Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
OSX is pretty drat good at putting everything right back like it was after a reboot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Inspector_666 posted:

Hosts don't communicate across subnets in any case, that's on the router, isn't it?

Does HP set the TTL on all of their scanners to 1?

Hosts need to know their gateway if they want to get past the local segment/router, and they need to know their subnet so they properly route remote traffic through the gateway. They sort of need to know their subnet if they want to talk to everyone on the same local subnet.. if everyone else has a /22 and one host has a /24, then it'll have issues communicating with any hosts beyond the first 255 addresses.

What it sounds like to me, if the HP literally cannot talk to anything beyond the local network, is they just didn't provide a way to specify a gateway. Which would be colossally stupid, but as I said previously, the network stack on HP printers has historically been poo poo so I wouldn't be surprised if that were the case.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

xzzy posted:

Hosts need to know their gateway if they want to get past the local segment/router, and they need to know their subnet so they properly route remote traffic through the gateway. They sort of need to know their subnet if they want to talk to everyone on the same local subnet.. if everyone else has a /22 and one host has a /24, then it'll have issues communicating with any hosts beyond the first 255 addresses.

What it sounds like to me, if the HP literally cannot talk to anything beyond the local network, is they just didn't provide a way to specify a gateway. Which would be colossally stupid, but as I said previously, the network stack on HP printers has historically been poo poo so I wouldn't be surprised if that were the case.

Right but if the HP device can't accept a subnet mask or gateway address then how the gently caress is it supposed to communicate with anything? You can't give a thing just an IP address.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Inspector_666 posted:

Right but if the HP device can't accept a subnet mask or gateway address then how the gently caress is it supposed to communicate with anything? You can't give a thing just an IP address.

If it can't accept a subnet mask, it's literally useless. If it can't accept a gateway it is only useless beyond the LAN.

I guess if they hardcoded the mask to something, like 255.0.0.0, it might work for most local networks. But some engineer should get punched if that actually happened.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?
I think it's more likely that the HP support rep that the guy spoke to was a complete idiot...

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Inspector_666 posted:

Sure you can. Just send out an ARP request for whatever IP you want to talk to, and if that isn't on the local subnet, well sucks, no ARP response and no connection for you.
Heck, you might even be able to just send only Ethernet broadcast frames and not even do ARP.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
Anyone want to make a guess at the size of the driver for the scanner that doesn't communicate across subnets?

I'm gonna say 450 MB.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Thanatosian posted:

This just makes me remember when I was having computer issues that after probably eight hours of troubleshooting had me convinced I had a failing mobo, until someone on these forums was like "hey, is that unmatched RAM you're using? You should pull that, that breaks things." And I replied "it's been like that for two years without a problem, that's just an old wives' tale, might have been true back in the day but not now old man," etc., but gave it a shot anyhow, because it was an easy test and better than buying a new mobo... and everything magically started working.

I'll be swinging my walker at "kids these days trying to use unmatched RAM" well into my 80s, I'm sure.

It wasn't even true back in the day. Yet greybeards still believe all kinds of crap like "386s need all RAM sticks to have the same number of chips or it won't boot!"

Sweevo fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Feb 20, 2016

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

seriously where the fuck did this genre come from

xzzy posted:

If it can't accept a subnet mask, it's literally useless. If it can't accept a gateway it is only useless beyond the LAN.

I guess if they hardcoded the mask to something, like 255.0.0.0, it might work for most local networks. But some engineer should get punched if that actually happened.

Most likely it just works with discovery by broadcast, thus it is unable to see anything outside of its subnet. We had the same problem when management bought a handful of iPads and then told us to make them print. Turns out iPads discover printers by using the broadcast IP and seeing who responds, and was never going to work since wireless devices are all on their own subnet. No way to manually put in an IP to print to.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

^ You can fix that, either with this:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/wireless/aironet-1100-series-access-point/113443-cuwn-apple-bonjour-dg-00.html#deploysteps

Or by purchasing any number of access points that have the functionality built in (Aerohive, Meraki, others probably).

