Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Maybe they can crib the plot of that one episode of West Wing where they offer the republicans an unopposed pick in exchange for their unopposed pick to take RBG's seat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

I wouldn't trust them to uphold their end of the deal.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Javid posted:

Maybe they can crib the plot of that one episode of West Wing where they offer the republicans an unopposed pick in exchange for their unopposed pick to take RBG's seat.

Then we get a new Scalia and a new RBG and Scalia’s assassination meant nothing.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Thread title's gotten kinda weird.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
A young Mitch McConnell wrote in a 1970-71 law journal article that politics should play no role in Senate confirmations of Supreme Court appointments and that the Senate should defer to the president.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

An old Mitch McConnell said in 2008...

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

A lot of people change opinions over the course of 45 years.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Subjunctive posted:

8 years of a black president.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

gohmak posted:

8 years of a black president.

During which time said black president changed his mind on SSM. I don't want politicians who are forever locked into their opinions.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Subjunctive posted:

Yes, I’m sure he changed this particular opinion for all the right reasons and none of the wrong ones.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Platystemon posted:

Yes, I’m sure he changed this particular opinion for all the right reasons and none of the wrong ones.

Then talk about the reasons, instead of "lol you said the opposite before Carter was elected gotcha hypocrite". Critique his reasoning -- does it no longer hold?

Generally I think you'll find that "the right reasons" are whatever justify an opinion changing to match those of whoever is speaking.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Subjunctive posted:

Then talk about the reasons, instead of "lol you said the opposite before Carter was elected gotcha hypocrite". Critique his reasoning -- does it no longer hold?

Generally I think you'll find that "the right reasons" are whatever justify an opinion changing to match those of whoever is speaking.

He held the same beliefs at the end of W's term too.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Subjunctive posted:

I cannot find fault with the argument he made in the Kentucky Law Journal. To mortal eyes, it an unassailable fortress .

I am regrettably unable to critique McConnell’s reasons for changing his opinion in the years since, for they are known to none but God.

Whatever they are, they must be powerful, to lay low such a righteous edifice.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Platystemon posted:

I cannot find fault with the argument he made in the Kentucky Law Journal. To mortal eyes, it an unassailable fortress .

I am regrettably unable to critique McConnell’s reasons for changing his opinion in the years since, for they are known to none but God.

Whatever they are, they must be powerful, to lay low such a righteous edifice.

He held those same beliefs through 2008 and didn't change them until the moment Scalia died.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Northjayhawk posted:

The supreme court just declined to stay the lower court ruling in the NC redistricting case. Before Scalia died, there was a good chance they would have granted the stay.

And the odds of it being a 4-4, if not a 5-3 against NC, in an actual SCOTUS decision are extremely good too so they're going to have to unfuck their awful map. :toot:

e: I can only imagine the amount of shady bullshit the GOP's going to pull to try and confuse voters in November though.

Evil Fluffy fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Feb 20, 2016

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe
I think the more interesting question is whether it'd be possible to change it so the Supreme Court is term limited; I have a hard time imagining it being important enough to ever see a constitutional amendment pass on it nowadays, but I'm pretty sympathetic to the argument that having a single 18 year term limit per Justice and having a new Justice be appointed every two years would be an improvement over the court justices retiring when they expect an ideologically similar replacement unless one of them dies, driving the impetus to appoint someone who can live to be 120. It also breaks the lottery of how many Justices a President gets to nominate; Nixon got to appoint four justices to the court, and Carter got to appoint none.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Evil Fluffy posted:

And the odds of it being a 4-4, if not a 5-3 against NC, in an actual SCOTUS decision are extremely good too so they're going to have to unfuck their awful map. :toot:

e: I can only imagine the amount of shady bullshit the GOP's going to pull to try and confuse voters in November though.

The NC GOP has already implemented Voter ID and shortened early voting and removed Sunday voting because black Democrat churches would go vote after service.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Javid posted:

The reason that episode worked is because Associate Justice Armageddon had a keen legal mind, and was able to judge cases on their actual merit w/r/t his own legal philosophy. He wasn't just some GOP caricature that would rubber stamp poo poo.

