Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Care to explain what makes you think that? It's a long-running series but it's barely ever had filler.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
The Simpsons, well known for its filler episodes

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Captain Invictus posted:

Care to explain what makes you think that? It's a long-running series but it's barely ever had filler.

It is too long vs the actual quality of the series.

Like, I enjoy One Piece but in the same amount of time you could read all of Kakukaku Shikajika, Vinland Saga, Berserk, Gunka no Baltzar, Yona of the Dawn, and a number of other series that are infinitely better.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Captain Invictus posted:

I got the first volume of GTO a really long time ago at a discount book store but never got around to the rest of the series, I hear it goes some really, really dumb places later on. Like, Happy Days-level nonsense shenanigans, does it jump the shark at a point like I've heard, or what?

Things... happen in GTO. There's Heihachi, the 98th opponent when Onizuka said he could defeat 100 high school students in arm wrestling consecutively.

The ending's not bad, though, and there's a series of good conclusions to the various plotlines. The animosity with the vice principal is concluded especially well. But a lot of the stories near the end revolve around how badly he wants to sleep with teenage girls, and all the sequels to GTO don't go anywhere or do anything besides remind you of the original.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Improbable Lobster posted:

The Simpsons, well known for its filler episodes

Well, if we were to take your comment literally it would mean One Piece was an incredibly good series that became a pastiche of itself eventually, rehashing old jokes and pulling stupid publicity stunts to stay relevant.

i mean that does describe a lot of long-running poo poo to a t, publicity stunts aside

Rodyle posted:

Eh, but unless it actually went to poo poo somewhere down the line, that shouldn't be much of a problem, should it? I mean, maybe from a time management perspective it is, hehe, but that would be more of a problem if you were trying to get into it now.

Dias fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Feb 20, 2016

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Also colorized manga, like colorized B&W film nearly always looks terrible, unless a page is specifically meant to be colored in from the start it clashes terribly. Even Araki can't do it well and unlike a lot of manga artists he actually totally can use colors well.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Mystic Mongol posted:

Things... happen in GTO. There's Heihachi, the 98th opponent when Onizuka said he could defeat 100 high school students in arm wrestling consecutively.

The ending's not bad, though, and there's a series of good conclusions to the various plotlines. The animosity with the vice principal is concluded especially well. But a lot of the stories near the end revolve around how badly he wants to sleep with teenage girls, and all the sequels to GTO don't go anywhere or do anything besides remind you of the original.
That's a bummer. Sounds like it's got LOGH syndrome then, where everything not related to the base OVA series and the first two movies is inferior in a major way to the original.

Rodyle posted:

Like, I enjoy One Piece but in the same amount of time you could read all of Kakukaku Shikajika, Vinland Saga, Berserk, Gunka no Baltzar, Yona of the Dawn, and a number of other series that are infinitely better.
I'm not saying it's the best manga, dude. I'm just saying it's a very good manga and worth reading. What you're doing is like comparing any TV show to The Wire, or any movie(or video game :v:) to Citizen Kane.

edit:

Rodyle posted:

Also colorized manga, like colorized B&W film nearly always looks terrible, unless a page is specifically meant to be colored in from the start it clashes terribly. Even Araki can't do it well and unlike a lot of manga artists he actually totally can use colors well.
I can totally see where you're coming from, and especially in speed line scenes or scenes with little background/panel-filler, it can be very jarring. But there's also particular scenes(THAT scene from the Marineford War arc immediately springs to mind) where the colored version is incredibly well done.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Feb 20, 2016

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Captain Invictus posted:

I'm not saying it's the best manga, dude. I'm just saying it's a very good manga and worth reading. It's like comparing every TV show to The Wire, or every movie(or video game :v:) to Citizen Kane.

It's more like saying "yes you COULD dedicate yourself to watching the entirety of The Simpsons in chronological order but why not just watch Blackadder instead."

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Rodyle posted:

It's more like saying "yes you COULD dedicate yourself to watching the entirety of The Simpsons in chronological order but why not just watch Blackadder instead."

That's what I would say for Ippo, hehe.

(I don't even dislike Ippo, it's just that it happens to be a perfect example of my issues with anime and manga)

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
OP is the Homestuck of Mangas. It'll never end, it's dragged on for what seems to be an eternity, it's Fans can be very defensive, and it desperately needs an editor to deal with pacing issues but it does have some neat poo poo here and there and isn't the worst way to waste your time.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
You could very easily binge the One Piece manga in a couple weeks with like an hour a day, if that. It's really not that text-heavy a series, and the chapters are 19 pages long. Watching the anime is a different story due to it being 19 minutes rather than 19 pages, which is another reason I tell folks to read the manga.

