Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ZenMaster
Jan 24, 2006

I Saved PC Gaming

Parias posted:

hi everyone what's going on in this thread :cool:

For the last few months I've been tearing apart the leaked (moddable) alpha build of SC with four primary objectives:

* Make the Constellation flyable in a build the "public" actually has access to (note: this project started before 2.0 came out, but this also uses the "old" Constellation, not the revamped one)
* Make a fun story using a combination of mission scripting edits and post-processing witchcraft, using completely original footage of a heavily modded (if buggy) game environment to capture the kind of situations I hope Star Citizen can one day pull off
* Put this goon's amazing voice in the game
* Sneak a Goonrathi logo in somewhere (you'll know it when you see it)

After an insane amount of effort (and an even more insane amount of generosity from the aforementioned goon voice-actor (3 / Arkimedes) in churning out all the dumb lines I sent him and making them actually sound awesome), I've finally accomplished all four of these objectives! I'd love to hear what you guys think :)

Introducing: Flight of the Constellation v2.0! (v2.0 because this one's way more awesome and ambitious than the first one)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8mkgfJ9ltEs

Extra special thanks to Beer for providing inspiration and pointing me in 3's direction.

Wow. I watched the entire thing, bloopers and all. That was incredible. Voice acting was better than most games actually. :0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Parias posted:

This build had a ton of loving bugs. That bloopers bit at the end doesn't even begin to cover the misery I went through trying to get this working. Since it was apparently compiled with a codebase more geared towards a Star Marine demo rather than proper space combat this doesn't surprise me. I think this build was also before they got all the 64-bit stuff working, and I had spawned the Constellation at some pretty distant coordinates.

Pretty much all the problems I ran into have long since been fixed of course. I'd have killed to make this on a much newer build without so many blatant bugs, but CIG moved uber-fast to lock down our ability to mod the game right after the leak came out. I've asked if we can get some kind of multiplayer-disabling option to re-enable mod support (i.e. PAK signing requirement) for the sake of us machinima people who try and promote the game but keep getting told no :( I get that it's too early in development to really think about that stuff anyways, but at the same time would it really be the end of the world if they spent a bit of extra time coding a feature to disable the PAK signing requirement if a "/devmode" parameter was passed or something? Who knows, maybe that would be super-hard to put in right now given the ever-evolving codebase.

Someone did send me some tips on using Cheat Engine to allow customized files that might work with the newer builds though. Might explore that at some point.

Wait, I assumed the video was in the same style as pgabz stuff (I've not watched it yet) but this reads like you poured a ton of time and effort into making some kind of promotional material for this scam and even tried to get help from CIG with it?

Why? A $100 million company seems to be doing ok fleecing idiots with entirely unrepresentative videos of their game they do not need your help.

When I'm not phone posting I'll actually watch it but if this is seriously some machinima puff piece for CIG what the gently caress dude.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
new gif of Alpha 2.2

http://i.imgur.com/O5pbXsC.gifv

oh wait that's Elite :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_I9Bl2bsObA

A Neurotic Jew fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Feb 20, 2016

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

A Neurotic Jew posted:

new gif of Alpha 2.2

http://i.imgur.com/O5pbXsC.gifv

oh wait that's Elite :lol:

Yeah, but you can't get out of those ships and listen to a single set of audio logs that by some accounts, and I don't want to be hyperbolous here, have moved people to tears and are some of the most moving pieces of writing in fiction today. :smug:

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

youll have to forgive parias, he spent so long making whatever that is (didnt watch) he missed that this is an obvious scam now

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

peter gabriel posted:

I loaded up Star Citizen and Line of Defence tonight so you can blame them for this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VytIwkBplPs

Absolutely brilliant.

:five:

Salt n Reba McEntire
Nov 14, 2000

Kuparp.
I lost it at emptyopen my sack. Top video :pgabz:

E: Really sorry about your video, Parias, it looked alright. Although all I could think of throughout was 'why the bloody hell can't you see anything out of the front of this ship' and there were some voices and stuff.

Salt n Reba McEntire fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Feb 20, 2016

hottubrhymemachine
May 24, 2006

Connie is death process
Its OK parius you werent to know that you were wasting your time on that when you started.

