Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

Relin posted:

I wonder how this will effect league of legends, if at all (since Riot is owned by a Chinese company, maybe not)

http://qz.com/620076/beijing-is-banning-all-foreign-media-from-publishing-online-in-china/
“Sino-foreign joint ventures, Sino-foreign cooperative ventures, and foreign business units shall not engage in online publishing services,” the rules state. Any publisher of online content, including “texts, pictures, maps, games, animations, audios, and videos,” will also be required to store their “necessary technical equipment, related servers, and storage devices” in China, the directive says. Any “online publication service units” needs to get prior approval from SARFT if they want to cooperate on a project with any foreign company, joint venture, or individual.

affects nothing, tencent has enough guanxi to bypass laws

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler

The Mash posted:

I've only played it 2-3 times and usually the Olaf has used axes to farm caster minions and used his Ult to disengage when I've ulted to turn a trade into an all-in. I guess I've only played against pansy-rear end Olafs so far

that's the thing with olaf: never play passive or safely with olaf

you can outduel just about anyone in the game just with W, and E adds massive burst to you as well

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

The new lifesteal keystone is going to be nuts on Olaf right

rest his guts
Mar 3, 2013

...pls father forgive me
for my terrible post history...
Is it possible to carry yourself out of Bronze as a top or do you pretty much have to play ADC? Just started playing again and I pretty much only like playing Fiora, Trundle, Renekton and Xin top

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
you play fiora. If you play her well you can easily carry yourself out of bronze. poo poo I'm doing it on support right now.

e; carrying myself out of bronze, that is. Naut sup is god.

bike appreciator
Mar 19, 2011

rest his guts posted:

Is it possible to carry yourself out of Bronze as a top or do you pretty much have to play ADC? Just started playing again and I pretty much only like playing Fiora, Trundle, Renekton and Xin top

I think ADC is one of the worse positions to "carry" from. I always feel like without a team you can't do a ton.

You can carry yourself out of any division, with anything, though. Especially bronze.

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
You should be able to get out of bronze playing whatever

Present
Oct 28, 2011

by Shine
Can someone give me a primer on Udyr re: fighting dudes? Like I run up and stun the guy then what, Phoenix? Or tiger? What's the thought process on how to choose stances when doing 1v1 vs groupfights, basically.

And any help with masteries/items for him would be much appreciated as well :)

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
It is extremely easy to carry hard as a tank at low Elo. Your survivability lets you make tons of mistakes, and because nobody is any good people overextend and overcommit to such a degree that you can easily kill them even on a tank. All you really have to do is understand what makes a favorable trade for your lane opponent, then avoid one of those things and go ham and you will win your lane insanely hard.

Present posted:

Can someone give me a primer on Udyr re: fighting dudes? Like I run up and stun the guy then what, Phoenix? Or tiger? What's the thought process on how to choose stances when doing 1v1 vs groupfights, basically.

And any help with masteries for him would be much appreciated as well :)

The thing about stances with Udyr is you have to be thinking ahead. You frequently want to stun someone and then Phoenix for your next auto. To do this, you have to time using Bear stance 2 seconds before you will get to them. Ideally, you will time Turtle 2 seconds before that to mitigate damage as you come in, as well as to stack your passive. You could hit Bear 4 seconds before the Turtle to get you there quicker and start stacking your passive then. If you hit R and are just out of range behind someone, then you hit E to catch up to them, now you can't actually do damage during the stun. If you're in a slapfight with someone, don't hit Turtle just after Phoenix, because you won't get any more on hit damage out. Instead time your stance changes so you're only in Turtle for 2 seconds and are in Phoenix for 4.

As far as group fights, Udyr is bad at tanking everyone with his face, but having a shield and stun on such a low cooldown make him incredibly good at mitigating bits of damage while ducking in and out of a fight. You also are an good peeler since you can just slap people one after the other to stun them, which really helps gently caress assassins over. He's also more or less the fastest champion in the game in a sustained fight, so use your mobility to dodge things and to bait and punish other people's positioning.

As far as builds and stuff, champion.gg and probuilds should be your starting point for figuring out what to do.

K8.0 fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Feb 20, 2016

rest his guts
Mar 3, 2013

...pls father forgive me
for my terrible post history...

Kashuno posted:

you play fiora. If you play her well you can easily carry yourself out of bronze. poo poo I'm doing it on support right now.

e; carrying myself out of bronze, that is. Naut sup is god.

