Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Republicans posted:

One more newbie question: Do I need more than one character slot if I'm fine with just doing everything on one guy? Is that a bad idea and I'm gonna want to have multiple characters if I wanna level more than a couple different classes/jobs?

You can do everything on one character. The only reason to make a second character is for more retainers and playing pretty dress up with a different looking character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum

Republicans posted:

One more newbie question: Do I need more than one character slot if I'm fine with just doing everything on one guy? Is that a bad idea and I'm gonna want to have multiple characters if I wanna level more than a couple different classes/jobs?

You can do everything (EVERYTHING) in the game on one character. You can have alts though, but they're usually just for storage or high-end raiding loot stuff.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

Republicans posted:

Nope! I've had 1 character forever. This game heavily encourages doing that as far as equipment. currency, skills, and general progression are concerned.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Republicans posted:

You don't need more than 1 character.

You might think you'd rather have the quests available again to help leveling an alt, but you would be wrong because there is no way you want to repeat the main storyline.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
I want to repeat the main storyline.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

vOv posted:

Money wasn't super relevant in this game in terms of gearing up for combat stuff so don't worry about it. Crafting is actually a net money sink until you've got it to a fairly high level because of all the money you'll spend buying gear. It's worth trying to see if you like it, though.

Hope you like Materia :argh:

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Republicans posted:

Do everything on one character, there's almost zero reason to have two.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

That's a good gimmick, but perhaps not for a primary threat tool. I support whichever goon proposed switching the roles of flash and circle of scorn.

They could have also gone the swtor route where the tank aoe threat skills don't deal damage to cc'd mobs. Well, unless theres some sort of crazy technical limitation behind that one in this game which actually would not surprise me considering the other bizarre limitations they have (chocobo/party interactions)

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Eimi posted:

Yeah, I'm talking outside of hardcore stuff (because that's what I have experience with).

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

Eimi posted:

Materia which you can now get near-effortlessly from Void Ark, beast tribe quests, the diadem, etc.? :raise: The prices are going to bottom out on the market board due to the aforementioned, too, and people have already confirmed that at least some equipment has no forbidden melding allowed, so the slots there are all you need.

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

There's some niche purposes of alts like gearing up for multiple classes for raids still on a weekly lockout or getting around the number of crafter classes you can specialize in. Don't worry about alts unless you find a reason to.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

Scrublord Prime posted:

There's some niche purposes of alts like gearing up for multiple classes for raids still on a weekly lockout or getting around the number of crafter classes you can specialize in. Don't worry about alts unless you find a reason to.

Cannot overemphasize the niche part of this statement. So much content is available outside of this.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Saigyouji posted:

Something odd I noticed in the patch notes: The sheet music for Thunder Rolls (Ramuh's theme) is consistently listed across the various languages as coming from the Ragnarok (in English and German)/Ragnarok Class Containment (in French and Japanese).

It doesn't explicitly note it as Ramuh's theme the way it does with the Ifrit/Garuda/Titan ones. And there's nothing even hinting at sheet music for Moogle, Leviathan, Shiva, Bismarck, or Ravana. They did mention in one of the live letters that they'd start out with only a selection of music and gradually add more as time went on.

The most likely explanation is that it's a typo and is referring to Thunderer, the music for (among other things like Ascian fights) turn 5.

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

vOv posted:

Yeah, the big reason I'm leveling stuff to 50 is so that I don't have to worry about 'oh gently caress I just started this dungeon and all my gear is at 11% durability'. Like that time I did the final boss of WP normal with a broken sword, hat, and pants. As the tank.

The other benefit to leveling crafts to 50 is that it's pretty cheap. The cost of self repairs and making your own glamour prisms will definitely outweigh the gil spent leveling in the long run. You also really only need to level a single one, and then use that one to feed experience to the others through Ixal dailies. Don't forget the challenge log either. Buy or convert to 5 lovely materia and meld them to equally lovely equipment that you can feedback loop in to next weeks challenge for a good boost in experience, especially later on in levels.

