Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

MasterSlowPoke posted:

I still don't like those stupid eyes, but I don't hate them as much as I did. Cerulean is a neat color for Mechanicus, goes well with the base/robes.

Underneath is a skull. They should have included an option for the "eyes" to be a clear window where you could see a deteriorating skeleton with barely a brain left to run the robit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord
:siren: OH gently caress ITS REALLY HAPPENING :siren:

:gizz:

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

The art's actually pretty decent for recent GW too.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
It looks like GW is actually trying to move in a good direction for once. Now if only we could get plastic sisters.

Seriously, how do you not make minis for a fan favorite like the genestealer cults until now?

jadebullet fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Feb 20, 2016

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Here's the launch video: http://youtu.be/dWlZUaxNPW8

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

TKIY posted:

Here's the launch video: http://youtu.be/dWlZUaxNPW8

Ah there's the "GW teaser made by interns" videos that we never really missed.

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

gently caress IT, IM GIVING GW MONEY

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
That teaser's the equivalent of a shaky avatar. Put some googly eyes on everything and it's golden.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Kilo147 posted:

gently caress IT, IM GIVING GW MONEY

$165. American.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
They're also phasing out the current finecast broodlord sculpt. I'm hoping this means there's a new one coming - I missed out on grabbing the Space Hulk 'stealers and I've always regretted it.

ThNextGreenLantern
Feb 13, 2012

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

They're also phasing out the current finecast broodlord sculpt. I'm hoping this means there's a new one coming - I missed out on grabbing the Space Hulk 'stealers and I've always regretted it.

They haven't released the Deathstorm Broodlord separately yet?

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

ThNextGreenLantern posted:

They haven't released the Deathstorm Broodlord separately yet?
The Space Hulk one? They never did. It turns up on Ebay etc occasionally.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
They did a unique sculpt for the Deathstorm box, perching on a capillary tower. I think it's a little larger than the Space Hulk one.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

SteelMentor posted:

They did a unique sculpt for the Deathstorm box, perching on a capillary tower. I think it's a little larger than the Space Hulk one.
Oh cool, haven't seen that one before. Looks like it's in the same boat as the SH one re buying it on its own though. I might have to find somebody who wants to split a Deathstorm box with me.

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

ijyt posted:

$165. American.

gently caress that poo poo.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

Oh cool, haven't seen that one before. Looks like it's in the same boat as the SH one re buying it on its own though. I might have to find somebody who wants to split a Deathstorm box with me.

Just wait. I can pretty much guarantee that they'll release a the Deathstorm broodlord at some point. The "exclusive" wolf dude and ork warboss are getting a normal release right now. The broodlord probably isn't too far off if they're phasing out the old finecast/metal sculpt.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

jadebullet posted:

It looks like GW is actually trying to move in a good direction for once. Now if only we could get plastic sisters.

Seriously, how do you not make minis for a fan favorite like the genestealer cults until now?

Same reason they were squatted in the first place. The old guard didn't like armies that were too much of a mash of two other armies. They thought it drowned out the uniqueness of of the two parent armies for an army that tended to inherit too much or too little of their parent armies' weaknesses and such were difficult to balance around and struggled to find their own voice. GS Cults, Squats, Orks with Chaos influence and, for a long time 3rd launched Sisters, were casualties of this line of thought.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Same reason they were squatted in the first place. The old guard didn't like armies that were too much of a mash of two other armies. They thought it drowned out the uniqueness of of the two parent armies for an army that tended to inherit too much or too little of their parent armies' weaknesses and such were difficult to balance around and struggled to find their own voice. GS Cults, Squats, Orks with Chaos influence and, for a long time 3rd launched Sisters, were casualties of this line of thought.

That's actually a very fair and valid line of reasoning. In our post-allies world, that doesn't matter nearly as much, though (to the game's detriment).

