Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

NESguerilla posted:

I think this person comes off as a huge baby with no sense of personal responsibility, but I have always wondered, what the hell do people who work minimum wage jobs actually do in these comically overpiced cities? I realize they don't live in town, but why commute for an hour to work at McDonalds in SF when they probably have a McDonalds 5 minutes away from where they live?

They get some roommates. I have known a lot of people straight out of college who worked poo poo entry level jobs and still managed to live comfortably in expensive cities with proper budgeting. You can easily find a room in SF, in a safe neighborhood for under $800/mo. Heck even closer to $500/mo if you either really lucky or you are willing to share in an in-law or a less good neighborhood. This is because some people have rent controlled places that they have been in for years, with roommates coming and going. But the rent never goes up to market rate.

However, if you have to have your own 1 bedroom apartment in the city (because obviously you are entitled to it at 25 years old), then you have to pay market rate on a new lease and be ready to shell out $3k/mo.

That's why I have no sympathy for her at all.

I'm much more sympathetic to people who are trying to start families living in the bay area. It's not exactly appropriate or easy for them to share a living space, and unless both people have high paying jobs, they end up getting pushed out farther and farther away to find somewhere they can afford to live. And forget about ever buying a home (even if they are both earning good money).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Aralan posted:

I thought I already said that earlier in the thread

ok, good

old-timey newspaper gal
Feb 23, 2005
Just looking through her twitter pictures over the past couple weeks there are shots of her baking gourmet cupcakes in a well stocked kitchen, drinking not-cheap booze at home, and eating out at restaurants. BUT I HAD TO BUM MONEY FROM THE GUY AT CVS BECAUSE YOU DONT PAY ME ENOUGH AND ALL I EAT IS RICE.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Gazpacho posted:

"Entitled poo poo, I hope she learned something from this. Also I hope she ends up begging on the street for the rest of her short life whether she learned or not." -- gooooonz

Was hoping she'd end up on the street sucking cocks, but close enough.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Pawn 17 posted:

They get some roommates. I have known a lot of people straight out of college who worked poo poo entry level jobs and still managed to live comfortably in expensive cities with proper budgeting. You can easily find a room in SF, in a safe neighborhood for under $800/mo. Heck even closer to $500/mo if you either really lucky or you are willing to share in an in-law or a less good neighborhood. This is because some people have rent controlled places that they have been in for years, with roommates coming and going. But the rent never goes up to market rate.

However, if you have to have your own 1 bedroom apartment in the city (because obviously you are entitled to it at 25 years old), then you have to pay market rate on a new lease and be ready to shell out $3k/mo.

Over the last few years rental prices have spiked up so much in SF even the less desireable neighborhoods are now fairly expensive vs the US rental average.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

Hot Jam posted:

Just looking through her twitter pictures over the past couple weeks there are shots of her baking gourmet cupcakes in a well stocked kitchen, drinking not-cheap booze at home, and eating out at restaurants. BUT I HAD TO BUM MONEY FROM THE GUY AT CVS BECAUSE YOU DONT PAY ME ENOUGH AND ALL I EAT IS RICE.

shes a millennial

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

old-timey newspaper gal
Feb 23, 2005

Pawn 17 posted:

That's why I have no sympathy for her at all.

It's like she doesn't understand that the "living expenses should equal 1/3 wages" thing has a variable on the expense side as well. I agree the minimum wage is too low but like get a roommate or something.

Thursday Next
Jan 11, 2004

FUCK THE ISLE OF APPLES. FUCK THEM IN THEIR STUPID ASSES.

etalian posted:

Over the last few years rental prices have spiked up so much in SF even the less desireable neighborhoods are now fairly expensive vs the US rental average.

It's a real shame that this information is totally hidden, even from university-educated people with access to internet and news sources. If this information weren't so drat impossible for a modern, connected person with a college degree to discover, she might have been able to learn this before moving across the country for a $10/hour job in a city that doesn't support such a wage. The person who is so media-savvy she wishes to make her career online is definitely not equipped to do a google search for "cost of living". Her extremely expensive four-year degree that included many hours of research and writing must have not included anything on "how to find information".

