Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr Hemulen
Jan 25, 2003

thespaceinvader posted:

That is so loving 40k

Yeah, but in a good way for once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Mango Polo posted:

The magus owns. The Cultists are the clear winners, model-wise. The deathwatch looks so... boring.

Lol, the "Vidya" on the Blood Raven scroll.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
I'd totally lost interest in 40K due to the insane release schedule. Stealer Cults are the only thing that could bring me back. I hope they aren't just in that boxed set though, they need a proper Harlequin release with a small dex. They also need a Patriarch, I don't get why they have been retconned out of existence.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.

Lungboy posted:

I'd totally lost interest in 40K due to the insane release schedule. Stealer Cults are the only thing that could bring me back. I hope they aren't just in that boxed set though, they need a proper Harlequin release with a small dex. They also need a Patriarch, I don't get why they have been retconned out of existence.

Aren't Patriarchs just Broodlords that haven't gotten skinny yet? (Like, aren't they literally the exact same thing?)

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Lungboy posted:

I assume they've just been replaced with the Broodlord.

I really like the models featured, even the silly deathwatch dudes. But $165 is a lot to spend on a board game I will never play.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Sulecrist posted:

Aren't Patriarchs just Broodlords that haven't gotten skinny yet? (Like, aren't they literally the exact same thing?)

The Broodlord always felt like a watered down version, a squad sergeant for Purestrains rather than the head honcho HQ level badass.

WINNERSH TRIANGLE
Aug 17, 2011

SHITE
WAR

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Lungboy posted:

The Magus description in the WD issue mentions Patriarchs, so I don't think they have. I hope Limos are gone though, those were dumb. I can see miners riding around in Technicals though, or something like the Elysian drop troop buggies.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
Limos were dumb but thematically cool, and good for conversions.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

As much as I want to treat my inner 17-year old self to GS cultists, $165 is loving nuts.

That said, it'll probably be on clearance by Easter.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

moths posted:

As much as I want to treat my inner 17-year old self to GS cultists, $165 is loving nuts.

That said, it'll probably be on clearance by Easter.

I fully expect most people to be buying the boxes for the DW models, and so to see a tons of cultists on ebay.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

ijyt posted:

The Magus description in the WD issue mentions Patriarchs, so I don't think they have. I hope Limos are gone though, those were dumb. I can see miners riding around in Technicals though, or something like the Elysian drop troop buggies.

Really, really love those Elysian buggies. (Tauros . . . es? Taurosises? Taurosies?) But god drat it's about a £ per point-in-game, for something that's not even good in the game, which I barely play anymore. Sweet models though.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!
For those of you who just want the deathwatch, I'm happy to split a box.

But with a 20% discount it is less awful in pricing.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

The top one isn't great but the other 2 are pretty swish, where are they from?

Enentol
Jul 16, 2005
Middle Class Gangster
Looks like this one got missed from the original image dump:

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

Lungboy posted:

The top one isn't great but the other 2 are pretty swish, where are they from?

Wargame Exclusive, your one stop place for all things covered in tits.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Ohhhhh my, that's a bit of a sexy Patriarch.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender
Glad I figured wrong about the Broodlord

One thing I do like about the Deathwatch models is that it immediately gives 10 chapters an easy-to-convert champion/character model.

TheChirurgeon fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Feb 20, 2016

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord
Goddamn I'm loving everything about this. Can't wait for their rules to be overcosted garbage. :smith:

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

PierreTheMime posted:

Goddamn I'm loving everything about this. Can't wait for their rules to be overcosted garbage. :smith:

You're assuming they will even get rules for outside of the boxed game.

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

Do these GW board games have Dark Vengeance style snap fits or normal sprues?

Proletariat Beowulf
Jan 7, 2007
I wish meat screamed as I ate it.

Uroboros posted:

So I played against the Dark Angels version of the Gladius. I was able to handle it with my Ultras, but how in the gently caress is an assault oriented army supposed to stand a chance against such an outrageous rule as the whole detachment firing at full BS on over watch? I assume the answer is "they don't" but still talk about silly. I assume Orks just auto lose as they get walked over by regular ole tacticals.

