Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alleric
Dec 10, 2002

Rambly Bastard...
Been a while since I popped up in the smoking thread.

Anywhoo... doing the pork for a fundraiser on Saturday. This will all hit brine tonight and the smoker on Friday on pecan. 48 lbs of love.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

I assume the flour is unrelated?

Alleric
Dec 10, 2002

Rambly Bastard...
Indeed. I often have mixed-usage shopping baskets. We were out of flour. :)

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

No Butt Stuff posted:

I assume the flour is unrelated?

My first thought as well. Then I had an even better thought. Smoke pork shoulder biscuits and gravy the next morning with a fried egg on top. Hashtag put a heart attack on it.

Alleric
Dec 10, 2002

Rambly Bastard...

El Jebus posted:

My first thought as well. Then I had an even better thought. Smoke pork shoulder biscuits and gravy the next morning with a fried egg on top. Hashtag put a heart attack on it.

I'd prolly go the hash route with some peppers, onions, potatoes, maybe a chile and then put a couple of over easy eggs on top, but that's me.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
I havent actually used it yet but since I should be able to buy at Restaurant Depot with my KCBS (kansas city bbq society) membership...I decide to take a look yesterday since I was in the neighborhood

I've seen the promised land.

Reasonable everyday prices on pork butts. Brisket for 3.29/lb. I've never seen that before!

Big bag of inside or outside skirt steak? what sorcery is this?

OBAMNA PHONE fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Feb 17, 2016

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

BraveUlysses posted:

I havent actually used it yet but since I should be able to buy at Restaurant Depot with my KCBS (kansas city bbq society) membership...I decide to take a look yesterday since I was in the neighborhood

I've seen the promised land.

Reasonable everyday prices on pork butts. Brisket for 3.29/lb. I've never seen that before!

Big bag of inside or outside skirt steak? what sorcery is this?

Guy in my office has a KCBS membership and takes me to Restaurant Depot from time to time. Their prices are about the same as Costco, the pork butt was actually slightly more expensive.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

No Butt Stuff posted:

Guy in my office has a KCBS membership and takes me to Restaurant Depot from time to time. Their prices are about the same as Costco, the pork butt was actually slightly more expensive.

I'm at costco all too often and I appreciate their variety but for pork butts they are more expensive and boneless. i'm in the seattle area so thats why brisket is expensive.

Tivac
Feb 18, 2003

No matter how things may seem to change, never forget who you are

BraveUlysses posted:

I'm at costco all too often and I appreciate their variety but for pork butts they are more expensive and boneless. i'm in the seattle area so thats why brisket is expensive.

I hate you.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Tivac posted:

I hate you.

i still love u

HolyDukeNukem
Sep 10, 2008

BraveUlysses posted:

This may sound crazy, but check walmart for brisket. I went there last week and while I live in the Michigan area, they were selling full packer briskets for around $3/lb. The fact they were selling briskets at this time of the year really surprised me.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.
Funny you guys should mention hash. This was my dinner tonight:

I'm also in the Seattle area and I haven't seen a full packer yet. I haven't searched to hard yet though since I moved back last summer.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

BraveUlysses posted:

Guess I'm lucky. I'm in KC and they have boneless and bone-in. Bone-in runs around a buck a pound. I think $1.09?

I buy a lot of pork butts.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Yeah the butt struggle is real. It's been a year or two since I've seen solid 1/lb prices for butts. Even when on sale it's tough to find at $1/lb for bone in.

Any locals who want to get in on the restaurant depot purchases PM me and we can work something out. I'm only 15 mins away from the woodinville location and have a huge freezer.

Tivac
Feb 18, 2003

vulturesrow posted:

I'm also in the Seattle area and I haven't seen a full packer yet. I haven't searched to hard yet though since I moved back last summer.

I picked up some cryovac'd full packers from http://goldensteer.net/ (they're on my way home from work). Was too big to fit into my masterbuilt electric in one piece so I had to split it :(

Walked out of the store cradling that 15 lb brisket like a giant meat baby, I'm sure I looked like a crazy person.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Now I want to smoke a butt, fridge the whole thing, slice it, then chicken fry it... Someone please tell me not to do this.

Tev
Aug 13, 2008

Doom Rooster posted:

Now I want to smoke a butt, fridge the whole thing, slice it, then chicken fry it... Someone please tell me not to do this.

Do it. Don't not do it.

Report back the results, I'm guessing it would be tasty.

Hobospider
Oct 17, 2002

Seattle BBQ Goons- get yourself familiar with Cash N Carry- not only do they have cryovac CAB packer briskets- they are also the best deal on smoking pellets if you have a pellet pooper. And you don't need a membership. The one in SoDo is my favorite for size and variety.

I also go to Restaurant Depot and Costco, but Cash N Carry is my go to spot for BBQ.

Alleric
Dec 10, 2002

Rambly Bastard...
smack it up
flip
rub it down
oh no
(totally not poison)

After loading, it looks like I can get two more in there if I really feel like it, which should let me cook for 120 or so if ever necessary. That's probably 40-50 more people than will comfortably exist on the property during a party, so I'm prolly good.

