Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
I'd probably do two small beams, and two medium frags or multis. Do whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

is it too much to ask for a big rear end miner with a little skimcraft I can detach and go run ridges in? I wanna be Quaiche from Absolution Gap

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Eichel posted:

The distant worlds guys have just demonstrated that 32 players is a soft limit, not hard. Details on Reddit here https://www.reddit.com/r/EliteDangerous/comments/46i7ys/the_true_sagittarius_a_star_52_cmdrs_distantworlds/

And more than 50 players high waking out of sag A* in one giant ripple on youtube here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_I9Bl2bsObA

This is a pretty gorgeous and awesome video.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

Boogalo posted:

I like 2 medium gimbaled multicannons for chewing through armor and 2 small gimbaled beams for bringing down shields. The cobra can run the beams for a long time.

Something like this. Start with D rank internals, upgrade distributor first, then plant and thrusters as you are able.

http://coriolis.io/outfit/cobra_mk_iii/03A4A4D3D3A3D4C271b0p0p0n00B30303272727.Iw1-kA==.IwBj4yKA?bn=CobrA

This is a great loadout for vipers and diamondback scouts, as well

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
Something amusing: One of the two new CGs this week is already finished. Apparently someone hosed up in estimating interest again since it took less then 10 hours to finish this 6-day CG. Also with 257 contributors, they must have found enough survivors of Starship One to populate an entire fleet of battlecruisers.

On the other hand, this was a lost cause from the start: Either you have just enough "survivors" to make sense, but only a couple dozen people get paid before the CG ends, or have tons of survivors to collect so a lot of people can contribute, but the entire CG looks like an insane clown wrote it.

Whoever made this CG then doubled down on the extra stupid by trying to combine both, mutually exclusive goals. Perfect in every way!

The other CG is still running and involves dropping imperial slaves (all slaves really, but last I checked prices for imperials was highest) at Uibuth / D'Arrest Station. If you want to make mad bank while getting paid extra, this is your day.

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

-MOST AMMUNITION EXPENDED ON CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT
-WORST KDR VS CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT

Efexeye posted:

is it too much to ask for a big rear end miner with a little skimcraft I can detach and go run ridges in? I wanna be Quaiche from Absolution Gap

Once deployable fighters are added in, you'll be able to do that in a Keelback (and I think the Type-9 will be able to deploy a fighter too?)

timn
Mar 16, 2010

Libluini posted:

Something amusing: One of the two new CGs this week is already finished. Apparently someone hosed up in estimating interest again since it took less then 10 hours to finish this 6-day CG. Also with 257 contributors, they must have found enough survivors of Starship One to populate an entire fleet of battlecruisers.

I bet they didn't account for the fact that if you keep an active search and rescue mission in your log then basically every planetary signal source that generates for you is a crash site with survivors and you can farm them with impunity.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

YellerBill posted:

Once deployable fighters are added in, you'll be able to do that in a Keelback (and I think the Type-9 will be able to deploy a fighter too?)

I pictured deployable fighters as more of a module than something I could actually pilot, can you point me to some good info about them?

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

-MOST AMMUNITION EXPENDED ON CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT
-WORST KDR VS CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT

Efexeye posted:

I pictured deployable fighters as more of a module than something I could actually pilot, can you point me to some good info about them?

I unfortunately can't locate any better sources with my weak google skills, but this newsletter says:

quote:

Ship-Launched Fighters can be docked in your ship's hold to give you a far greater range of options to tackle any situation in which you find yourself. Deploy your fighter under AI control or take the stick yourself and fly into battle while your mothership lies in wait.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug
I got really excited when I read that my home system was getting a boost!

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Put the boots to him, medium style.

Hair Elf

aleksendr posted:

After making nearly a half million on trade and mission i decided to try my hand at combat. Armed with a brand new Cobra MKIII (i just love the engine sound on that bird) with mostly B and C class fitting i spotted a "low intensity" conflict zone and had the brillant idea of getting involved.