Lord Twisted posted:

Firing at full BS on overwatch is just insane. 'What's that? You want to employ the one strength of your army which your entire battle plan is focused around? No. Let me get a free round of damage utilising my strongest damage type first. Then I get to hit you in CC.'

My wife's DA have, to date, never beaten da Boyz; we haven't played with this new codex, however, and I dread it.

It makes me question the fundamental cognitive capacity of GW rules-writers: assault is clearly underpowered compared to shooting, so do they understand that? Do they acknowledge that because shooting is so imbalanced, and because you can't fire into CC, they somehow also believe that CC is broken, since it's a hard-counter to their preferred combat method? And do they therefore follow with this line of "thinking" that assault-oriented armies are somehow the truly overpowered ones, since all of their units will be dedicated to stop the opponents' shooting? :psypop: 25 point Power Klawz & 27 point bikes & believing Nobz are a good unit they should push & eliminating assault from Deepstrike unless you're Space Marysuerines makes so much more sense now.

The counter to this despair is, in knowing my enemies, I may homebrew the solution based on not-pretzel logic.

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

Mango Polo posted:

Wargame Exclusive, your one stop place for all things covered in tits.

Some of these are so ridiculous (tau tits...), but that one-armed cigar-chomping Tau veteran is legit badass.

Proletariat Beowulf
Jan 7, 2007

GuardianOfAsgaard posted:

Some of these are so ridiculous (tau tits...), but that one-armed cigar-chomping Tau veteran is legit badass.

Just wait until you find the Necrons with robo-tits & Mechanicus model with puffy vulva. :smugissar:

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT

Proletariat Beowulf posted:

My wife's DA have, to date, never beaten da Boyz; we haven't played with this new codex, however, and I dread it.

It makes me question the fundamental cognitive capacity of GW rules-writers: assault is clearly underpowered compared to shooting, so do they understand that? Do they acknowledge that because shooting is so imbalanced, and because you can't fire into CC, they somehow also believe that CC is broken, since it's a hard-counter to their preferred combat method? And do they therefore follow with this line of "thinking" that assault-oriented armies are somehow the truly overpowered ones, since all of their units will be dedicated to stop the opponents' shooting? :psypop: 25 point Power Klawz & 27 point bikes & believing Nobz are a good unit they should push & eliminating assault from Deepstrike unless you're Space Marysuerines makes so much more sense now.

The counter to this despair is, in knowing my enemies, I may homebrew the solution based on not-pretzel logic.

I want to say they are aware and the pendulum is slowly swinging back to the assault (looking at space wolves) but we havnt seen a codex updated that isn't one of the "good" guys in a while, so who knows if it's an exception or the start of a trend.
I'm guessing it's a complete accident.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Enentol posted:

Looks like this one got missed from the original image dump:

poo poo yeah. I fully expected this thing to just be the plastic broodlord from a while back. It's not an old, fat genestealer on a throne, but it'll do.

Proletariat Beowulf
Jan 7, 2007

Hencoe posted:

I want to say they are aware and the pendulum is slowly swinging back to the assault (looking at space wolves) but we havnt seen a codex updated that isn't one of the "good" guys in a while, so who knows if it's an exception or the start of a trend.
I'm guessing it's a complete accident.

I do suppose that I ought not ascribe to malice what clearly resulted from incompetence, except that their incompetence is either thoughtful or thoughtless; but the prevalence of game-wrecking hamstrings in the Ork and Tyranid codices are too significant & consistently awful to ignore.

That said, take a look at all the poo poo the Wulfen get that makes them into a viable assault unit: two or three different mobility-boosting attributes or buffs, dirt-cheap wargear, AP2 everywhere, superior Initiative, buff bubble, and a list of unique and stolen :smith: assault-boosting special rules longer than the OJ trial.

Meanwhile, what makes a good shooting unit? High BS, Twin-Linked, maybe Rapid Fire, long range, high S. Low AP hardly even factors in since shooting is so safe by comparison, but when it does, it's devastating to the targets.

ThNextGreenLantern
Feb 13, 2012
Deathwatch: Space Marines vs The Patriarchy.