Honestly outside of repairs and glamours, I don't really see much of a need for myself to take crafting any higher until the level cap increases. Though carpenter is mid 50s because it was the one I leveled first, and the one I used to grind out Ixal for the others so it was getting challenge log bonuses for a bit. I make way more than enough money from gathering to buy anything I want.

I'm wondering if the new fish being added, and an increase to desynth cap, will mean some fish can desynth in to Tier V materia as well. I guess I should spend the weekend getting fish to raise my skill beyond 180 next week.

omega late edit: I would like to see repairing others equipment make it's triumphant return one day. Just require people to carry their own dark matter to make use of it.

Skaw fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Feb 20, 2016

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.

Vil posted:

It doesn't explicitly note it as Ramuh's theme the way it does with the Ifrit/Garuda/Titan ones. And there's nothing even hinting at sheet music for Moogle, Leviathan, Shiva, Bismarck, or Ravana. They did mention in one of the live letters that they'd start out with only a selection of music and gradually add more as time went on.

The most likely explanation is that it's a typo and is referring to Thunderer, the music for (among other things like Ascian fights) turn 5.

Yeah, looking at the JP notes again it is. Which is odd since the EN/FR/DE notes all note it as Thunder Rolls. Might have just gotten confused over 雷鳴, I guess.

Saigyouji fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Feb 20, 2016

Burn My Dread
Feb 23, 2007

Tear up your fear, the end is coming near, spit it out like a spear, I'll burn your dread
Something I saw in the patch notes that seems to have gone unnoticed:

quote:

Dungeons and trials requiring a full party to register via the Duty Finder:
The Limit Break Gauge will fill more slowly under the following conditions:

Three or more party members are playing as tanks.
Five or more party members are playing as DPS.
Three or more party members are playing as healers.
Two or more party members are playing the same class or job.

Class/job roles are as follows:
Tank: Gladiator / Marauder / Paladin / Warrior / Dark Knight
DPS: Pugilist / Lancer / Rogue / Monk / Dragoon / Ninja / Archer / Thaumaturge / Arcanist / Bard / Black Mage / Summoner / Machinist
Healer: Conjurer / White Mage / Scholar / Astrologian

Back when they introduced that in 3.1, they originally split the DPS in to melee and caster, such that having a NIN/DRG/MNK or an rDPS/SMN/BLM would screw your LB over. Looks like they realized that was a terrible idea.

vv oh I must have missed that, rip.

Burn My Dread fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Feb 20, 2016

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Burn My Dread posted:

Something I saw in the patch notes that seems to have gone unnoticed:

Back when they introduced that in 3.1, they originally split the DPS in to melee and caster, such that having a NIN/DRG/MNK or an rDPS/SMN/BLM would screw your LB over. Looks like they realized that was a terrible idea.

That popped up earlier when it was discussed in the live letter. That's pretty much it.

Willias
Sep 3, 2008

Eimi posted:

I wouldn't worry about it. From the sounds of things, there's a ton of new ways to get materia. Guess they finally figured out that people freaking hate spiritbonding.

flirty dental hygienist
Jul 24, 2007

All aboard the knuckle train to FIST PLANET!!
So I'm learning more about the game as I play and I've found out that you can use other job's abilities on your current job. Since you have to level up two classes to 30/15 anyways, does it make sense to level ALL the classes to 30, either just the base job and/or the one you unlock at 30? It almost seems like they are encouraging you to play all the jobs to maximize your tanking/healing/dps. How many of you just have 2-3 jobs that you focus on and just leave the rest unlearned?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

When you're using a job you're limited to cross skills from 2 specific classes (for example Dragoon is Pugilist and Warrior) so you don't need to do everything right away.

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light

Polegrinder posted:

So I'm learning more about the game as I play and I've found out that you can use other job's abilities on your current job. Since you have to level up two classes to 30/15 anyways, does it make sense to level ALL the classes to 30, either just the base job and/or the one you unlock at 30? It almost seems like they are encouraging you to play all the jobs to maximize your tanking/healing/dps. How many of you just have 2-3 jobs that you focus on and just leave the rest unlearned?

