Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Safety Scissors
Feb 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Also, I did the second Bihano water purification plant quest this morning.

This game can be really hosed up sometimes. Seriously.

There's a actually a few decent quests in this game, but they're all hidden by a huge number of bad quests and the terrible story. They should have just not had a story and had like a level 99 telethia, gnosis, chimera, mech, and a xenoform as super bosses. Each continent would just be exploring until you reach the super boss. Once you would have beaten it, you would find out more about the planet and what it's mysterious effects.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I would have been completely down with that.

Mea Tulpa
Sep 4, 2006

Yeah, for a game that's not supposed to be about story this game has too much story. I care more about where the ruins in Oblivia and Cauldros came from than the characters. And also who the Nopon were selling their stuff to before the game started.

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

Silver Falcon posted:

1) I think you can only sell stuff you don't have equipped.

2) Yeah, pretty much. Keep any armor you want to wear as fashion gear, though. Casual wear usually looks nice and I don't think you can buy it. Keep that stuff around to play dress-up with. You get a bunch of them from quests.

3) Yep. No draw-back to this at all. Then you can chance your fashion gear so you don't look like you got in a fight with a costume trunk and lost.

4) Galactic Knight has the only healing arts worth a drat and uses Lightsabers. Dual Guns classes have some fun skills that are essential for keeping your rear end alive. Longswords are basically katanas, if you're into that, and the best Longsword art is Blossom Dance- Dunban's signature technique. If you reach level 10 in any of the far right classes, you master their weapons and can equip them in any class.

Just wanted to say this helped a lot, I appreciate it!

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
What division should I choose? Does it matter?

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

The one you like. And no.

Safety Scissors
Feb 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pathfinders, you get healing. Healing is OP.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I'm sad I burned out on this game after getting four lvl. 50 skells. I really should get around to beating it but I turn it on, see that I'm still missing one requirement to start chapter 11 and just shut it off again
This never happened with Xenoblade Chronicles and I did tons of quests on that.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Safety Scissors posted:

Pathfinders, you get healing. Healing is OP.

I just went for the melee boost one. I like grinding against mobs anyways

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

I stopped playing for about a week since stuff came up. Have they actually balanced Division rankings in the meantime? Last I played Mediators were far and away good, came back to Interceptors.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
In the cave full of Cantors located under oblivia and near the huge rear end millepde if you go all the way to the back there's a smaller cantor. Next to the small cantor is a tiny human shaped doll on the ground.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

I've been there but haven't seen the small Cantor nor the doll. Good to see that place has some function considering how well hidden it is.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Ometeotl posted:

I've been there but haven't seen the small Cantor nor the doll. Good to see that place has some function considering how well hidden it is.

It's function is to murder cantors so you can collect their parts enmasse by shooting them with missiles that break their bones.

Cantor parts are used in many upgrades.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Wait I forgot, how do the division bonuses work again? I'm a curator.

Edit: wtf I did Frye's recruitment mission but when I talk to him he won't join my party. Is it because I have Phog in my party?

Blackbelt Bobman fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Feb 17, 2016

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Jesus game, I just did Hope's second affinity quest. More hosed up stuff. I'm really looking forward to that ice cream mission people were talking about earlier!

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Edit: wtf I did Frye's recruitment mission but when I talk to him he won't join my party. Is it because I have Phog in my party?

Yes, and if Frye's with you Phog will act even more airheadded.

e: speaking of that, it really hurts the... nonexistant illusion of their being brothers when every other win clip or dying clip refers to one or the other.

FeyerbrandX fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Feb 18, 2016

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

FeyerbrandX posted:

Yes, and if Frye's with you Phog will act even more airheadded.

e: speaking of that, it really hurts the... nonexistant illusion of their being brothers when every other win clip or dying clip refers to one or the other.

I assume that eventually an affinity mission overcomes this? Otherwise that's super dumb.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

I assume that eventually an affinity mission overcomes this? Otherwise that's super dumb.

Blitzkrieg, when you get it.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

You know after the recruitment quests I never even found Phog/Frye in NLA. They seem so totally inconsequential. It's like they don't even exist outside of their first mission.

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.
So I got this game when it came out, and proceeded to sit on it until after I beat the first game. I finished that one last week and immediately jumped into X, and it's loving awsome! I do have some questions though.