- Meh, that cant be that hard, it say "low intensity" right in the name but at least dock somewhere close before going in. A refuel and re-arm later i was ready to teach those bastard indenpentist some manners.

10 minutes after dropping "in the zone" i was back in the station with 15% hull, a busted canopy, 35 seconds o2 in life support and a soiled space suit.

I did make around 50K by team killing some Vipers but i learned to never stare at an angry Anaconda face. I think i will run a few more missions and maybe upgrade some critical fitting like the shield and power distributor to A class before trying that again.

Is there some way to increase canoppy resistance ?

Don't do conflict zones unless it's to help a faction. The pay is garbage, the ships are WAY tougher than anything you'll find in any RES, and you can very easily get your poo poo pushed in at a moment's notice if you don't know what you're doing.

Seriously, CZ ships pack armor and hull reinforcements, while most pirate ships don't. Bounties also pay out a hell of a lot more. So go kill some rats!

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

Eichel posted:

The distant worlds guys have just demonstrated that 32 players is a soft limit, not hard. Details on Reddit here https://www.reddit.com/r/EliteDangerous/comments/46i7ys/the_true_sagittarius_a_star_52_cmdrs_distantworlds/

And more than 50 players high waking out of sag A* in one giant ripple on youtube here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_I9Bl2bsObA
Holy poo poo. This right here is great. They have to add some kind of in-game corp/group play sometime, and try and improve their lovely P2P matchmaking.

Longbaugh01 posted:

Ok I did the smartphone headtracking thing. Holy poo poo.

Initial setup was pretty easy, but I have a hugeass LG2 so it feels like there's a brick on top of my headset and head.

Ended up spending hours fiddling with the settings in the Accela filter. Like 2 hours, I'm not kidding. Most of it spent in the Hangar Bay moving my head around and then alt-tabbing to adjust various sliders. No matter what I did I could not get rid of jitters. Tried all sorts of things. Re-calibrated my magnetometer, moved the phone in a figure 8, etc. etc. I say gently caress it it's good enough let's launch...

...it got way worse after launching. I'm like what the gently caress. I look at task manager and realize just how much CPU % E:D is actually taking up, but I wonder if lowering the graphics will help. Nope, everything looks as lovely as possible now but the drat headtracking jitters are still there!

I get a bright idea and elevate the CPU priority for the Open Tracker program.

It works like a drat magic spell and instantly all the jitters went away. I proceed to spend more time fine-tuning the tracking settings. So it's like 4 am at this point and I finally go to a Nav Beacon to do some hunting.

I've never tried headtracking at all so it feels like a completely new and alien world. It's nuts. I was just getting used to combat and flying in E:D and all of a sudden it feels like I'm starting from scratch, but not necessarily in a bad way. Headtracking is loving awesome! I just need to get better at not getting lost tracking a target and poo poo. Also, I'm ditching my fixed multi-cannons for gimbaled because gently caress that when trying to re-learn how to shoots ship.
I don't know why it's not in the OP but [url="http://www.delanengineering.com/"]DelanClip[/quote] is a tracking setup that's $40 and more robust than TrackIR. And you won't have to strap your phone to your skull.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Yeah but CZ's can be way more fun than efficiently raking in credits that you can barely buy anything with anyway.

~Capital class signature detected~

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013

Strategic Tea posted:

~Capital class signature detected~

I really want to see this first-hand.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
^^I'm reserving that moment for when I finally have VR.

People mentioned it above but don't know if there was a direct link to the latest dev update on 2.1: https://community.elitedangerous.com/node/388
It does look like they're getting to grips with the frustrating nature of USS' role in missions (you have to look for them and they'll vary in frequency and nature depending on where in a system you are, and you can scan the USS to see what might be there without dropping out of supercruise) and the rank restriction stuff. Definitely promising!

