Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

Macklin, you son of a bitch

VagueRant posted:

I dunno, if he never got the chance to do that poo poo as a kid or a teen, it sort of makes sense. I mean, that is the stuff you figure out by practice.

On the other hand, his whole "I will join the men in the bonding experience of smoking - with my pipe" suggests he maybe kept that up.

"...and when they talk about girls, I will join in - by telling them I am not interested in that sort of stuff" (that was a couple episodes ago)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Kelly posted:

"...and when they talk about girls, I will join in - by telling them I am not interested in that sort of stuff" (that was a couple episodes ago)
(Smokes his goon pipe)

Tormented
Jan 22, 2004

"And the goat shall bear upon itself all their iniquities unto a solitary place..."

FlamingLiberal posted:

(Smokes his goon pipe)

(tips his military cap, "M'Lady")

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
I enjoyed Bowe's plan of using his Russian language skills to become the Don of an Indian organized crime family

Pizza Segregationist
Jul 18, 2006

Man, hearing about the stashed weapons in the tea shop was pretty hilarious. Especially the detail that one of them was a medieval flail. I do feel for the guy though. He had a dumb plan and put people at risk but surely the 5 years as a taliban captive count for something

Tormented
Jan 22, 2004

"And the goat shall bear upon itself all their iniquities unto a solitary place..."

Pron on VHS posted:

I enjoyed Bowe's plan of using his Russian language skills to become the Don of an Indian organized crime family

Russian run Indian organized crime family :spergin:

I liked how he wanted to be a protector kung-fu samurai warrior fighting for his country under a holy cause but also wanted to be a badass hit-man mercenary going around killing people for money while working his way to be Don of a Russian crime family.

He could have been at least constant with his internal man child fantasies.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Bowe Bergdahl owns

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Yeah this was a great episode. It all makes sense now.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
For somebody who was homeschooled in the backwoods of Idaho he probably ended up comparatively normal.

I wonder if all his various weirdness actually helped in stay sane throughout his captivity.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
I'm just fascinated by how he apparently did very well in basic training (then went on in the goddamn infantry)...Yet he was, what? Three weeks into coastguard training when he had a psychotic break?

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014
How the hell did that guy make sergeant?

ploots
Mar 19, 2010
Automatic promotions while he was captured, I think. One of the other soldiers complained about it in one of the earlier episodes.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

VagueRant posted:

I'm just fascinated by how he apparently did very well in basic training (then went on in the goddamn infantry)...Yet he was, what? Three weeks into coastguard training when he had a psychotic break?

in the coast guard, he couldn't soothe his spergy ego by saying he was going to be Chuck Norris Delta Force Super Ninja Samurai Kung Fu Badass. That's how he got through basic in the army, promising himself he was gonna be a kung fu soldier warrior badass and use flails and nunchucks and kill all the terrorists who would be easy to tell apart from the civilians by their evil stares.

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

Macklin, you son of a bitch
My husband looked into joining both the Navy and Coast Guard after college, he would have gone in via officer training school. We were engaged and so I remember being fairly involved, and the Coast Guard is so different than the rest of the armed forces that it seems weird to think of the Coast Guard in the same vein as the Navy.

It's almost not like being in the armed forces...almost more law enforcement based. This was awhile ago (2002) so maybe that's changed.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

I actually groaned when they mentioned that Berghdal was sending emails titled, "Who is John Galt?"

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

weapons hiding, samurai delusions, quoting john galt. welp, it's been fun, thread

---------------------------8<----------------------------

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Gargamel Gibson posted:

How the hell did that guy make sergeant?

Automatic promotion during his 5 years of captivity. Don't read too much into it.

SporkOfTruth
Sep 1, 2006

this kid walked up to me and was like man schmitty your stache is ghetto and I was like whatever man your 3b look like a dishrag.

he was like damn.
Koenig getting owned by the documentary producer was also loving amazing. She's such a credulous rear end, all too willing to go "OH HE'S JUST A SPECIAL INCORRUPTIBLE SNOWFLAKE" the second she found out he had a diagnosis. What an absolute embarrassment.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
For me the story isn't "why did Bergdahl do xyz?", it's "how on earth was he allowed to enlist?"

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

SporkOfTruth posted:

Koenig getting owned by the documentary producer was also loving amazing. She's such a credulous rear end, all too willing to go "OH HE'S JUST A SPECIAL INCORRUPTIBLE SNOWFLAKE" the second she found out he had a diagnosis. What an absolute embarrassment.

i wouldn't characterize her that way but i liked that he called her out. imo she comes across in that exchange as the kind of person who mentally puts people with disabilities into a kind of sanitized container, like "oh you're so precious and it must be so hard" and like c'mon, you can talk about bowe without making him into some kind of victim while at the same time not damning him completely. it's not one or the other. he's allowed to be a full person despite a personality disorder diagnosis

e:

yeah i also think the army hosed up big time in not checking him out more, or like if they could have given him a post where it would be a lot harder for him to do something like this. all the media attention seems to be focused on "omg....he walked off!!" but there seems to be less talk about holding accountable the many people who allowed him to get into that position in the first place

Lutha Mahtin fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Feb 21, 2016

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

The Army let in a lot of mentally unstable people as well as had a problem with white supremacists getting in during the worst parts of the Iraq war. I know there have been stories done about how white supremacist groups have infiltrated the Army in certain places. I have no idea if this is still prevalent or not but a few years back it came out that this had happened in some units.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Hahaha who is John galt

That one small little detail that when putting everything into perspective, everything now makes sense

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
Bergdahl's fellow soldiers sound so dumb when they talk about how him trying to learn Pashto was suspicious.