Jobs can only use cross class actions from two classes so you don't really need to get all classes up to their highest action, but it certainly doesn't hurt and most of the really good actions aren't too high level to get so it can be worth doing.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

Polegrinder posted:

The latter.

Once you get to 30 and move on from a class to a job, your cross class selection is more limited. Some jobs get a lot of value from their available cross class abilities (DRK/WAR with Provoke, MNK/BRD with Invigorate, CNJ/AST with Swiftcast, etc.), while others (PLD) get a lot less.

If there's a question about a specific class/job's cross class, you can ask here or Google fu it. Generally, though, the most efficient thing is to focus on leveling one class/job to 60. Unlock content, pick up alt gear along the way, and open up the armory bonus for your alts. But it's not required, and some good cross class abilities are unlocked quickly.

isk fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Feb 20, 2016

Sekret
Dec 6, 2001
Curse you, Massive Genitals!
So I joined a PF group for Diadem, having never gone before. I explain as the group is leaving that I've never done it and have no idea what is going on. Everyone reassures me that it should be fine.

Queue several minutes of no one explaining anything, everyone running around dying repeatedly, and then me leaving the group.

Can someone link me a video or a guide or something for what is going on in that zone?

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
The first thing you gotta do is find aether currents so you can fly. Then you follow your group around killing mobs keeping your deeps per second as high as possible killing strong monsters as much as possible to get an even stronger monster to spawn. Repeat for 90 minutes.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

I think you got it.

Well, you run around to attune for flight and then kill stuff until a notorious monster spawns. Repeat for 90 minutes.

Sekret
Dec 6, 2001
Curse you, Massive Genitals!
Welp.

Glad I left the group.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
Pretty much.

If you're playing with people you know and can gently caress around a bit it's a bit more enjoyable otherwise it is pure death

Spideycloned
Aug 5, 2004

Starfleet Dental

In Dear Leader, we trust.

Mymla posted:

I want to repeat the main storyline.

I haven't even finished it yet and I don't want to repeat it.

Rolled on Cactuar before reading thread, seems to have been a mistake, probably gonna transfer to Excalibur within the next day or two. Appreciate the answers to the questions, game does seem to flow a lot better in early levels.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Diadem for gathering won't be so bad with easy mode requiring 1 aether torrent, but it will only be 30 minutes.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I'm disappointed that the paladin changes aren't more drastic, but I guess if they're going to revamp a class it would be silly to do that in the middle of an expansion cycle. Hopefully they'll shake things up in 4.0, not just for paladins but for the game as a whole. It's starting to get pretty stagnant.

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

Fister Roboto posted:

I'm disappointed that the paladin changes aren't more drastic, but I guess if they're going to revamp a class it would be silly to do that in the middle of an expansion cycle.

Well, it's also sensible to do a moderate step first, see how much of a difference it makes, and then inch closer and closer until results are what you want them to be. Hopefully we aren't waiting until 3.3 for the next adjustments and they just come in with the more regular incremental updates.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Scrublord Prime posted:

Maybe if you want to play on a different server too for some reason and don't want to pay real money to move your current character?

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Did my first real grind today. Pony farming for Leviapony. The lack of a picture here should tell you how the results went. 6 hours of PF with people coming in and out and I only saw one pony drop. And I didn't even get it. A tragedy occurred today.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer

Polegrinder posted:

Aside from folks pointing out that you can only cross class skills from two specific other classes for each class, it isn't standardized what level you would stop at. Many classes have 34 as their highest level CC skill (ex. Archer and Lancer). Others cap lower, at 26 (Thaumaturge, Marauder). Pugilist has its last CC skill all the way at 42 but it isn't a skill really worth using on any other class so you could stop at 12 on them (15 for job unlocks, granted). The HW expansion jobs don't even give skills to other classes.

