Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

XCOM1 chat:

I am new to XCOM. When I first boot up XCOM1, I get a splash menu with the choice of XCOM:EW on top in red and XCOM:EU on bottom in blue. Are they two separate games or is it the base game and base game with added content? Am I supposed to just click EW for the enhanced content?

Also, should I do normal or easy difficulty? Should check on Ironman mode and characters' speech in their nationality for the "way it's meant to be played"?

It's base game and base game with added content. Click on EW unless you want to do a regular EU run without the expansion pack additions. (the storyline remains the same regardless of EW/EU)

I would do normal mode. Ironman mode means one save file. If I were you I would not use ironman in case you get frustrated with certain game mechanics that are not always transparent/obvious as to what the effect is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

XCOM1 chat:

I am new to XCOM. When I first boot up XCOM1, I get a splash menu with the choice of XCOM:EW on top in red and XCOM:EU on bottom in blue. Are they two separate games or is it the base game and base game with added content? Am I supposed to just click EW for the enhanced content?

Also, should I do normal or easy difficulty? Should check on Ironman mode and characters' speech in their nationality for the "way it's meant to be played"?

EW is EU with bonus content. Take that option unless you really just don't want to bother with giant robots that punch aliens. Take Normal difficulty. Ironman isn't necessary unless you really want to prevent yourself from save-scumming down the road. The character nationality thing is just fun flavor.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Oh, and what about Second Wave options? Should I enable any of those?

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Just realized. No flying armor this time. :(

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

play and learn the base game in my opinion. Second wave options mix it up for subsequent play throughs.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
Mimic beacons can trigger enemy pods.

:argh:

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

I'd say no to start with. There are a few that are really fun and can easily change up how you play the game, but most are there to increase the difficulty in one way or another.

If you want any for your first playthrough, take Not Created Equally and Hidden Potential for some nice soldier variation.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

AlternateAccount posted:

Just realized. No flying armor this time. :(

Yeah, kinda disappointing. I know flying squadsight snipers were OP as gently caress in EU but they came in the endgame when your whole aresenal was OP as gently caress anyway.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
I wish the steam workshop would:

Give me a prompt asking if i want to update a mod
Tell me what mod wants to update

But this is Valve and we will never have these things.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Dongattack posted:

I wish the steam workshop would:

Give me a prompt asking if i want to update a mod
Tell me what mod wants to update

But this is Valve and we will never have these things.
I know Source Filmmaker does exactly this, so I'm pretty sure this is something Firaxis have to implement on their end.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

The Kins posted:

I know Source Filmmaker does exactly this, so I'm pretty sure this is something Firaxis have to implement on their end.

SOLOMON

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Sober posted:

Man what is with the very final room in this game, who thought it was a good idea.

Aside from the lag and graphical glitches the final room is an absolute blast. Stuff just keeps warping in and it really tests the limits of your toolbox to handle the spawns while also dealing with teleporting assholes.

Protip though, the Avatars are human sized, Vipers can bind humans, and bound humans can't teleport...

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe
Last room is pretty trivial if you're boring and just camp in the inbound hall and spy with mind controlled guys you occasionally send out. Tag an avatar and they usually teleport towards you, so get one shot with a mind controlled dude and you can typically just reel them without their crew into your camp shot by shot and kill them and rarely deal with a few adds.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Unormal posted:

Last room is pretty trivial if you're boring and just camp in the inbound hall and spy with mind controlled guys you occasionally send out. Tag an avatar and they usually teleport towards you, so get one shot with a mind controlled dude and you can typically just reel them into your camp shot by shot and kill them and rarely deal with a few adds.

Boo. Why do you hate fun? Get in the middle of the room and fight the spawns from all the portals at once. Mimic beacons are for nerds and you are a nerd if you bring one.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

Not a Step posted:

Boo. Why do you hate fun? Get in the middle of the room and fight the spawns from all the portals at once. Mimic beacons are for nerds and you are a nerd if you bring one.

Fun is for the youths.