It's been a long, long time since I've done shoulder, let alone shoulder on pecan. I just went back out a couple of minutes ago to confirm that the smoke had started and dear lord my far patio smells like heaven right now.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Jamsta
Dec 16, 2006

Oh you want some too? Fuck you!

Lookin' v nice! Hope you have a good party.

Gotta admit seeing that smoker controller on the floor is a massive trigger for this computer and electronics nerd. Weathering and hot coals anywhere near that kind of equipment tilts me!

I guess it's coped ok over year(s)?

Alleric
Dec 10, 2002

Rambly Bastard...

Jamsta posted:

Lookin' v nice! Hope you have a good party.

Gotta admit seeing that smoker controller on the floor is a massive trigger for this computer and electronics nerd. Weathering and hot coals anywhere near that kind of equipment tilts me!

I guess it's coped ok over year(s)?

Our Bradley is... 7 years old at this point and other than having to replace the weather cover a couple of times, it's never missed a beat. You do have to clean out the puck feed now and then with something sharp, but other than that it just runs.

I miss my offset merely for nostalgia purposes at this point. It's heresy, but I'm kind of glad to have graduated to the beep-boop-see-you-in-24-hours smoking lifestyle.

Tivac
Feb 18, 2003

Alleric posted:

It's heresy, but I'm kind of glad to have graduated to the beep-boop-see-you-in-24-hours smoking lifestyle.

I keep thinking I should upgrade to something beyond my electric smoker but how easy it is to use just kills that plan every time.

My wife was able to smoke a delicious (prepped) pork butt based on the contents of a single text message I sent her. I can't imagine trying to describe the minion/snake methods or temp control via vents in the same way.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Do I need to clean the inside of my Masterbuilt electric smoker after EVERY cook, like the instructions say?

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Hobospider posted:

Seattle BBQ Goons- get yourself familiar with Cash N Carry- not only do they have cryovac CAB packer briskets- they are also the best deal on smoking pellets if you have a pellet pooper. And you don't need a membership. The one in SoDo is my favorite for size and variety.

I also go to Restaurant Depot and Costco, but Cash N Carry is my go to spot for BBQ.

Thanks for the tip. We also do the Costco thing but Restaurant Depot and Cash n Carry are now on my list to try. Probably Cash N Carry since there is one pretty close to me. MIght have to take BraveUlysses up on his Restaurant Depot offer.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Every time I hear about someone smoking pork with something other than hickory it triggers the hell out of me.

Not important, just figured I'd mention.

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Plum Island Animal Disease Research Center. Sounds charming.
I think pork with apple or cherry is delicious hth.

Alleric
Dec 10, 2002

Rambly Bastard...
I'll give my wood views real quick:

Baseline Beef: Hickory

Baseline Pork/Chicken/Fish: Pecan

Those are my plain jane go-to's for general purpose smoking.

For beef I normally do not vary from hickory. It's a stronger smoke, and beef can take it. If I'm out of hickory, pecan. Pecan goes with drat near anything. I have done special smokes on beef with particular seasonings etc that called for fruit wood to be added in, usually cherry.

For pork I use pecan all day every day. If I feel like getting some fruit flavors in the smoke I'll add apple up to a ratio of 50/50. This goes the same for chicken. I have used Hickory on chicken by request, but I don't make a habit of it.

Fish... fish seems to want its smoke tuned based on species, seasoning/marinade, moon phase... I've used allllll kinds of woods depending on what the goal was. Again, though, pecan is a nice neutral tree wood that is a good baseline (and just rules on trout).

Oh and my andouille gets pecan too.

So yeah, um... pecan.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Y'all weirdos for not using fruit woods more

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
Yeah, cherry is a lot more versatile than it gets credit for. I use it on brisket, since I tend to do salt-and-pepper rubs there with no sweetness of their own, and it imparts a really nice flavor to the bark.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
My all-time favorite is almond, but a lot of that may just be that I used to live on an almond farm so it just tastes right because it's how I learned to smoke.

Alleric
Dec 10, 2002

Rambly Bastard...

sellouts posted:

Y'all weirdos for not using fruit woods more

I realize how broken-record I sound, but try pecan. The reason I tried it was because the andouille recipe I used said it was the correct wood, and I've pretty much never gone back. It has a very mellow, smooth smoke that is also sweet like a fruit wood. People mistake it all the time for fruit wood, which happened again tonight at the fund raiser I cooked for. It sits in this magical place between a full hardwood, and fruit softwoods.

I would be very interested in trying almond at some point. I'm thinking nut woods in general might just be my jam. I've heard tell that chicken smoked on peanut shells is the bomb.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

Do I need to clean the inside of my Masterbuilt electric smoker after EVERY cook, like the instructions say?