The game absolutely encourages you leveling everything. I took a few hours one day to level all my alt classes to 15 to allow me to unlock all jobs but also pick them up again later and immediately be able to hop into dungeons. Spread your game play as wide as you want, but do try to pick an early focus to go through the main story so you unlock more features and content. Worst case you realize you don't like your current main class and build up a replacement.

Long term you will probably settle into 1-3 jobs you focus on as your main jobs (many of us have a 60 for each role so we can do whatever goons need filled in a group). Gearing limitations on currency and tokens/drops will prevent you from having cutting edge equipment sets on all jobs at once, but it is fairly trivial to have the classes you enjoy at a place where you aren't being restricted.

I found that the fact that I can switch to another class with literally a single button is huge for convenience and flexibility, so that behavior is quite common among the playerbase.

Edit: ^^^ It's probably confirmation bias but Levi and Ramah seem to be the stubborn bastards about giving up their ponies.

jwang
Mar 31, 2013
Leviathan wasn't too painful for me, but then again when I got my pony it was with a pretty competent group that didn't push phases too quickly. Ramuh, on the other hand, refused to drop a pony for me until my third group farming the horse. The worst offender though is Titan, because that's always a shitfest.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

jwang posted:

Leviathan wasn't too painful for me, but then again when I got my pony it was with a pretty competent group that didn't push phases too quickly. Ramuh, on the other hand, refused to drop a pony for me until my third group farming the horse. The worst offender though is Titan, because that's always a shitfest.

I only want the one. If I see some farms in PF and I'm not doin anything then I may join to help out, but I can already say now that TitanEX is bound to be fuckery. Doing it once was a pain. The fight with Leviathan isn't too bad after a little bit. After a wipe or two generally the group figures out what to do. Had a good tank just call a "Hold" when it was time for DPS to stop. Eventually people stop falling off. With Titan, I don't see an "eventually people stop falling off" point. I just see "Eventually we figure out how many people can fall off without us having to wipe."

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

SonicRulez posted:

I only want the one. If I see some farms in PF and I'm not doin anything then I may join to help out, but I can already say now that TitanEX is bound to be fuckery. Doing it once was a pain. The fight with Leviathan isn't too bad after a little bit. After a wipe or two generally the group figures out what to do. Had a good tank just call a "Hold" when it was time for DPS to stop. Eventually people stop falling off. With Titan, I don't see an "eventually people stop falling off" point. I just see "Eventually we figure out how many people can fall off without us having to wipe."
Some people never stop falling off. Some never start. The key is to go with five or six of the latter group (one to two tanks, one healer, and some DPS) and just steamroll it in under 2:30 every time.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Tortolia posted:

The game absolutely encourages you leveling everything. I took a few hours one day to level all my alt classes to 15 to allow me to unlock all jobs but also pick them up again later and immediately be able to hop into dungeons. Spread your game play as wide as you want, but do try to pick an early focus to go through the main story so you unlock more features and content. Worst case you realize you don't like your current main class and build up a replacement.

Cross Class skills even help with leveling. Unlike your normal skills, cross classes are only level gated by their slots (as in, no matter how high a level your first cross class skill is, you will always have it, even if you're level synced down.)
So yeah, having Stoneskin for Sastasha and such makes that content even more of a joke than it already is.

Leveling everything also helps you in regards to 'so this is how it is for DPS when I do silly stuff on my tank, perhaps I should not do that silly stuff on it' or 'oh, no wonder healers complain about people standing in fires, this is really annoying!' etc.

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun
Reasons to have multiple alts on the same server:

1) you're a top tier progression raider and you want to get around weekly lockouts
2) you want to invest a billion gil and specialize in all 8 crafts instead of just three
3) you want to see all three cities' 1-15 stories
4) weird hangups like not wanting a Lalafell tank or a Roegadyn black mage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

SonicRulez posted:

The key to titan ex is to be in mumble with everyone and mock anyone that falls off mercilessly.

(Its me, the person that falls off, I blame twc and now comcast)

• Locked thread