sentiments that professions are a time/money sink, especially past 50. To 50 isn't so bad, especially if you have friends/goons to help out. All the professions depend on each other for materials and cross class abilities. Once you start leveling one, you see how connected they are.

isk fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Feb 20, 2016

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

Neither gathering nor crafting are worth it unless you're willing to max out a gathering class or, if you're truly insane, all of the crafters. You can't really just have one crafter.

I mean tradeleves seem to be good for cash, at least early on. There's also the Grand Company delivery things, I don't know how good a source of seals those get to be

Augus fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Feb 20, 2016

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Yeah, the big reason I'm leveling stuff to 50 is so that I don't have to worry about 'oh gently caress I just started this dungeon and all my gear is at 11% durability'. Like that time I did the final boss of WP normal with a broken sword, hat, and pants. As the tank.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

Augus posted:

I mean tradeleves seem to be good for cash, at least early on.

They seem like it, but market values can result in a net loss vs trading with players. The Challenge Log is equally as effective (if not moreso, because it's free and poo poo you do anyway) at generating gil for new players.

*edit - bonus pretty skybox.

isk fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Feb 20, 2016

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Everyone is a mayor... Someday..
Lipstick Apathy

This. This here. Holy poo poo it's about time.

:dance:

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

One more newbie question: Do I need more than one character slot if I'm fine with just doing everything on one guy? Is that a bad idea and I'm gonna want to have multiple characters if I wanna level more than a couple different classes/jobs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Augus posted:

There's also the Grand Company delivery things, I don't know how good a source of seals those get to be

They're very good, both for xp and for seals. While I was leveling crafting, I had to dump seals on cordials and coke almost every day.

• Locked thread