Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I'm building up my Gwent deck. These Blue Stripes Commandos are insanely overpowered, I've got five of them in my deck. I mix them with a biting frost to punish the gently caress out of monster decks and their melee swarms because their bonuses just tank the damage frost does. I'd probably do the same with Crinfrid Reavers if I could find a few more cards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

Drop a dandelion on em and behold your 64 point cards. Blue stripes are monsters.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
Yeah you can get ridiculous total strength with 5 of them.

348 :toot:

I've been waiting until I reach level 25 to do the gwent tournament. Don't want to get into more fistfights with opponents that can 4-shot me while I need some 30 hits to bring them down.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
Just don't get scorched.

Temeria is the best deck for hitting farcically large power, but the huge commitment in resources and the vulnerability to scorch is a serious liability and means they're probably still second to Nilfgaard's insane card advantage and recursion, especially since Nilfgaard has hands-down the best general in the game. Being able to stall for a turn to pull a spy back out of the enemy's graveyard is gross.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Sanctum posted:

Yeah you can get ridiculous total strength with 5 of them.

348 :toot:

I've been waiting until I reach level 25 to do the gwent tournament. Don't want to get into more fistfights with opponents that can 4-shot me while I need some 30 hits to bring them down.

I completed the Fights at level 23. Remember you can take potions before and during the fights.

I get wrecked in Gwent because I keep losing the second and third rounds.

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy
I found it kind of interesting how the level of the fistgfights reacts to player level - it has very little to do with player input. If the enemy is a significantly higher level, they float like butterflies and sting like bees. If they're at or below your level, they telegraph their movements from a mile away and do far less damage. It's just kind of interesting that it's a difficulty independent of player input, since factors like DPS or player armour aren't taken into consideration.

Also, where the gently caress do I get the rest of the blue stripes?! My gwent deck is middling to pitiful.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

McKilligan posted:

I found it kind of interesting how the level of the fistgfights reacts to player level - it has very little to do with player input. If the enemy is a significantly higher level, they float like butterflies and sting like bees. If they're at or below your level, they telegraph their movements from a mile away and do far less damage. It's just kind of interesting that it's a difficulty independent of player input, since factors like DPS or player armour aren't taken into consideration.

Also, where the gently caress do I get the rest of the blue stripes?! My gwent deck is middling to pitiful.

I picked them up from the quartermaster in Velen and barkeeps. I think they're pretty randomized. Also, you win cards for beating anyone, not just hunting the unique cards.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

twistedmentat posted:

I completed the Fights at level 23. Remember you can take potions before and during the fights.

I get wrecked in Gwent because I keep losing the second and third rounds.

The first round you should spend playing spies and low point fodder to keep the opponent playing cards. If they pass with a low point total you can play one card to win the round, if they over commit you can just pass as well and keep your card advantage. I like the temeria deck because of the bonus card for a win and the huge number of spies you get. I think nilfgaard has a lot of spies too but I never found as many in my playthrough. The scorch vulnerability is real bad though so I would wait as long as possible to deploy any multiplicitive cards until the very end and/or keep some medics ready to revive. Also make sure you bring some decoys to grab enemy spies and use them.

Broose
Oct 28, 2007

Crappy Jack posted:

Yeah, there's apparently some sort of loading glitch where sometimes shopkeepers won't appear unless you go far enough away from them to "respawn" where they're supposed to be. But even with that, sometimes that damned guy in an Craite's castle just plain won't appear no matter what. Maybe he only works on Tuesdays or something.

Ravenfood posted:

Meditating for an hour usually fixed it for me. Usually.

Yeah, this is the reason why long ago people thought that the guy at the graveyard that bought stuff for full price only did so at certain times of day. It's just a loading error that has been in the game since forever. Meditating a little ways away usually fixes being unable to interact with traders or them not appearing at all.

I'm surprised they never fixed it.

cmykJester
Feb 16, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Oh poo poo, where is that graveyard guy?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
So I'm running two decoys, one biting frost, one clear sky (don't have the upper tier Foltest cards yet, just the useless Fog one), a couple artillery, two reavers, Dethmold, Sile, five Blue Stripes, Roche, Ciri, Yennefer, Vesimir, one medic, Djikstra, Stennis, Zoltan, Ves, and that order of the flaming rose guy. Been keeping around 27 cards in the deck, 22 unit cards, and replacing the weakest ones as I win uniques.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Came to this realization, Is Geralt basically a really respectable (at least to his customers) exterminator?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Fargin Icehole posted:

Came to this realization, Is Geralt basically a really respectable (at least to his customers) exterminator?