I think I'm playing her okay, I can usually hit vitals and the aa e aa q hydra aa combo seems to pump a lot of damage but I'm also playing against huge retards because I'm only level 20. Good to know, though. Lucian looks so boring

rest his guts fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Feb 20, 2016

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004

rest his guts posted:

Play anything that can splitpush well and keep splitpushing

People in Bronze and Silver will have no idea how to deal with it

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
Is there any room for Shiv on new GP or should I basically just be going Triforce, Boots, IE, Reaver, Armor Pen Item, Tank Item almost every time?

I could see maybe taking out the reaver if you had like scaling CDR runes and CDR boots or something but otherwise it seems like the huge amount of CDR you get from it is too valuable not to get

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
You don't really need shiv because barrels give him the aoe burst/waveclear that shiv gave old gp

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

rest his guts posted:

It's very possible to carry top, but it takes some awareness. It helps to know how to splitpush, especially when to stick around and hammer away and when to retreat and waste rotating enemies' time and pressure. You also need to be able to identify good teleport opportunities around the map, unless you took ignite in which case your duty to your team is to crush the other top and if you fail that you're effectively down a summoner as far as they're concerned.

The winning strategy is different for every toplaner though (and there are variations in potential playstyles even then) so the best thing you can do is to look into what is for your favorites and play into it.

For example, Tryndamere and Singed are both very good splitpushers. However, Singed trades in less inherent damage to towers for amazing teamfighting capabilities so he usually wants to take teleport and run a disruption train for his team at key points in the game, while Tryndamere is pretty awful at teamfights so he usually wants to run Ignite and wait to duel someone who tries to stop his split (or spin out of fights he can't handle, wasting enemy pressure).

I find that teamfight tp splitters in general are very good at carrying games(maybe because they're what I'm most comfortable with, mind), but just about any pick can carry if you fulfill their role to its potential.

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT

henkman posted:

You should be able to get out of bronze playing whatever

you can carry as any champ in any role if you are good enough. what matters is your attitude, willingness to improve, and time.

henkman
Oct 8, 2008

How Rude posted:

you can carry as any champ in any role if you are good enough. what matters is your attitude, willingness to improve, and time.

Agreed, it's just that the bar for "escaping bronze" is so low that when anyone asks how the answer really is just "get good"

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
actively staying in bronze is the equivalent of asking goons to stop pissing in the well

A Stupid Baby
Dec 31, 2002

lip up fatty

henkman posted:

Agreed, it's just that the bar for "escaping bronze" is so low that when anyone asks how the answer really is just "get good"

I found it got easier when I started going ADC more - it's not that I'm good at ADC and I'm worse an it than either support or top but going ADC prevents your team from having a really terrible side-farming hunk o' junk if you do it and don't get double owned.

Playing tanks is also probably not the best idea, because being able to mitigate or peel for people who are prone to actively throwing away their own lives or waddling around in a circle isn't as valuable as not being a suicidal circle-waddler yourself. IMO.

Shen is exempt from the tank rule because hes capable of making GBS threads on lanes pretty hard and also actively undoing mistakes and turning them into benefits. Renekton is probably the worst because he splits the difference between lane bully and tank in exactly the wrong ways to solo carry.

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

False enemy or true friend?
In addition to some of the stuff people has said, I'm gonna assume everyone in here is a grown rear end adult so the whole notion of tilting is ridiculous. It's super prevalent when you go down the tiers where people get super pissed off about everything and anything, so keeping a cool head on your shoulders is also a good way to improve.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Runic Echoes Tiger Udyr. There's no god in bronze.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

:toot: RIP ZEEZ :toot:

Kashuno posted:

Runic Echoes Tiger Udyr. There's no god in bronze.

Except for Udyr. Run him in any elo, he is straight up broken right now.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

foutre posted:

He's not broken. Runic Echoes giving 10% movespeed is just silly.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

I really don't think Runic Echoes alone is responsible for his 58% winrate.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

The Shortest Path posted:

I really don't think Runic Echoes alone is responsible for his 58% winrate.

Pure AD comps are also really helping boost his numbers. Being able to build pure armor is awesome on Udyr. Plus, those same teams play no peel.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Bronze is kind of a mess for the first month or 2 of the season when you can get people who were silver or gold last season and haven't gotten around to climbing back up again going against people who just started playing. there will be games where your bot lane duo goes 0-10 by 10 minutes and you're being repeatedly killed by a 3 item kalista under your inhibitor tower before 20 and you need to just shrug those ones off as unwinnable and keep your own play consistent and in the long run you'll win more than you lose.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

foutre posted:

let me tell you this udyr was not a god that is sure.

