Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

IRONKNUCKLE PERMABANNED! READ HERE
Also, ATP complete!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
:toot:

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Airline Pilot Central is such a poo poo forum. Everyone who posts there must have high blood pressure.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Most aviation specific forums are poo poo. It is generally the most uptight group of backseat driving flying assholes I've ever seen.

This thread is good, therefore, I stick with it. The AOPA members group on facebook isn't terrible.

VOR LOC
Dec 8, 2007
captured
You need to hit up pro pilot world dawg. Much better signal to noise ratio but sometimes the forums superstars get a little too obnoxious. Plus you need to pay to play but you're posting here so I guess you're not adverse to that.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:
%95 of the people on APC are pretty chill and are generally good posters. The problem is that it's the other %5 that makes %95 of the posts.

On an unrelated note it was a slightly breezy day in Chicago today: KORD 192051Z 25036G54KT 10SM OVC044 12/03 A2955 RMK AO2 PK WND 25054/2046

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous

KodiakRS posted:

%95 of the people on APC are pretty chill and are generally good posters. The problem is that it's the other %5 that makes %95 of the posts.

On an unrelated note it was a slightly breezy day in Chicago today: KORD 192051Z 25036G54KT 10SM OVC044 12/03 A2955 RMK AO2 PK WND 25054/2046

I think the highest I saw at my home airport during my 5 years there was something G68

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Are there any Ontario private/recreational pilots in this thread? Thinking of starting to take some lessons.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

zapplez posted:

Are there any Ontario private/recreational pilots in this thread? Thinking of starting to take some lessons.

I think bunnyofdoom is in Ontario, yes. I got my license in Calgary, so I can answer any questions that are country-specific but not province-specific.

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

Even in zero gravity, you're an asshole.

Animal posted:

Angry Pilot Central is such a poo poo forum. Everyone who posts there must have high blood pressure.

Fixed it for you, I usually read it for the entertainment value and to see which latest airline rumors are the most hilarious.

Also congrats on the checkride successes, it gives me hope when I have to go to recurrent in April and renew my CFI in May :gonk:

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

zapplez posted:

Yo. Fly outta cyow.

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
I always call it "airline pilots crying", personally.

helno
Jun 19, 2003

hmm now were did I leave that plane

zapplez posted:

I'm over in Southwestern Ontario. CYKM

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

While I admit that I've never read Pro Pilot World, I can say without any doubt that this thread has the best posting by professional pilots compared to, well, everywhere else.

And as bad as APC is, it's nothing compared to PPRuNe.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
On the GA side Pilots of America is always fun.

It's reckless to fly if it's windy and not CAVU.
-PoA

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
When the pilot group at my airline had to vote on a new contract, watching the APC thread about it was hilarious. We have a secret Facebook group that a lot of the non-management pilots are part of, and the discussions on there occasionally got a little heated, but people generally did a good job of maintaining civil discussions about the merits (or lack thereof) of the contract.

The APC thread on the other hand was mostly variations of "RECORD PROFITS, NO CONCESSIONS!", "gently caress MANAGEMENT/SKYWEST!", and "YES VOTERS ARE ALL PUSSIES!", with zero actual discussion going on, and lots of e-wiener waving.

Once the voting closed (with the contract being accepted by 69% of the voters), the Facebook discussions continued to be pretty civil (aside from two people who are now going around slapping "31%" stickers in the airplanes, while the APC discussion was still "YOU'RE ALL PUSSIES!", and accusations that we'd all been sold out by the union.

azflyboy fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Feb 21, 2016

ausgezeichnet
Sep 18, 2005

In my country this is definitely not offensive!
Nap Ghost

MrChips posted:

While I admit that I've never read Pro Pilot World, I can say without any doubt that this thread has the best posting by professional pilots compared to, well, everywhere else.

And as bad as APC is, it's nothing compared to PPRuNe.

PPW tilts towards Corporate/Charter, though it has some decent airline and ex-airline folks (like me). Dicks get ample opportunities to straighten out and self-policing is fairly effective... with a few notable exceptions. I know the guy who started and still runs it and he does a good job. It's easily worth $12.50 a year.

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
6 month recurrent sim tomorrow. I can't believe it's already been 6 months.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Epic Flight Academy and Trans States announced a cadet program.

http://epicflightacademy.com/airline-pilot-career-sponsorship/

Them thar fandangled cadet programs are the wave of the future. Do you still get the Amazon gift card if you're picked, though?