Is it possible to gain affinity by just running around, killing poo poo and leveling up, or does it have to be by doing missions? I finished chapter 3, did lin and emla's first affinity missions at level 15ish and they're at 1.5 hearts now. I spent hours upon hours running around with irma, doug and that other dude who hangs with irma. I did a lot of exploring and stupid poo poo, and basically spent about 3x the amount of time with them than with the main 2 girls, and they're only noe at 1 heart. Can I speed it up or should I be doing more heavy of a mission grind than I've been?

I've not been leveling any of my own characters skills and arts as I've been undecided in what weapons I'd like to be using in the end. I jumped into every weapon set save the gattling gunner class which is next, just to try it all out. After accidently finding out that you can level skills I've decided that instead of worrying about what arts and weapons I want to invest in, I'd rather take a look at what skills would be great to use across different classes. Like I heard masterminds have a 50% secondary cooldown reduction skill, and that sounds loving sweet. What kind of skills would you guys recommend, or are there any skills that sound cool but are super poo poo?

Thankfully I've realized I need to progress in the story until I unlock some more manufacturers and skells, so I'm gonna do that first. I got to say, the sniper lance class kinda is complete poo poo until you unlock the first rank of its advanced class. Those extra 2 skills you get from that really make it feel more combo-y.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

Sprite141 posted:

Is it possible to gain affinity by just running around, killing poo poo and leveling up, or does it have to be by doing missions? I finished chapter 3, did lin and emla's first affinity missions at level 15ish and they're at 1.5 hearts now. I spent hours upon hours running around with irma, doug and that other dude who hangs with irma. I did a lot of exploring and stupid poo poo, and basically spent about 3x the amount of time with them than with the main 2 girls, and they're only noe at 1 heart. Can I speed it up or should I be doing more heavy of a mission grind than I've been?

Affinity can be increased by responding to that character's soul voices, but doing missions and dialogue options is much more efficient.

Sordas Volantyr
Jan 11, 2015

Now, everybody, walk like a Jekhar.

(God, these running animations are terrible.)

Sprite141 posted:

Yeah, you get affinity by just killing poo poo. Stick with 3 characters for long enough, and they'll hit max affinity before you know it.

As some extra advice, do you have Lao yet? Do his affinity missions as soon as possible, in particular, the ones that give you his two unique arts, Balance Breaker and Afterburner. That's all I'll say about that.

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.
Yra

Sordas Volantyr posted:

Yeah, you get affinity by just killing poo poo. Stick with 3 characters for long enough, and they'll hit max affinity before you know it.

As some extra advice, do you have Lao yet? Do his affinity missions as soon as possible, in particular, the ones that give you his two unique arts, Balance Breaker and Afterburner. That's all I'll say about that.

Yeah I just got him. I was already spoiled on him, to an extent, by some lovely gamefaqs post or something while looking up character builds for the other characters. Which sucks.

Anyway, how is the multiplayer in this game? I've been doing the single player squad for the conquest poo poo, as I didn't want to waste possible affinity time with these characters considering we get so many of them. Since then I've seen some poo poo in game about squad missions, nightmare bosses and other cool stuff. What is the deal?

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I finally found the ice cream cake mission. Too bad the cave at the end is super difficult and I can't bring my Skell in. When I try to engage the enemies required to finish the quest, a bunch of other rear end in a top hat enemies join in and make it impossible. I tried to draw them out individually but to no avail. Oh well, I'll finish it later.

My biggest complaint for this game is definitely there being too many characters and how annoying it is to switch them up. My main character is lv 35 and everyone else is between 16-29. It's stupid! I wanna do all the affinity missions drat it!!!

Edit: can I buy more Skell insurance? Also, how does one use those consumable items that restore fuel/TP? The division reward ones?

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

Sprite141 posted:

I've not been leveling any of my own characters skills and arts as I've been undecided in what weapons I'd like to be using in the end.

You should be fine going up to level 3 in any art or skill you're currently using, you'll have enough BP to go around so long as you aren't completely ignoring treasures or something. The last couple levels are where the cost really starts going up, especially the last one. If there's one thing I'd like to have been told before I started playing (well, aside from "here's a list of where all the party members hang out"), it'd be not to bother maxing any art or skill until you've decided what your endgame build is going to be.

