Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bilal
Feb 20, 2012

LordZoric posted:

They didn't want one race to have an advantage over the other.

Genius, these guys are geniuses, they know exactly what makes games fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bilal
Feb 20, 2012

Check out my new doom wad. I modded it for maximum fun so that all the guns are identically performing reskins of the pistol. And also you walk backwards slow fuckin lmao

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

check out my doom wad, I've been working on it for 4 years and I don't know how I want armor to work yet. Also the chaingun is getting buffed in 6 months so I've gone ahead and removed it from the game so people don't have fun in the wrong way.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
They removed racial armor?

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Can you really say it's removed if it was never implemented in the first place?

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

LordZoric posted:

They didn't want one race to have an advantage over the other. So they decided to have it based on racial armors that a particular race could start with, but other races could find the blueprints for eventually. This was scrapped and now apparently Novakids just glow and nobody else gets anything cool.

It helps further the idea that "Things could have been cool, but gently caress YOU IM TIY"

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

i don't care if nobody does anything cool and novakids glow. they're cool. maybe the bird people should be able to jump a little higher/glide on holding space i guess. and the fish people should be able to breathe underwater. they could all have that and it wouldn't matter to me if they rest didn't get anything

Rrussom
May 13, 2009
I wish more games featured women turning into toilets. I want toilet transformers.

oddium posted:

i don't care if nobody does anything cool and novakids glow. they're cool. maybe the bird people should be able to jump a little higher/glide on holding space i guess. and the fish people should be able to breathe underwater. they could all have that and it wouldn't matter to me if they rest didn't get anything

Source 'em

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

don't low effort post me you trashboy

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
not having any meaningful differences between the different species is loving lame. give the birds power armor that lets them fly. give humans increased bartering capability or something. give the novakids cool different weapons. let everyone build different guns based on their species and loot/buy the others off of NPCs goddamn it

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Can you really say it's removed if it was never implemented in the first place?

I had the highest their armor on a robot person, it looked cool.

There was a stupid grind to get it that was running desert planets only mining the sand At the top because mining sucks.

Rrussom
May 13, 2009
I wish more games featured women turning into toilets. I want toilet transformers.

oddium posted:

don't low effort post me you trashboy
dont medium effort post in a low effort thread you shitmagician

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Tenzarin posted:

I had the highest their armor on a robot person, it looked cool.

There was a stupid grind to get it that was running desert planets only mining the sand At the top because mining sucks.

THAT is still in, you can still get all of the different armor sets. What never made it in was the different racial armor sets having special abilities.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Babe Magnet posted:

THAT is still in, you can still get all of the different armor sets. What never made it in was the different racial armor sets having special abilities.

Figured that, that sounded like a retarded amount of extra work and planning to a game still in development. The different look was all that mattered to me.

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

Tenzarin posted:

that sounded like a retarded amount of extra work and planning to a game still in development
:irony:

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
stuff like "temporary flight based on equipment" is stuff that is already actually in the game on other stuff so it'd actually be remarkably easy. stuff like number tweaks(eg faster ground speed) would be even easier

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Bilal posted:

Check out my new doom wad. I modded it for maximum fun so that all the guns are identically performing reskins of the pistol. And also you walk backwards slow fuckin lmao
Well that's only a fair comparison if Doom let you choose which weapon you started with.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

did you know that you can choose to play as a human in Chucklefish's "Starbound" ?

they are the well-rounded race in outer space

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

IronicDongz posted:

not having any meaningful differences between the different species is loving lame. give the birds power armor that lets them fly. give humans increased bartering capability or something. give the novakids cool different weapons. let everyone build different guns based on their species and loot/buy the others off of NPCs goddamn it

Only the Novakids are allowed to have special features. They get guns and also a new change was just added so they act as their own light source in the dark.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
yeah, its sorta stupid that all other classes are melee. imo all classes should have access to at least one ranged weapon type. novakids get pistols, monkeys get shotguns etc

Rrussom
May 13, 2009
Yeah, that would have been a good idea. thats why it wasnt implemented

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

Speaking of good ideas (that should've been implemented long ago): There is now a loot all button for chests.

LordZoric
Aug 30, 2012

Let's wish for a space whale!
I know the second I heard about this game my first thought was "I can't wait to mostly use a generic boardsword for the whole game!"

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
When the early access or whatever version of the game came out, I found a sweetass bone mace that exploded when it hit things, sending exploding bones all over the place. It was great for mining and exploding monsters that would otherwise kill me in a hit.

It was a cool weapon back from a time when I still had hopes and dreams.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
Almost everyone has a story about that exact weapon. In retrospect, for being a game that claimed to have so many different potential combinations of weapons and traits, it was a bit of a warning sign.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

LordZoric posted:

I know the second I heard about this game my first thought was "I can't wait to mostly use a generic boardsword for the whole game!"

yeah but you don't understand this space game needs you to start out as a caveman and work on making fire and hitting things with picks so you can simulate the experience of flying across the galaxy and exploring space

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

I like the three paths of tech you get access to. That's a neat idea. But I feel like everything before that point should be sorta condensed and everything after that point expanded much more. Give us more awesome poo poo and less lame crap.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I finally remembered to get my screens off steam of when I played this game at early access release.

Highest robot armor

Custom cyborg ship

House I made out of flesh!

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

Tenzarin posted:

I finally remembered to get my screens off steam of when I played this game at early access release.

Highest robot armor

Good old six eyes

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
They should patch out the game and replace it with factorio imo

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Rotten Cookies posted:

Speaking of good ideas (that should've been implemented long ago): There is now a loot all button for chests.
There always has been, it's called "matter manipulator the chest until it drops as an item and shits out everything inside it" :v:

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Wasn't there a time when destroying a chest would keep the items, inside the chest? Or am I remembering wrong?

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

BillmasterCozb posted:

Wasn't there a time when destroying a chest would keep the items, inside the chest? Or am I remembering wrong?

P. sure that was supposed to be a feature but it was too hard or something.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

Cicadas! posted:

They probably implemented it by accident but then saw it and thought "oh no, this makes the game more fun, better patch it out", like the fast sand mining and ore thing.

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

The brilliance of my posting illuminates the forums like a jar of shining gold when all around is dark
Sand mining, more than anything, makes me sad for what we could have had. Due to an unintended interaction between blocks and characters in our game, resource collection on a sandy planet is fun and fast-paced and literally unlike any other games' (generally boring slow grindy) resource collection! Better get rid of that poo poo pronto!

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Sand mining was lame, you had to do it because mining sucked rear end hard core. you pick was way way way way too slow.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Rotten Cookies posted:

Do you mean an actual Loot All button, or my improvised Loot All, aka Matter Manipulatoring it?

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Cicadas! posted:

It was a mod.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

I'd be fine with something like birds get innate glide / humans heal really fast / apex move faster in all situations / fish people breathe underwater / novakids glow / robots are immune to DoTs, or w/e

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Grapplejack posted:

I'd be fine with something like birds get innate glide / humans heal really fast / apex move faster in all situations / fish people breathe underwater / novakids glow / robots are immune to DoTs, or w/e

Yeah I like this.

To add: Florans get some hp or a short buff from kills?

• Locked thread