Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PhysicsFrenzy
May 30, 2011

this, too, is physics
Glad to see Isaac back. I wonder if Zack actually forgot about him for a while? :allears:

tbf Izzy would probably kick the locker open anyway

Tollymain posted:

there's no way eightfold's gone for good imo though, it's hinted she knows Too Much and that sort of thing isn't going to be left to hang forever

on the other hand there might be some themes about dealing with loss without closure (could go either way, depending on whether or not Max's mom ever makes an appearance), so I can see eightfold being completely out of their lives despite all her character's story hooks. it's the more realistic path versus the more literary one. either way, her absence right now is just as significant as her presence was before, maybe moreso :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Tollymain posted:

there's no way eightfold's gone for good imo though, it's hinted she knows Too Much and that sort of thing isn't going to be left to hang forever

It will be for quite a while considering they are stuck in Mayview and that was the only way to get out of the town.. Not to mention, out of the barrier and Eightfold is basically buried god knows how deep in that underground railroad.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

giant subterranean insect will save her

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

oddium posted:

giant subterranean insect will save her
The hero Mayview deserves, but not the one it needs right now.

Last Visible Dog
Jul 30, 2015

Dang, even after Eightfold's dying speech, Isabel still instinctively runs to her locker to get "some stuff".

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Last Visible Dog posted:

Dang, even after Eightfold's dying speech, Isabel still instinctively runs to her locker to get "some stuff".

To be fair, she and Ed also classified Isaac as stuff.

VerdantSquire
Jul 1, 2014

Tollymain posted:

I don't know, I feel like that wasn't suppose to be "Oh I know too much about dark spirit secrets", so much as "I've learned too much about the way people think and I'm not sure you really think of me as a friend anymore". I think Eightfold is gone for good, but given the way that Isabel totally tried to sidestep telling the actual story of how they met, I feel like it's basically guaranteed that we'll at least be seeing eightfold in some kind of flashback / something or other.

Unhappy Meal
Jul 27, 2010

Some smiles show mirth
Others merely show teeth

Also place your bets now on whether the umbrella spirit is a dog.

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

Last Visible Dog posted:

Rereading that part, I like that Eightfold straight up tells Isabel "Look, you might not understand my words now, but you'll look back on them eventually." I have a feeling she's due for that moment pretty soon, and when she has it she's gonna feel real bad about it.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Unhappy Meal posted:

Also place your bets now on whether the umbrella spirit is a dog.

It seems like Isabel was given the umbrella without every really being told what spirit is inside it, so it very well could be something completely useless, but I'm not sure her grandpa is that much of a dick to do something like that. Instead, it's probably something situationaly useful, but not outright usable for offense, like Eightfold was.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

VerdantSquire posted:

I don't know, I feel like that wasn't suppose to be "Oh I know too much about dark spirit secrets", so much as "I've learned too much about the way people think and I'm not sure you really think of me as a friend anymore". I think Eightfold is gone for good, but given the way that Isabel totally tried to sidestep telling the actual story of how they met, I feel like it's basically guaranteed that we'll at least be seeing eightfold in some kind of flashback / something or other.

Yeah, this sounds about right.

Maduo posted:

Rereading that part, I like that Eightfold straight up tells Isabel "Look, you might not understand my words now, but you'll look back on them eventually." I have a feeling she's due for that moment pretty soon, and when she has it she's gonna feel real bad about it.

Not sure how soon she's going to get her moment of realization, but it is very clear that she didn't have it when Eightfold was talking to her, and she hasn't had it yet. No surprise she's still talking about 'stuff'!

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
I just powered through all the available pages of this comic over this weekend.

It's pretty good

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

neogeo0823 posted:

I'm not sure her grandpa is that much of a dick
Yes he is.

Jetamo
Nov 8, 2012

alright.

alright, mate.

neogeo0823 posted:

but I'm not sure her grandpa is that much of a dick to do something like that.

I'm sure he's not that much of a dick.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
Having the spirit be a dog so that Isabel is forced to either become less reliant on her tool or conquer her fears (Without any regard for her psychological well-being) sounds like it'd be right up her grandfather's alley, tbqh.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Maduo posted:

Perhaps some foreshadowing here:

Actually that whole scene contrasts Isabel's actions against Spender's outlook pretty heavily. I think there's definitely a separation of sorts being set up within the Activity Club.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Maybe he just thought it looked like rain that day.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I hope the umbrella has weather control powers

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

the umbrella's where this guy wound up

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
nah, he's orange, and also i don't think ghosts can get tooled? i think they just, double-die

VerdantSquire
Jul 1, 2014

Tollymain posted:

nah, he's orange, and also i don't think ghosts can get tooled? i think they just, double-die

One of the big difference between Spectrals and Spirits was that only living humans can generate spectral energy, while spirits can only feed off of it. When a spectral dies. Their ability to generate energy stops and they just become pure energy - they can't possess items or people, and if they could it'd be redundant because they can't feed off the energy from Spectrals. Almost all ghosts are doomed to an eventual death from the slow process of energy entropy (Or sudden, inglorious consumption by a similarly colored spirit).

