Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
The "guessing game" about whether your soldier can see anyone or not is one thing I do not miss about EU.

monster on a stick fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Feb 19, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)
At least everyone made it home!

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
Thread title accuracy.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Been there ran away

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
Can the soldiers stand on logs? Would that have helped with the sniper's LoS issue?

ProfessorBooty
Jan 25, 2004

Amulet of the Dark

Wheany posted:

Can the soldiers stand on logs? Would that have helped with the sniper's LoS issue?

No standing on logs, sadly. The sniper wasn't really the biggest deal, it was the trees that were messing us up - kept us from focus-firing. I think I mentioned shooting a rocket just to remove the trees at some point, and I kind of wish I did if only to get a firm foothold in the map.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
I think I saw a los mod that is supposed to let you know if you can see a dude from a certain spot?

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Affi posted:

I think I saw a los mod that is supposed to let you know if you can see a dude from a certain spot?

I think that mod is called XCOM 2.

ProfessorBooty
Jan 25, 2004

Amulet of the Dark

Affi posted:

I'll have to look. I haven't heard about that one. I know its true for XCOM 2, which is a little helpful.

edit: beaten.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
I saw it when looking for the sightlines mod. Is supposed to emulate xcom2.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
You mean this? http://www.nexusmods.com/xcom/mods/666/

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Yase that is the one I saw.

Anyway; so we saw ethereals! First ones right? Those fuckers are mean and I can personally attest to rift being used and being bullshit.

ProfessorBooty
Jan 25, 2004

Amulet of the Dark
^^^ We saw the Ethereal and all he did was stand in the back and scowl at us. ^^^

I might have to test that. For some reason I feel that might be a little cheaty. There's some element to strategy in how you maneuver troops, and there are times you might put a weaker soldier in a position just to see if you have the critical shot/flank on the enemy from that position, but at the same time you have bullshit scenarios like the floater that takes some asinine ceiling tile where you have asymmetrical LOS, and in order to even 'see' the floater you need to position your trooper in some ridiculous spot.

ProfessorBooty fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Feb 19, 2016

Elth
Jul 28, 2011

That ghost muton was just out of line of sight, in a spot it couldn't step out of. The movement grid looked a little wonky when you were trying to pinpoint it.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

ProfessorBooty posted:

I might have to test that. For some reason I feel that might be a little cheaty. There's some element to strategy in how you maneuver troops, and there are times you might put a weaker soldier in a position just to see if you have the critical shot/flank on the enemy from that position, but at the same time you have bullshit scenarios like the floater that takes some asinine ceiling tile where you have asymmetrical LOS, and in order to even 'see' the floater you need to position your trooper in some ridiculous spot.

So reading the posts for that mod, it sounds like what it does is place an invisible neutral unit wherever your cursor is, and uses that to determine LOS. It should be accurate, and (at least theoretically) shouldn't activate anything.

I don't think it's that cheaty; my assumption is the game AI also knows what tiles it can shoot you from. At least it doesn't seem like enemy units are moving about to make sure they have LOS and then moving when they are blocked by a tree. So you may as well. It doesn't trivialize the game, any more than having a LOS indicator on that last mission would have made things that much better. Maybe there was a spot near the LZ where Dooky Dingo could see a Muton or the Ethereal, but you still would have had three pods converging in what was either a trap UFO, or because the Ethereal and/or Sectoid Commander pods were Command pods and so activated everything.

EDIT: also now that Ethereals have been introduced, your upcoming base defense is going to be fun :v: I'll be in the pilot's bay having drinks.

monster on a stick fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Feb 20, 2016

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)
Also, holy gently caress, TheJoshie. :eyepop:

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Jesus christ that was a lot of nasty aliens. Next time Booty gets another landed UFO I'm not sure if I would be excited to go or not.

Rick_Hunter posted:

Also, holy gently caress, TheJoshie. :eyepop:

All those times I've been like 'Man Prof Booty just let me run those overwatchs it'll be easy.'

I take it back. I take it all back.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

SaffronKit posted:

All those times I've been like 'Man Prof Booty just let me run those overwatchs it'll be easy.'