Pretty much, and given the world's penchant for anachronism, that is a perfectly valid way to describe his profession.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
Wait I have to agree to search for the gwent tournament thief with sasha (a cheater and probable thief) in order to be able to search for the gwent thief at all? Why can't Geralt search for the thief without helping sasha, a person whom he has no reason to trust or motive to help.

That's mind numbingly stupid, moreso because it means reloading and re-winning the entire tournament just to get the winnings.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Just found the minor quest with the showman presenting his "basilisk". Pretty much a direct reference to the incident in Time of Contempt with Ciri.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.

Fargin Icehole posted:

If you meet the tax collector he does explain that Witchers are in the same tax classification as pest exterminators.

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013

Arcsquad12 posted:

Just found the minor quest with the showman presenting his "basilisk". Pretty much a direct reference to the incident in Time of Contempt with Ciri.

Yeah, just read the book and was like 'hmmm, that seems really familiar...'

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

ephex posted:

Sometimes I actually forget there are people that willingly buy console games lol nevermind

Sorry that some of us prefer consoles over PC? I stopped dealing with GAMING RIGS for PCs like 12 years ago.

That said my iMac is 4 years old and handles things decently enough if a game is computer only.

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004
:I

Fargin Icehole posted:

Not even respectable, really. He possesses skills that people value, but people would rather they didn't need him at all. just like pest controllers.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Kind of like the quest where you find the village that had been slaughtered by the Cat school Witcher, which you at first think he was just nuts, but it turns out they tried to kill him rather than pay him.

What's with the different schools? I Assume that based on the gear, they are specialized in certain ways, but it also seems like some have less than savory reputations. It makes a big think about Lotho being a member of the Bear School and he was the titular assassin of kings from Witcher 2.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Just did the Va Fail, Elaine quest and holy poo poo this game :stare:

By the same measure of time spent in this, I was totally burned out on Dragon Age. Now I am just HOLY gently caress

(also trying to determine which is better cat gear or wolf but gently caress it gonna worry about that on ng+ death march because this is a game that deserves it)

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

twistedmentat posted:

Kind of like the quest where you find the village that had been slaughtered by the Cat school Witcher, which you at first think he was just nuts, but it turns out they tried to kill him rather than pay him.

What's with the different schools? I Assume that based on the gear, they are specialized in certain ways, but it also seems like some have less than savory reputations. It makes a big think about Lotho being a member of the Bear School and he was the titular assassin of kings from Witcher 2.

Letho joined Ciri on her adventures and changed his name to Agent 47.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

Probably different training philosophies? From what I remember the Cat school has a bad reputation as assassins because they kept taking assassination contracts in addition to Witcher contracts. I think Letho and others from his school only took the king killing offers from nilfgaard because the emperor promised to rebuild their school and offer them a safe space.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost

Shannow posted:

My butthole just pucked at the Brotherhood of the Wolf stuff. If you've not seen that movie, anyone, sort that the gently caress out now.
It's the best period drama conspiracy whodunnit martial arts monster movie with nude Monica Belluci's boobs dissolving into mountains you're likely to see. Oh, also Vincent Cassell. Seriously, it loving owns.
When I first saw the Witcher 3 trailer of Geralt beating guys up in the rain, I instantly thought of the equivalent scene from Brotherhood of the Wolf that kinda sold half the people that watched it. Somehow, I blindly picked this movie when it was out in theaters knowing nothing about it but it may be my best random movie pick ever. I think my only disappointment with that movie was that there were almost no other comparable action scenes in terms of choreography even including the last couple scenes, but it was made up with a much more interesting plot than expected.

I expect no such disappointment from CDProjekt though.

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy

necrobobsledder posted:

When I first saw the Witcher 3 trailer of Geralt beating guys up in the rain, I instantly thought of the equivalent scene from Brotherhood of the Wolf that kinda sold half the people that watched it. Somehow, I blindly picked this movie when it was out in theaters knowing nothing about it but it may be my best random movie pick ever. I think my only disappointment with that movie was that there were almost no other comparable action scenes in terms of choreography even including the last couple scenes, but it was made up with a much more interesting plot than expected.

I expect no such disappointment from CDProjekt though.

My ONLY beef with the movie is that they only wear their totally bitchin' tricorner hat + trenchcoat combo for the first 10 minutes, then never again. It was also fun because my friends and I had been playing a ton of Soul Calibur at the time and recognized the bow staff as the same style that Kilik uses.