I doubt we'd get something like that in this climate. Just look at how Roberts was excoriated for his Obamacare ruling.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

FilthyImp posted:

The reason that episode worked is because Associate Justice Armageddon had a keen legal mind, and was able to judge cases on their actual merit w/r/t his own legal philosophy. He wasn't just some GOP caricature that would rubber stamp poo poo.

I doubt we'd get something like that in this climate. Just look at how Roberts was excoriated for his Obamacare ruling.

That excoriation BTW is why we don't elect SC judges

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

corn in the bible posted:

Also if we elected judges we'd have at least 3 Kennedys because I doubt Kagan or Sotomayor would've gotten elected over some center(-right) judge. They'd all be Tough on Crime/Drugs and soft on Big Business as well just like the majority of elected judges are.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Right, but I'm just saying that I have a hard time believing congress could consider a Conservative judge who would say something like 'Well there's no good *legal* basis to deny gays marriage rights and...'

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Mo_Steel posted:

I think the more interesting question is whether it'd be possible to change it so the Supreme Court is term limited; I have a hard time imagining it being important enough to ever see a constitutional amendment pass on it nowadays, but I'm pretty sympathetic to the argument that having a single 18 year term limit per Justice and having a new Justice be appointed every two years would be an improvement over the court justices retiring when they expect an ideologically similar replacement unless one of them dies, driving the impetus to appoint someone who can live to be 120. It also breaks the lottery of how many Justices a President gets to nominate; Nixon got to appoint four justices to the court, and Carter got to appoint none.

If you can change the term limits of Justices you can do a whole lot more that's more productive.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
If the current Congress could pass any amendment they'd ban gay marriage before they did something constructive

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

If the current Congress could pass any amendment they'd ban gay marriage before they did something constructive

Obamacare and THEN banning gay marriage.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!

citybeatnik posted:

Obamacare and THEN banning gay marriage.

Balanced budget second

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Rust Martialis posted:

Balanced budget

We would all die.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

euphronius posted:

We would all die.
Reminds me of that SimCity plan where everyone lives in smog-choked, toxic wasteland, the death and birthrates cancel each other out, there are no firefighters because it's easier just to rebuild after a blaze, and the revenues are through the roof.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

FilthyImp posted:

Reminds me of that SimCity plan where everyone lives in smog-choked, toxic wasteland, the death and birthrates cancel each other out, there are no firefighters because it's easier just to rebuild after a blaze, and the revenues are through the roof.

Detroit!

Sundayturks
May 31, 2011

You were expecting...Sandy Claws?

Fun Shoe

FilthyImp posted:

Link? I want to see that terrible thing.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Sundayturks posted:

Link? I want to see that terrible thing.

This might be it. If not it's still amazing. And horrifying. http://www.vice.com/read/the-totalitarian-buddhist-who-beat-sim-city

Linking the vice article since it has the vaguely ominous video the guy put up for his city on top of an interview on how he came to make the perfect dystopian hellhole. Plus, the interview is hilarious.

quote:

Anything else you'd like to add?

If anyone's wondering, I am not autistic, or a savant, nor suffer from OCD, or suffer from any other form of clinical mental disease or illness for that matter.

I can't imagine why anyone might think that...

Edit: Yeah, that's definitely it. The city's name is Magnasanti. The creator sums it up best.

Several responses to questions in the interview posted:

It very much was--I first watched it in 2006. The film presented the world in a way I never really looked at before and that captivated me. Moments like these compel me to physically express progressions in my thought, I have just happened to do that through the form of creating these cities in SimCity 3000. I could probably have done something similar--depicting the awesome regimentation and brutality of our society--with a series of paintings on a canvas, or through hideous architectural models. But it wouldn't be the same as doing it in the game, because I wanted to magnify the unbelievably sick ambitions of egotistical political dictators, ruling elites and downright insane architects, urban planners, and social engineers.

There are a lot of other problems in the city hidden under the illusion of order and greatness--suffocating air pollution, high unemployment, no fire stations, schools, or hospitals, a regimented lifestyle--this is the price that these sims pay for living in the city with the highest population. It's a sick and twisted goal to strive towards.

