Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
If cards in demand are like bitcoin, then all these random specs are like the bazillions of altcoins that people made to try to be in on the ground floor of something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Terrible Horse posted:

One with Nothing is spiking lol

Reality Smasher can't make your discard a card if you don't have a hand. :smuggo:

Edit: And Thought-Knot is all upside if you discard your hand in response to the trigger! It's the perfect card, really.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Terrible Horse posted:

One with Nothing is spiking lol

it's a combo with tarmogoyf, jund is gonna be unbeatable

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Stupid madness specs go

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Stupid madness specs go

Merfolk Looter is up 6.25%!

one cent

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

It's funny how much better Breakthrough for 0 is than One With Nothing in pretty much any of the edge cases that would otherwise exist for its use.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

JerryLee posted:

It's funny how much better Breakthrough for 0 is than One With Nothing in pretty much any of the edge cases that would otherwise exist for its use.

Breakthrough is a sorcery, scrub

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Sigma-X posted:

Breakthrough is a sorcery, scrub

d-drat...

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

must've had an off day at the randomization section of the fat pack factory.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

JerryLee posted:

I would pay moneys to watch someone try to cast One With Nothing, attempting to target their opponent, at Competitive REL. You know it's happened at least once.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

meanolmrcloud posted:

I got the dragon. Fuc kyou!?

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Devor posted:

I would pay moneys to watch someone try to cast One With Nothing, attempting to target their opponent, at Competitive REL. You know it's happened at least once.

One With Nothing was at least talked about as a sideboard card in the run up to the post-Guildpact Pro Your, although I don't remember if anyone actually played it.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Elyv posted:

One With Nothing was at least talked about as a sideboard card in the run up to the post-Guildpact Pro Your, although I don't remember if anyone actually played it.

It was playable as sideboard tech against the Owling Mine that was running around the second tier at the time.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Everblight posted:

It was playable as sideboard tech against the Owling Mine that was running around the second tier at the time.

I mean, that deck actually put 2 copies in the top 8 of that PT even though it could literally never beat an aggro deck.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

meanolmrcloud posted:

That's a sight better than my lovely fat pack.

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA

Mr. Peepers posted:

We (I) need you at CSC, standard FNM didn't even fire last week.
Should've told us you were back! I'll be there for the PTQ tomorrow. Come play at Third Eye, lots of people and casual environment.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Errant Gin Monks posted:

That's a sight better than my lovely fat pack.

Mine had a Nissa and a foil Seer's Lantern and I thought that was pretty good.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Everblight posted:

It was a hail mary against that deck because nothing else in the SB seemed to help, so why the gently caress not?

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

You know, I keep asking myself, why does Scuttling Death seem better than it actually is? And then I remembered Kamigawa block was the time damage still went on the stack.

:suicide:

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Count Bleck posted:

You know, I keep asking myself, why does Scuttling Death seem better than it actually is? And then I remembered Kamigawa block was the time damage still went on the stack.

:suicide:

to be fair to it, it at least isn't fully obsoleted since you can do soulshift at instant speed with it, but yeah it's kind of a pointless ability in and of itself

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
Honestly, the rapidly increasing cost of the game is the reason I've all but quit playing, with a little help from LGS drama giving me the final push. I play on most Mondays nights with some of the dudes I've been playing with for years at one of our homes, usually legacy and a little modern with a mix of proxies and real cards, and the occasional draft (we have box of conspiracy the four of us plan to crack and draft the next two times we meet up). Standard, while interesting enough, is well beyond what I care to pay for a rotating format (I'm somewhat tempted to put modern under the same umbrella here), and the combination of a rapidly increasing player base and the #mtgfinance autists have made buying the cards I need to finish out legacy decks such a long-term prospect that it's just not worth it for as often as I need to actually have the cards for decks. Combine that with an often unpleasant player base and a design philosophy that's slowly drifting away from the styles of play that I personally enjoy (not that that's any big injustice, the game has just evolved), and I don't see the need to spend much money on MtG any more over spending it doing other things. As far as changing the game to make it more appealing, a lot of my suggestions would involve going back to the way things were when I first started playing in the 90's, so they're not worth seriously considering (except getting rid of mythic rares and the reserved list. gently caress those things).

Also, Toshimo is consistently the best poster in the thread.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

[Lottery of Babylon]
As much as I hate staying up until 2:47am everyday, nights like tonight are reassuring and prove that it's actually all worth it. 19 Blood Lust @ $2.5/ea and 30 Big Game Hunters @ $.4/ea. Just by staying up a few extra hours, I made over $300. This isn't a brag, it's a reminder to myself that what i'm doing is worth it.
[/Lottery of Babylon]

Congrats bro, you made a days' pay.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

suicidesteve posted:

[Lottery of Babylon]
As much as I hate staying up until 2:47am everyday, nights like tonight are reassuring and prove that it's actually all worth it. 19 Blood Lust @ $2.5/ea and 30 Big Game Hunters @ $.4/ea. Just by staying up a few extra hours, I made over $300. This isn't a brag, it's a reminder to myself that what i'm doing is worth it.
[/Lottery of Babylon]

Congrats bro, you made a days' pay.