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

I just want the missions to not suck. Make them interesting, like showing up to a fleet battle or something and then joining in. The game has an amazing setting and there aren't enough big gently caress off fights going on.

The CZs are poo poo, they need to add more obstacles/environment to them, especially now with airless body landings. I want to fly into a crater with an exploding base that I fly into descent style, pick up some bros in the cargo hold, then fly out like the loving Millenium Falcon.

Not land on dirtball 2 and die to an AI turret.

Womyn Capote
Jul 5, 2004

How do you complete the diplomatic emergency mission where you have to get the bag? Every time I tried I just ended up killing the guy and nothing popped out.

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

DONT CARE BUTTON posted:

How do you complete the diplomatic emergency mission where you have to get the bag? Every time I tried I just ended up killing the guy and nothing popped out.

I'm not sure this would work since i never completed such mission but have you tried using a hatch breaking limpet ? You kill the target shields and fire one, if it stick it will take a few seconds to hack the hatch system and eject some of the cargo. That or you can destroy the cargo hatch by targeting the subsystem.

If anyone know for sure i would be glad to know too.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

Vorenus posted:

I really want to see this first-hand.

You will want to hear it first-hand, too!

Reverend Jake
Sep 2, 2011
To get the full DF experience, I figured I'd give it a shot tonight on the 55" TV in the living room, via Steam streaming. I unplugged the HOTAS X from the PC in the studio, plugged it into the Macbook in the living room, plugged the Macbook into the TV, started up, marveled at the splash screen and menu in glorious hugeness...

...and then realized that the Macbook wasn't passing the HOTAS X control inputs to the PC. The options screen didn't even notice that there was a joystick plugged in. Any advice, other than "buy a Steam Link?"

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Put the boots to him, medium style.

Hair Elf

Reverend Jake posted:

To get the full DF experience, I figured I'd give it a shot tonight on the 55" TV in the living room, via Steam streaming. I unplugged the HOTAS X from the PC in the studio, plugged it into the Macbook in the living room, plugged the Macbook into the TV, started up, marveled at the splash screen and menu in glorious hugeness...

...and then realized that the Macbook wasn't passing the HOTAS X control inputs to the PC. The options screen didn't even notice that there was a joystick plugged in. Any advice, other than "buy a Steam Link?"

Try installing drivers for it on the mac? Does it need drivers?

xiansi
Jan 26, 2012

im judjing all goons cause they have bad leader, so a noral member is associated whith thoose crasy one

Personaly i would quit the goons if i was in cause of thoose crasy ppl
Clapping Larry

Literally Kermit posted:

You will want to hear it first-hand, too!

Remember one of the few good bits in the worst of the bad Star Wars films?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33SrgAn7hao

Elite capital ships zoning in sound a bit like that, but better.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
Are there any RES near G cap?

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

aleksendr posted:

Is there some way to increase canoppy resistance ?

Just to be 100% clear, if your concern is dying because your canopy is blown out and you run out of air, you can fit better life support to extend the air reserves up to 25 minutes. If your concern was preventing the canopy from getting blown out, then yeah, I think hull reinforcement is the only thing that might help.

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

xiansi posted:

Remember one of the few good bits in the worst of the bad Star Wars films?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33SrgAn7hao

Elite capital ships zoning in sound a bit like that, but better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14WSIyWHwkk

E:D really put the "Capital" in the denomination. Those things make Type-9 and Condas look like ants.

aleksendr fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Feb 20, 2016

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Ok I refitted the iClipper with 2 large & 2 medium pulse lasers and you can stay in a HazRES for hours.

Time to go back to Tun and bribe my way up some more Fed Ranks.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Eichel posted:

The distant worlds guys have just demonstrated that 32 players is a soft limit, not hard. Details on Reddit here

https://www.reddit.com/r/EliteDangerous/comments/46i7ys/the_true_sagittarius_a_star_52_cmdrs_distantworlds/

This is literally breathtaking.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

more capital ship goodness:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=de78Odrw6KE

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Eichel posted:

Glorious.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Eichel posted:

:eyepop:

nippythefish
Nov 20, 2007

FEED ME SNAKES

DancingShade posted:

Time to go back to Tun and bribe my way up some more Fed Ranks.

