Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe
i mean consider this: you're looking at probably the only thread in the hmo that doesn't have anybody in it going "well despite this being a dead game with a predatory cash shop and basically no content, i'm Having Fun :colbert:" which should let you know the relative quality you're looking at here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

justsharkbait
Dec 20, 2013

HOO HA HA
Grimey Drawer

sword_man.gif posted:

i mean consider this: you're looking at probably the only thread in the hmo that doesn't have anybody in it going "well despite this being a dead game with a predatory cash shop and basically no content, i'm Having Fun :colbert:" which should let you know the relative quality you're looking at here

That is actually a very valid point when you think about it.

But game as fun for like the first 2 launch weeks. I would not bother with it now.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I love ArcheAge, it's great fun and I play daily

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

I enjoy it, it's a game that can scratch very specific itches if you like sandboxes and open world. I like the changes they have made to shrink the gear gap and normalized arena, but it is definitely a game that you have to take the good with the bad.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
:yikes:

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
I remember looking at this game back in open beta and being so excited for the high seas naval/piracy action. I remember the crushing disappointment when it became obvious that all the naval stuff was rendered idiotic by everyone just hang gliding onto the decks of opposing ships.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

Yeah, you haven't been able to do that for like a year now.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Eltoasto posted:

:eyepop:

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

do you even turbulence bruh

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Sorry I'm just recalling why I didn't get into the game back when it was new. All I know about it's development since then is pedo gate and supposedly P2W running rampant.

tatersyum
Feb 12, 2006

Eltoasto posted:

Yes you can. You just had to outfit your galleons with 8 harpoons isntead of cannons and you would reel the opposing galleon in and then you could board and kill everyone.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Eltoasto posted:

Is this like what happened with Age of Conan where you use to be able to kick players off of cliffs with your horse?

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Michaellaneous posted:

Hypothetically, let's say I want to play this Game, and I wanna hang out with goons sometimes and click some stuff and maybe do some relaxing poo poo like building my house.

Is this game for me?

Try LotRO. Free to start, houses, a few dozen goons in the guild.

LegionAreI
Nov 14, 2006
Lurk
http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/setView/news/gameId/572/showArticle/38303

Trion banning for "cheating" what

When did this start happening?

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

A year and a half later than they were supposed to.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

but still dont ban bots.

FreeWifi!!
Oct 11, 2013

Okay, that's true. Good point, Marquess. Point for you. But you get a point taken away for being a dick. So, back to zero.
I take it not many ppl do the instance dungeons?

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
Not many people even play this game :P Its all about the Black Desert online now. Or is it Bless?

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
to break the structure up!?
Atlas Reactor is the next great Trion blockbuster.

A turn-based League of Legends-like thing. I was invited to play it, but gently caress Trion.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

Atlas Reactor is a really fun and unique game. Also there is a big difference between games Trion publishes and games they develop.

LesbianCharizard
Feb 1, 2012
Anyone at Morpheus server still playing?

Degs
Mar 2, 2014

I bet some bots are

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

It looks like no goons play this anymore but I thought I would give this a try anyways; I want to make a melee DPS build but this games whole choose three classes thing really confuses me. I was wondering if someone could recommend a build for me to do?

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Be a warlock and sacrifice yourself to satan irl.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

Save yourself a lot of trouble and be an abolisher

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Eltoasto posted:

Save yourself a lot of trouble and be an abolisher

Do you have a build you could link to? I was thinking of trying this one: http://archeagedatabase.net/us/calc/336184/

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I still play ArcheAge

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

I said come in! posted:

Do you have a build you could link to? I was thinking of trying this one: http://archeagedatabase.net/us/calc/336184/

Well that's a blighter, which is also good, a bit tankier than an abolisher. Go for that, it will be good to level with, and it transitions to an abolisher easily.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

What server are you all on? I picked Morpheus which I guess is where everyone is now.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Aranzeb

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

I don't play right now outside of logging in to pay taxes on my land. Morpheus is the fresh start server so it would be good to start there. Kyrios is considered the best server overall, though you would be further behind the curve.

