Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

wdarkk posted:

To be fair, the Yamato had a bonus to healing no BB other than the Warspite had for ???? reasons, so taking that away was a good step. Unfortunately fixing the overmatch problem would require literally rewriting the overmatch mechanics.

Also, what does that radar consumable replace if it's not the sonar? The plane? The heal? Do cruisers with it just get 5 buttons?

The plane, from what I've heard. Personally, my solution to buffing CA detection against DDs would have been manual control over their scout/fighter within a certain range of the ship, but a god radar for 30 seconds is ok too (its actually super heavy-handed, but likely a LOT easier to code).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
I would say it can't be that hard to code control of the plane, carriers literally have that as equipment slots. But Wargaming.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy

jownzy posted:

Except I don't remember to talk to myself once every 30 minutes. Being active on your computer isn't enough. It's actually being active in-app.

Juno on their website and send them a comment see what they have to say. That's a developer thing so they may or may not look at the request to come up with a solution.

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

So I have picked it this game up. How are the Russian DD's?

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy
I hate them, IJN is the way to go.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Stevefin posted:

Less torpy, more shooty.

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

Stevefin posted:

The Tier 5 (Gnevny) is extremely strong for the tier. The Tier 7 (Kiev) was once highly overpowered, but it got hit pretty hard with nerfs. I don't really see people using them in the ranked/ladder matches, but still plenty of them in the normal random battles.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

Stevefin posted:

Honestly they are going to be super frustrating for new players. I wouldn't go with that line. Something like IJN Cruisers is more forgiving. IJN are better overall and US DD's become good at about tier 7.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
IJN cruisers have a tendency to randomly explode if a battleship has the right firing solution though.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

wdarkk posted:

IJN cruisers have a tendency to randomly explode if a battleship has the right firing solution though.
True, but I think they are a really balanced line for new players. Good speed and agility, great guns once you get to the Aoba at tier 6, good torps, solid all around. I think every other line has at least one aspect that could really frustrate a newbie.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
I saw the strangest thing today. A fubuki receiving a dreadnaught medal.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

JuffoWup posted:

I saw the strangest thing today. A fubuki receiving a dreadnaught medal.

I'm struggling to figure out how that could possibly happen. Taking a shitload of damage on an already "dead" hull segment?

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G

wdarkk posted:

I'm struggling to figure out how that could possibly happen. Taking a shitload of damage on an already "dead" hull segment?
Survivability Expert.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Stevefin posted:

The Derzki is good, the Izyaslav is mediocre, the Gnevny is bad, the Ognevoi looks worse, so you need to push on through a lot of poo poo after the Derzki before you get to another decent ship in the Kiev.

In contrast, IJN destroyers don't have a single lemon in the entire line. American ones are a little more variable, but they don't leave you with 3 bad ones in a row in the mid tiers to agonise through.

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

Iowa on my team had a game with a Devastating Strike, Fireproof, Dreadnought, Close Quarters Expert, High Caliber, and Kraken (6 kills) and I still got 400+ more exp than he did. Some days it seems to make no sense.

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

I probably should of said I was a returning player who played during closed beta and shortly after the last wipe. So already got experience in the IGN and US DD's I tended to like my fast shooty more.

Also the german cruisers. how are they compared to the other two lines?

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

Lakedaimon posted:

Iowa on my team had a game with a Devastating Strike, Fireproof, Dreadnought, Close Quarters Expert, High Caliber, and Kraken (6 kills) and I still got 400+ more exp than he did. Some days it seems to make no sense.
caps, baby

Team Battles are pretty fuckin hilarious. Good games tonight, nerds. Somebody loving get a T6 CV so I don't have to wish death upon all of you forever.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Stevefin posted:

I probably should of said I was a returning player who played during closed beta and shortly after the last wipe. So already got experience in the IGN and US DD's I tended to like my fast shooty more.

Also the german cruisers. how are they compared to the other two lines?

Well you already know USN DDs, so in contrast Russian DDs have slightly more powerful, longer ranged, higher velocity and flatter arc guns that are much better for shooting at long range, and can citadel a lot of cruisers. Up until tier 9, those guns are curtailed by turrets that spin like Japanese ones, meaning you almost never get to make full use of them, because you have to choose between shooting and dodging, can't do both at the same time like the Americans. You also have torpedoes that you will essentially never fire, because they have 4km range only. Russians are also the easiest to spot.

