Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Guy DeBorgore posted:

They're not proposing a federally-administered carbon tax, just a rule that each province has to establish a carbon price of $15/tonne in whatever way they want (carbon tax or cap-and-trade). The provinces would still get control over the revenue, so if Brad Wall is so concerned about imposing a new tax then he could just use the revenue to offset another tax like PST, making the whole thing revenue-neutral. His concern about a "new tax on the economy" is pure dissembling, the real reason he opposes it is a further down in the article:

Right but what I don't understand is how the federal government makes a rule that all the provinces have to follow. There's got to be some carrot or stick involved otherwise provinces will opt out. What mechanism is the federal government going to use to compel all provinces to bring in a carbon tax?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

PT6A posted:

Loss of hope and life? gently caress this over dramatic son of a whore. I hope they try something retarded like Sovereign Citizen nonsense and take a few truncheons to the testicles and face.

What a normal thing to say

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

mindofme posted:

https://twitter.com/willmimi/status/700730517562515456

Kudatah is happening. And its more hilarious than we could have ever thought.

Isn't there a wildlife refuge these folks could go occupy for a while?

E: beaten

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

PK loving SUBBAN posted:

I though that's what happened to Fort Mac.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Femtosecond posted:

Right but what I don't understand is how the federal government makes a rule that all the provinces have to follow. There's got to be some carrot or stick involved otherwise provinces will opt out. What mechanism is the federal government going to use to compel all provinces to bring in a carbon tax?

Sunny ways.

(This has always been the achilles' heel of the LPC policy. They could tax carbon just in Saskatchewan if they wanted, but it's unclear that they'd pull the trigger.)

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

PK loving SUBBAN posted:

It's a problem-free philosophy.
Alberta Kudatah.

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
The Peoples Wal-Mart rebellion is just gaining steam! Just you wait! First, Wal-mart!

Then the entire downtown core!

Vi va la KUDATAH!

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Professor Shark posted:

What a normal thing to say

People look only at the downsides of police brutality too much, IMO.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!

PT6A posted:

People look only at the downsides of police brutality too much, IMO.

I was going to say 'new thread title' but this isn't the BLM or American Politics thread.

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003
So the Kudatah people just uh...joined the NDP? And the plan is to vote at the AGM and vote out Notley? I mean, I guess I can see where they're coming form, but that's pretty unlikely to work isn't it? Doesn't it sort of cheapen the democratic process?
And the NDP have the 'You affirm you don't belong to any other party' rule, but that can't be enforceable.

Today has been confusing.

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Courage, my friends; 'tis not too late to build a better world.
I heard a rumour about a Chinese company buying Bombardier for $2.2 billion. Is someone just talking out his rear end? Because I'm pretty sure that's what's going on.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Antioch posted:

So the Kudatah people just uh...joined the NDP? And the plan is to vote at the AGM and vote out Notley? I mean, I guess I can see where they're coming form, but that's pretty unlikely to work isn't it? Doesn't it sort of cheapen the democratic process?
And the NDP have the 'You affirm you don't belong to any other party' rule, but that can't be enforceable.

The "you can't belong to any other party" rule isn't enforceable, no.

Even if they succeed in forcing out the leader of the NDP, they can't force the government caucus to lose confidence in the Premier.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

David Corbett posted:

I heard a rumour about a Chinese company buying Bombardier for $2.2 billion. Is someone just talking out his rear end? Because I'm pretty sure that's what's going on.

Uhhh where did you read this??

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Pinterest Mom posted:

The "you can't belong to any other party" rule isn't enforceable, no.

Even if they succeed in forcing out the leader of the NDP, they can't force the government caucus to lose confidence in the Premier.

If your political party is so weak that a couple dozen/hundred loons can troll vote out your leader, you probably weren't winning any elections anyways.

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Courage, my friends; 'tis not too late to build a better world.

CLAM DOWN posted:

Uhhh where did you read this??

Nowhere reliable. Like I said, probably just someone talking out his rear end.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Are the Toronto police literally retarded? I would argue "yes":

http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/canada/toronto/man-arrested-go-bus-murder-investigation-1.3455065

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
Hey, it's Roll up the Rim season and those lines at Timmies get kinda ridiculous! Can't be helped if the cruiser took a bit to get there.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Unequivocally yes.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

PT6A posted:

Oh hey look: Calgary is being pants on head retarded again, refusing to follow Edmonton's eminently reasonable example with regards to Uber.

http://t.uber.com/YYCBylaw

gently caress Nenshi and gently caress the City of Calgary. The regulations don't even address the very real problems with Uber like tax collection and employee exploitation anyway!

