Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Digital Fingers posted:

Anyone else getting "500 Internal server" popping up a bunch when they try to post and junk?

e: this is the first post I made where I didn't have to retry 2-3 times.

no but the forums seem to work a bit slow

you should post about this in qcs though imo

edit: the reason:

zen death robot posted:

forums1 decided to flip out - i took it out of the rotation for now while i work on it

Hogge Wild fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Feb 20, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

dad gay. so what posted:

im still waiting for the response to my general grievances, however, nice av glixicon or whatever.

thanks dad

are your threads still being gassed?

and yeah things are going slow

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)
please post a thread as a test dgsw

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

dgsw post a thread about otters please. Tia

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
i will never post again

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

dad gay. so what posted:

i will never post again

:(

Digital Fingers
Sep 2, 2012

Yeah mods need to ease up a bit on the thread gassing and the arbitrary and subjective enforcement of no-no words.

Like all the probs and bans for racism and rape talk and straight up horrible poo poo has been great but they see how successful that's been and it emboldens them to go a little too gung-ho and start going after poo poo that 90% of people couldn't care less about.
Go to far GBS starts to get lovely.

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
probate everyoen who posts the word "the"

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Putty posted:

probate everyoen who posts the word "the"

you just did it twice!!!

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

now i've done it by quoting you!

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
While I don't mind short probations for "bad words", imo, saying human being shouldn't be 1 day when a death threat is just 6h. If i was a mod, death threats would be from a month to perma. And posters who have clearly shown that they're here only for making these forums a worse place, like Lung Brothers, gagelion and Effectronica would be permaed immediately.

Digital Fingers
Sep 2, 2012

If you're calling a dude a human being because he's acting like a big lame dumby it's good. If you're calling a homosexual a human being because you hate homosexuals you can get banned.
It's usually incredibly loving easy to tell the difference..

The thing is we need to be able to use that language for the sake of calling out bad posters, when you call a dude a bad poster they'll launch into a diatribe about how they're not a bad poster and you get a huge lovely derail that makes them feel justified because of it because everyone feels like they're forced to respond in kind. If you call them a human being and they start writing paragraphs about how they aren't a human being and are actually insanely good and cool they just end up looking like a bigger human being and it's funny and marks them as socially maladjusted.

Even the fact that we can use these word in GBS stops a lot of the worst posters from coming here to start with and that's good. In my experence posting in old abe GBS and new GBS for the last 4 years is that the people who make a big deal out of people using the no-no words are universally terrible- They don't make jokes, they don't make content, and they don't post anything interesting.
Those types are the ones that only seem to be on the site to share opinions for the sake of self-validation and talk about nothing else.

They're the type of poster that ruined the first iteration of GBS and for the love of god you shouldn't let them move back in here.
Like even this loving post right here, i'm forced to explain why these things should be okay by making a big lovely post, this isn't fun for me to type, it's not fun to read, no one wants this.

Digital Fingers fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Feb 21, 2016

AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx

Hogge Wild posted:

While I don't mind short probations for "bad words", imo, saying human being shouldn't be 1 day when a death threat is just 6h. If i was a mod, death threats would be from a month to perma. And posters who have clearly shown that they're here only for making these forums a worse place, like Lung Brothers, gagelion and Effectronica would be permaed immediately.

diaf human being

the great deceiver
Sep 23, 2003

why the feds worried bout me clockin on this corner/
when there's politicians out here gettin popped in arizona
im putting on my pants and going to work :sigh:

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
i think the political correctness about "fag" and "human being" and "gay" has gotten a little out of hand. i feel constrained by these restaints on common internet euphamisms. i have found myself resorting to the word "retard" which isnt as satisfying, on a personal level. political corectness gone wild imo

Enfield
May 30, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

dad gay. so what posted:

i think the political correctness about "fag" and "human being" and "gay" has gotten a little out of hand. i feel constrained by these restaints on common internet euphamisms. i have found myself resorting to the word "retard" which isnt as satisfying, on a personal level. political corectness gone wild imo

yeah im.just calling everyone retards. i need to cast of these shackles. i will go to war with u brother. ill see you on the fields of mars *bangs shirld*

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.
i like calling people "poopy numbskull", is that a slur?

Dr. Dogballs Jr.
Jun 9, 2014

the angriest sex machine
cripple fight?

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS

the great deceiver posted:

im putting on my pants and going to work :sigh:

why don't you skip the pants today?

Digital Fingers
Sep 2, 2012

dad gay. so what posted:

my comments on this are all spurred on by this poo poo I found through the leper colony last night:

some massive loving wiener posted:

It's a slur that denigrates women, just like "kike" denigrates Jewish people or "friend of the family" denigrates blacks. When you use a word like that, you're reducing someone to a single characteristic that signals that they have little or no worth, based on their gender, religion, or skin color. This isn't something new that came about from Tumblr in the last year.