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Thanks Ants posted:

^ You can fix that, either with this:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/wireless/aironet-1100-series-access-point/113443-cuwn-apple-bonjour-dg-00.html#deploysteps

Or by purchasing any number of access points that have the functionality built in (Aerohive, Meraki, others probably).

Yeah, iPad/iPod/iPhone printing in an Enterprise network is pretty easy to solve.

Deliberately crippled device that only works in a broadcast domain, not so much. But then I don't believe a networked scanner had that limitation. It was not understanding how to configure it that was the issue. I'll be more than happy to eat my words if someone can produce an actual available model that has half-rear end networking like that, but I don't think anything like that exists.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

unclenutzzy posted:

Speaking of restarting, look at these words I received in response after asking someone to reboot earlier today.

Thank God today is this guys last day.

But, my Facebook and tumblr tabs :smith:

Mr. Clark2
Sep 17, 2003

Rocco sez: Oh man, what a bummer. Woof.

I've spent time over the last several months removing flash from pretty much almost all the workstations in our domain. I've gotten it down to only being installed on the odd machine that absolutely requires it to run some stupid educational app.
As part of our new Cisco VOIP phone system rollout , my boss posts a link to a "Phone training" on our intranet site...and it requires flash. His solution? Reinstall flash on all the machines. :negative:

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Mr. Clark2 posted:

I've spent time over the last several months removing flash from pretty much almost all the workstations in our domain. I've gotten it down to only being installed on the odd machine that absolutely requires it to run some stupid educational app.
As part of our new Cisco VOIP phone system rollout , my boss posts a link to a "Phone training" on our intranet site...and it requires flash. His solution? Reinstall flash on all the machines. :negative:

Or use IE11 which has flash built in and gets patched via windows update!

mewse
May 2, 2006

Brut posted:

Wait, maybe I read it wrong or something but you didn't really fix the problem, you just refunded the scanner that didn't work. I realize the rest of it isn't really under your control.

Problem being "we can't scan" and I went over there and hooked up the scanner they purchased to deliberately bypass my boss

quote:

A modern HP scanner that does not communicate across subnets though, what model is that? sounds fascinating.

HP Scanjet N6350. I don't think the limitation is with the device's IP stack or anything but the computer software and the embedded webserver are intentionally crippled for some reason. You can set a subnet mask and gateway.

These are the KB articles I found when I encountered the problem:

quote:

Your computer must be on the same subnet as the HP Scanjet N6350 to be able to discover, connect to, and scan from the device.

quote:

NOTE: This scanner is designed to work in the same subnet.

quote:

Make sure the device is installed on the same subnet as the computers that will be using the device.

nitrogen posted:

I think it's more likely that the HP support rep that the guy spoke to was a complete idiot...

I concede I didn't call HP about it because of the docs above

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

What a loving colossal piece of poo poo. Not unexpected from HP though, sadly.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

MF_James posted:

Or use IE11 which has flash built in and gets patched via windows update!

Or Chrome which also has Flash built in using a much more sandboxed plugin API, self-updates, and isn't Internet Explorer.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

wolrah posted:

Or Chrome which also has Flash built in using a much more sandboxed plugin API, self-updates, and isn't Internet Explorer.

I thought IE11 used a sandboxing model.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Ynglaur posted:

I thought IE11 used a sandboxing model.

It does, but the Flash plugin still interfaces with the browser through ActiveX which wasn't designed for security, similarly to the Netscape Plugin API (NPAPI) that was previously the standard way to support plugins in non-IE browsers. Sandboxing plugins running on these APIs is harder because it's an afterthought.

Flash in Chrome uses Google's PPAPI, or "Pepper", which started as a cut down and updated variant of NPAPI but was eventually rewritten and is designed from the ground up to support sandboxed plugins.