Also, just finished the game, and goddamnit I'm kicking myself for re-crippling Djikstra. I really, really wanted to get a shot at assasinating Radovid, and the post-game wrap up was kind of a collective 'aw ffffffuck' after Radovid's scene. Hell, I even like Emhrys, but no luck on that front either. At least Skellige seems to be doin' fine with Cerys, and my Geralt and Yen went full on old-people lazy.

I think I'll track down one of those point-reset potions and see what an all-melee build is like. What's the deal with NG+, does the game scale upwards again so that you have a challenge, or is it more of a 'descend upon the puny mortals like the fist of an angry god' mode?

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Terrible Horse posted:

Not even respectable, really. He possesses skills that people value, but people would rather they didn't need him at all. just like pest controllers.

Unless you're in Skellige

That was something that was neat about the game, you spend White Orchard, Velen and Novigrad constantly encountering people that are like EW A WITCHER *spits* and then you get to Skellige and they're like A WITCHER HELL YEAH

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I like when the Jarl says "Geralt, this is a land of Heroes! Everyone will know of your deeds!". It's nice to have people who don't treat you like poo poo.

Oh does one of the Freya priestesses have no hands or is that just a creepy glitch in my game?

insider
Feb 22, 2007

A secret room... always my favourite room in a house.
Do we have even an rough idea of when Blood and Wine is coming out?

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
Q3 or Q2? I know some big expansion was delayed by six months for polish and bugs, but not sure if it was specifically Blood & Wine for Witcher 3.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer

Macaluso posted:

Unless you're in Skellige

That was something that was neat about the game, you spend White Orchard, Velen and Novigrad constantly encountering people that are like EW A WITCHER *spits* and then you get to Skellige and they're like A WITCHER HELL YEAH

Except that half the people on the isles spit on you for not being from the isles

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
So is the dialog option for Ciri to say she prefers women in the sauna actually part of the character or just a dialog option?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

AKMoose posted:

Except that half the people on the isles spit on you for not being from the isles

At least they're not trying to figure out how to burn you at the stake without getting disemboweled.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

twistedmentat posted:

So is the dialog option for Ciri to say she prefers women in the sauna actually part of the character or just a dialog option?

True to the books.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Avalerion posted:

True to the books.

I mean, its obvious in the next scene that while she like women, she's not opposed to dudes. drat, cockblocked by the Wild Hunt.

Oh when doing the Triss quests in Novigrad, I trusted her 100% and kissed her during the party, that doesn't count against me in the long run does it? I figure I'll stay canonical and choose Yen, but I'm worried i mucked that up.

Though Geralt's going to take an oppertunity. I mean, I fought a bunch of guys for that that women, and Kiera didn't seem like she'd take no for an answer. It fits because I'm kind of playing him as if he was Wolverine.

twistedmentat fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Feb 22, 2016

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
You're fine. It's be pretty obvious when you're about to fully romance Triss, and it doesn't count until then.

EDIT: Sounds like you're in Skellige? If you finished the Novigrad quests and she left town you missed the chance anyway.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Feb 22, 2016

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
Just did the Skellige main quests and while I was exiting the Freya temple it started snowing and holy poo poo I didn't know it could snow in this game.

Just a little moment that made me stop and admire the world.

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
As long as you don't say the magic words I love you you're fine.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

twistedmentat posted:

It makes a big think about Lotho being a member of the Bear School and he was the titular assassin of kings from Witcher 2.

I thought Letho was from the school of the Viper?

Also, Griffin Armor is nice for the sign boost, but my god is it ugly. What is with all these pot bellied gambesons?

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

twistedmentat posted:

Bisexual in the books, the game lets you customize it a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

I love this game, but it's so loving huge - I got it when it first came out, am playing in a piecemeal fashion (because I have a job, sadly), and while some awesome stuff has stuck with me (the Bloody loving Baron), I've gone really hazy on some other things. It's so epic that I'm honestly having trouble following the plot now, which makes me feel like a dumbass. Like, all that poo poo in Novigrad with Dandelion - what exactly went down there that led to him being imprisoned? I remember there being some kind of plot to rob Sigi, but I'm honestly drawing a blank on the whole convoluted thing. Also, I somehow never managed to return Sigi's treasure - and then after I killed Radovid I had to kill him. Why? What did I do wrong? Also, is it ever revealed why the Wild Hunt even want Ciri? And what is the White Frost or whatever that she and Avallac'h are trying to stop? (that's where I'm currently at in the plot). I mean, could someone just tell me what exactly is going on in like 1-2 sentences? Man, I'm having lots of fun with this game, but sometimes it makes me want to load up brainless old Fallout 4.