Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Beter twee tetten in de hand dan tien op de vlucht.
The best thing about ME3 was the multiplayer, it was awesome for the couple hundred hours i put into it. I hope it comes back in the same form in Andromeda.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
The funny thing about ME2 is that they made the story pointless. That reaper could have been built for all we care, the other ones still came from dark space despite the relay being taken from them, and one more extra reaper would have meant nothing in the grand scheme of things.

Then, ME3 has you amassing armies whose only purpose is to run into laser beams, and there's still no real explanation for reaper ground-troops when you have near invincible alien ships that can lay waste to entire cities by themselves.

ME1 has the most effective story because you have a plot with actual purpose.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Mymla posted:

ME2's ending was better. ME2 was better in just about every single way, actually.

The jump from 1 to 2 is possibly the best jump in quality I've ever personally felt. It would have only been better if I could have gone in blind without knowing Shepard was going to get spaced. Maybe my daughter can enjoy it if she grows to like that sort of thing and I can get into it vicariously.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Spikeguy posted:

The jump from 1 to 2 is possibly the best jump in quality I've ever personally felt. It would have only been better if I could have gone in blind without knowing Shepard was going to get spaced. Maybe my daughter can enjoy it if she grows to like that sort of thing and I can get into it vicariously.

I just wish you could speed up your space walk a little in future replays. It's fun seeing space through your broken hull the first time, though.

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves

tadashi posted:

I just wish you could speed up your space walk a little in future replays. It's fun seeing space through your broken hull the first time, though.

Yeah, after fighting up the outside of the citadel control tower at normal speed during the end of the previous game, the slow plodding magnetic boots in a vacuum thing didn't really ring true for me.

I did go into it blind and I found the Shepard Dies thing to be a bad contrivance. And then I found the "reconstruct Shepard from scratch, discounting all the progress you made in the last game" obnoxious. And then I found the "Your team went their separate ways" obnoxious. And then I found the "Tali can't join you" obnoxious. In fact, leading up to the Archangel recruitment mission, I felt all the existing callbacks were obnoxious and the game designers were copping out on the whole "import your character, your choices mattered" thing, and after a few hours of apathy, I was mildly annoyed. And then they reintroduce Garrus only to take him away again and I was like "oh gently caress you".

And so help me, I was overjoyed when he actually survived and walked into the briefing room cracking jokes. It was the first real emotional beat in the whole game for me.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
https://www.reddit.com/r/masseffect/comments/46luif/more_info_from_yesterdays_mea_leak/

More leak stuff:

bioware pubbie posted:

OK got to talk to my buddy more.

So the ship flying around happen's somewhat like in the trailer as I said. You CAN partially direct the shuttle to the planet as you land, he did not know if there were limits to that.

Now weapons. Some weapons have cool down, some have thermal clips. Mods are back in full force and there are beam weapons. Mods work in synergy so some mods will complement one another better than others meaning the whole might be more than the sum of the parts. He also said you can mod some weapons to take clips OR cool down.

Apparently a lot of this revolves on finding ancient artifacts of a civilization that colonized that part of andromeda in the past. Sounds suspiciously familiar.

(Source: http://forum.bioware.com/topic/569831-oki-know-how-this-is-gonna-sound/page-10)

Looks like a lot of people are gonna get there wish with a mix of ME1-style cooldown and ME2/3-style thermal-clip weapons.

The ancient artifact part aligns with the "Remnant" plot we learned in the survey leak.

EDIT:
Also something about a bunch of these new peoples you meet being pre-space faring... PRIMITIVES!!

some mods bonuses get encased [increased] effectiveness if paired with other specific mods.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Sounds interesting. Seems like BioWare is going heavy with the exploration/colonization route. But it also sounds like there is a danger of it being completely underwhelming. Dozens of copy-paste settlement customization projects, etc.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Rhjamiz posted:

Sounds interesting. Seems like BioWare is going heavy with the exploration/colonization route. But it also sounds like there is a danger of it being completely underwhelming. Dozens of copy-paste settlement customization projects, etc.

Here, let me mark it on your galaxy map

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Pattonesque posted:

Here, let me mark it on your galaxy map

Commander Shepard, there's colonies out there that need our help!

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

I like the idea of being the ones to make first contact.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

my uncle works for bioware and he says that the plot of ME:A will be figuring out a way to stop ancient aliens from crashing Andromeda into the Milky Way

I intended that as a joke but the more I think about it the more plausible it seems

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

Thor-Stryker posted:

The funny thing about ME2 is that they made the story pointless. That reaper could have been built for all we care, the other ones still came from dark space despite the relay being taken from them, and one more extra reaper would have meant nothing in the grand scheme of things.

Then, ME3 has you amassing armies whose only purpose is to run into laser beams, and there's still no real explanation for reaper ground-troops when you have near invincible alien ships that can lay waste to entire cities by themselves.