:swanlake:

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
Seriously though, I'da been gone the second I saw that first pod.

Steelion
Aug 2, 2009
I think the problem win LoS that mission wasn't step out mechanics, it was height mechanics. From where you were taking cover behind the indestructible low cover, you had the top of the hill obscuring everything below waist height from view. The muton elites were a terrain level higher than the rest of the aliens so they were poking up. Everything else was just too low, and obscured by the giant hill you were taking cover behind. No amount of stepping out or searching for pixels were gonna help you see or shoot through the ground.

That being said, Jesus tap dancing Christ those activations were insane. I don't blame you in the least for getting the hell out of there, especially with those overwatches.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

ProfessorBooty posted:

I might have to test that. For some reason I feel that might be a little cheaty.

No it isn't. Xcom's LoS is hosed.

ProfessorBooty
Jan 25, 2004

Amulet of the Dark

Steelion posted:

I think the problem win LoS that mission wasn't step out mechanics, it was height mechanics. From where you were taking cover behind the indestructible low cover, you had the top of the hill obscuring everything below waist height from view. The muton elites were a terrain level higher than the rest of the aliens so they were poking up. Everything else was just too low, and obscured by the giant hill you were taking cover behind. No amount of stepping out or searching for pixels were gonna help you see or shoot through the ground.

Absolutely correct. Technically the top of the ethereal's head was at the level of the hill most the soldiers were stationed behind. It would have been impossible to get LOS on any aliens with our sniper unless they took station on the other side. Flying armor would have been pretty nice. I also should have bit the bullet and blew up those trees that were giving us line of sight pains.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

ProfessorBooty posted:

Absolutely correct. Technically the top of the ethereal's head was at the level of the hill most the soldiers were stationed behind. It would have been impossible to get LOS on any aliens with our sniper unless they took station on the other side. Flying armor would have been pretty nice. I also should have bit the bullet and blew up those trees that were giving us line of sight pains.

I'm not sure if that would have made any difference in the long run. There were just so many of the worst aliens in the map. The only ones missing were Sectopods and Cyberdisks

Ghost of Starman
Mar 9, 2008
J-just had my first landed Supply Ship... :wth:

43 aliens and 3+ hours later... I dunno, man. I mean, I beat it and it was pretty fun, but I don't know how many more of those I have in me. Long War might wear me down with sheer attrition.

Edit: Welll, maybe just one more mission. I've got those Aegis armors rolling off the assembly line... and I'm 9/10ths of the way to Pulse Lasers... and after that my Jaeger MEC is almost to Tech Sergeant...

Ghost of Starman fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Feb 20, 2016

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

Holy poo poo that was terrifying. Bailing out was the only correct option.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
Oh man how unlucky were those overwatches on Joshie. Losing her would be real lovely. Close call!

This video makes me want to stop playing Long War :(

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Since they've been mentioned before was this a "trap" UFO or would this might be what you would expect a landed abductor to look like? Plus or minus the Ethereal.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

Kibayasu posted:

Since they've been mentioned before was this a "trap" UFO or would this might be what you would expect a landed abductor to look like? Plus or minus the Ethereal.

This looks like enemy ships in sector 3-7.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties
How much longer until 'Colonel' Colonel Corazon make colonel?

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

ProfessorBooty posted:

I might have to test that. For some reason I feel that might be a little cheaty.

It's a little crazy that you say that when in the last mission that sectoid commander abused this exact system against you when he stood out in the open so you couldn't see or hit him.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Kibayasu posted:

The "trap UFO" thing is kindof a misnomer. Landing UFOs are sent with either a 'Harvest' or 'Research' mission. If the mission is 'Abduct' it creates an abduction site and you can't capture the UFO, ditto 'Terrorize'. Harvest missions try to target countries without a satellite (they have a chance to reroll target country if the first randomly-selected country has coverage) which means you don't see them at all unless (for whatever counterproductive reason) you have the Foundry project that lets interceptors detect UFOs without a satellite, and interceptors stationed in a continent with un-covered countries. Research missions try to target a country with a satellite, and with Large/XL UFOs have more aliens than any other mission type in the game with an additional obtuse mechanic that lets them generate units with higher tech level than the aliens have actually researched. If you have a Hyperwave Relay base facility, you can see the UFO's mission and number/types of aliens on the Geoscape.

