Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

RandomPauI posted:

What are peoples opinions of the US Cruiser line?
The Cleveland is a good ship, but after that, everything is either kind of mediocre or just meh. It ends with 2 pretty meh cruisers in the Baltimore and Des Moines, neither of whom seem to be all that great (or popular).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.

Which of those are paper ships? All of them? The USSR wasn't exactly known for its cruisers...

e: tier 2 through 5 are real. the Budyonny, Shchors, and Dmitri Donskoi (6, 7, 9) are paper designs. I have no idea what the Moskva is but I don't think it's a cruiser class so it's kind of hard to google. e: The Moskva is the Project 66 design heavy cruiser, so also a paper ship.

TheDemon fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Feb 20, 2016

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

Well, that is one way to do those missions
:laugh:

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

JuffoWup, get in Discord and get in our team match we have 6 in team and are 8-0 and need another goon

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
That is strange that their cruisers actually lose the larger guns for tier 6-8, then get the 180mm guns back.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

CitizenKain posted:

That is strange that their cruisers actually lose the larger guns for tier 6-8, then get the 180mm guns back.

It's a lot more strange doing it the way the US tree does it where they put a mid-late war cruiser before one of the first attempts at a treaty cruiser, which was pretty flawed because of it just because of gun caliber. There were people bitching at them from before they took out overhead view that the cleveland was going to be way better than the pensacola or there'd be some aggressive weird buffs and nerfs going on.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
Torpedo Acceleration is so much fun with CVs holy poo poo. It's like I'm playing Closed Beta again.

e: Not only is it impossible to react with Turn Away anymore, it increases drop distance as arming distance is longer, meaning a little less time under AA. But longer arming distance doesn't actually hurt, as the torpedoes are still giving less reaction time.

TheDemon fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Feb 20, 2016

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

TheDemon posted:

Torpedo Acceleration is so much fun with CVs holy poo poo. It's like I'm playing Closed Beta again.

e: Not only is it impossible to react with Turn Away anymore, it increases drop distance as arming distance is longer, meaning a little less time under AA. But longer arming distance doesn't actually hurt, as the torpedoes are still giving less reaction time.

bye bye manual torp drops i guess?

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

JuffoWup posted:

Jesus, that tier 3. It looks like it'll outgun a st louis.
Unless it has some more centerline mounts not showing up on google pictures, it'll have only a single gun over the st. louis in a broadside, with smaller shells. It also appears to be lacking a quarter of the st. louis health pool and according to wikipedia it's armour is a lot thinner.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

Asehujiko posted:

Unless it has some more centerline mounts not showing up on google pictures, it'll have only a single gun over the st. louis in a broadside, with smaller shells. It also appears to be lacking a quarter of the st. louis health pool and according to wikipedia it's armour is a lot thinner.

Thinner yes, I assumed as much. However, the pictures posted suggested there is a 152mm variant as well to it. So it may be lobbing similar shells. Looks to be a smidge faster than the st louis though. I was hoping it was a little more given the lack of armor.

jownzy
Apr 20, 2012

I love Rainbow Moon.

It is the deepest game ever. Nothing compares to its epic story.
That was really fun spreading our semen with a team full of seaman. The games weren't even competitive. I can't wait to see what actually prizes are rewarded for advancing your team.

Discord is great btw.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy
I've gone through and updated all the new members to the Discord so you have permissions. Now if everyone would stop joining and going straight to the AFK channel you anti-social goons.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

I am the only person not AFK I guess?

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013
Is sky cancer back to being extremely cancerous ?

I didn't remember the kongo to have such useless AA guns.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Krogort posted:

Is sky cancer back to being extremely cancerous ?

I didn't remember the kongo to have such useless AA guns.

Torpedo Acceleration makes sky cancer very cancerous. You can auto-drop at max range and your target won't be able to dodge it in time.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

I was putting torpedoes into Clevelands left and right with no real trouble at all.

jownzy
Apr 20, 2012

I love Rainbow Moon.

demonR6 posted:

I've gone through and updated all the new members to the Discord so you have permissions. Now if everyone would stop joining and going straight to the AFK channel you anti-social goons.