ME1 has the most effective story because you have a plot with actual purpose.

but it all makes metaphorical sense so it's good and not dumb

CPFortest
Jun 2, 2009

Did you not pour me out like milk, and curdle me like cheese?
The "Plot"

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
So did ME3 screw things up so bad they had to change galaxies to make a sequel work?

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
That's not really the problem with ME3's ending, and is a perfectly serviceable way of continuing a franchise of this type.

The fact that ME3's ending has that kind of finality to it is one of its few strengths, actually.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Coughing Hobo posted:

That's not really the problem with ME3's ending, and is a perfectly serviceable way of continuing a franchise of this type.

The fact that ME3's ending has that kind of finality to it is one of its few strengths, actually.

I don't really see why, I presume that if they're in a different galaxy the races and political structures will be so different that it might as well be a separate series.

Also finality can be a thing, at least for Shepard's story, without wrecking most of the milky way.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

khwarezm posted:

So did ME3 screw things up so bad they had to change galaxies to make a sequel work?

Basically, yes.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Blowing up the relays was a good move regardless of what else happened.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

khwarezm posted:

I don't really see why, I presume that if they're in a different galaxy the races and political structures will be so different that it might as well be a separate series.

Bluh?

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Beter twee tetten in de hand dan tien op de vlucht.

khwarezm posted:

Also finality can be a thing, at least for Shepard's story, without wrecking most of the milky way.

Leave it to Bioware that a completely new galaxy will somehow also have a Citadel and a galactic government and youmanity ends up joining it at the end of Andromeda.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Alain Post posted:

Blowing up the relays was a good move regardless of what else happened.

Everything else, however, was not.

Personally, I'd have accepted a complete reboot, but going off into a new galaxy works just as well. It's probably less work anyway than trying to rewrite a new history for everyone and has less chance of pissing people off.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Since other galaxies didn't have Reapers their peoples have been able to progress without trouble over millions of years and have therefore evolved into energy beings who use naked singularities for computing. I will accept no other setting.

2house2fly fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Feb 20, 2016

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

khwarezm posted:

Their "problem" is that there's three endings and each changes the setting in a completely different but fundamental way. But even ignoring the endings the state of the galaxy could be quite different with regards to the krogan and ranoch stuff.

Avalerion fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Feb 20, 2016

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

It's also nice to have a setting that gets to ignore previous events so there's no need to account for things like Wrex/Wreav, whether or not you cured the genophage, whether or not the quarians or geth don't exist, etc. The Wrex/Wreav thing in particular is a gameplay decision that would 4 games back that would still be necessitating alternate content unless you completely ignored the krogan somehow.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

Khizan posted:

It's also nice to have a setting that gets to ignore previous events so there's no need to account for things like Wrex/Wreav, whether or not you cured the genophage, whether or not the quarians or geth don't exist, etc. The Wrex/Wreav thing in particular is a gameplay decision that would 4 games back that would still be necessitating alternate content unless you completely ignored the krogan somehow.

But will it ignore the 'grand scheme' the authors dug themselves into? Reapers were created to prevent species from developing sentient AI. Do the reapers cycle through all other galaxies in the known universe and do the same thing or do we have a magical reason for why certain galaxies aren't acing themselves with sentient AI?

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Because the reapers were wrong? The only sentient AI that keeps destroying civilizations were the reapers themselves, this wasn't a real dilemma that needed solving.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

Avalerion posted:

Because the reapers were wrong? The only sentient AI that keeps destroying civilizations were the reapers themselves, this wasn't a real dilemma that needed solving.

Correct, but wouldn't the reapers be pillaging other galaxies in order to prevent them from developing sentient AI as well?

Only thing I can think of is Andromeda being seeded with life recently (in the cosmic scale) thus the reapers not needing to invade yet because the local races haven't advanced enough. Or perhaps Andromeda's reaper cycle is still in the middle.

Otherwise we will be seeing super advanced ai or as the other goon said, supreme beings that haven't been hindered by a galaxy level extinction event.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

Thor-Stryker posted:

But will it ignore the 'grand scheme' the authors dug themselves into? Reapers were created to prevent species from developing sentient AI. Do the reapers cycle through all other galaxies in the known universe and do the same thing or do we have a magical reason for why certain galaxies aren't acing themselves with sentient AI?

No, because it is a story.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Thor-Stryker posted:

Correct, but wouldn't the reapers be pillaging other galaxies in order to prevent them from developing sentient AI as well?

Only thing I can think of is Andromeda being seeded with life recently (in the cosmic scale) thus the reapers not needing to invade yet because the local races haven't advanced enough. Or perhaps Andromeda's reaper cycle is still in the middle.

Otherwise we will be seeing super advanced ai or as the other goon said, supreme beings that haven't been hindered by a galaxy level extinction event.

Or maybe whoever programmed the reapers only set them to watch the milky way.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Don't think about it to hard, it's already nonsensical. Further thought does you no good.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

The Mass Effect 3 ending is some drat win

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
I'm not really feeling the Vanguard in ME2, being around level 12. In ME1, I used the pistol most of the time early on and then the shotgun mid-to late game combined with a bit of lifting.