Sadly beyond a few well meaning goons nobody is going to give a poo poo because the game is an obvious scam/clusterfuck now. Reddit will hate it because youre a goon and so will the rsi forums. CIG will hate it because it looks buggy and youre a goon.

I hate it because its poo poo and a waste of time.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
Bit harsh.

BeefThief
Aug 8, 2007

The video was pretty good. Sort of a trip into the imagination of a person who spent lots of money on Star Citizen and thinks the game may one day live up to somebody's expectations.

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Here comes a new challenger!
Oven Wrangler

BeefThief posted:

The video was pretty good. Sort of a trip into the imagination of a person who spent lots of money on Star Citizen and thinks the game may one day live up to somebody's expectations.
:smith:

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

grimcreaper posted:

Yeah, serious poo poo has happened there. Here as well. There was the one dude who wanted information on different ammo types and then killed at least 1 person using the info he was given here. Not to mention one of Goon Fleets leaders harassing a guy non stop in eve, and then elsewhere, until the guy considered suicide and the goon fleet guy, ON STAGE with CCP told him he should do it if he cant handle a little harassment after months and months of continued harassment in and out of Eve.

SA has had its share of serious poo poo happen.

The comedic part of that whole thing was when sites like Massively, RPS, etc. all reported on it and called it bullying the Goon Fleet guys lost their collective poo poo and started wailing about it all over the place demanding retractions etc.

According to the person who said that poo poo, the whole "being called a cyberbully" type of "yellow journalism" was why he made his own video game news site free of that sort of stuff which lasted a whole 2 years before doing it to get more views :ironicat:

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Feb 20, 2016

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)

Parias posted:

For the last few months I've been tearing apart the leaked (moddable) alpha build of SC with four primary objectives:

* Make the Constellation flyable in a build the "public" actually has access to (note: this project started before 2.0 came out, but this also uses the "old" Constellation, not the revamped one)
* Make a fun story using a combination of mission scripting edits and post-processing witchcraft, using completely original footage of a heavily modded (if buggy) game environment to capture the kind of situations I hope Star Citizen can one day pull off

After an insane amount of effort (and an even more insane amount of generosity from the aforementioned goon voice-actor (3 / Arkimedes) in churning out all the dumb lines I sent him and making them actually sound awesome), I've finally accomplished all four of these objectives! I'd love to hear what you guys think :)

Introducing: Flight of the Constellation v2.0! (v2.0 because this one's way more awesome and ambitious than the first one)

Extra special thanks to Beer for providing inspiration and pointing me in 3's direction.

nice work commando

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

i GISed the stimpire star citizen forum post and got this

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Maldoror posted:

can we have a scat swapping empire

No. Wank to what you want, but I am staying canon accurate to the Sacred Records.

Iglocska
Nov 23, 2015

Parias posted:

Man, if we'd get that as a game instead of SQ42... :(

cl_gibcount 9999
Aug 15, 2002

it has the same amount of interactivity as sq42 will have commando

Iglocska
Nov 23, 2015

cl_gibcount 9999 posted:

it has the same amount of interactivity as sq42 will have commando

There's a lot of interactivity left in SQ42 if you just skip the cutscenes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPdX8M8LO8Q

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
I come with heretical knowledge! The sacred record of the fourth stimpire was foretold before being written by Zealot.
https://libraryofbabel.info/bookmark.cgi?ol.oxsc156

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Parias posted:

Very well done. Thanks for the entertainment :)

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

There's always more and it's promised in the 'verse.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubAjVo--bk4&t=2943s

I liked this tidbit about Chris being in Frankfurt

Crazy_BlackParrot
Feb 1, 2016

Christ Roberts is way better than toilet lord...
:gary: :lesnick: :yarg:
:pgabz: :fuzzknot: :eonwe:
:wtchris:
This thread is loving awesome
https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/319066/starfarer-pushed-back-into-march/p7

Lots and lots of people sobering up. and even more so in denial.

