Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

Patter Song posted:

Question for anyone on the podcast: Season 1 ends on episode 26. I know you do it by 4 episode chunks, but presumably you'd want to end an ep on the finale rather than having your 7th ep cover the last two episodes of Season 1 and the first two of Season 2.

Will you do two three-episode podcasts (21-23 and 24-26) or a 21-24 and a 25-26 mini-cast summing up the season?

Almost certainly 21-24 and a 25-26 minicast.

Having a season-spanning episode seems like it could be unnecessarily confusing, plus part of the point is that we experience things roughly similar to how it was originally put out.

Additionally I'll appreciate it as a sort of mini-break, since, as you'll hear Sunday, I'm already growing fatigued with this series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Super tangent but I just noticed you did a podcast on Summer Wars! I haven't listen to it yet but I hope you liked it, I loved that movie.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

Nate RFB posted:

Super tangent but I just noticed you did a podcast on Summer Wars! I haven't listen to it yet but I hope you liked it, I loved that movie.

I adore that movie and consider it a top shelf product. I won't spoil it for you, but I will say that recording that podcast was a generally frustrating experience.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

Patter Song posted:

I have a feeling that this podcast is just going to get better and better. I like how AP is clearly coming from a very different background than the other two (I do wince at your historical analysis every once in a while, especially the Caesar stuff, but whatever) and it gives him a very different perspective on the show than the other two.

It's worth remembering that this series was originally a series of books and is noteworthy for being a reasonably faithful adaptation (though supposedly the new LOGH series will be even more faithful somehow, or at least that's what they claim) and wasn't originally written by professional anime screenwriters like most anime. Also, it was direct-to-video and was never intended for a mainstream audience (an audience who buys thousands of dollars of laserdiscs is by definition not mainstream).

I won't try and force historical stuff if it doesn't seen apparent. The Caesar thing was just a very easy one to spot because a) everyone on that planet wore togas and robes, dressing like stereotypical Romans despite being in space and b) it ended with everyone in the room stabbing that fucker personally. It was very clearly a Caesar reference they were going for there, so I felt like I had to tip the hat that I knew what they were playing with there. If I see something like that, I will probably just mention it briefly. Roman politics is not exactly my speciality at all, so there wasn't much due I could give there.

Also, if in future episodes you find it odd why I focus in on and find the political stuff more interesting: I study politics at university, and read a boatload of history in my free time. As such, I like giving a nod to things I notice which I find interesting. Yang and me have something in common, and something that sets us apart. A love of history, and a relationship with politics. If I find something particularly interesting with a political background, to save it being in the main recording and taking something like 20 minutes since mikey and randombattle don't like politics or political discussion at all, I might end up going off on my own and recording a supplemental thing which you definitely won't need to watch. I feel like I might want to do that at some point, to explore and discuss the background of the paths of thought that I feel like the characters are going to take. Mikey would only edit it out anyway, because it would take too long on one point, plus when I am in a group I tend to get sidetracked with playing the fool and having a laugh more than trying to defend my point with genuine arguments.

As an aside, you will find increasingly that randombattle and mikey insist that this should be read as anime, and I kinda just disregard that. Why? Mikey told me to come into this with no preconceptions because I am an anime hater. As such, I came in with none. At all. I am not watching this as anime, and I am watching it in the same way I would watch something like Mad Men or The Wire, etc. I am not suggesting it is as deep, but I am watching it in the same way, where I am trying to pay attention and look a little deeper. It doesn't really even feel like anime either, which helps.

They keep insisting it won't go for anything deeper than "two big sides in a war against each other big heroes big bad guys", but I feel like it is gonna try harder than that, and go for something like the value of democracy, power, etc, maybe not as the main thrust but it will probably be a recurring issue. Since it wasn't made as mainstream anime nor has roots in trying to be mainstream, it has the more free reign to try going for something like that, and I think they will. Hence why you will see my apprehension to the other guys saying that Yang will eventually become the leader of the FPA both politically and militarily. I feel like something more mainstream will tell a story like that, because it is in their interests to keep the story more even sided, to maintain suspense. However, if I were to make something like this, where mainstream recognition is not an issue, I would not have to worry about having Yang be more weary of assuming total power, considering his wealth of historical knowledge of how leaders tend to act when assuming the position of the head of state and army. We've already seen them address issues of corruption, the noblesse oblige and its flaws, the insufficiencies of democracy vs. the fast action of autocracy. I don't think it is unreasonable they will go further, in the 100 episodes they have to work with.