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Edit: can I buy more Skell insurance? Also, how does one use those consumable items that restore fuel/TP? The division reward ones?

No, so when a skell reaches 1 insurance left you should hand it off to a party member and buy a new one. If your skell's already hit 0 then trash it, it's worthless. Even if you give it to a party member you'll still have to pay repair fees every time it gets wrecked.

To use those items, press start during combat to bring up the combat menu, and hit X to cycle through pages until you find them.

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.

Suaimhneas posted:

You should be fine going up to level 3 in any art or skill you're currently using, you'll have enough BP to go around so long as you aren't completely ignoring treasures or something. The last couple levels are where the cost really starts going up, especially the last one. If there's one thing I'd like to have been told before I started playing (well, aside from "here's a list of where all the party members hang out"), it'd be not to bother maxing any art or skill until you've decided what your endgame build is going to be.

Ah. Well I'll spend a few bp to upgrade a couple things. Elma and lin are super weak compared to me now, and yeah it's a pain in the rear end. But what about the skills? I can use those despite what weapon I have. Is there a make or break skill I should be gunning for? The gunner samurai dude's auto attack damage buff seems pretty sweet. And so does the mastermind's secondary cooldown decrease.

vaguely
Apr 29, 2013

hot_squirting_honey.gif

Sprite141 posted:

Ah. Well I'll spend a few bp to upgrade a couple things. Elma and lin are super weak compared to me now, and yeah it's a pain in the rear end. But what about the skills? I can use those despite what weapon I have. Is there a make or break skill I should be gunning for? The gunner samurai dude's auto attack damage buff seems pretty sweet. And so does the mastermind's secondary cooldown decrease.
secondary cooldown decrease is incredible, Galactic Knight's synchrony is worth getting eventually since it's the only skill worth a drat that affects your skell, Duelist's yamato spirit is also pretty good (builds TP every time you use a melee art)

Mea Tulpa
Sep 4, 2006

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

I finally found the ice cream cake mission. Too bad the cave at the end is super difficult and I can't bring my Skell in. When I try to engage the enemies required to finish the quest, a bunch of other rear end in a top hat enemies join in and make it impossible. I tried to draw them out individually but to no avail. Oh well, I'll finish it later.

My biggest complaint for this game is definitely there being too many characters and how annoying it is to switch them up. My main character is lv 35 and everyone else is between 16-29. It's stupid! I wanna do all the affinity missions drat it!!!

Pick a team you like and stick with it for now. In the postgame there are repeatable missions that raise affinity quickly. You can't start many of the 4-heart affinity missions until late in the game anyhow.

If you're out of insurance, salvage tickets from division rewards do the same thing. For consumables, bring up the in-battle menu with + and then cycle though menus with X. It's unintuitive.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Suaimhneas posted:

No, so when a skell reaches 1 insurance left you should hand it off to a party member and buy a new one. If your skell's already hit 0 then trash it, it's worthless. Even if you give it to a party member you'll still have to pay repair fees every time it gets wrecked.

To use those items, press start during combat to bring up the combat menu, and hit X to cycle through pages until you find them.

I just reload it if my Skell dies. It's cheaper! Unless it was a particularly hard quest, like the chapter 10 bollocks.

AnotherGamer
Jan 12, 2007
Please change my name to "The Guff Machine"
Just spend all your BP on whatever class you want, you can get as much as you want once you beat the game by doing support missions.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

The EXP up augments are the best. I have every character over lv 30 and most of them have 1-2 hearts of affinity. Gonna do all the drat Affinity quests. ALL OF THEM!!

By the way, I dunno how but I got this G-Buster Skell sword that has like 60k attack and is insanely good. Was that a mission prize or was I just lucky? It's making it much easier to chump harder enemies. If I have four lv 30 Skells, how strong should the enemies I engage be? I've been sticking to lv 35-40 max. I dunno how ambitious I should get. The bigger enemies like Falsaxams have so much loving hp that even at lv 30 they take forever, but little guys are easy. Also trying to bring a Skell into Sylvalum is funny but also stressful.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
Started this game a week or so ago and it's pretty cool but one of the most opaque games I ever played. I think I'm starting to get the hang of the structure now and maybe I'll start figuring out what those defense icons in status correlate to now.