I really want to make a mod where each campaign gets it's own procedurally generated types of monsters. Same within a single campaign but different between them.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

DatonKallandor posted:

Also yes, Chainshot is a lovely ability that shouldn't be in the game when Rapid Fire is. It's just a bad rapid fire. I'm sure if they tried they could have come up with something better than "exactly like ability X but worse". That Grenadiers already have too many shot-replacement abilities just makes it worse.
I literally don't understand chain shot. I thought it was gonna be like shoot at a penalty until you miss, but it's actually just rapid fire but you don't get a second shot if you miss and you never get a third shot and you get a huge cooldown, so ummm... what's up with that? Unless it's bugged.

Unormal posted:

Last room is pretty trivial if you're boring and just camp in the inbound hall and spy with mind controlled guys you occasionally send out. Tag an avatar and they usually teleport towards you, so get one shot with a mind controlled dude and you can typically just reel them into your camp shot by shot and kill them and rarely deal with a few adds.
Yeah this is basically what I did. The actual room itself is just a low cover mess. I would imagine it's an actual challenge in its own right but felt more frustrating than engaging. At least from the time I spent actually fighting in that room before reloading the save (the one time I scummed for anything other than testing mechanics)

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Unormal posted:

Last room is pretty trivial if you're boring and just camp in the inbound hall and spy with mind controlled guys you occasionally send out. Tag an avatar and they usually teleport towards you, so get one shot with a mind controlled dude and you can typically just reel them without their crew into your camp shot by shot and kill them and rarely deal with a few adds.

I charged a dominated Gatekeeper right down the middle and parked a sniper on one of the low towers towards the bottom-right of the room. I had a pretty great time chasing the Avatars around, actually, though eventually I decided to finish off the last one with a huge Void Rift nuke from the Commander's Avatar.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Okay, what? Apparently one of my squad members is stuck on a roof with no way to get off. It's the second mission (Guangzhou) and I can't seem to move him away from cover on the first rooftop. Lake of the squares on the roof get a red box when I try to tell him to move so that doesn't do anything, and the shift camera 45 degrees key and elevation keys don't seem to respond so I have no choice but to keep skipping over the one guy.

Any idea what's going wrong? :confused: This is XCOM1 by the way.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

reignofevil posted:

I actually use them to fish out guys who are hiding in the fog on things like retaliation missions when I want to get everything's attention.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Lotish posted:

If i were to remake Chain Shot, I would make it like a gatling gun version of Reaper. You take a shot with a penalty. If it hits, you get another shot, but with another penalty on top of the first. This continues until you don't hit or run out of ammo.

I'd toss it and make a skill where you use 2 actions and just sweep in an arc in front of you and unload a full 3 rounds. It hits all the enemies in the cone for 50-75% damage, and if you have poo poo like Demolition it will instead destroy all the cover in the cone. If you have Holo-targeting or Shredder they will hit all enemies in the cone with it, as well.

That's really all you'd need a a capstone skill. If there were cars or barrels in the cone, they go boom if you have Demolition. It'd be rad. :allears:

reignofevil posted:

Yes, and it's loving awesome. Scout them in concealment phase and then toss the Beacon over their heads so they scramble into cover facing the wrong way and completely flanked by your entire squad. :getin:

Fuzz fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Feb 20, 2016

along the way
Jan 18, 2009
I just had four soldiers captured because only two made it to the evac on a VIP mission. The VIP evac'd. So now I know that soldiers still in the field get captured even though the VIP was rescued and all enemies killed. gently caress these timed missions.

The only reason they didn't make it to the evac was because the way up got destroyed in crossfire. Took my only two mimic beacons too. End of that campaign.

along the way fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Feb 20, 2016

Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

Respectable Bespectacled Receptacle

along the way posted:

I just had four soldiers captured because only two made it to the evac on a VIP mission. The VIP evac'd. So now I know that soldiers still in the field get captured even though the VIP was rescued and all enemies killed. gently caress these timed missions.

The only reason they didn't make it to the evac was because the way up got destroyed in crossfire. Took my only two mimic beacons too. End of that campaign.