Did he misname a card or is he actually speccing on this

The only reason I sort of knew what that was is because I flipped past it in a shoe box literally 16 years ago and it was mildly interesting.

Oldsrocket_27 posted:

Honestly, the rapidly increasing cost of the game is the reason I've all but quit playing, with a little help from LGS drama giving me the final push. I play on most Mondays nights with some of the dudes I've been playing with for years at one of our homes, usually legacy and a little modern with a mix of proxies and real cards, and the occasional draft (we have box of conspiracy the four of us plan to crack and draft the next two times we meet up). Standard, while interesting enough, is well beyond what I care to pay for a rotating format (I'm somewhat tempted to put modern under the same umbrella here), and the combination of a rapidly increasing player base and the #mtgfinance autists have made buying the cards I need to finish out legacy decks such a long-term prospect that it's just not worth it for as often as I need to actually have the cards for decks. Combine that with an often unpleasant player base and a design philosophy that's slowly drifting away from the styles of play that I personally enjoy (not that that's any big injustice, the game has just evolved), and I don't see the need to spend much money on MtG any more over spending it doing other things. As far as changing the game to make it more appealing, a lot of my suggestions would involve going back to the way things were when I first started playing in the 90's, so they're not worth seriously considering (except getting rid of mythic rares and the reserved list. gently caress those things).

Also, Toshimo is consistently the best poster in the thread.

I agree with most of this post but you have an odd way of spelling rabidsquid

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

JerryLee posted:

Did he misname a card or is he actually speccing on this

The only reason I sort of knew what that was is because I flipped past it in a shoe box literally 16 years ago and it was mildly interesting.

Nope, that's the card.

93/94 strikes again!

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

With Berserk you get a worse version of standard's Become Immense/Temur Battle Rage combo.

Admittedly I don't know what the power level of 93/94 is.

e: a piece of art from one of the leaked cards appears to have been confirmed as real. Lends even more credibility to them.
http://clintcearley.deviantart.com/art/Lamplighter-of-Selhoff-MTG-589542386
Note the :cthulhu: looking thing on the right.

Irony Be My Shield fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Feb 20, 2016

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Note that having :cthulhu: mouth-tentacles doesn't automatically denote extra-Innistrad horror. Cf. Skaab Ruinator.

That said, that's some dang nice art any way you slice it.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

JerryLee posted:

Note that having :cthulhu: mouth-tentacles doesn't automatically denote extra-Innistrad horror. Cf. Skaab Ruinator.

Original Innistrad block is set after RoE though. :tinfoil:

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

Oldsrocket_27 posted:

As far as changing the game to make it more appealing, a lot of my suggestions would involve going back to the way things were when I first started playing in the 90's, so they're not worth seriously considering (except getting rid of mythic rares and the reserved list. gently caress those things).

i think mythics were good when you could expect that maybe 1 or 2 were worth anything bc they were all a big dumb dragon for casuals

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

In regards to Blood Lust, I've always wondered why Anson Maddocks decided to draw Elektra feeling up a wall of inflamed flesh.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Elyv posted:

apparently "unique effect" isn't needed; thunder spirit is $60.

I used to joke in these threads about building a house out of all the Thunder Spirits I bought. I actually did buy like 30 of them as a joke. lmao.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

rabidsquid posted:

I used to joke in these threads about building a house out of all the Thunder Spirits I bought. I actually did buy like 30 of them as a joke. lmao.

Sell them fuckers, pay off a credit card.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

rabidsquid posted:

Well you still need to find someone to buy them.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

No I am going to use them as a foundation for the house itself

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Lightning Lord posted:

In regards to Blood Lust, I've always wondered why Anson Maddocks decided to draw Elektra feeling up a wall of inflamed flesh.

You literally described the art and title in that sentence, what is left to wonder?

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Everblight posted:

Could Exhaustion work in a Modern control deck or is it just too slow?

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

GoutPatrol posted:

Could Exhaustion work in a Modern control deck or is it just too slow?
The modern time warp deck plays it.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

meanolmrcloud posted:

i pulled 3 hissing quagmires 3 eldrazi mimics and 2 thought knot seers with my fat pack

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

Irony Be My Shield posted:

With Berserk you get a worse version of standard's Become Immense/Temur Battle Rage combo.

Admittedly I don't know what the power level of 93/94 is.

e: a piece of art from one of the leaked cards appears to have been confirmed as real. Lends even more credibility to them.
http://clintcearley.deviantart.com/art/Lamplighter-of-Selhoff-MTG-589542386
Note the :cthulhu: looking thing on the right.

pretty sure they were confirmed when one of them was in the duel deck

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

minoru suzuki posted:

i pulled 3 hissing quagmires 3 eldrazi mimics and 2 thought knot seers with my fat pack

Sounds like the fatpacks for Oath are :effort: made into a buyable product.

• Locked thread