Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DaRealAce
Dec 27, 2004
Touch It.. No I dont want to... TOUCH IT!

Preheated Toast posted:

My standard for flavoring my 40 oz bottle is 3 packets of True Lemon. Their lime flavor is good, too. And then sweeten it with a teeny bit of pure sucralose. And by teeny I mean teeny, I got some little measuring spoons and I use the 1/64 tsp one and it's more than sweet enough. If you buy everything in bulk like that it'll cost you like 10 cents per bottle.

Grabbed the 4 flavor combo pack - hope they are good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Is there a standing desk setup that won't ruin my bank account, or should I just bring some old textbooks from home and stack everything up on those? I really hate sitting at my desk at worm but every time I think about getting a standing desk they're always so expensive :(

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

If you're feeling handy, Popular Mechanics had one as the monthly project a couple months ago.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/home/how-to-plans/how-to/g2184/how-to-build-a-stand-up-desk/

AFewBricksShy has a new favorite as of 16:49 on Feb 9, 2016

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
What is your budget? I was able to cludge a nice workstation together from Ikea for sub $100 - go there and check out the table legs, then grab a surface or two.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Horse Clocks posted:

My wife gets me to get her the latest from the Braun EpilSilk range every few years.

A bit expensive, but I did just get a new job so I guess I can afford to treat myself. Thanks.

e: on an unrelated note, holy poo poo these chips are good. They taste like Funyuns except way more flavorful.

Wanamingo has a new favorite as of 08:33 on Feb 10, 2016

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Gyshall posted:

What is your budget? I was able to cludge a nice workstation together from Ikea for sub $100 - go there and check out the table legs, then grab a surface or two.

$100 and cobbled together from IKEA stuff is doable, what's your setup? My only issue is having two monitors but I thry can elevate on their own to an extent.

turbomoose
Nov 29, 2008
Playing the banjo can be a relaxing activity and create lifelong friendships!
\
:backtowork:

C-Euro posted:

Is there a standing desk setup that won't ruin my bank account, or should I just bring some old textbooks from home and stack everything up on those? I really hate sitting at my desk at worm but every time I think about getting a standing desk they're always so expensive :(

If you don't have 2 monitors this thing is the cheapest you'll get. I can't speak to the quality but for $25 who cares.

http://oristand.co/

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

C-Euro posted:

$100 and cobbled together from IKEA stuff is doable, what's your setup? My only issue is having two monitors but I thry can elevate on their own to an extent.

literally telescopic extended legs + a table top from Ikea.

I do use wall brackets to stabilize the whole thing, just FYI.

I also have a shelf unit I put on IKEA legs to raise my monitor up. When I move I'll be getting a similar thing, but from Home Depot and with a monitor arm instead.

If you go to Ikea you can probably put something together just by walking around.

turbomoose
Nov 29, 2008
Playing the banjo can be a relaxing activity and create lifelong friendships!
\
:backtowork:
Bamboo socks are really comfy. I've bought them from two separate places and they both were impressive. I got these a few years ago and they have held up and still feel good: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003IBCOJI?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Edit: Wrong thread.

Elderbean has a new favorite as of 23:46 on Feb 12, 2016

Meatwave
Feb 21, 2014

Truest Detective - Work Crew Division.
:dong::yayclod:

C-Euro posted:

You don't have to raise the entire desk. Get an articulated monitor mount. Look for one that can move up and down easily, like something with gas springs. A dual-arm gas spring monitor mount can be had for under $100 on amazon. If you don't mind having to re-clamp the mount when you want to stand, then you could forget the fancy springs and go with one of those vertical pipes.

As far as the keyboard, well you've got 3 options: A keyboard on top of a monitor/printer stand on your desk. A pricey articulated keyboard/mouse tray like what is used in doctor's offices (If you don't want one that annoyingly bounces as you use it, this will cost more than a dual monitor mount). Or, my favorite, buy a lovely spring-less monitor mount, flip it sideways, and mount it to a hunk of nice-looking wood that's big enough for your keyboard, mouse, and whatever hand-rests you want. Make sure it can tilt backwards 90 degrees, though.

Then don't even bother moving the keyboard, just have two keyboards and swing the keyboard arm out of the way when you're in sitting mode. For me, this was serendipitously a fantastic idea because I could have a "wet" keyboard and mouse for when I'm standing and wearing gloves, and a dry keyboard and mouse for when I'm not.

And once the novelty of using a standing desk wears out (as it tends to do), you've got some cool mounted hardware that is still useful, and could turn all sorts of surfaces into a compact computer desk.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

I have a pretty nice picture frame that I wanted to use, but the photos come in weird sizes. I can't seem to find any online photo printing service that offers all three sizes that I'm looking for. I'm looking for 4x4, 6x4 and 4x6. Anyone have any ideas on what I can do?