In theory if you have a Flash vulnerability there should be less opportunity to escape the sandbox under Chrome than IE or Firefox. How this plays out in reality I don't know.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

xzzy posted:

I once had the most awful political fight with Development over accessing some of their test machines over the VPN. It turns out that about a third of their systems were configured without a gateway.

And a few weeks later I got laid off. And the one guy in Dev who actually understood why they needed a gateway configured. Best of luck !

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

wolrah posted:

It does, but the Flash plugin still interfaces with the browser through ActiveX which wasn't designed for security, similarly to the Netscape Plugin API (NPAPI) that was previously the standard way to support plugins in non-IE browsers. Sandboxing plugins running on these APIs is harder because it's an afterthought.

Flash in Chrome uses Google's PPAPI, or "Pepper", which started as a cut down and updated variant of NPAPI but was eventually rewritten and is designed from the ground up to support sandboxed plugins.

In theory if you have a Flash vulnerability there should be less opportunity to escape the sandbox under Chrome than IE or Firefox. How this plays out in reality I don't know.

Thanks for the excellent explanation.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?

I, uh... Wow.

I really had a hard time believing that HP was this stupid.
I apologize for doubting you.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

I am working at a remote site today, recabling a couple network racks. I just took a patch cable directly to the eyeball, it hurts like a motherfucker.

Other fun times in working remote, this happened next door to my hotel last night. Even heard the gunshots: http://www.cnn.com/2016/02/21/us/michigan-kalamazoo-county-shooting-spree/ :(

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Sirotan posted:

I am working at a remote site today, recabling a couple network racks. I just took a patch cable directly to the eyeball, it hurts like a motherfucker.

Other fun times in working remote, this happened next door to my hotel last night. Even heard the gunshots: http://www.cnn.com/2016/02/21/us/michigan-kalamazoo-county-shooting-spree/ :(

Holy poo poo, when I read about that this morning I thought hey, I know someone who lives there, but Kalamazoo is way on the other side of the state, I'm sure she's fine. Sorry to hear you had to experience that, but glad you're safe.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

nitrogen posted:

I really had a hard time believing that HP was this stupid.

I have spotted your mistake: believing there are levels of stupidity to which HP will not sink.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

Thanatosian posted:

Anyone want to make a guess at the size of the driver for the scanner that doesn't communicate across subnets?

I'm gonna say 450 MB.

I don't think HP drivers can get below 450 MB, so that seems like a safe bet.

Thanks Ants posted:

What a loving colossal piece of poo poo. Not unexpected from HP though, sadly.
HEY! They made good stuff until ~2003.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Crowley posted:

I don't think HP drivers can get below 450 MB, so that seems like a safe bet.

HP is the one who included APACHE SERVER on their printer drivers at some point right?

hihifellow posted:

Most likely it just works with discovery by broadcast, thus it is unable to see anything outside of its subnet.

Didn't HP JetDirects work in the same way?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Who remembers the consumer print drivers that 'helped' you out with notifications like talking reminders "PRINTING STARTED", 'BLACK INK LOW', 'Click here to buy more of our lovely over priced ink direct from Lexmark.com!'

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Bob Morales posted:

Who remembers the consumer print drivers that 'helped' you out with notifications like talking reminders "PRINTING STARTED", 'BLACK INK LOW', 'Click here to buy more of our lovely over priced ink direct from Lexmark.com!'

You say that as if that never stopped.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

They now have consumer drivers that will self-order ink when low; without any prompting from you.

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".

Tarranon posted:

under dns manager, website name, host file named www, someone had put the incorrect or what I assume was the old IP address.

so I put in the one I knew resolved to dreamhost and it worked. just like that. why was it going to the domain earlier? why doesn't it still go to the domain controller even tho I walked back the redirects and other host file shenanigans I attempted? I do not know. but it's done. Thanks y'all.

Awesome! Glad it all works!

Sounds like you did have an address resolution problem (as pointed out by other posters) more than what I assumed you had which was more of an internal IIS Request Handler/Mapping problem that could have been solved by adding a host header.