Let's all rally and die on this hill!

the great deceiver
Sep 23, 2003

why the feds worried bout me clockin on this corner/
when there's politicians out here gettin popped in arizona
i've said it for a long time but i fully believe that the state of california should invest in a border fence complete with armed checkpoints on I-80 around fairfield to prevent the tech scourge of the bay area to spread any further

Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT
She really wants to live a lifestyle where she can have a place all to herself and bake her gourmet cupcakes and drink bourbon (while complaining that she was living on rice and sorrow), but didn't plan around her actual wages and didn't downgrade her living expectations until she had her dream tweet job.
Like yeah San Fran has a shitload of problems with livable pay wages, but I do not think this girl is really the one you should be hitching that cause to.

Just burn the whole city down with her in it and start fresh imo

crabcakes66
May 24, 2012

by exmarx

QUEEN CAUCUS posted:

She really wants to live a lifestyle where she can have a place all to herself and bake her gourmet cupcakes and drink bourbon (while complaining that she was living on rice and sorrow), but didn't plan around her actual wages and didn't downgrade her living expectations until she had her dream tweet job.
Like yeah San Fran has a shitload of problems with livable pay wages, but I do not think this girl is really the one you should be hitching that cause to.

Just burn the whole city down with her in it and start fresh imo

Don't forget she can't afford to run her heater and is freezing to death in the frigid 50°F wilds of San Francisco.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

My sister moved to the bay straight out of college. She taught 7th grade or something while also doing RA poo poo while completing her Ph.D. She never had less than 3 or 4 roomies. She got married to a STEM Ph.D. With a great job. Still had roomies for years. Didn't live alone until they crapped out two kids and bought their own house after saving for like a literal decade, around the age of 35.

What I'm trying to say is, this twat that thinks she can get an entry level job in literally one of the most expensive cities on the planet and afford to comfortably live alone can lick my sweaty poo poo encrusted anus.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Lol this person has the audacity to try to make a meaningful life doing something that she doesn't hate just lol

Like hahaha if you don't have the aptitude or inclination to do work in the increasingly limited number of fields that aren't going to be outsourced or automated in the 5-10 years you should just kill yourself and this is good and cool because I'm getting more scraps as an IT grunt than people who dared to actually think about anything that isn't math or science and lol just lol.

walgreenslatino
Jun 2, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

Shaquin posted:

Guess what you big turbonerd college isn't supposed to be a credit check and a drat trade school it's a place of higher learning and people have been going to them for the arts for a real long drat time you brain dead capitalist cock fluffer

Lawrence Gilchrist
Mar 31, 2010

FrankieGoes posted:

My sister moved to the bay straight out of college. She taught 7th grade or something while also doing RA poo poo while completing her Ph.D. She never had less than 3 or 4 roomies. She got married to a STEM Ph.D. With a great job. Still had roomies for years. Didn't live alone until they crapped out two kids and bought their own house after saving for like a literal decade, around the age of 35.

What I'm trying to say is, this twat that thinks she can get an entry level job in literally one of the most expensive cities on the planet and afford to comfortably live alone can lick my sweaty poo poo encrusted anus.

is it bad that i think its bad that we live in a world where she could conceivably make more doing that than her former job

Uncle Salty
Jan 19, 2008
BOYS
Wow, she seems so surprised and humbled at getting lots of attention on the internet! Who would have thought!

I hope she gets a good job offer but her own tweets are smug, boring and not a fresh voice.

Edit, ok ,found a good tweet where she brags about having big boobs and another one where she begs the internet for a 3k piece of furniture and mentions how "small I am" lololol

This girl's gonna be OK.

Uncle Salty fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Feb 20, 2016

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

tuyop posted:

Lol this person has the audacity to try to make a meaningful life doing something that she doesn't hate just lol

Like hahaha if you don't have the aptitude or inclination to do work in the increasingly limited number of fields that aren't going to be outsourced or automated in the 5-10 years you should just kill yourself and this is good and cool because I'm getting more scraps as an IT grunt than people who dared to actually think about anything that isn't math or science and lol just lol.

lol if she wants to pursue her dream of making memes and tweets that's fine but she may want to get a roommate first

Liquid Penguins
Feb 18, 2006

by Cowcaster
Grimey Drawer
if any one of the 20 people I supervise came up to me and said even 1/5th of what is in there I would fire them on the spot too

crabcakes66
May 24, 2012

by exmarx

tuyop posted:

Agreed. Why should society place more value in a doctor or engineer than they do a professional twitter poster?

