Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

i like twilight princess more than oot/lttp/ss but not as much as mm/la/ww. thank you for reading

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spectacle Rock
May 24, 2013
Nintendo really really needs to show us some real footage of Zelda Wii U. I find it so hard to fathom that a title that's been in development for so long doesn't even have a public known working title. Something is just off about that... why the secrecy?

If we see nothing of it at E3 this year it is officially time to panic.

Also, I'm basically buying Twilight Princess HD just for the Wolf Link Amiibo :negative:

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

jivjov posted:

If you think it is that bad and ugly...why are you going to buy it at all?

I'm not, dummy. It's sarcasm.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Check this: phantom hourglass and spirit tracks are good

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I like all the Zeldas

Even Link's Crossbow Training

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

FirstAidKite posted:

Check this: phantom hourglass and spirit tracks are good

The dungeons are tons of fun, but the sailing and trainrides that take up fully half of the 20-hour game time are pure torture.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Twilight Princess has the best Zelda in the series and Midna owns.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Cartoon Man posted:

Twilight Princess has the best Zelda in the series and Midna owns.

I don't think it's very popular here but I love how Twilight Princess just made Zelda into Galadriel.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Actually Skyward Sword has best Zelda, sorry you are so wrong about stuff.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Actually Hyrule Warriors has the best Zelda :swoon:

And the best everything else because it's a really good game.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
I had a choice between Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword for the Wii, and I chose TP because the art direction felt more interesting. It was a good game, even if it felt a bit unfocused at times.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Gutcruncher posted:

Actually Skyward Sword has best Zelda, sorry you are so wrong about stuff.

Can't stand her haircut in that one.

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Cartoon Man posted:

Can't stand her haircut in that one.

She got a weird little nose in that too, would not

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!
The best Zelda is Tetra, before she realizes she's Zelda.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Ask Twilight Princess Zelda does is surrender and chill in her room the whole time.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Her role in the final boss fight was a pretty cool take on a tired gimmick.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

Spectacle Rock posted:

Nintendo really really needs to show us some real footage of Zelda Wii U. I find it so hard to fathom that a title that's been in development for so long doesn't even have a public known working title. Something is just off about that... why the secrecy?

If we see nothing of it at E3 this year it is officially time to panic.

By this point I'm actually hoping it's an NX title. And it probably will be - it's simply a bad business decision to release it this year. If you were Nintendo, which of these seems smarter to you?

1. Launch a massive exclusive (maybe the biggest exclusive?) on a system you're planning on making obsolete in less than a year
2. Use a massive exclusive to drive hype for a brand new system you want people to buy on launch day

Business plans aside, I want the game done right and I'm not sure if the Wii U has the power for it. I love the wii u but let's be honest - the new Zelda is supposed to be an open-world, explorey type of game, and I don't think the wii u can push an open world that looks anywhere near as good as The Witcher 3 or even The Witness.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Polo-Rican posted:

By this point I'm actually hoping it's an NX title. And it probably will be - it's simply a bad business decision to release it this year. If you were Nintendo, which of these seems smarter to you?

1. Launch a massive exclusive (maybe the biggest exclusive?) on a system you're planning on making obsolete in less than a year
2. Use a massive exclusive to drive hype for a brand new system you want people to buy on launch day

Twilight Princess was in the same situation and ended up releasing on both the current and next gen platform at the time, the same could happen with Zelda U.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
It can push one that looks as good as Skyrim, which looked pretty dang good, except Nintendo typically has far better art direction.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
By this point it's a bad business decision to not have any sort of press on the drat game. The closest thing that exists to "open world Zelda" is Skyrim, a game that came out in November 2011. Four and a half years have passed since then. Open world hack-and-slashy with dungeons is not anything new or technically remarkable by this point, and while Skyrim had a legendary amount of bugs and peculiar design philosophy decisions, it's still a fun game that I (among many other people) sank hundreds of hours into. If Open World Zelda is the same goddamn Zelda formula, with eight dungeons and crappy bosses only there's an open world as well, it's going to be woefully behind the times by this point.

e: IMO the best Zelda game that has come out since Ocarina is A Link Between Worlds, and that's a game that succeeded entirely because it just copied A Link to the Past but executed the gameplay fundamentals a lot better. It is pure strain Zelda action. There's no reason that Skyrim With A Triforce On It should be five years late to the party.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Polo-Rican posted:

Business plans aside, I want the game done right and I'm not sure if the Wii U has the power for it. I love the wii u but let's be honest - the new Zelda is supposed to be an open-world, explorey type of game, and I don't think the wii u can push an open world that looks anywhere near as good as The Witcher 3 or even The Witness.