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

To the surprise of almost no one, RAH has filed chapter 11. To the pilots of RAH, you guys did the industry a huge favor in fighting for your current contract. You stood up for the industry and are about to get screwed for doing so. You have my sincere condolences.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-02-25/republic-airways-files-for-bankruptcy-protection-in-new-york

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

KodiakRS posted:

To the surprise of almost no one, RAH has filed chapter 11. To the pilots of RAH, you guys did the industry a huge favor in fighting for your current contract. You stood up for the industry and are about to get screwed for doing so. You have my sincere condolences.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-02-25/republic-airways-files-for-bankruptcy-protection-in-new-york

Had I stuck with it, PSA and RAH were going to be my first two picks for geographical/potential domicile reasons.

One wound up a pariah for "selling out", the other went bankrupt because the pilots fought the contract.

Comair would've been on the list, too, but we saw what happened there.

e- I guess "fought for the contract" isn't exactly the way to say that.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Feb 26, 2016

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
Depending on whether RAH can renegotiate their CPA contracts with mainline carriers, this could be the beginning of the end for them.

Past regional bankruptcies have generally happened in bad times for airlines as a whole, but if RAH guts their new contract now, there's no way they'll be able to attract new pilots when every other regional out there is offering signing and retention bonuses in addition to not being bankrupt.

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

Even in zero gravity, you're an asshole.
That's sickening. Not just because the pilots at RAH fought hard, but that my management predicted the future correctly, and somehow will manage to pick up the extra flying RAH will inevitably drop in/out of Chicago :barf: Well at least my coworkers who have been sitting reserve on the E175 will probably be busy this summer...

When's the last time we saw a regional collapse? Comair? ASA?

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

ASA never collapsed, its still kicking as the CRJ side of ExpressJet as separate contracts, years after "merging ". I turn my badges in to them today and wave goodbye, nice regional to work for if it wasn't for the slow upgrade.

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered

Butt Reactor posted:

That's sickening. Not just because the pilots at RAH fought hard, but that my management predicted the future correctly, and somehow will manage to pick up the extra flying RAH will inevitably drop in/out of Chicago :barf: Well at least my coworkers who have been sitting reserve on the E175 will probably be busy this summer...

Colgan/pinnacle and lynx

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

greasyhands posted:

Colgan/pinnacle and lynx

Interestingly, four of the Lynx Q400's went to Republic, so this is the second bankruptcy filing for those airframes.

Guess they're cursed or something...

azflyboy fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Feb 27, 2016

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

Bankruptcy 2: Dash 8 Boogaloo

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

It seems like every time a politician is mentioned in this thread, it's either Inhofe or Schumer. I'll let you guess which one wants seat pitch and width regulated and is shoehorning it into the Reauthorization Bill:

http://www.businessinsider.com/senator-schumer-force-airlines-stop-shrinking-size-seats-2016-2

AirwaysNews says an 18.5 seat width would require 737s to be flown in a 3-2 configuration, wrecking their economics. Wasn't he in F when a Congressional staffer heard him call a flight attendant a bitch because he had to turn his cell phone off?

Butt Reactor posted:

I did touch-and-goes at CVG about 6-7 days before the end at Comair in November 2012. Kind of sad hearing their callsign knowing what was happening. :(

e- Come to think of it, the Comair thing and the fact I got to play in the box on 18R in a 172SP both spoke to how far CVG had fallen. The only way you could get in there when I started training was at night, IF the controllers were in a good mood. I was glad to get it in my logbook.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Mar 2, 2016

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I am totally okay with a minimum seat pitch of 30 or 31 inches, because it would allow me to sit without my knees jammed into the seat in front of me. Seat width has never been a particular concern. If anything I wish the seat were a bit narrower and the armrests a bit wider so I didn't have to share a tiny armrest with a guy whose arm-hair makes him look like the missing loving link.

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
El Centro is pretty in the mornings, guys.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Holy crap, that's a nice shot.

I found out yesterday watching one of the local news stations in Florida that Donald Trump has a $100M lawsuit against Palm Beach County because they're allegedly deliberately routing PBI departures right over his mansion. :fuckoff:

PT6A posted:

I am totally okay with a minimum seat pitch of 30 or 31 inches, because it would allow me to sit without my knees jammed into the seat in front of me. Seat width has never been a particular concern. If anything I wish the seat were a bit narrower and the armrests a bit wider so I didn't have to share a tiny armrest with a guy whose arm-hair makes him look like the missing loving link.