You can get them back one by one as rescued VIPs if you keep playing. The reason Firebrand leaves them behind even if the enemies on the ground are killed is because there are hostile interceptors about to shoot it down, as Central tells you over and over again (and loving over and over again shut the gently caress up Bradford)

Big Sean
Jan 18, 2010

along the way posted:

My last legend ironman campaign ended to my heavy reaction-fire shooting through the floor he was standing on and then through the floor of the level below, which had the extraction point. Which moved the extraction point from "within range of everyone" to "impossible to reach by anyone" and wiped my entire squad. What a lovely game mechanic (also in this case, a LoS bug on the heavy).

The worst thing about captures (particularly early) is they will replace more valuable scientists/engineers in future extraction missions (or at least they seem to).

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Never not send your gremlin to look at a hack. If enemies are near the tower, they will be visible as the gremlin flits back.

Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

Respectable Bespectacled Receptacle
Speaking of evac zones, it turns out you can call in a zone and be unable to use most of it due to roof overhangs. It didn't cause issues on the blacksite mission I was on, but it'd be nice if there were an indicator of which squares were available to actually use in the zone, like having individual blue flares per square.

EDIT: I had a Gremlin activate a pod and make my squad lose concealment after cancelling a lamp post hack. It only happened once but that really sucked.

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance.

Locke Dunnegan posted:

Speaking of evac zones, it turns out you can call in a zone and be unable to use most of it due to roof overhangs. It didn't cause issues on the blacksite mission I was on, but it'd be nice if there were an indicator of which squares were available to actually use in the zone, like having individual blue flares per square.

EDIT: I had a Gremlin activate a pod and make my squad lose concealment after cancelling a lamp post hack. It only happened once but that really sucked.
Don't send GREMLINs out to explore hacking lamps until you've popped pods because that has happened more than once to me. Oh, and Haywire Protocoling a single turret activated all pods in a Facility mission, ouch.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Fuzz posted:

I'd toss it and make a skill where you use 2 actions and just sweep in an arc in front of you and unload a full 3 rounds. It hits all the enemies in the cone for 50-75% damage, and if you have poo poo like Demolition it will instead destroy all the cover in the cone. If you have Holo-targeting or Shredder they will hit all enemies in the cone with it, as well.

That's really all you'd need a a capstone skill. If there were cars or barrels in the cone, they go boom if you have Demolition. It'd be rad. :allears:

You're going to be really excited when you get a colonel grenadier and realize this is already a skill in the game.

I think the difference between chain shot and rapid fire is that chain shot only makes one hit roll - if you miss you miss, if you hit, both shots hit. I think it would work better if it just worked like bullet swarm from XCOM 1, where firing doesn't end your turn so you can choose to shoot twice, or shoot once then move, etc.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Wow, demolition is such a nice skill. Sure, it itself does no damage to an enemy, and takes ammo, but it leaves them totally exposed and you don't need to use a precious grenade. On an Advent Officer in high cover, this is a godsend.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

Speedball posted:

Wow, demolition is such a nice skill. Sure, it itself does no damage to an enemy, and takes ammo, but it leaves them totally exposed and you don't need to use a precious grenade. On an Advent Officer in high cover, this is a godsend.

The main problem I've had is that when I *really* needed it, it never worked, it was always like the one piece of indestructible cover, or whatever.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Is there a mod to let me use both a scope and crit laser? It annoys me that I can't do both!

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

I really wish I had been recording, just this once.

Apparently, if an enemy is on overwatch during a retaliation mission and another triggers a civilian to run away, that overwatch will trigger on the civilian...

...even if said civilian is actually a faceless. And yes, the damage carries over to the now-revealed faceless. :allears:

Subwooper
Dec 25, 2006

Phasers armed and ready.
:wooper:

Zomborgon posted:

Apparently, if an enemy is on overwatch during a retaliation mission and another triggers a civilian to run away, that overwatch will trigger on the civilian...