No, I only clean the water pan and clean out the ashes from the chip tray. Once in a while I will scrap the racks if there is something stuck to them like chunks of chicken or something. If it has been idle for a while I usually do an hour burn at highest temp to kill any mold that may have grown inside. I try not to let it sit without using for too long though. :)

I cleaned everything a couple times when I first started and it was a pain and made a huge mess. If you watch any BBQ shows or competitions their pits are caked with soot/grease/whatever. It is the "seasoning" of the smoker.

Zaepho
Oct 31, 2013

Trip Report: Franklin BBQ, Austin, TX (put this on your bucket list)

There be Meat Mountain! Approach it at yer own peril!

Headed out to Austin for my friend's 40th birthday. Goal: Beer and BBQ. We found lots of both but top of the list was to hit Franklin BBQ, survive the live and walk (or waddle) away stuffed with meaty goodness.

Op Success! We walked away happy, stuffed and with BBQ to take home.

Turkey: The real standout here was the Turkey. Never have I had turkey this moist especially not smoked. Seasoning complemented but didn't overpower the bird.
Sausage: Meh. It's good but not a huge standout. Wouldn't bother ordering it again.
Pulled Pork: Flavorful and juicy. Wasn't drowned in sauce like many others. I would say it was slightly overdone (not mushy by any means) and could have had just a little more "tooth" to it.
Ribs: oddly little color on the outside, but they were foil wrapped so they may have been foiled the majority of the time. Flavor was very good and it didn't fall off the bone. Apparently Aaron's been doing this a while and doesn't bother to cater to the backyard rib masters and their disintegrating ribs.
Brisket: We got lean because some jackass (lucky bastard) further ahead in the line ordered 25 pounds of moist and they ran out about 45 minutes before we hit the counter. The lean was as moist as most places moist. Very flavorful, again the rub complemented but didn't overpower the meat itself. The slices pulled apart and had a very narrow but extremely dark smoke ring.

We ordered about 10 pounds total, and they dropped extra on everything due to the whole No Moist "debacle". For those who care to hit this place up yourselves. Go early, the line starts around 0600 on Saturdays (the second guy in line showed up at 0615 this weekend). We showed up at about 9 (we might have been drinking the previous night) and there were a few hundred people ahead of us. The only thing they ran out of by the time we hit the counter to order was the Beef Ribs and the Moist brisket. The entire time we were in line, staff was trolling the line talking to people, letting them know what was up and when they would eat. Once you were on the property, they were even selling beer/cider/sodas. Shortly after we lined up, we were told 1445 to 1500 would be what time we were eating. We set down at the table at 1450. These guys know their poo poo and everyone that was told they would get food, got food. Several groups were warned "You can stay in line, but you're probably not going to get anything, and if you do it'll probably be sausage". They all elected to bow out.

Aside from the Turkey, the line management was the biggest surprise of all. if you at all get the opportunity, it's worth it to deal with the wait if for nothing else but the experience.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Oh man, I am so sorry about them being out of moist. It really is the far and away best thing there.

Franklin is every bit as good as the hype, and really is a destination-worthy joint.

HolyDukeNukem
Sep 10, 2008

Went there one day in October at like noon. Ended up at the counter by 3. Got flat since my mom isn't a fan of fatty cuts of meat (don't ask me, I don't understand). Sadly, they were out of turkey, but the brisket is so drat good. I think I've gotten close on my smoker, but it's so weird to go to a restaurant and get such fantastic quality smoked food. I love that they allow BYOB and just are really chill about the lines.

Everyone should go to Austin because it's a fantastic city, but you have to go to Franklin's. It is worth the praise!

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Mueller's second trailer was close, but yeah. It's great.

lol at the best thing being turkey though. That's crazy talk, moist or no moist

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

If you didn't see my recommendation a little ways back in the thread, I highly recommend reading Aaron Franklin's book. Great insight to how he cooks and the reasons behind. Talks about the history of his BBQ joint and how it plays into his cooks. Really a fantastic read.

Zaepho
Oct 31, 2013

sellouts posted:

lol at the best thing being turkey though. That's crazy talk, moist or no moist

Turkey was the standout. Not particularly the best just the most surprising. I've had good smoked turkey before but this was an entirely different level than that stuff. The Brisket was absolutely on point and would be my top pick for best thing there.

vulturesrow posted:

If you didn't see my recommendation a little ways back in the thread, I highly recommend reading Aaron Franklin's book. Great insight to how he cooks and the reasons behind. Talks about the history of his BBQ joint and how it plays into his cooks. Really a fantastic read.

I do recall seeing that mentioned and is most certainly on my list to pick up for my next business trip. Gotta do something on the plane and in the airport when flights are inevitably delayed.

all in all, this has encouraged me to seal up the smoker and start smoking more lovely meat

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

The turkey is great, though personally I prefer the ribs. His book, as said, is fantastic, and you can get him to sign it worth zero hassle too, if that's your thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inovius
Apr 7, 2010
I'm making a trip down there at the end of April specifically to hit Franklin (and then a few other's as well). Can't wait to just gorge and try everything!