The ironic thing about it is the sims in Magnasanti tolerate it. They don't rebel, or cause revolutions and social chaos. No one considers challenging the system by physical means since a hyper-efficient police state keeps them in line. They have all been successfully dumbed down, sickened with poor health, enslaved and mind-controlled just enough to keep this system going for thousands of years. 50,000 years to be exact. They are all imprisoned in space and time.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Feb 21, 2016

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Archonex posted:

This might be it. If not it's still amazing. And horrifying. http://www.vice.com/read/the-totalitarian-buddhist-who-beat-sim-city
Yup, you nailed it. MAGNASANTI.

The crazy amount of planning that went into that thing is just awe-inspiring. I love games and all, but I don't think I can muster up the ridiculous mental acuity to just completely exploit the underlying systems to that extent.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Maybe Scalia is working his way up the legal ladder of Magnasanti in the afterlife. :unsmith:

KittenofDoom
Apr 15, 2003

Me posting IRL
MagnaSATAN?

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Platystemon posted:

Maybe Scalia is working his way up the legal ladder of Magnasanti in the afterlife. :unsmith:

Magnasanti pretty much doesn't need judges to rule on social or even criminal decisions. I don't think it even has jails.

Between the brutal hyper efficient police force, the crappy living and working conditions that always kill every citizen before they can hit sixty, and the fact that all the administrative work is literally already finished (and has been for 50,000 years) he'd basically just be another rightless worthless schmuck to slave away day in and day out at a below minimum wage job before eventually being given a free ticket to the incinerator chambers enjoy a super vacation when he turned 55.

So it'd basically be an ironic hell given his own fight against social progress, really.

Sundayturks
May 31, 2011

You were expecting...Sandy Claws?

Fun Shoe
Magnasanti is brilliant and terrible, cheers for the link.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

So I was just reading about some legal stiff on twitter, and thought to myself "In a 5-4 decision, wait not anymore mother fuckers!"

Mitt Romney
Nov 9, 2005
dumb and bad
Posted this in US Pol: Joe Biden, 1992: http://www.vox.com/2016/2/22/11094898/joe-biden-supreme-court

quote:

C-SPAN has resurfaced video of a floor speech delivered by then-Senate Judiciary Committee Chair Joe Biden on June 25, 1992. In it, Biden explicitly calls on then-President George H.W. Bush to not nominate anyone to fill whatever Supreme Court vacancies should arise between then and the presidential election in November, and suggests that if Bush did put forth a nominee, the Judiciary Committee might not hold hearings.
Sen. Joe Biden in 1992 says President Bush should "not name a nominee until after the November election..."

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

June 25th is 4 months away and Biden was wrong then.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Posted this in the Scalia thread:

Squizzle posted:

Biden's saying that considering a nominee between late July and early November in a major election year would force Senate members to act on one of their most important duties while distracted by the activities of campaigning, for themselves or their colleagues. His suggestion is that the President wait until after the election, not until after the inauguration. All Biden says there is that the Senate needs to give a nominee their full attention. He also implies that it's a bad move to nominate someone when it could become a political subject in the election. And, he's speaking hypothetically.

Contrast that with the partisan gamesmanship of the current Senate majority, who themselves moved to make this SCOTUS seat a political topic in the election, before a nominee was even put forward, in mid-February. They're acting directly counter to Biden's point, only doing so using the power of the Senate instead of the Presidency.

e: Note also that Biden waited until the Court's summer recess to say this, as if to avoid the possibility or even appearance of making a political issue of the Court during its term.

we: Jesus, not sure how I managed that June/July gently caress-up. My mother's birthday is in June; you'd think that I would recognize the number. So I'll need to check to make sure that the Court was actually recessed at the time. :v:

Squizzle fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Feb 22, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Nevvy Z posted:

June 25th is 4 months away and Biden was wrong then.

Also, Biden was apparently talking about the judiciary comity giving any SCOTUS nominee their full attention which he said would be difficult while they were trying to be re-elected. So when is the senate scheduled to break to focus on their campaigns this year?