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

obi_ant posted:

I have a pretty nice picture frame that I wanted to use, but the photos come in weird sizes. I can't seem to find any online photo printing service that offers all three sizes that I'm looking for. I'm looking for 4x4, 6x4 and 4x6. Anyone have any ideas on what I can do?

Scissors?

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

obi_ant posted:

Where are you looking that offers photo finishing but doesn't sell 4x6 prints? It's the most common size when getting prints made...

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

obi_ant posted:

I've had luck with Adorama http://www.adorama.com/

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.
We moved into our first Real Adult House™ this winter and as spring approaches we need to get a lawnmower and such since we no longer live somewhere with yard service. After looking at Consumer Reports I think we're going to go with this mower and this trimmer.

Are there any other yard things we should consider buying? We're renting so we're not planning on doing anything other than maintenance to the yard.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

We moved into our first Real Adult House™ this winter and as spring approaches we need to get a lawnmower and such since we no longer live somewhere with yard service. After looking at Consumer Reports I think we're going to go with this mower and this trimmer.

Are there any other yard things we should consider buying? We're renting so we're not planning on doing anything other than maintenance to the yard.

I use the hell out of this, but that depends on whether your yard has edging or if you'll have to be breaking ice.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

The Sweet Home Recommends a slightly different Honda mower but really, any Honda mower should last you 20+ years.

That's no joke either. The guy at Home Depot who rung me up when I bought mine literally said "See you in 30 years." My Dad's Honda mower is still going (though he gave it to my brother) and he's had it for at least 25 years.

As for a trimmer, if you've got a larger lot and are going cordless, I'd suggest a spare battery (which they will always rape you on, just saying).

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
If you've got hills, I can't recommend this AWD model enough: https://www.toro.com/en/homeowner/walk-behind-mowers/20353-awd-recycler-mower

Thwomp posted:

As for a trimmer, if you've got a larger lot and are going cordless, I'd suggest a spare battery (which they will always rape you on, just saying).

Also, all of your other battery powered tools are now Ryobi for this reason, and there's a lot missing for 40v (no drills, saws, etc.) I use black and decker 20v so I can have 3 batteries that power around 5 different devices, even though it's not super powerful, it gets the job done.

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I'm looking for some cheapish aviator-style prescription sunglasses. The problem is I have a huge noggin. The last pair I got from Zenni was tiny and it looked like I was wearing doll's glasses. Any recommendations?

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

Danger Mahoney posted:

I'm looking for some cheapish aviator-style prescription sunglasses. The problem is I have a huge noggin. The last pair I got from Zenni was tiny and it looked like I was wearing doll's glasses. Any recommendations?

Most of the online websites have measurements for their frames. Might want to find something in store that fits you, take measurements of the glasses then compare to what you find online.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.

Thwomp posted:

The Sweet Home Recommends a slightly different Honda mower but really, any Honda mower should last you 20+ years.

That's no joke either. The guy at Home Depot who rung me up when I bought mine literally said "See you in 30 years." My Dad's Honda mower is still going (though he gave it to my brother) and he's had it for at least 25 years.

Our lot is about 9000 square feet so it's decently sized but not huge by any means, the Ryobi website says that one charge can last about 2/3rds of an acre so we should be okay.

Consumer Reports recommends pretty much all Honda mowers so I decided a middle of the road one would be best.

baquerd posted:

If you've got hills, I can't recommend this AWD model enough: https://www.toro.com/en/homeowner/walk-behind-mowers/20353-awd-recycler-mower

I actually looked at that one but there were a few too many reviews saying it needed expensive repairs within the first couple years of ownership so I decided on the Honda.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

I actually looked at that one but there were a few too many reviews saying it needed expensive repairs within the first couple years of ownership so I decided on the Honda.

It's barely been out for a year though... Consumer reports also loved it: http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/news/2015/04/all-wheel-drive-mower-from-toro-is-a-winner/index.htm

The big thing is that on steep grades and slopes, you don't have to muscle it around because the wheels are much more rubbery/grippy than most mowers and of course AWD. This matters to me because 75% of my yard is a steepish hill. I also don't have to change the oil which is nice.

I did have a 7 year old toro I replaced that the drive shaft gears were going out on though, and apparently that's not an uncommon issue.

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce

Danger Mahoney posted:

Do some research to see if local optometrists will grind lenses for you if you come with frames. Then you can pick out a set of frames you like at a local thrift or secondhand store or vintage reseller for under $10 and have them grind the lenses. If you have vision insurance, it might even be covered.