Kings Of Calabria
Sep 10, 2013
I'm sure there's some brown people moonspeak = bad going on, but those dudes clearly had no idea wtf happened and were desperate to figure it out. I can't fault them for looking back and wondering why spergdahl was trying to learn to speak the language of the people they thought he voluntarily deserted the army for.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Kings Of Calabria posted:

I'm sure there's some brown people moonspeak = bad going on, but those dudes clearly had no idea wtf happened and were desperate to figure it out. I can't fault them for looking back and wondering why spergdahl was trying to learn to speak the language of the people they thought he voluntarily deserted the army for.

this was literally their stated mission, to make friends with the locals. the fact that they weren't trained properly for it and a significant number of units didn't give a poo poo about this aspect of it doesn't make the whole "durr he learn terrorist language, he bad" thing any less stupid. if you're going to give them a pass on this, at least do it in a way that makes sense

Kings Of Calabria
Sep 10, 2013

Lutha Mahtin posted:

this was literally their stated mission, to make friends with the locals. the fact that they weren't trained properly for it and a significant number of units didn't give a poo poo about this aspect of it doesn't make the whole "durr he learn terrorist language, he bad" thing any less stupid. if you're going to give them a pass on this, at least do it in a way that makes sense

I'm not saying that they're right or have a legitimate concern, but really the last two episodes made him leaving sound very confusing and mysterious for the ones he left behind. Yeah some of them guys sound super bro-ey but I just don't see why they shouldn't consider that when wondering what happened. Yeah they're army goobers but they know that the only possible contact off-base is with Pashto speakers, and trying to connect the dots using that fact doesn't make them stupid.

Kings Of Calabria fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Feb 23, 2016

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

Kings Of Calabria posted:

I'm not saying that they're right or have a legitimate concern, but really the last two episodes made him leaving sound very confusing and mysterious for the ones he left behind. Yeah some of them guys sound super bro-ey but I just don't see why they shouldn't consider that when wondering what happened. Yeah they're army goobers but they know that the only possible contact off-base is with Pashto speakers, and trying to connect the dots using that fact doesn't make them stupid.

You're not wrong, but many goons see the world in a kind of a bizarre way and can't understand this, its concrete thinking

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Has anyone discovered Bergdahl's forums account yet

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
It sounded to me that they thought he was odd for trying to learn Pashto before he walked off. It clearly fed into their opinion of him after he was captured, and added fuel to their belief that he was a traitor but they clearly thought it was weird thing to do period.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
It was unusual. It was not a thing that happened often. The fact that it was done by a guy who wandered off base mysteriously - yeah, you're going to connect those dots with him acting unlike other soldiers.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
It seems Aspergers shields your brain from the suffering of imprisonment and torture, kinda like how having sickle-cell anemia prevents you from getting malaria

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Pron on VHS posted:

It seems Aspergers shields your brain from the suffering of imprisonment and torture, kinda like how having sickle-cell anemia prevents you from getting malaria

He probably had all the solitude and silence he needed to figure out exactly which one of the trains on Thomas the Tank Engine is his favorite.

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

I like these episodes

Dilbert Fanclub President
Oct 21, 2015

by Reene
Yeah this episode was fascinating. My coworker and I were kinda left speechless after. There's nothing to really say, the whole thing is such a mess.

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

Good episode. Really glad they didn't just pick up another criminal case and try the same formula.

She mentioned a little about Richard Holbrooke and the work he was doing with diplomacy. If that struck you as even the least bit interesting, I highly recommend checking out the film his son made about him, The Diplomat. The man was really amazing. His ability to get into a situation, and begin working towards a resolution was quite admirable.

also:
Mutual release.... *ahem*

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
This episode all I could think of is how during the Bush administration Republicans were mute about him committing war crimes on the reg and handing out high-profile positions in Iraq to his supporters despite their complete lack of qualifications but Obama rubberstamping a top secret rescue mission without letting them in on it makes them pitch such a hissyfit that they're going out of their way to block legislation that even Dubya supported.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Sleeveless posted:

This episode all I could think of is how during the Bush administration Republicans were mute about him committing war crimes on the reg and handing out high-profile positions in Iraq to his supporters despite their complete lack of qualifications but Obama rubberstamping a top secret rescue mission without letting them in on it makes them pitch such a hissyfit that they're going out of their way to block legislation that even Dubya supported.

But you don't understand.

Obama baaaaaaad.

EndOfTheWorld
Jul 22, 2004

I'm an excellent critic! I automatically know when someone's done a bad job. Before you ask, yes it's a mixed blessing.
Cybernetic Crumb

Sleeveless posted:

You don't understand, man! He kept us safe*

*More or less. And obviously any blowback that happens as a result of the Iraq/Afghanistan campaigns is TOTALLY someone else's fault

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut
I really liked this episode. For the first time, I heard some legitimate complaints about the way the Obama administration handled the situation. Saying Bowe served with "honor and distinction" is pretty tone-deaf, and misleading Congress is not a good thing. Granted, I don't trust this Congress not to gently caress it up, so maybe it was the right thing to do, but I objected when Bush lied to Congress. Bush lied to start a war, while Obama lied/deceived to get a POW back, but it's still ethically tricky at best.

Question for those who are paying attention closer than I: Several times, there was reference to a "rescue mission" to free Bowe, but I thought it was a mutual trade? Were they referring to a back-up plan, like they had a helicopter on stand-by in case the deal fell through?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Jurgan posted:

Question for those who are paying attention closer than I: Several times, there was reference to a "rescue mission" to free Bowe, but I thought it was a mutual trade? Were they referring to a back-up plan, like they had a helicopter on stand-by in case the deal fell through?

I haven't gotten the impression that there was any other plan. I think Koenig would have made it very clear if she was aware of a contingency plan.

• Locked thread