Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

lol a 4gb 950

The 960 actually shows performance effects if it's a 2 GB version, so it'd make sense on the 950 as well.

On 4 GB the Fury series and 970 show stuttering in Tomb Raider that the 980Ti and 290 don't (different settings to get the effect on each tier of course), so the day of 4 GB as a midrange config is definitely here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

Twerk from Home posted:

I don't understand this, I've seen modern games running acceptably on a 1GB GTX 750, and 4GB seems to be fine for the current high-end. The Fury is somewhere between a 980 and 980 Ti with only 4GB of VRAM available.

It's an endless uphill argument that I used to breathe fire about but I've all but quit on the topic. I used to have tons of charts and graphs and the whole 9 yards. But yes, in general, the amount of reference ram for many years now has been very appropriate for the capability of the card with a few outliers. "Very appropriate" as in more more ram had zero improvement in any scenario where the fps was playable. In fact this last generation was the first major release of cards with a dumb amount of reference ram (390) - but that was done for reasons that had nothing to do with ram of course. The last cards I vaguely remember actually coming with too little ram were some 500 series cards.

I'm not going get pissed if I have too much ram but clamoring for extra ram for no reason just increases costs and affects the whole lineup, the performance per dollar, and ultimately the consumer. And even then aftermarket manufacturers just put out models with double the ram anyway if they feel there is any market for it at all.

The most valid case for more vram than necessary at launch are for things like, the longevity of the 690 and stuff like that.

The dumbest cases are things like a 4gb 950.

Now I'm not saying 4 GB isn't where we should be (soon), but ... trust me, people will still want more than they need for eternity.

DadWilly
Jul 1, 2003

Don't be me.

Don't buy poo poo DisplayPort cables. (couldn't even get to POST)

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3764458

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Twerk from Home posted:

I don't understand this, I've seen modern games running acceptably on a 1GB GTX 750, and 4GB seems to be fine for the current high-end. The Fury is somewhere between a 980 and 980 Ti with only 4GB of VRAM available.

All really depends on what someone considers "acceptable", it's subjective - one person might think 1680x1050 with no eye candy on at 30FPS is acceptable while another gamer won't accept anything under 1440p at 60FPS minimum with every quality option maxed out. Most of the lower end cards now are geared toward HTPC builds or people that want a discrete card that won't chew up a lot of power while being better than an integrated GPU. Besides, even most modern high-end games put the requirements, at minimum, well above what a low-end card can handle and usually recommend a mid-to-high range card to play games acceptably. Plus with GDDR5 and such having been out a while, I can't see much cost difference in doubling memory on a card to sort of "future proof" it for whatever comes down the line later.

Just my $.02 really :shobon:

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

xthetenth posted:

On 4 GB the Fury series and 970 show stuttering in Tomb Raider that the 980Ti and 290 don't (different settings to get the effect on each tier of course), so the day of 4 GB as a midrange config is definitely here.

Yeah AMD better not try to peddle a stingy 4GB card this summer for 350$, HBM or not. That Baffin leak makes me a bit nervous.
The whole point of all that bandwidth is to splurge it on stuff like AA/DSR without breaking out a calculator.
Same thing of course for Nvidia who are notoriously cheap with ram.

sauer kraut fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Feb 19, 2016

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!

sauer kraut posted:

Yeah AMD better not try to peddle a stingy 4GB card this summer for 350$, HBM or not. That Baffin leak makes me a bit nervous.
The whole point of all that bandwidth is to splurge it on stuff like AA/DSR without breaking out a calculator.
Same thing of course for Nvidia who are notoriously cheap with ram.

I wonder if there is some kludgy as hell way to get more than 4GB of HBM1. Is HBM1 limited to four stacks or could you do something dumb like 8 stacks (and watch your generational efficiency gains evaporate)?

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

xthetenth posted:

The 960 actually shows performance effects if it's a 2 GB version, so it'd make sense on the 950 as well.