I think the AFK timer is way way way too short.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Is the ANM65 a new bomb type in the game for the American carriers? I don't recall seeing bombs that do 10,000 damage before.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

1000 lb bombs, yes, for the Midway and e: Lexington and Essex too.

http://www.skytamer.com/AN-M65.html

e: I'm still not seeing why they don't just make AP bombs already, both nations used them exclusively against naval targets and it's less silly than using a ground attack bomb. The US had 1600 and 1000 lb AP bombs, the Japanese 800 lb AP bombs and eventually 1000 lb AP bombs.

TheDemon fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Feb 20, 2016

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

TheDemon posted:

e: I'm still not seeing why they don't just make AP bombs already, both nations used them exclusively against naval targets and it's less silly than using a ground attack bomb. The US had 1600 and 1000 lb AP bombs, the Japanese 800 lb AP bombs and eventually 1000 lb AP bombs.

Because they don't calculate a deflection value for deck armor i guess? AP bombs would be hilariously effective and make American carriers the go-to for killing poo poo. As it is you can still have a ridiculous game in a US carrier, I just had one where I did 80,000 damage in a Bogue because the enemy carriers sacrificed all their planes to me and my teammate, and then we sat there and just did bombing and torp runs with complete impunity.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Feb 20, 2016

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
Des Moines is just not fun. Sure it wrecks things when you can get close, but the problem is you can't get close because nobody ever bothers to use islands as cover and they all sit back sniping :argh:

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

TheDemon posted:

It would certainly fix the problems between us and ijn carriers if us bombers had ap bombs. It is really sad when I'm looking at the difference between a balanced loadout and a strike loadout on an amaerican carrier and the difference is the loss of your fighter for a couple more dive bomber wings. But you still only get one torp bomber wing. On the ijn side, you gain more torp bomber wings. Or in the case of 3 specific ijn carriers, you still sit hilariously high in air superiority setup still with 2 torp wings and 3 fighter wings. Totally balanced!

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

But you see the superior Japanese carriers totally would have won at Midway if it weren't for a tragic stroke of fa:fuckoff:

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

TheDemon posted:

Just FYI, I've been hearing reports of the 1k pound bombs getting citadel hits on cruisers. I can't personally verify it, though, but if true would be... quite insane.

What's even crazier than that, though... is this:

Looks to last for 30 seconds and reloads in 4 minutes with premium.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Don't know about the other ships, but the uprated new fighters on the Independence came at a price - they now take 36 seconds to reload on landing, which is the slowest out of any tier 6 squadron, the dive bomber squadron takes 29 seconds, and the (never used) torpedo bombers take 23s. Ryujo fighters take 14s, dive bombers 19s, and torpedo bombers 14s.

If you ever lose an Indy figter squadron, it was either 60 or 80s before you can launch the replacements. Basically, launching your fighters more than once is the last thing you ever want to do on that ship.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Hazdoc posted:

Just FYI, I've been hearing reports of the 1k pound bombs getting citadel hits on cruisers. I can't personally verify it, though, but if true would be... quite insane.

Holy gently caress. Is that replacing hydroacoustic search.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

Hazdoc posted:

wdarkk posted:

Tier 8-10 Russia and USA cruisers, apparently. Replacing the Fighter/Spotter.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

wdarkk posted:

No. Hydroacoustic Search still detects torpedoes early, but honestly, detecting the DD that launched them lets you avoid the torps AND the DD in one swoop by pre-angling yourself before the torps arrive. It'll be a powerful consumable, for sure.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

And you can take both. So you get spotted, pop Radar, see the DD, shoot it, judge based on positioning whether to pop Search, or better yet maneuver and save Search for during the Radar cooldown. Or just have Vigilance already and use AA instead.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy

jownzy posted:

I think the AFK timer is way way way too short.