German cruisers have thin hulls, weak HE shells, but strong AP performance, torpedoes, and AA between the IJN and USN

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern

NTRabbit posted:

The Derzki is good, the Izyaslav is mediocre, the Gnevny is bad, the Ognevoi looks worse, so you need to push on through a lot of poo poo after the Derzki before you get to another decent ship in the Kiev.

The Gnevny and the Ognevoi are awesome if you watch a few youtube videos instead of just rushing ahead to duel Americans.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Hazduck!

~SMcD
The Gnevny is good, the Ognevoi is good IF NOBODY SHOOTS YOU. loving 2x2 turrets is just asking to get a turret penned.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Hazdoc posted:

the Ognevoi is good IF NOBODY SHOOTS YOU.

The exact same goes for the Gnevny, because if anyone is shooting at you you have to dodge so hard the guns can't track. The nice guns on paper don't mean a lot when you can't keep them pointed at the target.

MrKatharsis posted:

The Gnevny and the Ognevoi are awesome if you watch a few youtube videos instead of just rushing ahead to duel Americans.

Americans, Japanese, and all Cruisers, you mean. It is entirely reliant on your team spotting for you and providing more tempting targets.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Feb 21, 2016

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
Correct, you cannot duel cruisers with destroyers.

Lady Morgaga
Aug 27, 2012

by Smythe

NTRabbit posted:

In contrast, IJN destroyers don't have a single lemon in the entire line.
IJN DDs have Mitsuki. Weakest DD in its tier IMO. Long torpedo reloads and completely defenseless.

There was no moment when I played Russian DDs (I am at Ognevoi at the moment) when I thought "I am sailing a bad ship".

Lady Morgaga fucked around with this message at 11:14 on Feb 21, 2016

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Lady Morgaga posted:

IJN DDs have Mitsuki. Weakest DD in its tier IMO. Long torpedo reloads and completely defenseless.

There was no moment when I played Russian DDs (I am at Ognevoi at the moment) when I thought "I am sailing a bad ship".

The Mutsuki is great though? The longer torp reloads just mean you get to stealth sink ships less often than the Minekaze, but the upgraded turrets are better at self defence than the Minekaze, on the rare occasions I'm actually spotted.

To me the Mutsuki is strongest in tier, it's just not overwhelmingly strongest in tier like the Minekaze is at 5.

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013
It used to be garbage but it got a turret buff and the minekaze was nerfed.

Lady Morgaga
Aug 27, 2012

by Smythe
Minekaze puts twice as many torpedoes in water as Mitsuki does. Mitsuki gets 10km torps that dont really need that range. She and Minekaze have similar detection ranges. You want to be close to target as possible so torps travel less and spread out less. Mitsuki gets twice weaker torp armament and gets nothing in return. Concerning Mitsuki's gun armament the fact that it only has 2 guns means that she and Minekaze both shoot roughly 4 shells in 10 seconds. Minekaze's advantage here that she has 4 turrets instead of 2.

Lady Morgaga fucked around with this message at 11:59 on Feb 21, 2016

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Lady Morgaga posted:

Minekaze puts twice as many torpedoes in water as Mitsuki does. Mitsuki gets 10km torps that dont really need that range. She and Minekaze have similar detection ranges. You want to be close to target as possible so torps travel less and spread out less. Mitsuki gets twice weaker torp armament and gets nothing in return. Concerning Mitsuki's gun armament the fact that it only has 2 guns means that she and Minekaze both shoot roughly 4 shells in 10 seconds. Minekaze's advantage here that she has 4 turrets instead of 2.

Minekaze turrets turn at a sedate 30s, Mutsuki does a still not fast but more useful 18s.

Mutsuki (33k) is my second highest performing destroyer by the most valid metric, average damage, after the Minekaze (42k), with the Izyaslav (30k) a shock third place. By average XP it's actually a long way in front, 1900 to the Minekazes's 1400 and Nicholas 1300.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Feb 21, 2016

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

Hazdoc posted:

caps, baby

Team Battles are pretty fuckin hilarious. Good games tonight, nerds. Somebody loving get a T6 CV so I don't have to wish death upon all of you forever.