...even if said civilian is actually a faceless. And yes, the damage carries over to the now-revealed faceless. :allears:

i think this happened watching a beagle run. nonetheless hilarious.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Zomborgon posted:

That happened in one of Beagle's recent videos, too. I guess even ADVENT can't tell who the Faceless are.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

In "moments I wish I had a recording for it," my very first use of the Shredder Cannon had my concealed grenadier set up a perfect shot on three nasty-looking ADVENT guys in a pod in an urban area. Only problem was, that angle would also blast a nearby civilian.

I saved the game, said "gently caress it" and shot anyway.

The civilian survived with 1 hit point...because they were a Faceless! Who revealed themselves! AAAAH!

Hahahaha. Guilt trip averted!

In other, OTHER grenadier tips: Which do you guys like more, holo-targeting or a third grenade? They're both good...

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Speedball posted:

In "moments I wish I had a recording for it," my very first use of the Shredder Cannon had my concealed grenadier set up a perfect shot on three nasty-looking ADVENT guys in a pod in an urban area. Only problem was, that angle would also blast a nearby civilian.

I saved the game, said "gently caress it" and shot anyway.

The civilian survived with 1 hit point...because they were a Faceless! Who revealed themselves! AAAAH!

Hahahaha. Guilt trip averted!

In other, OTHER grenadier tips: Which do you guys like more, holo-targeting or a third grenade? They're both good...

Holo targeting is nice but I got a lot of utility out of the extra grenade just because of how much more useful the experimental grenade types are than they were in Enemy Within - gas grenades and flashbangs are both super useful and have CRAZY huge blast zones, and EMPs will take a lot of the bite out of some otherwise pretty scary endgame enemies. Meanwhile, holo-targeting only works for one turn, on an enemy that you already took a shot at, meaning that unless it's like a Sectopod or something, it's probably going to help maybe one more person hit the enemy before it just dies. And if it IS a sectopod, there's the aforementioned EMPs.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Speedball posted:

Third grenade, hands down. Holo-Targeting is cool, but it's better as an AWC perk on another class, I think. A Specialist would be ideal for it, I think.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Speedball posted:

More grenades is always the answer.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

SeaTard posted:

More grenades is always the answer.

Grenades are the most precious of resources. When you are out of ways to demolish vast areas of cover disposing of pods suddenly gets very difficult.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

Okay, what? Apparently one of my squad members is stuck on a roof with no way to get off. It's the second mission (Guangzhou) and I can't seem to move him away from cover on the first rooftop. Lake of the squares on the roof get a red box when I try to tell him to move so that doesn't do anything, and the shift camera 45 degrees key and elevation keys don't seem to respond so I have no choice but to keep skipping over the one guy.

Any idea what's going wrong? :confused: This is XCOM1 by the way.

Not entirely sure, but try save/reloading. It's also possible theres some sort of weird terrain damage or somethings on fire nearby. Whatever, it's a sniper, let him snipe. Or jut go without.

The pain is good. The pain teaches you things.

I love how many people have trouble with timers and poo poo. You start those missions invisible most of the time, use it to your advantage. Being invisible is great. The only thing that terrifies me is that 50% timer reduction Dark Event from the True Concealment mod. Because I don't frequently have five turns remaining on my EVAC timer. And since I know the guy who made it posts in this thread, let me say this: I hate that Dark Event. I like it as a Dark Event, but I feel like 50% can make them quasi unwinnable. 20 or 30 would work a lot better, maybe. I find it would make the train missions really hosed because they have really lovely LOS. At least with a regular terminal/cannister you could get it within LOS and send out your GREMLIN those things basically need you to be in the train for it work. And those fuckers are sturdy.

Grenadier chat: Grenadiers have so many good perks it's not even funny. If Demolition worked properly it'd be a strong contender versus suppression, and more grenades vs. holotargetting just makes me wish I could pack more grenadiers in a mission, because they typically just destroy cover for me, though I later typically have one dude focused on cover destruction and one dude carrying utility nades.

Also my fighty ranger got serial as a perk, it's fuckin hilarious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Speedball posted:

Take two grenadiers, one of each type, until late in the game when you have two psions and a collection of scopes and aim PCSs. That's when the explosives fall off in usefulness.