There's an 85% chance I'm going to buy this. I really like Deathwatch and fancy character models.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
You're forgetting that wulfen are SPACE MARINES and therefore HEROES that your Xenos should be honoured to play cinematic second fiddle to.

spacegoat
Dec 23, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nap Ghost
After playing for 20 years and waiting nearly that long for Genestealer Cults to make a comeback, then seeing the quality of these sculpts, I feel I should be excited about this. Hell, I want to be excited about this. Is there a German word for this feeling?

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Just got done playing a pretty good 1000pts game. We decided to shake things up and tried a Guild Ball-esque activation system instead of the usual player turns. Despite some awkwardness with Psychic powers and Reserves it turned out to be a fair bit of fun. Don't think I'd like it in anything larger than 1000pts, but it did make decisions much more tactical.

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

spacegoat posted:

After playing for 20 years and waiting nearly that long for Genestealer Cults to make a comeback, then seeing the quality of these sculpts, I feel I should be excited about this. Hell, I want to be excited about this. Is there a German word for this feeling?

Wahrscheinliche enttäuschung.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Safety Factor posted:

poo poo yeah. I fully expected this thing to just be the plastic broodlord from a while back. It's not an old, fat genestealer on a throne, but it'll do.

It's like, the third broodlord they came out with that is basically in the exact same pose. Only this time it uses the blood angels big arms with the spacehulk little arms. And random spikes.

Shallow
Feb 9, 2005

Where is Buffalo Chicken? I need to know he hasn't literally exploded.

Also gently caress this poo poo I was so close to swearing off this crap forever but I need those hybrids. NEED. So they can sit untouched in the box forever.

Hustlin Floh
Jul 20, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ijyt posted:

Lol, the "Vidya" on the Blood Raven scroll.

http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Azariah_Vidya

BuffaloChicken
May 18, 2008

Shallow posted:

Where is Buffalo Chicken? I need to know he hasn't literally exploded.

Also gently caress this poo poo I was so close to swearing off this crap forever but I need those hybrids. NEED. So they can sit untouched in the box forever.
Not literally, but figuratively. I'm gonna Give GW Money for the first time in a while. Hopefully splitting the box with TheChirurgeon.

Also have some painted minis to post here soon (Calvin & Hobbes, the goofy dino-rider, and a gaggle of buffalo chickens).

JackMack
Nov 3, 2007

Lord Twisted posted:

Firing at full BS on overwatch is just insane. 'What's that? You want to employ the one strength of your army which your entire battle plan is focused around? No. Let me get a free round of damage utilising my strongest damage type first. Then I get to hit you in CC.'

I met this first in a tournament. It was a guy that was famously awful with the old codex who had brought the gladius formation or whatever to a special mission tournament. As such I was relying on a couple of units of Death Company and all the way through the early turns he kept chuckling to himself about the 'big surprise' he had in store. I knew what it was but did point out the acknowledged thing to do was explain your army's rules rather than spring them on people when it mattered. As such my depleted death company suffered most at the hands of Grav to this rule.

As part of the special rules any vehicles were placed in reserve, it was loving awesome to have two turns of competitive play before a dozen Razorbacks which he didn't have to pay points for turned up to play loving shooting gallery. This was actually the turning point for me and this game. I looked up at the fifty percent space marines armies in the tournament and thought about just leaving. I barely ever won before the newer changes but the gulf in rules power on top of the freebies available for some means it wasn't even entertaining to play.

I will probably snag the cultists off eBay for inflated prices rather than the box set for inflated prices. I am a little bit wary that, with repeats of the sculpts you are not actually getting very much for your money. If anyone wants to trade their cultist for space marines stuff that I have never got round to using I have multiple vindicators, a land raider and a pile of metal miniatures that I am looking to get rid of! (UK Btw)

JackMack fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Feb 20, 2016

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
Are there any Stealer Cult rules for Necromunda? In Citadel Journal perhaps?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
The cult minis look awesome, but this being GW I'll probably go by the AoS principle of "The rules are poo poo so I'll just buy 4 different cult models to paint"

• Locked thread