How much party switching are you actually supposed to do? Right now, doing the affinity missions available seems like an essential part of the game to keep my exp/character levels up, but looking further on there's many that have multi heart requirements in characters I barely use. Especially since so many missions require Elma and Lin, my Elma, Lin + Doug team can kill things like 5-8 levels above them, but the rest of my team is mostly chumps. I was switching L into the group in town when I was turning in quests and it seems like that might be a good way to get some affinity up without actually using the guy.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
You don't really need to build everyone else up, the storyline missions all require Elma and Lin, but beyond that you only need Lao and Gwin at 1 heart to do the main story, so you can add whoever you want as a 4th.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

By the way, I dunno how but I got this G-Buster Skell sword that has like 60k attack and is insanely good. Was that a mission prize or was I just lucky? It's making it much easier to chump harder enemies. If I have four lv 30 Skells, how strong should the enemies I engage be? I've been sticking to lv 35-40 max. I dunno how ambitious I should get. The bigger enemies like Falsaxams have so much loving hp that even at lv 30 they take forever, but little guys are easy. Also trying to bring a Skell into Sylvalum is funny but also stressful.

You got lucky. Congrats on getting one of the few Skell weapons that actually matter. The Scythe, G-Buster, and Phoenix weapons are basically the only really good Skell weapons until you hit the postgame mega-grind. When you get level 50 Skells you'll probably want level 50 versions of those weapons (the scythe comes preloaded in one of the heavy mechs, I forget which). If you have a Drone weapon, those aren't bad either.

There are two things you'll want if you plan on punching above your weight in Skells. First, you'll want accuracy augments, because without them you'll be missing most of your attacks. You can't afford to have G-Buster miss. The other thing you'll want are damage boosting augments, specifically the Slayer augments that boost damage against a particular monster type, like Insectoid, Humanoid, Ultrafauna, etc. They stack, so if you've got 5 Insectoid Slayer XX augments on, your G-Buster will be dealing 200% extra damage per hit to all insect enemies. Thankfully, these augments are generally pretty easy to craft. Most of the materials are common drops, and if you don't feel like grinding those you can buy them with tickets.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

One of the skell types comes with the G-Buster. If not that, then it could've been a drop from a mechanical enemy.

There are a few ways to do lots of damage to things higher level than you. The most important one is augments to increase your accuracy, since you have a higher chance to miss enemies higher level than you. After that, slayer augments for whatever type of creature is, and augments that give damage bonuses when you're above the enemy, or to the side etc. If you have a weapon that does a lot of damage like the G-Buster, you can put augments in it that increase the damage of that specific weapon. Or you can get skell armour that boosts a particular damage type.

If you have all that, whether or not you can kill something high level comes down to how much damage it does to you, and this varies between different types of enemy. You might run into a level 50 that you can kill easily with one level 30 skell and the rest of your guys on foot, while another might be level 40 and destroy a full set of 30 skells. If this is happening it might be because it has a big attack that does a type of damage your skell has low resistance to, or it might be an attack that does heavy damage to skells specifically, maybe it reflects the damage type your weapons use and you just killed yourself on it (you can get augments to prevent this, or just use different weapons), or maybe that type of enemy just does fucktons of damage and you need to have stronger skells to face it.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Suaimhneas posted:

One of the skell types comes with the G-Buster. If not that, then it could've been a drop from a mechanical enemy.

There are a few ways to do lots of damage to things higher level than you. The most important one is augments to increase your accuracy, since you have a higher chance to miss enemies higher level than you. After that, slayer augments for whatever type of creature is, and augments that give damage bonuses when you're above the enemy, or to the side etc. If you have a weapon that does a lot of damage like the G-Buster, you can put augments in it that increase the damage of that specific weapon. Or you can get skell armour that boosts a particular damage type.

If you have all that, whether or not you can kill something high level comes down to how much damage it does to you, and this varies between different types of enemy. You might run into a level 50 that you can kill easily with one level 30 skell and the rest of your guys on foot, while another might be level 40 and destroy a full set of 30 skells. If this is happening it might be because it has a big attack that does a type of damage your skell has low resistance to, or it might be an attack that does heavy damage to skells specifically, maybe it reflects the damage type your weapons use and you just killed yourself on it (you can get augments to prevent this, or just use different weapons), or maybe that type of enemy just does fucktons of damage and you need to have stronger skells to face it.

