Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Beautiful.

EDIT: I made a thing.

Star Man fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Feb 21, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Yesssssssssssss

quote:

Matt Walsh

Trump won South Carolina, a supposedly conservative Christian state, by a wide margin tonight.

A few quick reactions:

- Don't rationalize this. He didn't win because of Democrats. The man won Evangelicals. The man who -- JUST THIS WEEK -- praised Planned Parenthood, and who fishes for applause lines by cussing out his competitors and mocking disabled people, and who can't name a book in the Bible, and who said he doesn't need forgiveness from God, and who brags about sleeping with married women, and who said he'd love to date his own daughter because she has a hot body, and who supported the murder of fully developed infant children, and who blatantly lies and then lies again about lying, and who has encapsulated literally the exact opposite of anything that could remotely be considered a "Christian value," won with the indispensable assistance of Christians. The anger I feel towards those Christians in this moment cannot be put into words. They should be ashamed. I will pray for them.

- Speaking of winning conservatives, Trump -- JUST THIS WEEK -- said he likes the Obamacare mandate. This was, according to conservatives, the most important thing to defeat not but two years ago. Now some of those same conservatives are voting for a big government liberal who says he supports the very thing these very people were sure would undo the Republic just a few months ago.

- If Trump wins the nomination, conservatism in this country is officially dead, and the country itself will be close behind it.

- Speaking of the country's demise, Trump fans are gleefully ushering in tyranny. I am tired of hearing about their "anger." They claim they are angry at the very thing they now embrace. They aren't angry. They're bored. They're immature. They're infatuated with celebrity and fame and money. They aren't angry. I'm angry about what they are doing to my nation. The rest of us can be angry, but these people have lost the right to have their anger taken seriously.

- I don't want to hear about second place consolation prizes. If Cruz or Rubio can't win South Carolina, it may be time to panic. I'm sorry, but it's true. Deal with the reality, folks.

- According to exit polls, Trump fans don't necessarily think he's electable and they don't believe he shares their values, but "they want change." Dear God, we are really doing 2008 all over again. People voting for ambiguous, non-specific change in spite of the avalanche of red flags. We are really doing this again. I am so disgusted at the stupidity in this country.

- Bush should be commended for dropping out. He's an honorable and decent man, although I didn't support him. The others in the bottom tier, should they stay in, will be doing potentially irreparable harm to this country and my children's future. And that is something I will struggle to forgive.

- Get on your knees and pray for this country tonight. Right now. I feel we are on the cusp of something terrible. Pray we avoid it.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Wish Walsh was right and conservatism was dead in the US.

Though could the fact that Trump being pretty a-religious is a sign that even within Republicans, religion isn't as important as it was even in the last election?

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

twistedmentat posted:

Though could the fact that Trump being pretty a-religious is a sign that even within Republicans, religion isn't as important as it was even in the last election?

It turns out that the GOP base really doesn't give a poo poo about abortion or religion they just want a strongman type to condemn the "other" and tear the system down.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Matt Walsh, making me want to vote for Donald loving Trump

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

one of the iron rules i've learned is that anyone who fears idiocracy is a portent of things to come and not just a comedy sci fi satire is deffo someone the film mocked

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Popular Thug Drink posted:

one of the iron rules i've learned is that anyone who fears idiocracy is a portent of things to come and not just a comedy sci fi satire is deffo someone the film mocked

I'd be interested in seeing a venn diagram of a circle of people who think Idocracy is a real thing and how genetics works, and people who didn't realize Fight Club is a satire written by a gay Canadian

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Debate & Discussion: You Are Racist > They should be ashamed. I will pray for them

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Epic High Five posted:

I'd be interested in seeing a venn diagram of a circle of people who think Idocracy is a real thing and how genetics works, and people who didn't realize Fight Club is a satire written by a gay Canadian

Wait, I thought the thing with Fight Club was that he was actually serious.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED

quote:

who supported the murder of fully developed infant children

Did Trump applaud someone capping some toddlers when I wasn't looking? He can't seriously be talking about abortion.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Chantilly Say posted:

Wait, I thought the thing with Fight Club was that he was actually serious.

Serious about what? Fight Club is all about mocking ridiculous, self-deluded ideas of masculinity

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Aesop Poprock posted:

Serious about what? Fight Club is all about mocking ridiculous, self-deluded ideas of masculinity

Yeah, I thought I remembered reading that the satire wasn't intentional or something, that could be totally wrong

McAlister
Nov 3, 2002

by exmarx

BlackIronHeart posted:

Did Trump applaud someone capping some toddlers when I wasn't looking? He can't seriously be talking about abortion.

He did advocate killing the families and children of terrorists at one point. Though I don't think that is what the author is referencing. They probably wrote infanticide fiction about PP.

