Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Was it packed like poo poo?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Virigoth posted:

Yeah, usually you work with the 911 dispatch center by getting transferred to them by a non-emergency line call to your local station. Then you talk to the supervisor or whoever to let them know "number" is making 911 test calls and asking if it is a good time for them because you know, they love testing 911 calls when they have 50 active incidents going on and a rampaging gunman on the loose.

It's actually even easier because on our phone system all you have to do is press *933<numbergoeshere> and an automated system will spit out the registered information. No need to harrass a real person.

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003
This is where we started:
http://www.amazon.com/DK-Workbooks-Computer-Coding/dp/146542685X

Then when that was done he got:
Python for Kids: http://www.amazon.com/Python-Kids-Playful-Introduction-Programming/dp/1593274076
Learn to program with Scratch: http://www.amazon.com/Learn-Program-Scratch-Introduction-Programming/dp/1593275439

I got him this as well but I don't think he's gotten into it yet: http://www.amazon.com/Adventures-Raspberry-Carrie-Anne-Philbin/dp/1119046025

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I wish I had those when I was a kid.

I actually might just buy the Python one myself

sloshmonger
Mar 21, 2013

Potato Alley posted:

Now to see if I can Powershell up the emails themselves, because that's going to be pretty annoying.

You probably already did this in about 2 minutes of googling, but...
code:
$Outlook = New-Object -ComObject Outlook.Application
$AttachFile1 = "\\Path\To\File.pdf"
$Recipients | foreach {       #just a list of email addresses
$Mail = $Outlook.CreateItem(0)
$Mail.to = $PSItem
$Mail.Subject = "Subject Here"
$Mail.Body = "Here's an attachment you won't read"
$Mail.Attachments.Add($AttachFile1)
Write-Host "Sending email to $($Mail.to)"
$Mail.Send()
Write-Host "Mail sent"
}

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
Nnggg powershell... :awesome:

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I wish I had those when I was a kid.

I actually might just buy the Python one myself

There's also this: http://learnpythonthehardway.org/book/

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

I'd recommend learning Python 3 instead of the 2.7 branch unless there's library that you really can't live without. As far as I know there's no going to be no more feature development for 2.7 through it's EOL in 2020.

There's been a lot of movement over the last few years of the more popular libraries to 3.

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug

flosofl posted:

I'd recommend learning Python 3 instead of the 2.7 branch unless there's library that you really can't live without. As far as I know there's no going to be no more feature development for 2.7 through it's EOL in 2020.

There's been a lot of movement over the last few years of the more popular libraries to 3.

Yes that's true, I wasn't really paying attention to what thread I am in. I've been using the Hard Way website to reintroduce myself to programming because the last time I did anything significant that way was with GW-BASIC, so I need to work on some fundamentals. I find it useful to have anything to steer me away from GOTO, but most everyone else probably doesn't have that hang up.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
Oh live a little, all the cool programmers are still using GOTO.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

A ticket came in from FIS. Apparently they sent an e-mail to us in error a while back that may have had some kind of critical data. Oops.

“Certify to FIS that we have either returned or destroyed all copies, and not retained any copies or portions whatsoever, of the confidential and/or proprietary information erroneously sent to us, in accordance with document retention policies, we do not currently have any information related to this incident in our possession.”

Sure, let me get right on proving a negative for you. And how does their gently caress-up become our problem in the first place?

"Returned or destroyed all copies..."

You should forward the email back to them, saying "here is your email back".

Then send it again saying, "hey! This appeared in my sent messages, so here is that copy as well."

Keep doing this.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

Agrikk posted:

"Returned or destroyed all copies..."

You should forward the email back to them, saying "here is your email back".

Then send it again saying, "hey! This appeared in my sent messages, so here is that copy as well."

Keep doing this.

Print out the email, put it through a paper shredder, then mail it back to them?

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

Dragyn posted:

This is fairly common practice in Health IT, they're not looking for you to prove it, they're looking for you to confirm it was deleted/destroyed and not retransmitted anywhere else. It's a CYA measure so that the person who sent the erroneous data can say "the breach was contained and eliminated".