Counter point:

http://t.uber.com/YYCBylaw

Oh look Uber is being a big whiny bitch again.

Let's take every negotiating point and run to twitter and email bomb everyone every week about bullshit.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
My mom continues in her quest to become the stereotypical old person by announcing to me yesterday that Tim Hortons makes it impossible for Canadians to win the big roll up the rim prizes, they make sure they all go to America to increase their market share over there, and that a guy in New Brunswick won one of the big prizes (she never, ever even goes to Tim Hortons so doesn't even know what they are) and someone at the prize company got fired because they weren't supposed to set it up so Canadians won the good prizes.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
THE HATE CRIME DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

HookShot posted:

My mom continues in her quest to become the stereotypical old person by announcing to me yesterday that Tim Hortons makes it impossible for Canadians to win the big roll up the rim prizes, they make sure they all go to America to increase their market share over there, and that a guy in New Brunswick won one of the big prizes (she never, ever even goes to Tim Hortons so doesn't even know what they are) and someone at the prize company got fired because they weren't supposed to set it up so Canadians won the good prizes.

I look forwards to seeing the email about this when I get home

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Not as bad as three cops taking one their colleagues to a hotel and gang raping her.

http://www.citynews.ca/2016/02/19/exclusive-new-details-surface-in-sex-assault-allegations-against-3-police-officers/

Toronto Police have serious problems.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

Antioch posted:

After years of preaching the values of entryism to this thread I'm so glad to see my ideas are finally catching on. I feel so vindicated right now. :ussr:

flakeloaf posted:

It's a problem-free philosophy.
Alberta Kudatah.

:lol:

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

PK loving SUBBAN posted:

Not as bad as three cops taking one their colleagues to a hotel and gang raping her.

http://www.citynews.ca/2016/02/19/exclusive-new-details-surface-in-sex-assault-allegations-against-3-police-officers/

Toronto Police have serious problems.

Stop with the police hating, it's not like they systematically execute the unarmed or people that do not pose a threat or anything. Like really, next thing you'll be telling me is they plant cocaine on the dash of a car they pulled over without cause. They might even run a racket where they shake down known drug dealers, get charged with perjury and serve no time at all.

You should be grateful when they stop you in place and demand identification without cause on the basis it prevents crime, civilian

Wasting
Apr 25, 2013

The next to go

David Corbett posted:

Nowhere reliable. Like I said, probably just someone talking out his rear end.

There was an offer for Bombardier Transportation (half the company) from the Chinese, last year, which, after paying for all their debts, would have left something like that valuation.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

I didn't know this about Daniel Johnson: former PLQ Premier, Couillard's campaign manager during the last election, head of the transition team, and informal advisor since, is also on Bombardier's board.

Both Johnson and the Premier's office deny there's a conflict of interest there.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Pinterest Mom posted:

I didn't know this about Daniel Johnson: former PLQ Premier, Couillard's campaign manager during the last election, head of the transition team, and informal advisor since, is also on Bombardier's board.

Both Johnson and the Premier's office deny there's a conflict of interest there.

It's not a conflict of interest, it's a harmony of interest or an interest accord.

Enjoy this half-substantial, half-puffy piece about how Hamilton is ready for a post-steel economic boom, which has some evidence of an economic resurgence but is mostly a collection of anecdotes like:

quote:

National Steel Car, which makes railroad cargo containers, laid off 520 workers just before Christmas when it shut its oil tanker line due to a slowdown in orders. But 300 of those workers have been recalled to work instead on two additional freight lines where orders are picking up, partly thanks to a low dollar. It expects to have all of the workers back by March and even plans to hire.

Okay well if Ontario posts surprisingly good job numbers 6 months from now then you can quote this again.

(trigger warning: gourmet grilled cheese; possible future gentrification:)

quote:

But now an increasing number of Toronto developers and families are ready to invest in Hamilton’s skyrocketing, but much more affordable, real estate market.

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich
My wife and I looked into this affordable Hamilton market last year and discovered a few things:

1) The GO service sucks. These promised trains every 15 minutes are still just some future government promise, and proximity to the GO station was already priced into homes. This means commuting to Toronto is still a pipe dream.