Another Person fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Feb 20, 2016

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

I'm not caught up with the podcast so I apologize if this something that's already been explained, but why is LOGH being anime mutually exclusive with it addressing those issues?

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

VostokProgram posted:

I'm not caught up with the podcast so I apologize if this something that's already been explained, but why is LOGH being anime mutually exclusive with it addressing those issues?

It is more randombattle saying "this won't happen because this is an anime and I know how anime works" and I'm like "eeehhh, I disagree"

e; basically, the other guys are making assumptions on a totally different basis to me because I am intentionally trying to reject my basic assumptions. The capability of anime addressing them isn't the issue, it is the tendency of whether anime usually does with shows made for mainstream appeal. I am assuming greatly that they are going for more niche appeal.

Another Person fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Feb 20, 2016

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Another Person posted:

It is more randombattle saying "this won't happen because this is an anime and I know how anime works" and I'm like "eeehhh, I disagree"

e; basically, the other guys are making assumptions on a totally different basis to me because I am intentionally trying to reject my assumptions

Are all three of you doing this blind? I thought you had one guy who'd seen it already.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

VostokProgram posted:

Are all three of you doing this blind? I thought you had one guy who'd seen it already.

We thought someone had seen it all when we were planning it, but it turns out none of us had really broken the first few episodes. So, blind. I am the blindest - I had never heard of it before the other guys asked me to do it.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
Actually, question. When you say this was originally a series of books, do you mean regular books, or comic book collections of manga? I went into this assuming it was the latter. If it is just regular novels, then it kinda compounds my feelings that this is going to be more of a niche appeal instead of a mainstream one, and will go into detail on the issues I am discussing more. If you can't tell, I did like no research before going into this. I am just watching the show, and saying what I think and feel.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Another Person posted:

Mikey would only edit it out anyway, because it would take too long on one point

I'm not sure you understand what it is I edit out and why. If you has genuinely insightful and interesting things to say it would likely not get cut because it would be insightful and interesting.

Another Person posted:

I tend to get sidetracked with playing the fool

It's mainly this that I cut, and only when the joke goes past its prime. I end up cutting numerous goofs that just don't land, from all three of us. Most of the actual conversation stays in.

e: Primarily I'm saying don't make an extra file. Just say what you're going to say in here. If you really want you can record it separately and I'll insert it like a special segment or something, especially if you can pare it down to a reasonable length.

mikeycp fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Feb 20, 2016

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Another Person posted:

Actually, question. When you say this was originally a series of books, do you mean regular books, or comic book collections of manga? I went into this assuming it was the latter. If it is just regular novels, then it kinda compounds my feelings that this is going to be more of a niche appeal instead of a mainstream one, and will go into detail on the issues I am discussing more. If you can't tell, I did like no research before going into this. I am just watching the show, and saying what I think and feel.

LOGH is adapted from a series of legit japanese scifi novels (which is to say, not light novels like tons of anime are based off of these days)

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Another Person posted:

We thought someone had seen it all when we were planning it, but it turns out none of us had really broken the first few episodes. So, blind. I am the blindest - I had never heard of it before the other guys asked me to do it.

Nonsense I keep recommending it I'm the giant bomb thread

Also it's from a book series, but a manga adaptation has just begun recently

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

mikeycp posted:

I'm not sure you understand what it is I edit out and why. If you has genuinely insightful and interesting things to say it would likely not get cut because it would be insightful and interesting.