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
If you were gold last season you shouldn't have been placed in bronze unless you tanked your MMR because you were carried

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004

Stefan Prodan posted:

Is there any room for Shiv on new GP or should I basically just be going Triforce, Boots, IE, Reaver, Armor Pen Item, Tank Item almost every time?

I could see maybe taking out the reaver if you had like scaling CDR runes and CDR boots or something but otherwise it seems like the huge amount of CDR you get from it is too valuable not to get

You get ER because you only want Raw AD and Crit on GP, his best build is something like Tri/ER/IE/IE. He doesn't need armour pen because his barrels have it passively, though Maw is a really good item on him because the passive is crazy good.

GenericGirlName
Apr 10, 2012

Why did you post that?

AHH FUGH posted:

What's your IGN, I can add you on a low elo smurf

ShardInspector is my IGN :O! I'll be glad to have more goons to play with, but I should probably just start playing as something with more pushing power than nami or build more AP mid/late game on nami to pull myself out of bronze : (

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler

ohhhh my god yes it is going to be nuts

this is the olaf buff no one expected or asked for

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
All these goons playing together and still I can't find some OCE ones :(

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

It's going to be on anyone who benefits from being at low HP or tends to have extended periods of time there (ie. Aatrox, Olaf, Trynd all come to mind immediately). It'll also be good on dudes like Yasuo who can apply pressure with skills that benefit from the effect.

Oh, and it will also be good on pretty much every single auto-attack jungler because extra life steal there is great.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

:toot: RIP ZEEZ :toot:

GenericGirlName posted:

ShardInspector is my IGN :O! I'll be glad to have more goons to play with, but I should probably just start playing as something with more pushing power than nami or build more AP mid/late game on nami to pull myself out of bronze : (

Build Banner of Command on AP supports if you need the pushing power; I don't think Nami is the best as a carry support -- she's very good at laning, and has great cc, but doesn't scale as well imo. I'd suggest Morgana for a more traditional support that can scale really well off of AP while peeling well. Other good options for aggro supports that can build carry are Vel'koz, Zyra, and Brand, each of which can build Banner/push well independently. My impression is that bronze games go on forever, and any of those 3 can get huge picks/teamfight wins later game with items.

I'm personally a fan of Bard to carry; Zzz'rot and Banner are very legitimate on him, he does a ton of damage andcan roam to snowball the game really easily.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
Ok I have a weird problem and it doesn't make any sense. There's about a 1/4 chance that starting a game of league will completely kill my internet connection for exactly 10 minutes. No internet access whatsoever. It's pretty reproducible.

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

sounds like a problem with your router

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Methanar posted:

Ok I have a weird problem and it doesn't make any sense. There's about a 1/4 chance that starting a game of league will completely kill my internet connection for exactly 10 minutes. No internet access whatsoever. It's pretty reproducible.

Aren't you in IT? Turn it off and back on again or something

stump collector
May 28, 2007
Every time I play the first game of the day my ping is insanely high for the entire game. I usually have 20ms but I have between 150 and 250ms until I restart my pc. Restarting client doesn't fix. It's annoying as poo poo. Don't have any ping issues in any other game.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

rest his guts posted:

Top and Jungle are the most impactful roles in the game.

Umbreon
May 21, 2011

NTT posted:

actively staying in bronze is the equivalent of asking goons to stop pissing in the well

I was gold in season 3, then quit ranked until now.

Got placed in Bronze 2, and I literally don't ever want to leave. EVERYONE is terrible on both sides, and I can do the absolute dumbest poo poo ever and get away with it because no one knows how to do anything. Truly, this must be where the REAL elo heaven is. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Spiros posted:

Top and Jungle are the most impactful roles in the game.

Not true at all. A skilled player in any role can influence a game heavily. Case in point, I just got to watch support Elise carry a team via tons of roaming ganks in mid. Like, she rushed swifties and just constantly showed up mid (sometimes with the jungler, many times without) and crushed someone's dreams. While she wasn't making GBS threads damage or anything, she was able to convert a lot of presence into kills and gold for the enemy mid-laner.

• Locked thread