Xenoblade X had some pretty places.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

The new Zelda is designed ground up for the Wii U and Nintendo has done a fantastic job over the years making games that look really loving good within the limitations of their hardware. It's different than imagining what a Witcher port would look like or whatever.

And if it goes over to the NX it's not going to be some huge leap or anything unless they actually tore the whole thing down years ago.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

RyokoTK posted:

If Open World Zelda is the same goddamn Zelda formula, with eight dungeons and crappy bosses only there's an open world as well, it's going to be woefully behind the times by this point.

I think you're setting yourself up for disappointment if you're hoping they're going to completely revamp the Zelda formula

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

Tender Bender posted:

And if it goes over to the NX it's not going to be some huge leap or anything unless they actually tore the whole thing down years ago.

The last time we saw it was literally years ago. :saddowns:

And the nx probably won't launch for another 12 months. They have had enough time to basically rebuild it.

edit: not that they'd have to rebuild it "from scratch." Nintendo consoles always share a lot of architecture

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Skyward Sword changed up the formula and nerds whined.

Skyward Sword owned btw.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
I guess I'm just curious how Open World is going to actually contribute to the Zelda formula, since the strength of Zelda games is in the sense of progression and gating (i.e. I found X item, now I can go here and there and I couldn't before).

eta: Although ALBW is one of my favorite Zeldas, one of its weaknesses IMO is in its nonlinearity when you reach Lorule. Since you can start with any dungeon except for Desert Palace, there are two problems:
1 - The dungeons get easier over time, since the difficulty does not scale, and the difficulty is based around you potentially reaching that dungeon first;
2 - The game assumes you haven't found any of the other dungeon items in Lorule, so each dungeon is based around you using precisely one item and not really exploring how the items interact with each other. Even the final dungeon does this -- there's one section where you use bombs, one section where you use the hookshot, and those two sections do not overlap.

RyokoTK fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Feb 20, 2016

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

RyokoTK posted:

I guess I'm just curious how Open World is going to actually contribute to that, since the strength of Zelda games is in the sense of progression and gating (i.e. I found X item, now I can go here and there and I couldn't before).

An open world really wouldn't change much since wind waker was already just a huge map with a few things scattered about. the only difference is its going to be a lot of hills and trees instead of a huge ocean.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
I'm gonna provide the hot take that the sailing in Wind Waker is Not Very Good.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

The item thing in LBW was dumb as hell but not a necessity of the nonlinear dungeon structure. They let you rent every item right away, I guess they just had no confidence in their playerbase's ability to realize what item they needed to use? Even up until the end of the game every bomb puzzle also had those infinitely respawning bomb monsters nearby. It was a really dumb approach to a really good game.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

RyokoTK posted:

I'm gonna provide the hot take that the sailing in Wind Waker is Not Very Good.

Except sailing around on the Great Ocean finding puzzle islands and giant octos and stuff was awesome

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
I just knew that saying something about the sailing in Wind Waker was akin to a mystical incantation to summon jivjov, and lo and behold there he is.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

less laughter posted:

I just knew that saying something about the sailing in Wind Waker was akin to a mystical incantation to summon jivjov, and lo and behold there he is.

he's right

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
NES Zelda 1 was pretty open world. No cars to steal, though.

Davinci
Feb 21, 2013

Motto posted:

he's right

He usually is

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

All I want out of Zelda U is like a 3D Metroidvania with some dungeons tbh

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

jivjov posted:

Except sailing around on the Great Ocean finding puzzle islands and giant octos and stuff was awesome

You're half-right. The finding part of that was awesome, the actual exploration was not because sailing around on a flat blue carpet is very dull.

The problem that the Zelda formula has w/r/t open world stuff is, how are you going to reward people that explore? There's no XP/level system like traditional RPGs, and since one of the linchpins of the Zelda experience is immensely meaningful and specific loot (i.e. the Hookshot, Bomb Bag, Boomerang), you can't hide that stuff in Bumfuck Nowhere Dungeon, so whatever is in that dungeon is likely to be completely useless garbage like rupees or ammo, or incremental upgrades to your health/ammo, which tends to lose its luster as the game goes on (yay, now I have 19 hearts, this is a big improvement from when I had 18).

e:

majormonotone posted:

All I want out of Zelda U is like a 3D Metroidvania with some dungeons tbh

Sure, if the new Zelda game was Legend of Zelda Prime, it'd be pretty much the best game ever made (because it would pretty much just be Nintendo Dark Souls).

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Link with a gun? Anyone?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I loved sailing in WW. Nothing has come close the feeling it gave you when you were alone on the ocean in your little boat and a storm starts and you can see the rain splashing into the sea.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

RyokoTK posted:

how are you going to reward people that explore?

exploration is its own reward

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

oddium posted:

exploration is its own reward

:rolleyes:

• Locked thread