Of course, Isabel said that some exceptional ghosts can use tools and stick around for a very long time, so there is definitely stuff we don't know about yet.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

VerdantSquire posted:

One of the big difference between Spectrals and Spirits was that only living humans can generate spectral energy, while spirits can only feed off of it. When a spectral dies. Their ability to generate energy stops and they just become pure energy - they can't possess items or people, and if they could it'd be redundant because they can't feed off the energy from Spectrals. Almost all ghosts are doomed to an eventual death from the slow process of energy entropy (Or sudden, inglorious consumption by a similarly colored spirit).

Of course, Isabel said that some exceptional ghosts can use tools and stick around for a very long time, so there is definitely stuff we don't know about yet.

Nah, ghosts can generate a little energy, just not a lot.

quote:

Spender: Well, I guess you can't "take the sweater off," so they're more like people with yarn... body hair?
Spender: And ghosts are people made of all yarn. Which, um, also regenerates, just not as fast as spirits can eat it.
Spender: And spirits would also be made of yarn, actually.
Spender: ...in this metaphor.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
I wonder if Spender's mystery significant other is a ghost.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Doubtful, considering they packed his lunch and ghosts can only touch physical objects if they're possessed.

...maybe Spender's lunch is haunted? :ghost:

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Ghosts can poltergeist if they have high enough self worth.

Which would beg the question of why they're with Spender OH HO HO

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
That reminds me, there's a really nice manga about a guy with a ghost girlfriend that I don't recall finishing. I'll have to try and remember where I found that.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

Renaissance Robot posted:

That reminds me, there's a really nice manga about a guy with a ghost girlfriend that I don't recall finishing. I'll have to try and remember where I found that.

Going to out myself here, but I remember that one. Something like Kana's story, about a guy who moves into a haunted house. It was cute and kind of touching, though short.

If I remeber it right, of course.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat
Are you both thinking of Wilde Life? Because that's what I thought of, but it seemed a stretch given that the ghost isn't his girlfriend, and it isn't what I think of when someone says Manga.

I like Wilde Life, so here it is, though I'm pretty sure this isn't what you both were talking about.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

J.A.B.C. posted:

Going to out myself here, but I remember that one. Something like Kana's story, about a guy who moves into a haunted house. It was cute and kind of touching, though short.

If I remeber it right, of course.

I think you're thinking of Nanana's Treasure, which I thought of too until I remembered it was largely just a light novel series, though there was a small manga and anime run.

Edit:

Matlock Birthmark posted:

Are you both thinking of Wilde Life? Because that's what I thought of, but it seemed a stretch given that the ghost isn't his girlfriend, and it isn't what I think of when someone says Manga.

I like Wilde Life, so here it is, though I'm pretty sure this isn't what you both were talking about.

While almost certainly not it, this is a good webcomic worth checking out.

Onean fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Feb 23, 2016

Unhappy Meal
Jul 27, 2010

Some smiles show mirth
Others merely show teeth

Onean posted:

I think you're thinking of Nanana's Treasure, which I thought of too until I remembered it was largely just a light novel series, though there was a small manga and anime run.

Edit:

While almost certainly not it, this is a good webcomic worth checking out.

Sure are a lot of dude moves in with a ghost comic, but J.A.B.C. is correct for the one where the entire premise is ghost girlfriend. The manga in question is Itoshi No Kana, translated as My Lovely Ghost Kana. Pretty good slice of life style story.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

an interest in spooky nookie is one of those universal human drives that anyone can tell a relatable story about

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
Yeah, I figured there's a lot of it. Now that you've mentioned the right title, though, I vaguely remember something about that myself. Might have to check it out.

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo
My favorite part of this comic will remain the number and scale of "same channel, different station" conversations.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Unhappy Meal posted:

Sure are a lot of dude moves in with a ghost comic, but J.A.B.C. is correct for the one where the entire premise is ghost girlfriend. The manga in question is Itoshi No Kana, translated as My Lovely Ghost Kana. Pretty good slice of life style story.

Yeah, that's the one! It was nice.

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

an interest in spooky nookie is one of those universal human drives that anyone can tell a relatable story about

Our continuing mission, to seek out new life and new civilisations, to boldly come where no one has come before

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Renaissance Robot posted:

Our continuing mission, to seek out new life and new civilisations, to boldly come where no one has come before
Vidi, vici, veni.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
:golfclap:

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
NEW CHAPTER GOONS

http://www.paranatural.net/comic/chapter-5-page-101/

Spender you goddamn moron. (well to be fair he didn't know)

Also goddamn I want that as a phone wallpaper.

Shindragon fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Feb 24, 2016

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

i like that where other people would put like "IIIIIIIIiiiiii" or "I..." zack just draws a really long I

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

I like to imagine that the ring tone is literally a song whose lyrics are "ring ring respectable ringtone"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

You should see the other guy five minutes from now is up there with my favorite lines from this comic