2) It's still Hamilton. It smells like a mix of a slaughter house and an oil refinery. There were empty storefronts everywhere, and we struggled to find a place for dinner at 5pm on a Sunday.

3) The affordable housing is not as cheap as one might expect for a town with no jobs.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
I can accept that Hamilton smells like poo, and that housing is expensive... But a lack of restaurants and eateries is not a problem Hamilton has.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

Goddamnit, and I'm planning on moving to Hamilton in a few months.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Hamilton is a city that isn't a super great place to 'just go check out' because it isn't geared to tourism at all so you kinda gotta know the lay of the land a bit to have a good time. I really enjoyed living there, though. There is tons of great restaraunts, or at least there were when I lived there, but you kinda had to know what and where to look.

That being said, ya, good luck finding a house for sale anywhere close to the GO station and god help you if you decide you're going to try to commute to it from anywhere that's still considered affordable in the city.

I still think the best way to deal with the current commuting and housing issues in the GTA is to abandon the place all together. It is never ever going to get better.

EDIT: If anyone wants Thai in Hamilton, My-Thai Restaurant is still open, apparently, and it is the greatest Thai I've ever eaten anywhere ever in the history of me eating Thai food.

EvilJoven fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Feb 20, 2016

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

EvilJoven posted:

Hamilton is a city that isn't a super great place to 'just go check out' because it isn't geared to tourism at all so you kinda gotta know the lay of the land a bit to have a good time. I really enjoyed living there, though. There is tons of great restaraunts, or at least there were when I lived there, but you kinda had to know what and where to look.

That being said, ya, good luck finding a house for sale anywhere close to the GO station and god help you if you decide you're going to try to commute to it from anywhere that's still considered affordable in the city.

I still think the best way to deal with the current commuting and housing issues in the GTA is to abandon the place all together. It is never ever going to get better.

Well, I'm looking at renting just so I can be closer to my job on the west side and live in a place that's a) not with my parents, and b) with some actual life in it.

I should probably go post this in the Hamilton meet-up thread.

Yeast Confection
Oct 7, 2005
The best situation in Hamilton is to have a job and live here. If you're looking at Hamilton as a place to live while your job is in Toronto, you're gonna be disappointed.
I rent a nice downtown apartment and enjoy a 7 minute bus ride to work. It doesn't get any better for me.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
For what it's worth I'm quite happy living in Hamilton. I live in the downtown core and the smell is really only bothersome a couple days a year when the wind is unfortunate. It's worse as you go north and east though.

It's dense enough that you get many of the amenities of a large city but without the claustrophobia inducing skyscraper jungle of Toronto. Mind you, this opinion comes from someone who previously lived in St. John's (110k) and Glovertown (2.2k) so I don't have much of a frame of reference for larger Canadian cities.

mojo1701a posted:

Well, I'm looking at renting just so I can be closer to my job on the west side and live in a place that's a) not with my parents, and b) with some actual life in it.

I should probably go post this in the Hamilton meet-up thread.

There's a Hamilton meetup thread? :O

PoizenJam fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Feb 20, 2016

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

Ashley Madison posted:

The best situation in Hamilton is to have a job and live here. If you're looking at Hamilton as a place to live while your job is in Toronto, you're gonna be disappointed.
I rent a nice downtown apartment and enjoy a 7 minute bus ride to work. It doesn't get any better for me.

The year I managed to live in Hamilton and have a good job I could walk to was the greatest poo poo ever. The rest of my time there included commutes to Toronto and Burlington by transit and Missisauga by car. That was unbearable misery.

EDIT: ha I was about to recommend the apartment building I lived in to Mojo but apparently after I moved out of Hamilton it got infested with bedbugs. Welp.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
You know there's a housing bubble when people want to live in Hamilton

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
This just in, Hamilton rules and you're a douche. Tune in at 11 for details.

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

EvilJoven posted:

This just in, Hamilton rules and you're a douche. Tune in at 11 for details.

Tune in where? CHCH just went bankrupt.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
I live in 125 Wellington under Greenwin management... The renovations are nice but it's very much a lipstick-on-a-pig situation. Cockroaches are somewhat of a guarantee and you can probably count on a bedbug issue at least once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

JVNO posted:

Cockroaches are somewhat of a guarantee and you can probably count on a bedbug issue at least once.

Sounds like such a lovely place to live, I'm jealous.