Right, but it's probably still a mistake to respond with anything other than "where do I send the bill to for our time spent on this?". I'm not going to go through tape backups of mail server's archive to remove an email that shouldn't have been sent to my org in the first place, and I'm definitely not going to open myself up to getting sued by saying I've deleted it only to discover it was still on a laptop that had cached exchange mode running and then got stolen or something. I might be inclined to do that as a favour to the IT/security team of a company that mine has a good working relationship with, or even that we don't providing they ask nicely, but someone I've never spoken to sending legalese like that is going right to the back of my queue.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
"Since I could not send you confirmation without sending you an e-mail, I have now physically destroyed our mail server to remove all record of this transaction. Please find enclosed a bill for our new server."

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
An emergency ticket came it:

I'm being hacked!!

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

uPen posted:

I'm being hacked!!

We had one of those and they typed in "FIREWALL NEEDS UPGRADATION"

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

uPen posted:

I'm being hacked!!

We had one of those and they typed in "FIREWALL NEEDS UPGRADATION"

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

uPen posted:

I'm being hacked!!

is this a real thing

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Kashuno posted:

is this a real thing

This is what those microsoft support scammers from India do.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

spankmeister posted:

Just take

pre:
computer is at risk

security is breached  network hacked

e-mail has a virus

boston , ohio network found

5697 virus, trojans found

And paste it into the command prompt and that's what you get.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Just take

pre:
computer is at risk

security is breached  network hacked

e-mail has a virus

boston , ohio network found

5697 virus, trojans found

And paste it into the command prompt and that's what you get.

Yea I know but what I'm saying is that one of their tactics is to open up a command window and pasting ot typing in poo poo like this to scare the mark

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

spankmeister posted:

Before I did b2b sales for MS, I took support calls. The amount of people who spent thousands for "Microsoft support" is embarrassing. Like you could easily buy multiple computers for these support fees

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Scikar posted:

Right, but it's probably still a mistake to respond with anything.

Fixed that for you. By responding to this email you are tacitly acknowledging the premise of the message, and are therefore sharing the responsibility of the leaked data.

Sorry, pal. You ain't getting poo poo from me. Like others have said- maybe I'll track down emails and delete them out of inboxes and trash, but there's no way I'm responding. If pressed they'll get a terse, one line, "we'll do what we can but not promising anything." message.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

spankmeister posted:

Yea I know but what I'm saying is that one of their tactics is to open up a command window and pasting ot typing in poo poo like this to scare the mark

This is the only time I've seen that which is why I grabbed the screenshot. More often they open up the event log and go 'Look at all these horrible problems!' The guy that did the command prompt also pulled up 'webcam photos' of the 'Russian and Chinese' hackers trying to break into this PC. Client closed those unfortunately, just left the command prompt open.

Cactus Jack
Nov 16, 2005

If you even try to throw to my side of the field in a dream, you better wake up and apologize.

uPen posted:

I'm being hacked!!

drat that is ghetto. The ones I see at least have the decency to make a batch file and run that to trick people.

code:
@echo off
:hack
echo Checking for hacks...
timeout /t 10 > nul
goto hackdetected

@echo off
:hackdetected
echo HACK DETECTED!
timeout /t 10 > nul
goto endhack

@echo off
:endhack
echo Disabling hackers!
timeout /t 10 > nul
goto antivirus

@echo off
:antivirus
echo Running virus scan...
timeout /t 10 > nul
goto found

@echo off
:found
echo VIRUSES FOUND!
timeout /t 10 > nul
goto dickbutt

@echo off
:dickbutt
echo DICKBUTT
timeout /t 10 > nul
goto Key

@echo off
:Key
echo Computer is now hacker and virus free!
pause > nul

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
Seriously. I feel like that's almost performance art, where they're trying to see how bad a job they can do and still get marks.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Cactus Jack posted:

drat that is ghetto. The ones I see at least have the decency to make a batch file and run that to trick people.

code:
@echo off
:hack
echo Checking for hacks...
timeout /t 10 > nul
goto hackdetected