As far as 40k goes, I think the ideal hybrid implementation is a formation or two that can be added to/are battle brothers with Tyranids that give them access to non-Tyranid psychic powers through a Genestealer Magus.

E: Get a load of this gem--I was talking about Curse of the Wulfen with one of my friends, who suggested that the new Iron Priest didn't replace the old one. I suggested that the new book said otherwise.

Here's the rub--in the new Wulfen campaign book, on page 28, it reads "The Iron Priest datasheet (pg 34) replaces the Iron Priest datasheet found in Codex: Space Wolves.

Seems cut and dry, right? Well then there's this gem, from the new White Dwarf:

How the gently caress does this company do anything

TheChirurgeon fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Feb 20, 2016

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I know genestealer cultists are going to end up as lovely formations if they end up in 40k proper at all, but I'd rather see them as a little codex with only a few options and intended to be used as an allied detachment. Something like:
HQ - Magus or Broodlord
Elites - Purestrain genestealers (maybe they could be a command squad equivalent and hybrids would go here)
Troops - Cultists/Hybrids with limos available as dedicated transports
Fast Attack - A squad of limos, like the equivalent of technicals made out of up-armored limos. Maybe just looted sentinels for extra :effort:
Heavy Support - A looted Leman Russ squadron with limited options

Why would Tyranids want to ally in more genestealers? The purestrains could have a special rule or two to signify that they know the local terrain and are cannier/older/tougher than your average just-spawned genestealer. Other than that, the cultists would give Tyranids some light ranged options and some crappy armor for grins. Allying them to something like guard would be interesting too. I don't know, I'm just spitballing and this dumb idea will probably still be better than GW's actual execution when/if they get around to it themselves.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

TheChirurgeon posted:

How the gently caress does this company do anything

What a clusterfuck. Adding more options and creating more poo poo is not how you make a good game.

I stopped following 40k around the time formations happened and I have no idea how to wrap my brain around the game anymore... and now you can choose which profile you want? Jesus.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

BULBASAUR posted:

I stopped following 40k around the time formations happened and I have no idea how to wrap my brain around the game anymore...
Honestly, I'm in a similar boat. I still read and post in this thread so I'm aware of the new releases GW's putting out, but I don't know what the gently caress's happened to list construction. The last 40k-proper book I bought was the Dark Angels' because I have had that army forever. Formations are garbage and I loving hate them. I'm sure they've sold models, but they have ruined the game. Even from their infancy, I have never liked them because I don't like being told exactly what to take in an army. Especially not in 500+ point chunks. Some of the newer ones are goddamned egregious. Like that combined Ad Mech formation with hundreds of points of free upgrades.

To me, armies should be limited to one primary FOC and one allied and the game should be balanced around that. Weird options and rules interactions should be included within a unit's codex entry rather than arbitrarily given if they are taken with some specific assortment of units. Altering the FOC with bonuses/drawbacks is also cool. This is why I am hoping to hide in the sweet, resinous embrace of 30k. Until that is inevitably ruined by GW too. I hold no illusions.

:cripes: I'm phone posting and I still got all :spergin:y

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

ijyt posted:

$165. American.

Hahahahahahahaha

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?
So I played against the Dark Angels version of the Gladius. I was able to handle it with my Ultras, but how in the gently caress is an assault oriented army supposed to stand a chance against such an outrageous rule as the whole detachment firing at full BS on over watch? I assume the answer is "they don't" but still talk about silly. I assume Orks just auto lose as they get walked over by regular ole tacticals.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Safety Factor posted:

I know genestealer cultists are going to end up as lovely formations if they end up in 40k proper at all, but I'd rather see them as a little codex with only a few options and intended to be used as an allied detachment. Something like:
HQ - Magus or Broodlord
Elites - Purestrain genestealers (maybe they could be a command squad equivalent and hybrids would go here)
Troops - Cultists/Hybrids with limos available as dedicated transports
Fast Attack - A squad of limos, like the equivalent of technicals made out of up-armored limos. Maybe just looted sentinels for extra :effort:
Heavy Support - A looted Leman Russ squadron with limited options

Why would Tyranids want to ally in more genestealers? The purestrains could have a special rule or two to signify that they know the local terrain and are cannier/older/tougher than your average just-spawned genestealer. Other than that, the cultists would give Tyranids some light ranged options and some crappy armor for grins. Allying them to something like guard would be interesting too. I don't know, I'm just spitballing and this dumb idea will probably still be better than GW's actual execution when/if they get around to it themselves.