My parents have been doing this for almost three decades now ("the big style is coming back!") for around $100.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

This guy knows his lemon substitutes. I figured I'd give this stuff a try after reading this, and it is the real deal. One packet in your glass of water tastes just like you squeezed a slice of lemon in there. I can see making this stuff into a habit. Anybody on the fence should give it a shot. They sell smaller packages on Amazon if you don't want to jump in with a 500 ct commitment; just make sure you get the True Lemon and not the lemonade from the same brand.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Hey new version of the products thread I didn't know existed! I have a kinda specific need:

I live within a mile of work. The boyfriend and I live together, and share one car. He works a few miles away, but traffic during rush hour makes that a 30 minute to hour long commute either way. I'd like to be able to just let him have the car instead of taking him to work / picking him up, so I'm considering other means of getting to work myself. Also, the parking garage at my office was made by satan and is a nightmare to get into or out of, taking up to 10 minutes and involving numerous tight areas where I almost-crash each time. To make matters worse, I live in Florida and we get pretty much daily monsoons during the wetter seasons right about the time when I'd need to be walking/biking home, so those aren't options for like half the year (though I have been doing it during the dry season). Actually getting to and from work is on a two-lane road (with no sidewalk for half the trip) but the road crosses a six-lane major highway intersection at one point.

Ideally I'd like a small, enclosed, preferably electric powered single-seat vehicle that can get me to and from work reliably every day. It'd be nice if it didn't look incredibly dorky too but I can deal with it if it does. I'm also open to other suggestions, the only thing off the top of my head that even comes close to this is a smart car.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Bike to work in gym clothes, keep your work clothes and a towel in a watertight bag that they sell in the sporting section for kayaking or whatever, change in the bathroom at work?

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce
The only thing I can think of I've only ever seen in Europe:

You could also buy accessories like a zip-sided clear protection, but I don't think that is feasible for this.

I would use this as an excuse to get a decent pair of rainboots, a good poncho and a Chrome messenger bag. Last summer I got caught in the rain from my 1 mile walk back from the train. Maybe this is how rain is in other parts of the world, but even with a raincoat on, I was soaked from the moment I stepped out from the station. I was wearing a Columbia rain jacket and by the time I got home it was soaked through. Everything in my bag (including my work laptop and a couple of books) was completely dry.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Sentient Data posted:

Bike to work in gym clothes, keep your work clothes and a towel in a watertight bag that they sell in the sporting section for kayaking or whatever, change in the bathroom at work?

Eponine posted:

I would use this as an excuse to get a decent pair of rainboots, a good poncho and a Chrome messenger bag. Last summer I got caught in the rain from my 1 mile walk back from the train. Maybe this is how rain is in other parts of the world, but even with a raincoat on, I was soaked from the moment I stepped out from the station. I was wearing a Columbia rain jacket and by the time I got home it was soaked through. Everything in my bag (including my work laptop and a couple of books) was completely dry.

Oh yeah... that's... completely practical and sensible. I guess I was secretly hoping for an excuse to buy a cool future-scooter or something :sigh:

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

For a commute shorter than a mile, your best bet is just a bike + change of clothes in the rain, or just walking. For the price of a crazy electric scooter thing, you could probably throw your clothes away after each commute, buy new ones, and still come out ahead.

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

focus this time so i don't have to keep telling you idiots what happened
Lipstick Apathy
Buy an umbrella.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

uwaeve posted:

Buy an umbrella.

I'm not sure you realize just how much rain we're talking about. I've had nice big wide strong windproof umbrellas and still got soaked.

various cheeses posted:

For a commute shorter than a mile, your best bet is just a bike + change of clothes in the rain, or just walking. For the price of a crazy electric scooter thing, you could probably throw your clothes away after each commute, buy new ones, and still come out ahead.

Yeah okay.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Buy the scooter then post about in the favorite recent purchase thread

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

uwaeve posted:

Buy an umbrella.

Buy a beater car and replace it every time you have to sink more then $400 into it.

Or buy a kayaking drysuit to wear over your clothing and give no fucks about rain.

Astrobastard
Dec 31, 2008

Winky Face

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

Ideally I'd like a small, enclosed, preferably electric powered single-seat vehicle that can get me to and from work reliably every day. It'd be nice if it didn't look incredibly dorky too but I can deal with it if it does. I'm also open to other suggestions, the only thing off the top of my head that even comes close to this is a smart car.

In Europe there's the Renault Twizy, but Im pretty sure they're not available in the states

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

What about one of those velomobile things? It's basically a tiny car you pedal. Most of them look dorky as gently caress though.

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Potato Count: 2 small potatoes
Have you considered getting a taxi when it rains?

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

I'd like a good hand steamer to freshen up clothes. Pick up whatever at good will or what

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

SaltLick posted:

I'd like a good hand steamer to freshen up clothes. Pick up whatever at good will or what

I got mine at Aldi three years ago for ~$15, still going fine. I'd say get whatever, but I wouldn't do goodwill unless it was still in the box/a nice model of some kind because the savings isn't worth the cleaning of a used one.