Not sure how often donation missions spawn there, but I'm currently in Taribes at the only outpost there and it's a shitload better than 17 Draconis was. I've gone from Ensign to 56% Post Commander since yesterday. I'd say it averages about 3 donation missions per instance. Only issue is they don't sell food or medicines, so those missions go untouched.

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Not just for breakfast anymore
What's the equivalent version of that for empire?

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem

DreadLlama posted:

What's the equivalent version of that for empire?

There doesn't seem to exist a system with donating like that to get Empire rank, you seem to have to do lots and lots of surface assault missions for Empire, either in Cubeo or HIP 10716. You refresh the board to accept like 30 missions to go destroy a power generator, go blow up one generator, and then go turn in all the missions. You do wind up getting a bit of a bounty with the tiny faction whose base you attack, but it only counts near their base so it doesn't matter.

From what I've tried, Cubeo was more interesting because the base to assault is a bit larger and slightly more dangerous and interesting, whereas the base in HIP 10716 is tiny and stands no chance against a few dumbfire missiles. You can also get missions in Cubeo to scan a comm beacon in the base for additional rep/money.

Here's some Reddit post where they have screenshots and stuff
https://www.reddit.com/r/EliteDangerous/comments/43q0zq/better_and_faster_way_to_empire_ranks_than_cubeo/

If you want to go to Cubeo instead, it's pretty much the same deal there. You'd want to get started at Roskam Enterprise in Cubeo. Stacking ground assault missions like this also pays pretty nicely, in addition to the empire rank.

Of course, these require Horizons to do

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
I'm probably a bad person for saying this but I like the way the fed ships look. Is saving up for an assault ship a really dumb idea?

Zaardvark
Apr 28, 2015

Ceci n'est pas un GIF.

ZeusCannon posted:

I'm probably a bad person for saying this but I like the way the fed ships look. Is saving up for an assault ship a really dumb idea?

I like the flying-brick aesthetic of the Federal ships, too. Brutal and utilitarian. The FAS is a great ship, and well worth the money. It's generally considered a step up from the Vulture as a dogfighter. The Federal Gunship and Dropship are a bit lacklustre, however, and best avoided.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

ZeusCannon posted:

The FAS will make you feel like a death god, complete with enemy fire ineffectually plinking against your heavily armored body while you laugh in contempt. After flying both a Python and a FAS, I would say the FAS is the better combat ship. After flying and fighting a little bit in my FAS, my Python afterwards started to feel like moving through molasses in comparison.

DONT DO IT
Jun 5, 2008

this level will be fun guys
Coming back into this from a long absence following a bout of space madness. All this powerplay is new to me. I reached 63. G Capricorni with about 1.3mil in the bank. Total assets of around 2.2mil but I'd rather keep my little explorer ship in the event the madness returns. What's the quickest way to make the credits to buy a decked out Vulture?

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe

DONT DO IT posted:

Coming back into this from a long absence following a bout of space madness. All this powerplay is new to me. I reached 63. G Capricorni with about 1.3mil in the bank. Total assets of around 2.2mil but I'd rather keep my little explorer ship in the event the madness returns. What's the quickest way to make the credits to buy a decked out Vulture?

Rez hunt for bounties. What sort of v/l do you have?

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Eichel posted:

Wait. Is one of those guys doing it in a Type-9?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

Akion posted:

Wait. Is one of those guys doing it in a Type-9?

It's a gal, and apparently making that trek in a Type-9 wasn't enough for her, she also streams a 24/7 radio station for everyone on the expedition to slowly go mad to.

They seem like good peeps for pubbies. I'm about one fifth of the way caught up to them now

• Locked thread