Note that some of this info comes from the wiki and could be outdated if not entirely wrong.

Good news: nobody died. Bad news: we'll be seeing Ethereals again fairly soon, and their AI probably won't glitch out again.

ProfessorBooty can we get a running SHIV Explosion Count in the monthly reports, to go with the meat list roster updates?

silentsnack fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Feb 21, 2016

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

Welp....that escalated quickly. :stonklol:

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Even robots have feelings!

ProfessorBooty posted:

Since they put the LoS thing into XCOM2 think it's totally fine to try the mod. LoS dickery shouldn't really be a major concern, especially when they are starting to throw that kind of fire power at you. I have found the LoS thing to be most useful if I am picking between great cover with questionable LoS or ok cover with definite LoS so it's not as if it opens up massive possibilities for abuse any way.

I could not have handled that first pod let alone the rest that just kept piling in. Long War, you are too extreme for me. Did anybody do the maths on those overwatches?

ProfessorBooty
Jan 25, 2004

Amulet of the Dark

Youtube Link

Bad Guy Showcase

Ethereal

This will be the last type of enemy we will come up across. I'm not sure what to say really. They have health regen, 40 base defense, the hardened perk, and in Long War their reflection ability works at squadsight range.

Stupidly high aim, stupidly high will. Their psi lance and reflection ability does have a roll to hit, so things like suppression, chem grenades, mind fray, and smoke reduce their chances to hit with these abilities (make sure you smoke before you suppress, otherwise the reflection will knock your soldier out of suppression). From what I've gathered from reading the wiki, their rift range can also be reduced using these abilities as well.

The very best way to take out an ethereal, other than explosives, is to use psi panic. A panicked ethereal cannot reflect. From what I understand, a reflection only occurrs on a missed shot (I might be wrong), so don't get too pissed if a shot gets reflected - it was going to miss anyway.

New Stuff

Elerium Generator

Provides 35 power. Takes about 28 days to build. We're probably going to build one of these soon just so we can continue to take advantage of our south america bonus before they threaten to leave the council again.

Alien Nucleonics

+20% Elerium. We will probably not even consider this project until we have the Asia bonus. In addition to the cash, its 60 elerium, 100 alloys, and 150 meld. That's insane. These resources would be better put toward ammo conservation or tactical rigging.

UFO Tracking

An interceptor has a 4% chance to detect a UFO over a country without satellite coverage. This boosts it to 8%. If it didn't take any flight computers then it might be worth it.

Improved Arc Thrower

Great upgrade. Makes the stun chance 57/57/57/57/55/48% on targets from 1-6 HP, so opportunistic captures are easier to perform.

ProfessorBooty fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Feb 23, 2016

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012
I agree with everything, that squad on that mission was overkill, and you could have brought an arc thrower (or two) for that easy outsider.

FraudulentEconomics
Oct 14, 2007

Pst...
:dance: I have arrived! Appropriately enough, I am a father. I don't stream, much as I'd like to my internet blows. Hopefully the Ethereal isn't going to make my stay a very short one :ohdear:

If you want to shorten my name, you can just use FraudEcon.

Edit 1: Hooray, I killed something. It may have been a lovely drone, but hey, it's a kill.

Edit 2: 3 kills, okay I'll take it. I'M A MAN NOW.

FraudulentEconomics fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Feb 23, 2016

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Can't complain about that mission, went super well overall. I can see why Kidneyman is a fan of snipers, double sniper can be pretty powerful.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

man, that was the smallest alien count we've seen in a while, i think?

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

AriadneThread posted:

man, that was the smallest alien count we've seen in a while, i think?

They put all their eggs in the landed trap basket and didn't even get a kill. :smuggo:

Thanks, UFObama!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Well that was fast, saw 30 minutes and thought something terrible had happened :ohdear:

• Locked thread