Crazy_BlackParrot fucked around with this message at 11:52 on Feb 20, 2016

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Crazy_BlackParrot posted:

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/319066/starfarer-pushed-back-into-march/p7

Still amazed FrigginTommyNoble isn't banned yet :allears:

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

FrigginTommyNoble is my spirit animal

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

These people are slow. Santa told them private servers wouldn't be in your lifetime and they're still expecting private servers to solve every contradictory promise. Chris could release a video of him comically stuffing money into a suitcase and booking a flight out of the country and they'd still be buying jpegs and waiting for the game until the end of time.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Crazy_BlackParrot posted:

quote:

Any of those assuming broken promise and/or missed deadline - and i take you as an example - just want to repeat the question how familiar are you with the concept of timeboxing which is a principle while using the method of agile software development?

I'll take a fair guess that not anyone knows about the consequences of agile software development in comparison to the classical waterfall method.

This makes my brain bleed outta my ears.

neonbregna
Aug 20, 2007

neonbregna
Aug 20, 2007

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Parias posted:

I actually did post it on Reddit but it got downvoted into oblivion within like ten seconds, no joke. It still got noticed by a few and eventually pulled into a positive score, but still dropped out of visibility pretty quickly compared to other threads going on at the time.

I was actually kinda even hoping an original project like this with a bunch of fresh content might even get noticed for the "MVP" thing CIG does, but no luck yet.

You are wasted on star citizen

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

canepazzo posted:

Any of those assuming broken promise and/or missed deadline - and i take you as an example - just want to repeat the question how familiar are you with the concept of timeboxing which is a principle while using the method of agile software development?

I'll take a fair guess that not anyone knows about the consequences of agile software development in comparison to the classical waterfall method.

So Agile that the project's second monthly iteration got pushed back a month.

Iglocska
Nov 23, 2015

canepazzo posted:

Someone read a wikipedia article on agile development and didn't understand anything - the best person to regurgitate random phrases to impress everyone!

pepito sanchez
Apr 3, 2004
I'm not mexican

canepazzo posted:

that fuckboy knows zero about software engineering, spewing words like agile and waterfall like he knows poo poo. CR uses the unique, new and in-development Garbage™ method of development.

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

I come with heretical knowledge! The sacred record of the fourth stimpire was foretold before being written by Zealot.
https://libraryofbabel.info/bookmark.cgi?ol.oxsc156

what madness is this?

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

Iglocska posted:

Someone read a wikipedia article on agile development and didn't understand anything - the best person to regurgitate random phrases to impress everyone!

Timeboxing means you spend all your time making a box look super high fidelity then Chris says redo it. I know all about game development :smug:

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

Berious posted:

what madness is this?

A repository of every possible combination of letters, spaces, commas and fullstops.

Iglocska posted:

Even funnier, I just read the wikipedia page on timeboxing and it's basically the opposite of what they're doing. Apparently if you're timeboxing you work to a specific deadline and vary your scope based on whether you think you'll be able to make it or not.

WhiskeyWhiskers fucked around with this message at 12:42 on Feb 20, 2016

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

A repository of every possible combination of letters, spaces, commas and fullstops.

Chris should employ people to compile bits of it until star citizen pops out. Better chance of making the game than whatever rear end backwards approach he's using atm.

Iglocska
Nov 23, 2015

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Even funnier, I just read the wikipedia page on timeboxing and it's basically the opposite of what they're doing. Apparently if you're timeboxing you work to a specific deadline and vary your scope based on whether you think you'll be able to make it or not.

Yup, timeboxing is basically saying, you will work on maeking this ship shoot bullitz, and we create a timebox for your task which is 10 days. You can either finish this task in less time (which is always cool), but if it takes you more than 10 days to get it polished then you still stop after 10 and we take it in whatever state that it's in.

This allows managers to have a fixed maximum time estimate for the project as you will never get bottlnecks on-top of the pre-calculated plan and their mangers won't be kicking their arses.

At least it's this in theory, in reality it's kinda hard to make a fun spesh ship gaem if you couldn't loving get the ship to shoot bullitz after 10 days and you move on to a different task.

Sticking 100% strictly to such development methodologies is (IMHO) retarded.

The only methodology worth anything is:
http://programming-motherfucker.com/

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

pepito sanchez posted:

that fuckboy knows zero about software engineering, spewing words like agile and waterfall like he knows poo poo. CR uses the unique, new and in-development Garbage™ method of development.
CIG use Zen development actually. Developing by not developing.

Remember, the perfect product is one that only exists in your customer's head!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Iglocska posted:

The sickening and heartbreaking thruths of the Agile stimpire.

• Locked thread