@echo off
:hackdetected
echo HACK DETECTED!
timeout /t 10 > nul
goto endhack

@echo off
:endhack
echo Disabling hackers!
timeout /t 10 > nul
goto antivirus

@echo off
:antivirus
echo Running virus scan...
timeout /t 10 > nul
goto found

@echo off
:found
echo VIRUSES FOUND!
timeout /t 10 > nul
goto dickbutt

@echo off
:dickbutt
echo DICKBUTT
timeout /t 10 > nul
goto Key

@echo off
:Key
echo Computer is now hacker and virus free!
pause > nul
Fake bat file fuckery from scammers is the best.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3564747&pagenumber=635&perpage=40#post449445320

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Volmarias posted:

Seriously. I feel like that's almost performance art, where they're trying to see how bad a job they can do and still get marks.

http://research.microsoft.com/pubs/167719/WhyFromNigeria.pdf

It's intentionally bad.

They're seeking out the dumbest, most gullible people.

Cactus Jack
Nov 16, 2005

If you even try to throw to my side of the field in a dream, you better wake up and apologize.

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

It's intentionally bad.

I don't know, not every thing scammers do is some brilliant game theory meta game move. If someone has already let them on the computer then that is the majority of the work done. You aren't working on trying to catch a mark, you've already caught them.

In other news, I kept working on that batch file I posted from earlier and it is the most fun thing I've done in awhile. The ascii dickbutt I put in at the end is the pièce de résistance. :haw:

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

Cactus Jack posted:

I don't know, not every thing scammers do is some brilliant game theory meta game move. If someone has already let them on the computer then that is the majority of the work done. You aren't working on trying to catch a mark, you've already caught them.

In other news, I kept working on that batch file I posted from earlier and it is the most fun thing I've done in awhile. The ascii dickbutt I put in at the end is the pièce de résistance. :haw:

Gonna be using this on the next person that I simply don't care for. I'm going to have the "legitimate version" for the "go the hell away" moments and the dickbutt version for when I want them to know I don't like them.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

It's intentionally bad.

If they're on the computer, they're 99% there already, they must need to finish the deal at that point. They don't need to get their targets to self select any further. At that point, it's just showmanship and salesmanship.

fewyn
Apr 6, 2009
So this one is just too hilarious not to post about. (Note: I'm tier 1 hell desk right now)

In the last couple hours I had a customer calling in wanting to sync data from their computer to their shiny new Apple 6s (always a red flag for me). So I do the normal things like ask what version of Windows or Mac they are on and everything. This is where it gets interesting, it's not always easy to get some older customers to remember or find what version of Windows they are running. So I ask is the start button a circle or a square. Their answer it's a rectangle.... I'm like OH they are probably running XP. No big deal still supported technically (you have to dig up a very specific version of iTunes 12 tho for it). So we get it and start downloading it and then it errors out and won't even start. That's pretty odd but not unheard of so I get them to double check their windows version.... drum roll please... Windows 98 :suicide:

Thankfully I quickly noped right out after informing them that their brand new $900 phone won't work with their 20 year old piece of poo computer.

Cactus Jack
Nov 16, 2005

fewyn posted:

So this one is just too hilarious not to post about. (Note: I'm tier 1 hell desk right now)

In the last couple hours I had a customer calling in wanting to sync data from their computer to their shiny new Apple 6s (always a red flag for me). So I do the normal things like ask what version of Windows or Mac they are on and everything. This is where it gets interesting, it's not always easy to get some older customers to remember or find what version of Windows they are running. So I ask is the start button a circle or a square. Their answer it's a rectangle.... I'm like OH they are probably running XP. No big deal still supported technically (you have to dig up a very specific version of iTunes 12 tho for it). So we get it and start downloading it and then it errors out and won't even start. That's pretty odd but not unheard of so I get them to double check their windows version.... drum roll please... Windows 98 :suicide:

Thankfully I quickly noped right out after informing them that their brand new $900 phone won't work with their 20 year old piece of poo computer.

I'm always impressed when something that old is still alive considering most of the people I deal with have trashed their poo poo in less than 3 years. Computers were made of stronger stuff way back when.