Storysmith posted:

SNI exists, solves this very problem, and is supported on the client side by everything that isn't Windows XP or android 2.3, why not just use that? I can't imagine a decent hosting provider wouldn't support it, since it's literally designed to solve the problem of "hosting many websites on a single public IP."

You'll have a "default" SSL cert that gets shown to people who hit it via IP, and otherwise, the client negotiates what site's cert it's expecting via the https handshake.

Modern Apache and nginx do it, does IIS not?

(I've been building an nginx front end to an application server that works exactly as you described, only instead of 30 IPs, it's half a /24.)

I learned something new today, thanks. But SNI is only supported by IIS versions after 8.0 which means anything earlier than Windows Server 2012 is out.
http://www.iis.net/learn/get-started/whats-new-in-iis-8/iis-80-server-name-indication-sni-ssl-scalability

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Walked posted:

They now have consumer drivers that will self-order ink when low; without any prompting from you.

If you don't give them your CC or address how does that happen? Also it's against the law for a company to mail you something with an invoice and then pressure you to buy. You can actually just keep it as a gift.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

If you don't give them your CC or address how does that happen? Also it's against the law for a company to mail you something with an invoice and then pressure you to buy. You can actually just keep it as a gift.

Probably some bullshit in the TOS with a default radial and a checkbox that says "Click here to agree to all services and confirm you've read the options above" that people blindly click through because hey, it's a printer install, there's nothing important in there.

A lot harder to keep that item as a gift when they have a (non-signed) agreement that you wanted poo poo automatically mailed to you for maintenance. Sure you could fight it but is that really worth the company's time?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Bob Morales posted:

HP is the one who included APACHE SERVER on their printer drivers at some point right?

Didn't HP JetDirects work in the same way?

No, they would run a smallish print queue on a TCP port somewhere in the 9000s.

It's been since the late 90s since I've had to configure JetDirect, but if I'm recalling correctly, you had to cycle through the options using the MENU system on the printer itself. I think the last one I did that was an add-in card was a LaserJet 3 and the built in printers were LaserJet 5.

Eikre
May 2, 2009
I've got an HP at home for those rare occasions that I need to print and can't just wait until the next time I'm at the office. I literally don't even keep it plugged in; I dig it out, set it up, and put it away every time I use it. It's like a spaghetti maker, or something.

Point is, it's old enough to have been encompassed by the generic microsoft drivers, so now it's just a no-frills plug and play. It is under these terms and no less that I abide.

Suffer not the HP driver to install.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

flosofl posted:

No, they would run a smallish print queue on a TCP port somewhere in the 9000s.

It's been since the late 90s since I've had to configure JetDirect, but if I'm recalling correctly, you had to cycle through the options using the MENU system on the printer itself. I think the last one I did that was an add-in card was a LaserJet 3 and the built in printers were LaserJet 5.

My 2100 has a JetDirect card, (605 maybe?) and I have to reset it to default with the power button and then reset everything with a laptop plugged into the card using the default IP and the card's builtin webserver if something gets screwed up because of the lack of any kind of onboard display.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Anyone have a good example of a website clearly designed for like IE10?

I'm going to have to do a presentation on testing document mode and enterprise mode to my IT department and i've done a good enough job at hunting our regulars down that they are all already in the xml file ><

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
"Trapped in I.T., Dick Trauma finds himself leaping from job to job, putting things right, that once went wrong and hoping each time, that his next leap will be the leap home."

I started my job search this morning. :shepicide:

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Dick Trauma posted:

"Trapped in I.T., Dick Trauma finds himself leaping from job to job, putting things right, that once went wrong and hoping each time, that his next leap will be the leap home."

I started my job search this morning. :shepicide:

Hey at least you are alive! I hadn't seen you post in so long I feared that you or your parents had a health scare or something.

Was it the crazy hyper-ventilating building manager that did you in or just general managerial incompetence? Wait wasnt there the crazy HR item closed out lady too? To much crazy in one office. Good luck with the job hunt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Hey at least you are alive!