It's also very good at making its fights entertaining. Even Zoro's fights can be okay sometimes.

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

OP is the Homestuck of Mangas
Now that's a comparison I'd vehemently disagree with!

There's not NEARLY enough fanart, self-insertions or ~tributes~ of one piece to qualify it as similar to homestuck.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Feb 20, 2016

Depths
Apr 15, 2009

SENPAI
This xcom lp is going to be shorter than i thought :v:

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Depths posted:

Alot of peeps say 15, but I say 5 or so. Xcom can be goddamn brutal to newbs.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
I have to be honest I'm kind of struggling to get started on LoGH and I have no clue why. Maybe just intimidated by it not living up to the constant hype.

Also one piece is OK but too long to be worth trudging through.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Depths posted:

It'll either be very short or Nuzlocke 2

Also, did you know that the author of the original Nuzlocke comic was arrested for assaulting a police officer? It's true!

E: XCOM2 could also end up getting close to the end and then failing spectacularly at a relatively easy mission, that is a very real possibility as well.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
The XCOM 2 run can go well if someone told them to ride Grenadiers hard. They break the game so easily.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
I did not expect this Spike Lee Joint to open up with Spike Lee going all Black Cage on us.

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."
We need to get far enough into the XCOM2 LP that Pat gets every bit of the XCOM lore wrong.

In other news, some great fans put this up: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xs8K50uqPAw

ApeHawk fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Feb 20, 2016

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

OP is the Homestuck of Mangas.

This is one of the worst comparisons I've ever seen

The One Piece fandom isn't filled with mentally insane tweens like the Homestuck fandom is

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Literally the first video of NBA 2k, Pat completely gets something wrong that the immediate next cutscene will address.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

This is one of the worst comparisons I've ever seen

The One Piece fandom isn't filled with mentally insane tweens like the Homestuck fandom is

Dude, that's the definition of popular shonen fanbase. It's just diluted because it's not niche.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

This demon basketball game cutscene seems a like a way better game than whatever Spike Lee came up with.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Seriously. Imagine that with the awesome gameplay of NBA Streets or NBA Ballers.
Man I miss EASports BIG.

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

I have a new neighbor. Heard he comes from far away
Instead of letting Invictus ramble on about anime that has nothing to do with SBFP for 3 pages, check out this cool cosplay.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
That's some god wrestles

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Silentman0 posted:

Instead of letting Invictus ramble on about anime that has nothing to do with SBFP for 3 pages, check out this cool cosplay.

Yeah. He came prepared with a couple outfits.

https://twitter.com/MattMcMuscles/status/700789818716860416

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Them's some solid cosplays.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Silentman0 posted:

silentman0 with the slam dunk 3 hours after the discussion was over, would you rather talk about naruto some more, they may be doing an LP of a naruto game but hoo boy, the naruto talk in this thread

I will agree with you though, that is some primo cosplay

I love that he upgraded the skull mask, but only a little bit, the minimal effort, just like Sans do

doos
Jan 1, 2015

Why doesn't every tie-wearing business man wear a $ tie?

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

doos posted:

Why doesn't every tie-wearing business man wear a $ tie?

Because if you're not gonna beat Ted Dibiase why even try?

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

Captain Invictus posted:

I love that he upgraded the skull mask, but only a little bit, the minimal effort, just like Sans do

A real Sans cosplay would just be a blank shirt with "sans" written on it. In sharpie.

Justice Sloth
Jun 10, 2012

Damn skippy.

Is Crymetina Black Canary or am I missing a reference?

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
when the gently caress is this xcom video going up on youtube?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Neo_Crimson posted:

when the gently caress is this xcom video going up on youtube?

Tomorrow.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Pat's reaction to "better humans" may be too strong for non-vessel users to handle

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
First part is also up on vessel for non-subscribers.

Also, the vessel version of the first part of the NBA game has the whole match, which is basically around 20 minutes of woolie doing sorta okay but not really and his team screwing him over at every chance, such as Woolie closing the gap so he's just one point behind and immediately Lee causing a fowl so the other team gets back on the lead with the free shots about five times in a row.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Woolie is just SOAKING UP Pat's Xcom misery

DPM
Feb 23, 2015

TAKE ME HOME
I'LL CHECK YA BUM FOR GRUBS
Best Friends Play Naruto: The Broken Bond (Part 17 - Eugenics Wins)

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
"54% is a terrible percent, Woolie. I'm going to flip a coin, and if it's tails four guys with guns are going to appear behind the couch."

The XCOM 2 LP is real good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I'm hype as gently caress for this X-Com LP. Really hope it doesn't end prematurely...:ohdear:

Seriously, X-Com 2 is dope as gently caress and it's a crying shame some folks are having so much trouble with basic performance and playability.