I flew Skybus a few times and their double overwing exit-equipped A319s had the worst legroom I've experienced.

The only gripe I can remember having about an armrest was on Chautauqua's ERJs. They had/have some sort of a sticky rubber material on the top of them which, if you slid/slide your arm the wrong way across, pulled your skin.

ausgezeichnet
Sep 18, 2005

In my country this is definitely not offensive!
Nap Ghost

CBJSprague24 posted:

I found out yesterday watching one of the local news stations in Florida that Donald Trump has a $100M lawsuit against Palm Beach County because they're allegedly deliberately routing PBI departures right over his mansion. :fuckoff:

His property is just over two miles directly off PBI's prevailing wind runway, 10L. If the FAA changed the departures even 5* either way, the guy I fly for or one of his friends would sue for more. I am absolutely convinced that, beyond narcissism, Trump wants to be President exclusively so he can plop a TFR over PBI while he's constantly at "The Florida White House". I don't know what the gently caress will happen to operations at PBI if he prevails. Jet Aviation might go out of business. It was bad enough when I was based at MDW and Obama would stay at his house a couple of times a year and shut the airport down. If I have to repo our aircraft to FLL every other week I'm gonna have to find another job.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Here's a video of Matt Lauer working at JFK

Matt Lauer worked in an air traffic control tower - and no one got hurt!

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
8-year-old me definitely cleared a UPS 767 to land at the unnamed airfield where my now-retired dad used to be a tower supe. >.> That must have been weird to hear on the other end.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Unfortunately that sort of thing gets you suspended now.

https://www.cnn.com/2010/TRAVEL/03/03/air.traffic.child

I think it took the union a year to get that controller back to work.

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
At my last job it was interesting because we had a great deal more interaction with controllers and you could tell the good ones from the crappy ones. At the airlines it's far more limited, just climb and descend instructions mostly...

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Heard plenty of feedback while monitoring the final controller today.

American knows exactly how to run a sequence to 3 runways. Or so they'd have you believe.

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
Haha, I don't try to tell controllers how to do their job on the radios, just on the internets.
There are a bunch of fundamental design flaws with Seatac that drive me nuts. Same with SFO. Both airports end up with massive delays when weather moves in. For the amount of traffic that Seatac gets, only being able to effectively run one ILS approach at a time is ridiculous... same with SFO.
Seatac needs effectively a taxiway extension that goes beyond the end of the runway, sort of like 1L/1R at SFO where you can get to 1R without crossing 1L. But it's on a stupid hill. Abandoning that, more space in between the runways, but that's kind of the problem - 16L and 16R can have simultaneous instrument approaches but in low vis they don't cross departures on 16L to get to 16C, so they keep 16L for departures and it just all jams up. SFO.. as we all know, as soon as you can't run visuals to 28L and 28R anymore they have to accept a huge reduction in throughput. Also, when it becomes a tailwind for 28L/28R they get hosed pretty bad as well.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Yeah, the infrastructure just isn't there. And the demand concentrates at peak times throughout the day. There is plenty of room for everyone, just not within a 1 hour time slot.

It's crazy watching three runway finals at DFW filling up, with minimal separation, two departure runways blasting off aircraft nose to tail, and thinking "yep, there really isn't any more room." Then the last planes depart/arrive and there is 10-20 minutes of near silence before it all starts up again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

The Slaughter posted:

Haha, I don't try to tell controllers how to do their job on the radios, just on the internets.
There are a bunch of fundamental design flaws with Seatac that drive me nuts. Same with SFO. Both airports end up with massive delays when weather moves in. For the amount of traffic that Seatac gets, only being able to effectively run one ILS approach at a time is ridiculous... same with SFO.

Seattle was never designed for the amount of traffic it's getting, and the Alaska/Delta dick-waving contest that started in 2014 just made things worse by adding even more flights to the mix. My understanding is that 16R was a huge ordeal to get built (protests over noise meant that it took 14 years from approving the project to opening the runway, and cost $1.2 billion instead of the original $217 million estimate), and since there's physically no room for another runway there, Seatac is stuck with the current layout.

The "battle for Seattle" has also completely overwhelmed the existing international arrivals facility (and the rest of the terminals), so Seatac is generally a terrible place to spend any length of time.

• Locked thread