It's mainly this that I cut, and only when the joke goes past its prime. I end up cutting numerous goofs that just don't land, from all three of us. Most of the actual conversation stays in.

e: Primarily I'm saying don't make an extra file. Just say what you're going to say in here. If you really want you can record it separately and I'll insert it like a special segment or something, especially if you can pare it down to a reasonable length.

I mean more that when I try to go serious and address something, and it turns into political or slightly more obscure historical discussion, you guys are just way less interested so it just generally devolves into goofs because rather than get into a debate with you about the ethical qualities of the state it is probably smarter for both time and peoples interest to let it turn into a joke and die than drag it out for 25 mins with you guys just kinda feeling bored. Don't wanna do that to you.

I actually held myself back last session because you just kinda weren't interested in episodes 13 and 14 in the way I was, in how it showed the brutalities of war on the citizens or subjects (the classification of which is a debate in itself) of the realm. Instead of having what I mention above happen when I want to hone in on something you might not find insightful or interesting just due to your general interests not lining up with mine and then it falling into goofs and nothing because I realise after starting the conversation that you aren't too interested in say... the changing loyalties of peasants or the brutality of a scorched earth policy (I could have and would have, if you were interested, gone into the history of scorched earth a bit, and when it is banned and why), just instead mention it as an aside thing and then hone in on it elsewhere on my own. That way we keep things rolling without AP's long, one sided recanting of a thing he found interesting but nobody else did. I sat around for 20 minutes after last session and thought to myself how I should really try and address those issues if you guys didn't find much in them but I did, and I figured it would be best to just mention it and then move on, then look at it again myself in a different video.

Besides, it would definitely help you to have less of me trying to go back to it to find where I finally stopped talking about the pains of the chevauchee (which I would have discussed if I felt you guys wanted to talk about it) on the people. Plus, you know reasonable length is not really my thing anyway. I am finding things I can really go in depth on, and I kind of want to in a totally separate video. Someone might find it interesting in some regard.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

Captain Invictus posted:

Nonsense I keep recommending it I'm the giant bomb thread

Also it's from a book series, but a manga adaptation has just begun recently

puhlease captain, like I read all of those anime recs you make. if I did, I would be an anime scholar of the highest class!

e; i do need to watch erased tho, that is sound and i will vouch for it

Another Person fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Feb 20, 2016

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
You also need to read dungeon meshi

Dungeon meshi is currently fighting with erased for my favorite current series that isn't one piece

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
I haven't listened to the podcast but it seems like AP has a much better sense of the series than the anime fans...

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Chas McGill posted:

I haven't listened to the podcast but it seems like AP has a much better sense of the series than the anime fans...

Yep, I'm eagearly awaiting the next podcasts.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Chas McGill posted:

Same.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Their views have been tainted by anime, you see.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Imagine watching LOGH as your first anime.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Chas McGill posted:

Man, poo poo's completely non-representative of the media as a whole. I'm not an Anime Watcher, although I've watched more of it than the average person, but LoGH felt more like an old scifi/historical fiction series than a traditional anime thing.

Also, I shared that "alcohol is a friend to humanity" screencap with my brother (my main outlet for niche nerd conversation), and he mentioned "oh, I've heard of the series, some dudes from the LP forum were watching it (kuvo and the dark id), but I thought they were making fun of it". I'm like, nooooo it's good also kuvo is mainly livetweeting a gundam you dummy.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer

Chas McGill posted:

LOGH was my first anime. Never have found anything that scratches the itch other then a rewatch since :v:

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Episode 5 of Anime Kiwi is live. It covers episodes 13-16.

Audio Version
YouTube Version

Also, stuff came up again, so despite what I say at the end of this episode, next week will cover the first Gurren Lagann movie, Childhood's End, not LOGH. So I won't post about that one in here (just check our channel next week if you're interested in that.).

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
wait is Another Person going to watch the Gurren Lagann movies without(assumedly) seeing the series

that'll be a hoot if so

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Captain Invictus posted:

wait is Another Person going to watch the Gurren Lagann movies without(assumedly) seeing the series

that'll be a hoot if so

No, that will be cat doter watching the GL movies without having seen the series. AP is out this week, which is why we are doing it. Also I remember nothing about the differences between the movies and the series, so I may as well count as not having seen it.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
What a shame!