Well the rumor is a Harlequin style release for cults and Deathwatch. So a few formations with an army list that can't fill every slot.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
Firing at full BS on overwatch is just insane. 'What's that? You want to employ the one strength of your army which your entire battle plan is focused around? No. Let me get a free round of damage utilising my strongest damage type first. Then I get to hit you in CC.'

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

ijyt posted:

$165. American.

Business Gorillas posted:

Hahahahahahahaha

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
It's happening!

The magus owns. The Cultists are the clear winners, model-wise. The deathwatch looks so... boring.

Mango Polo fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Feb 20, 2016

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Ok, those cultists and hybrids rule. They're way better than I expected.

The marines, on the other hand, are just marines though that squad is hilariously mixed. Seven on foot, two with jump packs, one in terminator armor, and a loving bike.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Safety Factor posted:

I would hope for a stealth boost to genestealer units. Like, if within 6" of a cultist unit genestealers get shrouded. Units shot by cultists count as pinned when charged by genestealers (no overwatch and counts-as grenades). Give the magus a special power that forces enemy units to reroll passed pinning checks, making the horror maybe worth it.

Dr Hemulen
Jan 25, 2003

Yeah OK, those hybrids are pretty loving old school.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I wish the abarrents weren't in the same 2 poses, but oh well.

2 units of 15 (when including the magus and primus) and a handful of big dudes. Will be interesting to see if/how they incorporate them into 40k.

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

Those hybrids are so loving good.

ijyt posted:

$165. American.

gently caress's sake, I really want them, but not for silly money. GW pricing strikes again!

Buffalo squeeze
Dec 19, 2010

Oh noble brogy. Overflowing with meaty wisdom and secret sauce.
I'm laughing at the bike. A space marine bike. In a mine environment.

Scowny
Jul 11, 2006

Nice guy, that Kharne
I had to double check that the Salamander didn't have SHITE WAR written on his power fist.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Buffalo squeeze posted:

I'm laughing at the bike. A space marine bike. In a mine environment.

Anything mine carts can do, he can do faster. He can do anything faster than you. *Bib-bib*

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!
You look at the hybrids and you can't believe the same company made the Wulfen or Stormfront Eternals.

Can someone give a breakdown of the contents and the UK price? And are the 40k rules in that White Dwarf?

The genestealer cult seems like a proper small army, while the death watch are a squad and some characters. However some Calth marines and Vanguard could easily turn it into two.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
OK, that actually looks decent, the minis are well designed and well thought through, they've remembered that all the major chapters actually exist, the character names are not dopey as gently caress... what's going on?

The only thing that's slightly off is... how the hell does anyone who *doesn't* have three hands normally wield that mining laser? E: oh, it says they need a servo arm. So, in order to have someone wield that you need to do expensive cyber surgery on them instead of... mounting it on a tripod.

That is so loving 40k.

I'm actually impressed with this so far. I'm sure they'll find a way to wreck it though. I trust them with that.

thespaceinvader fucked around with this message at 10:51 on Feb 20, 2016

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

If Deathwatch get a codex I think I've found a 40k army I can really commit to. Otherwise they'll still be loving rad for kill team or tactical strike.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
I'm more surprised that they don't look like they've been painted by people dragged off the street for once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
I don't loving care, this poo poo is pure Necromunda and I love it.

• Locked thread