I have both, I'm just really bad at carriers lately for some reason. Although, I haven't played them since the chances, and neither captain have torp accel which I'm hearing will affect my ability to play them effectively (my biggest issue is that my manual drops keep missing).

jownzy
Apr 20, 2012

I love Rainbow Moon.

It is the deepest game ever. Nothing compares to its epic story.

Hazdoc posted:

caps, baby

I have basically spent 4 million credits buying a ship I don't need just to relieve you of your personal hell.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

jownzy posted:

I have basically spent 4 million credits buying a ship I don't need just to relieve you of your personal hell.

Make sure you equip the air superiority mod. Just compare all three and you'll see why. That feature won't happen again though till t9. Both the t9 and 10 ijn carriers are also best set up in air superiority.

jownzy
Apr 20, 2012

I love Rainbow Moon.

JuffoWup posted:

Make sure you equip the air superiority mod. Just compare all three and you'll see why. That feature won't happen again though till t9. Both the t9 and 10 ijn carriers are also best set up in air superiority.

As soon as I get that paper. Three tier ten purchases this week got me ballin' on a budget.

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

that's dedication, bankrupting your account so you can save hazdoc the hassle of sailing his Indy against Ryujos

jownzy
Apr 20, 2012

I love Rainbow Moon.

Pacra posted:

that's dedication, bankrupting your account so you can save hazdoc the hassle of sailing his Indy against Ryujos

Team player on deck guys, team player.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
How come that the people with the most cowardly playstyles always choose battleships? I got sunk as a carrier because the 3 battleships protecting me ran away from 3 cruisers.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

my dad posted:

How come that the people with the most cowardly playstyles always choose battleships? I got sunk as a carrier because the 3 battleships protecting me ran away from 3 cruisers.

"I am the sniper, I will strike from afar in total safety!" is a problem across every online game that has ever existed.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
TBH the best protection you'll ever have in a carrier is sinking the guy who is closest to you every time, or at the very least, taking 3/4 of his health so your teammates tunnel on the easy kill.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

I installed this game last night, since I am a WoT player and I figured I'd check it out. The game is extremely pretty and seems fun. Discord told me to go get a St. Louis to start and then see how I feel from there.

What are some good lines for new players? The thread made Russia and Germany seem extremely unappealing.

Also I am a scumfuck bastard who plays artillery on WoT. It seems I'll fit in here with having to lead shots and predict! Are CVs fun? They seem like the WoWS equivalent of being a trashy artillery player, except with airplanes.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

CVs are fun, get the Hosho at the very least. Also try IJN destroyers for torp/stealth play. US or Japanese cruisers are fairly good and forgiving, and the US line is fantastic all the way to tier 6 so it's a good newbie experience. I really like battleships myself but they have a fairly difficult entry.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

TheDemon posted:

TBH the best protection you'll ever have in a carrier is sinking the guy who is closest to you every time, or at the very least, taking 3/4 of his health so your teammates tunnel on the easy kill.

Oh, I agree, I did in fact manage to sink the closest one (dude didn't even try to dodge, another victim of the CARRIER SPOTTED, KILL KILL KILL urge), and damage the second, but there's only so much you can do when there's nobody around to finish off the stragglers and you're the only target left for the enemy to shoot.

TheDemon posted:

CVs are fun, get the Hosho at the very least. Also try IJN destroyers for torp/stealth play. US or Japanese cruisers are fairly good and forgiving, and the US line is fantastic all the way to tier 6 so it's a good newbie experience. I really like battleships myself but they have a fairly difficult entry.

I actually like the Russian destroyers, but that's mostly because I enjoy the knife-fights around island chains. And I'll have to give up on them since when the skills reset for the update, I thought that the new tier 3 captain torp skill increases range instead of decreasing it, and, welp, my torps are now almost completely useless. :cripes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Aesis posted:

Survivability Expert.

I died to a Benson in a gun duel. In a half HP Atago. Gun DDs are now pretty good baby cruisers.