I'm being sucked in again. I am out of date though, so is there a source for the stuttering? Also did you mean 390

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

I'm being sucked in again. I am out of date though, so is there a source for the stuttering? Also did you mean 390

No, it seems that the 970 is getting stuttering at a setting the 290 isn't, something something 3.5GB. Computerbase.de's review shows the Fury stuttering, and GeForce experience has a warning for 4GB cards not to use a setting that the 290 and I'm pretty sure the 980 are fine on.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!

xthetenth posted:

No, it seems that the 970 is getting stuttering at a setting the 290 isn't, something something 3.5GB. Computerbase.de's review shows the Fury stuttering, and GeForce experience has a warning for 4GB cards not to use a setting that the 290 and I'm pretty sure the 980 are fine on.

That's kind of weird for the Fury to stutter but the 290 to be fine.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

The Fury is ROP bottlenecked for the ridiculous amount of shader cores it has, Hawaii less so

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

xthetenth posted:

I couldn't find it, but were the results for 4k?

Durinia
Sep 26, 2014

The Mad Computer Scientist

FaustianQ posted:

I wonder if there is some kludgy as hell way to get more than 4GB of HBM1. Is HBM1 limited to four stacks or could you do something dumb like 8 stacks (and watch your generational efficiency gains evaporate)?

Only option is to go to 8 stacks, which is not easily packageable.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

Safetyland posted:

Don't be me.

Don't buy poo poo DisplayPort cables. (couldn't even get to POST)

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3764458

Can confirm.

I had a hardware issue last month with a new cable that would corrupt my BIOS settings, and would not boot up at all after BIOS was fixed.

Took me a while to figure out that it was the cable.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Odette posted:

Can confirm.

I had a hardware issue last month with a new cable that would corrupt my BIOS settings, and would not boot up at all after BIOS was fixed.

Took me a while to figure out that it was the cable.

I personally advocate for $100 monster cables. Because those are quality, right? :iamafag:

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

SlayVus posted:

I personally advocate for $100 monster cables. Because those are quality, right? :iamafag:

Monster cable are pleb-tier. I'm waiting for wireless cables that have dick plated leads.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Wait for a die shrink or buy a 980ti...arrrrrrgh. I gotta get rid of this lovely r9 270 but the waiting is killing me.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

got a ref 290 for $220 a couple months ago, "spending moderate amounts on significant upgrades every 2 years as opposed to getting the top tier card every 5 years" strategy turning out to work quite well :smugdog:

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

got a ref 290 for $220 a couple months ago, "spending moderate amounts on significant upgrades every 2 years as opposed to getting the top tier card every 5 years" strategy turning out to work quite well :smugdog:

why doesnt the read buy flagship cards every single year i have no idea

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
You really do get the most value buying the top tier card every year

Yolo right

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Don Lapre posted:

Yolo right

I'm using a card that was released like 3 years ago though.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Salt Fish posted:

I'm using a card that was released like 3 years ago though.

sunk cost fallacy

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

Said it before but a custom-cooled warrantied 290 for $180 was a hell of a deal

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Don Lapre posted:

Yolo right

Aggressive flipping of mid range cards, actually. Devaluation stings much less.

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

MY FAT WAIFU!!! :love:
She's fetish efficient :3:

Nap Ghost
I've a GPU power-connector conundrum I wouldn't mind advice on. I recently nabbed a 980ti to replace my aging 660ti, however I don't have power connector coverage I thought I did.

The old card accepts a pair of 6-pin connectors, whereas the new one accepts a pair of 8-pin connectors. My PSU has all 6-pin ports. I have a 2x6-pin to 8-pin adapter (came with the card), which takes care of one of the ports on the new card, but I don't have anything to take care of the second one.

Its the most maddening thing, but I just cannot find the anything simple that'll let me consildate 2 more of the PSU's 6-pin ports to an 8-pin connector. Be it a 6-pin to 8-pin male-to-male adapter, or two 6-pin male to male plus another 6-pin to 8-pin adapter.

Is this a big ask? Or do I need to suck it down and buy a newer PSU and rewire my PC? I'm kind of hoping I just can't see what I need for looking, and someone will toss me a couple of Amazon UK product URLs :ninja:

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
How old is the PSU? If it's no longer in warranty get an 80+ gold cert model with modular cables, and enough wattage from a quality manufacturer. They're not expensive compared to a 980 let alone a ti.

Just watch out for budget models that may catch fire or refuse to post because the "manufacturer" rebadged a no name brand or something. The PC parts picking thread will have more advice.