I mean, I get that in much of the English-speaking world, it's a catch-all term on the level of calling someone an rear end in a top hat. At the same time, it's an ugly word with a nasty history and it's pretty offensive when it's used as a slur. If you're going to use it on an American-based message board, and it's been explained why it's offensive/taboo, and you have the power of the Internet to explore the history and loaded meaning of the word, go nuts, but understand why people bristle at your use of that word.

this sack of poo poo reported the word oval office and someone ended up getting a day probation as a result.
then nooner used the word human being as part of a joke commenting on how ridiculous it was and he got a day too.

why they gently caress is this type of person influencing whats okay to post in GBS?

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Enfield posted:

yeah im.just calling everyone retards. i need to cast of these shackles. i will go to war with u brother. ill see you on the fields of mars *bangs shirld*

we will journey to the center of the sun, fellow human being. *holds you close really tightly so you cant move* *presses the "sun" button*

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Putty posted:

why don't you skip the pants today?

do you work at home?

:troll:

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
who knew dad gay would finally take his own life after posting about it for so long in the most complicated way possible

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Digital Fingers posted:

my comments on this are all spurred on by this poo poo I found through the leper colony last night:

this sack of poo poo reported the word oval office and someone ended up getting a day probation as a result.
then nooner used the word human being as part of a joke commenting on how ridiculous it was and he got a day too.

why they gently caress is this type of person influencing whats okay to post in GBS?

im more concerned with the personal vendetta against me at the moment. i will try and help that human being once my poo poo gets sorted out por favor

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
relevant

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NAUgCm-3Tc

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.

love when people post this 10 year old video due to how mr. ck is p much exactly the polar opposite of this now.

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Digital Fingers posted:

mods dont read things, they just act on instinct. however the exeption is something, mr. genesplicer seems to actually digest the meaning of a post and the context of the thread and it seems to be good. so i guess genesplicer for admin.

whoflungpoop
Sep 9, 2004

With you and the constellations

Digital Fingers posted:

some ladies get very offended at the word

every time i can remember being called a oval office was due to mightily pissing off some guy so i consider it a smug and somewhat hairy trophy

Digital Fingers
Sep 2, 2012

^ Most of the women my own age I hang out with use the word all the time, honestly the only people i've known to get offended by oval office have been babyboomers and poo poo. E: looking at this it sorta seems like i'm implying i'm a lady, i'm not

Good video

Digital Fingers posted:

I don't need some human being trying and regulate my word usage; Especially if the oval office has no stake in the dick sucking game and thinks they're doing gays a favor by reinforcing the use of human being as a word that can only mean "gay person", yeah know?

Digital Fingers fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Feb 21, 2016

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

individually we can be picked up and snapped like twigs
but when everyone is bundled tightly together GBS is a gigantic human being

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS

dreezy posted:

love when people post this 10 year old video due to how mr. ck is p much exactly the polar opposite of this now.

i begin to push your head into your spine using my index finger until you are a neckless meatman

Digital Fingers
Sep 2, 2012

Saint Isaias Boner posted:

Fagcism

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
i'll have to admit though human being is my word of choice when i lose to bullshit in Super Smash Brothers

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

Digital Fingers posted:

Yeah mods need to ease up a bit on the thread gassing and the arbitrary and subjective enforcement of no-no words.

Like all the probs and bans for racism and rape talk and straight up horrible poo poo has been great but they see how successful that's been and it emboldens them to go a little too gung-ho and start going after poo poo that 90% of people couldn't care less about.
Go to far GBS starts to get lovely.

yeah

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
who thought bayonetta was a good idea

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

it was a good day when i finally realised that human being and fasces refer to the same thing

Digital Fingers
Sep 2, 2012

dad gay. so what posted:

mods dont read things, they just act on instinct. however the exeption is something, mr. genesplicer seems to actually digest the meaning of a post and the context of the thread and it seems to be good. so i guess genesplicer for admin.

Gene for admin, a Ralp for GBS and a Abe in every home

these are my promises to you if i were to be elected president

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
lol, looks like i used 'oval office' in my very first post on these fine forums

though i've used it only once to refer to a woman, and it was this person:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9IEFD_JVYd0

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Saint Isaias Boner posted:

ahahaha

Putty posted:

i'll have to admit though human being is my word of choice when i lose to bullshit in Super Smash Brothers

i start praising ukraine when i lose in multiplayers on pubbie servers, nothing makes russkies more mad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Dogballs Jr.
Jun 9, 2014

the angriest sex machine
ive said the phrase "goddamn retard(ed)" more in the two years working with special needs kids than all my previous life. ive come to see it as there's a massive difference between those with special needs and those that are just loving retarded

• Locked thread