Liquid Penguins posted:

if any one of the 20 people I supervise came up to me and said even 1/5th of what is in there I would fire them on the spot too

Hey look everyone! An adult.

Liquid Penguins
Feb 18, 2006

by Cowcaster
Grimey Drawer
I love working in upper management in a cheap part of california because I can fire anyone at any time for any reason

if you give me a reason I'll loving do it

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

she dumb

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Lawrence Gilchrist posted:

is it bad that i think its bad that we live in a world where she could conceivably make more doing that than her former job

Seems like a p good thing to me.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Liquid Penguins posted:

Yeah, if you think the guy at CVS has it so much better than you, why don't you just go work at CVS? Seems like the solution to her problem is right there.

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

this. no sympathy

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)
yes she is dumb but it doesn't mean a full time worker shouldn't get a living wage

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

crabcakes66 posted:

Agreed. Why should society place more value in a doctor or engineer than they do a professional twitter poster?

True. Anyone can be a Doctor or engineer if they go to school long enough and study hard enough.

But making good tweeters is an art form that many could never do no matter how hard they tried.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

crabcakes66 posted:

Hey look everyone! An adult.

I know, right! The only valuable humans are those who do math and science work! This is great and I think this kind of story is hilarious because it's real dumb to give out any scraps at all to other kinds of humans and they should just throw themselves off a building. Except for like, forty celebrities and singers to amuse the engineers and doctors I guess.

Edgar
Sep 9, 2005

Oh my heck!
Oh heavens!
Oh my lord!
OH Sweet meats!
Wedge Regret
I'm so glad I live in a lame state where I can buy and afford a house at 23 while making 12.50 doing construction. Do what I want and live my dream.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Nation posted:

yes she is dumb but it doesn't mean a full time worker shouldn't get a living wage

It actually does, if you think about it a little.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Liquid Penguins posted:

congrats on your awesome power tripping career i guess

Liquid Penguins
Feb 18, 2006

by Cowcaster
Grimey Drawer

Angela Christine posted:

Yeah, if you think the guy at CVS has it so much better than you, why don't you just go work at CVS? Seems like the solution to her problem is right there.

nah I work in a corporate office at a very profitable company because I have good work ethics and don't aspire to write memes on twitter and be paid $20 an hour like the lady in the op

Liquid Penguins
Feb 18, 2006

by Cowcaster
Grimey Drawer

Gazpacho posted:

congrats on your awesome power tripping career i guess

have fun living on the streets

crabcakes66
May 24, 2012

by exmarx

tuyop posted:

The only valuable humans are those who do math and science work!

They are not the only valuable humans. But they are the most valuable yeah.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Liquid Penguins posted:

have fun living on the streets
not me, i'm a well-paid bay area software dev, and after going through many managers i've learned to respect the ones that take the time to correct me when i do something wrong, and hate the ones who approach it as a disciplinarian spectacle

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Liquid Penguins posted:

nah I work in a corporate office at a very profitable company because I have good work ethics and don't aspire to write memes on twitter and be paid $20 an hour like the lady in the op

$20/hr? How are you supposed to afford a penthouse over looking the bay and a fleet of sports cars on that?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

tuyop posted:

I know, right! The only valuable humans are those who do math and science work! This is great and I think this kind of story is hilarious because it's real dumb to give out any scraps at all to other kinds of humans and they should just throw themselves off a building. Except for like, forty celebrities and singers to amuse the engineers and doctors I guess.

it doesn't exactly seem like the world is experiencing a tremendous shortage of artists

Liquid Penguins
Feb 18, 2006

by Cowcaster
Grimey Drawer

Gazpacho posted:

not me, i'm a well-paid bay area software dev

ahaha this loving bay area loser fits the smug stereotype like a glove

have fun with your awful city full of pretentious losers who should be glassed and turned into a parking lot

Liquid Penguins
Feb 18, 2006

by Cowcaster
Grimey Drawer
elect me 2016 I will wipe the bay area cancer off the map

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Gazpacho posted:

not me, i'm a well-paid bay area software dev, and after going through many managers i've learned to respect the ones that take the time to correct me when i do something wrong, and hate the ones who approach it as a disciplinarian spectacle

• Locked thread