I don't believe this would have helped you with this particular computer, but I prefer Windows key + Pause over the start button method when trying to ascertain what version of Windows it is. "Windows key is in the bottom left of the keyboard, looks like 4 boxes or 4 wavy boxes. Okay hold that down and press the pause key. The pause key is in the upper right of the keyboard."

If you can describe things in shapes and locations life gets easier dealing with the public. That and knowing the NATO phonetic alphabet.

fewyn
Apr 6, 2009

Cactus Jack posted:

I'm always impressed when something that old is still alive considering most of the people I deal with have trashed their poo poo in less than 3 years. Computers were made of stronger stuff way back when.

I don't believe this would have helped you with this particular computer, but I prefer Windows key + Pause over the start button method when trying to ascertain what version of Windows it is. "Windows key is in the bottom left of the keyboard, looks like 4 boxes or 4 wavy boxes. Okay hold that down and press the pause key. The pause key is in the upper right of the keyboard."

If you can describe things in shapes and locations life gets easier dealing with the public. That and knowing the NATO phonetic alphabet.

Yeah Win + Pause break is what I normally use but this specific customer did not have a Windows key on their keyboard. Don't think that started becoming standard on keyboards until the Windows XP era really.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

Cactus Jack posted:

I had a customer who was using a primarily MS DOS (had 3.11 on it) version of quicken(books? something) for her personal accounting uses. She backed everything up on floppies. When the computer died, she wanted us to import all of those floppies into a version of quicken that was at least 10 years newer than hers, then got upset that it wouldn't import properly.

mewse
May 2, 2006

fewyn posted:

Yeah Win + Pause break is what I normally use but this specific customer did not have a Windows key on their keyboard. Don't think that started becoming standard on keyboards until the Windows XP era really.

Ctrl-Esc opens the start menu as well, not sure if it would have done that with Win98 tho

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

mewse posted:

Ctrl-Esc opens the start menu as well, not sure if it would have done that with Win98 tho

Literally a question on the A+ exam three years ago :suicide:

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

larchesdanrew posted:

Literally a question on the A+ exam three years ago :suicide:

And yet I did not know that :(

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Ctrl+Shift+Esc opens task manager, very useful for not having to get a stupid GUI to open task manager. Its faster then Right clicking the taskbar or going through the Task Manager / Lock / Logout fluff they added. (use your thumb for ctrl+shift to do it one handed)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Didn't mean that to sound so insulting. I mean the A+ exam a mere three years ago was asking for keyboard shortcuts to open the start menu in Windows 98.

Here's a story about my predecessor:

Apparently, the guy I replaced was actually Ferris Bueller.

I was lamenting to some colleagues about how I've only been here a month and I feel guilty that I've already had to use two sick days (fun fact: The first 8 hours of consecutive sick time gets taken from personal time here and then anything over 8 hours per occurrence starts deducting from sick time. :suicide:) and I've taken a few long lunches to get personal, divorce-related affairs in order.

The principal told me not to worry because I'm miles ahead of my predecessor, we'll call him Mark. Well, Mark was playing the longest con I've ever seen. He worked here for five years, and, when he started, he immediately began fostering a de facto rule that if his door was shut, he was not to be disturbed. His door would only be shut if he was on the phone, in the bathroom, or out on campus. Pretty much the grounds I have been trying to impress upon people. Now it makes sense why the director has been so pissy about my door being shut. Here's why:

Mark had a house a few blocks away. Mark was always at his house. Mark was never here.

Mark had his office Buellered the gently caress out to make it SEEM like he was in, though. He had his computer set to play a random selection of sound files of himself talking on the phone. Last week, I discovered the timer he had installed at one point to turn the bathroom fan on and off to make it seem like he was taking a poo poo. He had his office phone set to forward all calls to his cell phone. He insisted on parking across campus instead of his designated spot next to the building. He claimed he preferred to walk and get the exercise, but he was a fat, lazy piece of poo poo and this was completely unbelievable. He parked across campus so no one could check to see if his car was actually here.

He would stay at home a good 80% of the day and have his automated office trick people into thinking he was inside, but no one would dare even knock on the door if he was on the phone, lest they face his wrath.

The man was a diabolical genius.

A Frosty Witch fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Feb 22, 2016

• Locked thread