I don't control that unfortunately.

By default the AFK timeout is 30 minutes, that is more than reasonable to be honest.

demonR6 fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Feb 20, 2016

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man

Did they remove the background Kuma from the startup screen? :confused:

E: traded in my Kongou for a Fusou. Is this one of the ones where I want to free XP my way past the A hull?

Somebody Awful fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Feb 20, 2016

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Sperglord Actual posted:

Did they remove the background Kuma from the startup screen? :confused:

E: traded in my Kongou for a Fusou. Is this one of the ones where I want to free XP my way past the A hull?

That's the CV, right? I don't think the hull upgrade does much other than a little AA, you want your fighters cracked up first, then bombers

Every Japanese ship name sounds the same to me :downs:

Archenteron fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Feb 20, 2016

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013

Sperglord Actual posted:

Is this one of the ones where I want to free XP my way past the A hull?

Look at the range increase for the B hull.

Fizzil
Aug 24, 2005

There are five fucks at the edge of a cliff...

The New Orleans is giving me an aneurysm, i'm contemplating getting the 3000 doubloon camo just to get out of it, on the other hand i dunno what line to pursue, i guess the US DD line is decent? It sounds like the end tier stuff for the US navy is mediocre.

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man

Krogort posted:

Look at the range increase for the B hull.

According to the tech tree, the improved rangefinder requires the C hull. :wtc:

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Fizzil posted:

The New Orleans is giving me an aneurysm, i'm contemplating getting the 3000 doubloon camo just to get out of it, on the other hand i dunno what line to pursue, i guess the US DD line is decent? It sounds like the end tier stuff for the US navy is mediocre.

Yes, the US DDs are good. Their battleships are also good if you pretend the Montana doesn't exist.

Sperglord Actual posted:

According to the tech tree, the improved rangefinder requires the C hull. :wtc:

There is a range increase built into the B hull.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Hazduck!

~SMcD

Fizzil posted:

If you're going to drop 3000 doubloons on a boat you don't like, convert free xp to skip it. All you're doing is buying a camo for a boat you don't like, it seems. The New Orleans is a good boat though.

US DDs own. US BBs also own, though the Montana is competing with the bullshit city of Yamato still. How the Yamato still dodges nerfs to its ability to deal damage is beyond me. Yamato overmatches bow/stern armor of all other BBs in the game, so we fix this by... nerfing how much HP the Yamato can heal? :wargaming:

Reddit is starting to give me cancer (this shouldn't be a surprise to anyone). As CVs see more consistent DB drops and faster TB drops, reddit cries about how DDs rule high tier matches (they don't) and in the same breath talk about how Surveillance Radar is going to be a BAD thing (and CAs having overpowered abilities, :laffo:). The BB crybabies are out in force once again.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
Yeah ignore Montana, just play Iowa like me. US CA/BB lines are mediocre, and won't give you much satisfaction.

jownzy
Apr 20, 2012

I love Rainbow Moon.

demonR6 posted:

I don't control that unfortunately.

By default the AFK timeout is 30 minutes, that is more than reasonable to be honest.

Except I don't remember to talk to myself once every 30 minutes. Being active on your computer isn't enough. It's actually being active in-app.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Hazdoc posted:

US DDs own. US BBs also own, though the Montana is competing with the bullshit city of Yamato still. How the Yamato still dodges nerfs to its ability to deal damage is beyond me. Yamato overmatches bow/stern armor of all other BBs in the game, so we fix this by... nerfing how much HP the Yamato can heal? :wargaming:

To be fair, the Yamato had a bonus to healing no BB other than the Warspite had for ???? reasons, so taking that away was a good step. Unfortunately fixing the overmatch problem would require literally rewriting the overmatch mechanics.

Also, what does that radar consumable replace if it's not the sonar? The plane? The heal? Do cruisers with it just get 5 buttons?