In ME2 it feels like the shotguns have no range even for a video game and so I have to plink enemies with my heavy pistol or the SMG (at least got the one from Kasumi's DLC). And while I can see the appeal of charge, it feels kinda silly and not really in tune with the rest of the cover shooter combat.

Am I missing some key power before the Vanguard really kicks into gear, or would I be better off playing another class? (Thinking of soldier or adept, due to them probably being closer to ME1 vanguard.)

Preemptively asking this question for ME3 as well.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Randler posted:

I'm not really feeling the Vanguard in ME2, being around level 12. In ME1, I used the pistol most of the time early on and then the shotgun mid-to late game combined with a bit of lifting.

In ME2 it feels like the shotguns have no range even for a video game and so I have to plink enemies with my heavy pistol or the SMG (at least got the one from Kasumi's DLC). And while I can see the appeal of charge, it feels kinda silly and not really in tune with the rest of the cover shooter combat.

Am I missing some key power before the Vanguard really kicks into gear, or would I be better off playing another class? (Thinking of soldier or adept, due to them probably being closer to ME1 vanguard.)

If you're not doing charge-boom-charge as a vanguard then you are Doing It Wrong

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I'm playing through ME2 right now and the Vanguard was quite a shock when I started playing. It's very different from what it was in ME1, where I was constantly using Barrier and Warp, neither of which is a power the Vanguard gets in ME2.

Vanguard in ME2 is based pretty much entirely on Charging, and also knowing when not to Charge. Once you max Charge and upgrade your defensive capabilities, you can be charging every few seconds, so it lets you play in a manner that would be suicidal for any other class. You can Charge into groups of enemies, kill the one you charged into with melee and close range shots, then Charge into another enemy the second your shields are depleted. But not for the first 10 levels.

ME1 combat could be very samey; in a lot of missions it was easy to get lines of enemies rushing you so that you could easily gun them down with a shotgun one after the other. (I'm not a FPS player, so I find in ME2 I have to pick my shots a lot more carefully with the shotgun. In fact, I don't actually use the shotgun much either. In the beginning, when I had to be more careful, I used the SMG, and then I switched to the Mattock assault rifle as soon as I gained proficiency with it.)

But yeah, it's frustrating that a) Vanguard becomes a very new and different class from what it was in ME1, and b) it's based on rushing in, in a sequel that suddenly punishes you for rushing in much more than ME1 did.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
ME2 Vanguard:

1) Only put points into Charge until it's Level 4.

2) Charge constantly.

If you don't like Charging, then play a different class.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Feb 22, 2016

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

Randler posted:

Vanguard took a bit to click for me, I was getting wasted constantly but eventually I figured out the rhythm to properly charging and it became a ton of fun. Getting Charge to max might be what I had to do to really get into the class but I think it was more of a mental thing in understanding the optimal time to charge.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

As a Vanguard you should ABC. Always be Chargin'.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Randler posted:

That chart is pretty good for most of ME2 combat. Also, don't use shotguns without charging, they do double damage at close range. ME3 vanguards are a bit more complex, with the great new skill of nova, which is a self-centered explosion that strips you of all your shields, and quite a few enemies having insta-kill skills in melee.

Wenn du keine Lust hast, dauernd Gegner anzustürmen, dann ist Vanguard nichts für dich. Play adept instead.

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Imagine I said something deep here...

Torrannor posted:

ME3 vanguards are a bit more complex, with the great new skill of nova, which is a self-centered explosion that strips you of all your shields, and quite a few enemies having insta-kill skills in melee.

10 CHARGE
20 NOVA
30 ROLL BACK-LEFT IMMEDIATELY
40 GOTO 10

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Potato
May 26, 2012

PO-TAY-TOES
Boil 'em, mash 'em, cook 'em in a stew

Torrannor posted:

ME3 vanguards are a bit more complex, with the great new skill of nova, which is a self-centered explosion that strips you of all your shields, and quite a few enemies having insta-kill skills in melee.

ME3 Vanguard is unbelievably fun. I played soldier my first time through and it gets the job done, but once I did ME2 and ME3 Vanguard, it's hard to play any other way. Even on the hardest difficulties it sometimes trivializes the combat, but you don't care because you're having so much fun. I know when I played 3, I just maxed out Charge and Nova, choosing the chance for no cooldown thing for like both of them, and maxing the Disciple and just Charge -> Shotgun -> Nova -> Charge -> Shotgun -> Nova until everything was dead. Even Banshees die to like 3 of those chains. I never played ME1 so I don't really know how much different it was, but it is literally the best class in both 2 and 3. Undeniably.

I just finished up the main story line (always do Citadel last) as an Adept on Hardcore, and it's pretty fun, too. It's really overpowered as well, since biotic explosions are so strong and I always just take Liara everywhere so there's rarely a biotic explosion not happening, but it didn't have the same oomph.

I've thought about playing again as a RemManShep Infiltrator, but I couldn't get into last time I tried it on 2. Is it actually any fun?

• Locked thread