Finndo
Dec 27, 2005

Title Text goes here.
Aranzeb is still tainted by the stench of the goonsquad debacle there, and if Forestcrow is still around their complete dominance of the server basically ruined the game for anyone else wanting to do the endgame PVP content (castle sieges) etc. Plus I don't think anything but a handful of goons play there. So definitely avoid it.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
Archeage is the worst game I've ever played

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

What do you not like about Archeage? Is there anything specifically I should avoid? Without saying the game itself. I just want to get a dude to the level cap and then call it good. There is no such thing as interesting end game content in an MMO.

Degs
Mar 2, 2014

I said come in! posted:

What do you not like about Archeage? Is there anything specifically I should avoid? Without saying the game itself. I just want to get a dude to the level cap and then call it good. There is no such thing as interesting end game content in an MMO.

Uhhhhhhh honestly with that attitude you'll probably be fine. The class system was pretty good, leveling was fine. Getting a boat early on and making it do flips was the best.

Most of what a lot of us hated was how thoroughly end game failed us.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

I said come in! posted:

I feel like you have achieved some sort of MMOHMO nirvana. Teach me your ways.

Archeage has a really light, poppy, themepark ride feel durring leveling. The quests keep pace with the mobs and you are moving through zones at a good pace.

What race you pick heavily influences your story-mode main quest. If you care about that, I think the Asian race is about a revenge kungfu tale and the White race is maybe some thing about killing a guy in his own house and thats okay because you are the chosen one.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

KirbyKhan posted:

What race you pick heavily influences your story-mode main quest. If you care about that, I think the Asian race is about a revenge kungfu tale and the White race is maybe some thing about killing a guy in his own house and thats okay because you are the chosen one.

Elves you are falsely accused of a murder and need to find the real killer.

Cats you are, uh, accused of a murder of a guy you totally killed, and you have to prove that you had a good reason, I guess?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

KirbyKhan posted:

I feel like you have achieved some sort of MMOHMO nirvana. Teach me your ways.

I've been playing MMO's since 1998, in all of my years of playing them I just feel like end game content is nothing but frustration. They all have the exact same grind for gear and doing boring group content.

Degs
Mar 2, 2014

I said come in! posted:

I've been playing MMO's since 1998, in all of my years of playing them I just feel like end game content is nothing but frustration. They all have the exact same grind for gear and doing boring group content.

I think most of us realized that sometime between 2006 and 2009 and we're just hoping for a game that makes us forget it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Finndo
Dec 27, 2005

Title Text goes here.

I said come in! posted:

The game itself has some great concepts, including an economy driven by trade packs that can be carried in bulk by vehicles (carts and ships). The longer the trip, usually, the higher the reward. You can plant farms and build player houses that give various advantages also.

By the way, leveling is super fast in the game, so if that is what you are looking for, this is definitely the wrong game for that. Back in the days when labor potions were cheap, you could level to max in a day or so by crafting bracers.

The reason people seemed to hate the game were as follows:

1) The release was a huge disaster with super long queues that prevented people from getting good land in the initial rush. Customer service was horrible and the company that ran the game was basically inept.

2) The goon guild was run by self-serving jerks who exploited the goon masses and then basically bailed.

3) There were rampant game-breaking exploits (e.g. RNG packs that you could open over and over again, the ability to plant trees underneath the world where nobody could see them and then harvest only the ultra-valuable thunderstruck trees), some of which goons abused, but they got out-exploited and out-spent and out-played by Forestcrow (a guild which basically dominated the Aranzeb server for a year-plus). Forestcrow basically controlled all the key spots on the server whenever they wanted to. They owned all four player-owned castles through various noob/alt guilds. They controlled Freedich Island which is where the highest turn-in ratescould be had. Basically, if you were able to achieve anything in the game in contested areas, it was because they were either offline or didn't really care about it. This situation hurt the feelings of some of the EVE goons.

4) The game is very, very gear-dependent with the highest levels of gear requiring a very high level of RNG luck or a willingness to shell out of RL money in order to support one's RNG habits.

5) A lot of people felt that the cash shop had too many pay-to-win items.

• Locked thread