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
My life is a burning pile of tires, polluting the world around it. Sorry guys, sooner or later we will see all my predictions proven correct.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Started on a rewatch with a friend that's first timing it, and I forgot how slow parts of the first season could be. Can't believe the blue haired mistress had an entire episode, Friend pointed out that she basically said the same three or four things repeatedly. Why did it take her 10+ years to finally breakdown and start scheming? Was the Emperor stringing her along the whole time?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Another Person posted:

My life is a burning pile of tires, polluting the world around it. Sorry guys, sooner or later we will see all my predictions proven correct.

Man I kinda wish there was a live reaction cam for you guys watching this

although AP's would possibly just be monocle-popping and jittering his teacup plate slightly in surprise or triumph

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Captain Invictus posted:

Man I kinda wish there was a live reaction cam for you guys watching this

although AP's would possibly just be monocle-popping and jittering his teacup plate slightly in surprise or triumph

Echoing this. So excited to hear you guys watch more of the show.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I assure you that you guys would not be interested in whatever my theoretical reaction cam would show, if the past 16 episodes are anything to go by.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

Started on a rewatch with a friend that's first timing it, and I forgot how slow parts of the first season could be. Can't believe the blue haired mistress had an entire episode, Friend pointed out that she basically said the same three or four things repeatedly. Why did it take her 10+ years to finally breakdown and start scheming? Was the Emperor stringing her along the whole time?

It's half Emperor stringing her along, half her going insane from failing to murder/shame Reinhard multiple times over the course of the Gaiden series. Most will say that those episodes aren't really worth checking out, but nevertheless hold some interesting arcs like then-Commodore Reinhard taking part in a ground war against the Rosenritter.

edit: Actually, the more I think about it, the Gaidens are really cool for world-building purposes and learning about the intricacies of Alliance/Imperial culture (the mistress stuff is practically all back-room politics, all the time), even if the gist of most of those arcs essentially amounts to "junior officer Yang/Reinhard go to place, find out that said place is run by incompetents/corrupt dudes, save the day, get promoted at exponential rate"

Cross-Section fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Feb 22, 2016

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Hello logh thread.

I just wanted to give a heads up that for multiple reasons I won't be posting updates about the podcast in here anymore. The leading one being that I feel uncomfortable with so much of the activity as of late being me plugging my poo poo.

My last plug in here will be directing y'all to the new Anime Podcast Thread, where I will continue to give updates.

Thanks for putting up with me over the last month or so.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I don't think anyone had a problem with it tbqh

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Captain Invictus posted:

I don't think anyone had a problem with it tbqh

yeah, keep it up man, it keep the discussions in here fresh because each podcast provokes at least some comments

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I guess I can keep posting small updates in here. That said, at the rate things have been going I don't know how much longer we're going to be talking about logh, so what's the harm, I guess.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I've still got it in my queue so I've not listened to any yet, are things not going well between you guys?

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Personal stuff has been coming up and delaying stuff, which is fine, but the last one I ended on kind of a bad note about the show and the more time I've had to ruminate on it the more I realize I'm not actually enjoying very much about it.

At the very least we will finish off the first season, but I can't promise any more than that right now.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
What the

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I'm swiftly moving toward a solution which pleases nobody! YEAGGH!
Hey I listened to your podcasts dude. It's fun to hear initial reactions and I am looking forward to what else you guys have to say. But yeah last ep I could tell that really only AP is still feeling the show, and your arguing got kind of repetitive. Like at some point instead of you guys going back and forth about whose predictions are most insane, I just wanted you guys to watch more to find out who's right.

FWIW when I watched LOGH I took some long breaks between seasons because it did kind of wear me out a little bit. Maybe finish up season 1 and see where you want to go from there? And LOGH still ended up being like an all-time top 3 anime for me. I'm not actually a super into anime person (but I'm married to one), and I probably liked this one so much because it was so different.