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

MY FAT WAIFU!!! :love:
She's fetish efficient :3:

Nap Ghost

Verizian posted:

How old is the PSU? If it's no longer in warranty get an 80+ gold cert model with modular cables, and enough wattage from a quality manufacturer. They're not expensive compared to a 980 let alone a ti.

Just watch out for budget models that may catch fire or refuse to post because the "manufacturer" rebadged a no name brand or something. The PC parts picking thread will have more advice.

Its about three years old (and 650w). Yeah, I should just replace it. It'll just be a chore, because the system is cable-tidied up to the nines, and I've not done this for a while (decided to buy from QuietPC rather than build myself). But better that than risk huffing an expensive card. Assuming I don't gently caress up the PSU replacement :haw:

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Don Lapre posted:

sunk cost fallacy

Doesn't really apply to GPUs I think.. I'm only starting to feel the need to upgrade my 780 in light of a new monitor (3440x1440), 3 years later. If I likely had my old monitor I'd probably not be getting the upgrade itch.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Don Lapre posted:

sunk cost fallacy

Sunk cost fallacy shouldn't really apply when there's friends/family with less desire to get spendy and a used market.

ultrabay2000
Jan 1, 2010

I'm looking for the cheapest GPU I can find that can run EVE on high settings in Wine in Linux. An esoteric requirement to be sure but I'm wondering if anyone has any ideas here.

So far the cheapest I've found is a R9 360 for around $100. I currently have a 6450 which doesn't get great FPS. Somewhere I have an old 5770 I am trying to dig up although I'm not sure if that's still well supported or not.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Sally Forth me if I'm wrong here but you're going to want an nvidia card if you're running limux.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Salt Fish posted:

Sally Forth me if I'm wrong here but you're going to want an nvidia card if you're running limux.

Nah, you're right, Nvidia way outperforms AMD on Linux. See here: http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=steamos-22-gpus&num=1

ultrabay2000
Jan 1, 2010

Ok yeah. It seemed from my recent experiences that AMD had some what better support but NVidia had better performance but it looks like Nvidia murders on performance.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

AMD has better support from open source drivers, so the out-of-the-box experience tends to be better, but NVs proprietary drivers crush everything else performance wise.

ultrabay2000
Jan 1, 2010

Yeah even the proprietary AMD drivers seemed to have better documented installers. I was hoping to stick with AMD because I like their Linux support which works fine for virtually everything else I do, but those numbers are hard to argue with.

For the most part, I play games on a different Windows computer which has a 760ti. The sole performance-purpose of this card on Linux will be to play EVE, so I'm looking at a 750 non-Ti.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
I ordered a 960 4GB instead of a 970 for my PC because I was right up against my budget with processor, RAM, and everything else on the build. My current monitor is a 1440*900 widescreen which should be fine for what I'm doing. I'm not going to be doing super HD gaming or competitive FPS stuff on this, it'll mostly be for streaming Hearthstone and maybe a couple other card/strategy games that aren't graphics blockbusters. Is this the worst $140 I ever saved or not?

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

skaboomizzy posted:

I ordered a 960 4GB instead of a 970 for my PC because I was right up against my budget with processor, RAM, and everything else on the build. My current monitor is a 1440*900 widescreen which should be fine for what I'm doing. I'm not going to be doing super HD gaming or competitive FPS stuff on this, it'll mostly be for streaming Hearthstone and maybe a couple other card/strategy games that aren't graphics blockbusters. Is this the worst $140 I ever saved or not?

At that resolution and usage I think a 960 is just fine. I'm running more demanding games at 2560 x 1080 and the 970 still feels like overkill. Not in a bad way :)

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
Good to know. This was a weird rig to build because of the specialized stuff I was planning on doing with it, so I went kinda big on the processor (Intel i7-6700) and 16GB of RAM. I'll probably get a more sensible monitor at some point this year, but nothing outlandish.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

And we're off!

Interesting to see if this triggers a flood of news releases from NVIDIA to hedge against being seen as behind.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Boo, beaten.

M460 is probably just a rebrand, nothing to see here, folks. (Let's see, M360 was Tonga, whose desktop counterpart was the R9 285, so the 460 should be a downclocked 380? Hawaii? Nah.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

For a 460 to be stuffed in a dinky chassis like that makes me optimistic.