Yeah I intentionally gave my different Skells different types of armor and weapons so I wouldn't run into a situation where an enemy resists all my weapons or has an element that all my guys are weak to. I'm definitely going to make accuracy augments, since having physical attacks miss is awful when they have 40-60 second cool downs. Plus, having the machine guns miss half their shots kind of defeats the purpose. By the way, I'm assuming accuracy is lower at night like in Xenoblade Chronicles, yeah?

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

I think I've seen night vision augments that increase accuracy at night, so probably? I can't say I ever noticed any difference, but I did load up on accuracy augs early on.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice
Just started, so please be gentle:

They turned me loose to do whatever I pleased, so I did some running around planting probes (I chose Pathfinder), and the next plot mission requires me to survey 15% of Primordia. I'm at ~12% and can't reach lots of the remaining survey points (they're up high, seemingly saying "haha sucker come back when you get a robot that can fly") and/or don't have the mechanical skill necessary to place them.

Do I just keep running around for now murdering poo poo and exploring Primordia until my rank goes up and I can place the higher-level ones, or are there paths to the high areas that I'm missing?

Where do I get more probes? I can't find anyone that sells them. I sure as hell can find a shop that will sell me goddamn skimpy-rear end bikinis, so I'm assuming there has to be someplace to buy such an important item.

Also, I just found a path to the east of NLA to what looks like a whole new area (sunny desert region). Will I get stomped if I go wander around over there?

I'm really having trouble figuring out exactly what the game wants me to do at this point. I tried some of the "go kill this guy" missions on the main board but got knocked into next week, even on the one star ones. I'm assuming "just go level up lol" is the answer to this one, too?

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

They turned me loose to do whatever I pleased, so I did some running around planting probes (I chose Pathfinder), and the next plot mission requires me to survey 15% of Primordia. I'm at ~12% and can't reach lots of the remaining survey points (they're up high, seemingly saying "haha sucker come back when you get a robot that can fly") and/or don't have the mechanical skill necessary to place them.

Do I just keep running around for now murdering poo poo and exploring Primordia until my rank goes up and I can place the higher-level ones, or are there paths to the high areas that I'm missing?

Where do I get more probes? I can't find anyone that sells them. I sure as hell can find a shop that will sell me goddamn skimpy-rear end bikinis, so I'm assuming there has to be someplace to buy such an important item.

Also, I just found a path to the east of NLA to what looks like a whole new area (sunny desert region). Will I get stomped if I go wander around over there?

I'm really having trouble figuring out exactly what the game wants me to do at this point. I tried some of the "go kill this guy" missions on the main board but got knocked into next week, even on the one star ones. I'm assuming "just go level up lol" is the answer to this one, too?

In order:

Survey % can also be increased by doing the icon located on segments that aren't just where you plant probes. Try finding ones that are locating a treasure (sparkly icon) or defeating a Tyrant (monster icon) to increase the percent.

The only way to get more probes is from continuing the story or from opening treasure chests on the field. Also, from doing certain sidequests, like ones that involve Kirsty who taught you how to modify probes in the first place.

Feel free to wander in new areas. The enemies might be tough, but there will likely be areas where you can match their level. This game encourages exploration, and sneaking past high level enemies to get treasure or probe spots is just one of those features.

Don't worry too much about the difficulty of the missions. If you can't do it yet, you can't do it yet. There certainly should be things you can do early on, though. Try looking for sidequests from NPCs rather than the mission board, those will definitely be up your alley. They're easy to spot by the exclamation points on your mini-map. Check out all the various districts as well.

Good luck!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

To get more % do things related to the hex. Open Treasure, kill Tyrants, do missions, ect.

To get probes you open mechanical debris (skells, vehicles, white whale debris). That and planting probes is why you invest your early Blade levels in Mech.

You can also gently caress off to Oblivia (desert) or Noctilum (the forest on the other end of Primordia) if you like, but they tend to be higher leveled.

Just keep exploring, killing weak enemies, and upgrading your arts, you'll get strong eventually. Also, if you hit level 10 in Drifter (the starting class) you can switch to another one, which can make you much better.

• Locked thread