And I don't want to see trump vs Bernie. Bernie has the soft unscarred hide of a man who has never been attacked. It'd be Jeb all over again. With a bit of Rubio thrown in, "c'mon, that's your answer to everything."

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Chantilly Say posted:

Yeah, I thought I remembered reading that the satire wasn't intentional or something, that could be totally wrong

Have you read that book or any of Palahnuik's others? I can't imagine anyone actually getting that idea from even a cursory view

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
The book was a satire. The film, viewed charitably, tried to have it both ways.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Discendo Vox posted:

The book was a satire. The film, viewed charitably, tried to have it both ways.

How so? I mean I know people who think the film is badass cause they didn't bother to read anything into it, but it shows what was intoxicating about Fight Club and the idea in general while still ending on a note of "this guy was a self-deluded fake and his entire group of followers are mindless losers"

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Chantilly Say posted:

You might be thinking of Starship Troopers, the book was supposed to be taken at face value but the film director made it a satire.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Dabir posted:

You might be thinking of Starship Troopers, the book was supposed to be taken at face value but the film director made it a satire.

Definitely not that one, but I can't remember now which book I'm thinking of. Oh well.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Aesop Poprock posted:

How so? I mean I know people who think the film is badass cause they didn't bother to read anything into it, but it shows what was intoxicating about Fight Club and the idea in general while still ending on a note of "this guy was a self-deluded fake and his entire group of followers are mindless losers"

The short version is that in the book, the cult's hypermacho destruction plan fails, and in the film, it succeeds and he gets the girl. Both works' status as satire are debated, but the film offers a sympathetic enough depiction of/reveling in its events that at a minimum a number of critics, like Ebert, thought it was trying to have and eat its cake.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 09:59 on Feb 21, 2016

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Discendo Vox posted:

The short version is that in the book, the cult's hypermacho destruction plan fails, and in the film, it succeeds and he gets the girl.

Oh yeah the girl thing was dumb as hell but I didn't even remember that the plain failed. Shows how much I even remembered the source material I guess

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!

Aesop Poprock posted:

You mean the ending where he shoots his own face and shrugs it off like the ultimate badass and gets back together with his girlfriend as they watch him blow up skyscrapers?

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Anybody who read the ending of the book and still thought it was serious needs to read a bit more critically in future

The movie tried to turn it into something more of a psychological freakout twist thing and, while it worked and I enjoyed it, the book was pretty clearly a satire

Dabir posted:

The book was great for half and self-insert Hoo-rah fanfic for the 2nd half and was probably the worst thing I've ever read.

The movie did the correct thing and also it owned

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

twistedmentat posted:

The religious right and the authoritarian right was an alliance of convenience more than anything. They're both about control, traditionalism, and "gently caress everybody that isn't us." Christianity is on the decline in America which is part of why the religious right is going into meltdown mode. Their influence is waning and they know it. As the right gets further to the right it's also becoming more apparent that the religious right doesn't give a poo poo what Jesus actually taught and was using it as a way to keep political control. The profound ugliness of right wing thought is coming screaming out while the end results of their policies have not been what was promised on the tin. They're desperately trying to cling to their power but American voters aren't happy with the way they run things. Meanwhile their political fuckery, gerrymandering, and voter suppression are becoming more blatant and more public.

What you're seeing is one last, final, big power grab. They despise the idea of not being in control but also realize this is their absolute last chance to keep control of America. You see this in how much they wank about the military, the police, and symbols of authority while also playing the "we're rebelling against tyrants" bullshit. They've decided that they are the real America and deserve to get control of the whole thing merely by existing.

This is their final hurrah; if they can grab enough power they can gently caress up the system to keep themselves there but if they don't grab enough their only option is violent insurrection. I kind of wonder if, deep down inside, they realize they're going to fail this time around and are playing for another Civil War.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
Aren't Republicans still pretty powerful and easily elected at the State level in many parts of America? I mean, I get that they want to grab the entire federal government as well, because why not, but would they not have more direct impact to control a lot of aspects of people's lives as state governors and other state-, or even municipal-level legislators?

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Walsh realizing racism drives his party more than any supposed ideology or principles.

Donald Trump is winning because he can be more openly racist than his competition.

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

Leofish posted:

Aren't Republicans still pretty powerful and easily elected at the State level in many parts of America? I mean, I get that they want to grab the entire federal government as well, because why not, but would they not have more direct impact to control a lot of aspects of people's lives as state governors and other state-, or even municipal-level legislators?

That's been part of their strategy for a while, just look at the messes they've made of places like Wisconsin, Michigan and Kansas. A couple of decades ago Wisconsin and Michigan were fairly solidly Democratic centers of power for organized labor and now they're both collapsing right-to-work states. The changes in Michigan politics in my lifetime have been incredible and I'm only 33.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Leofish posted:

They generally win rural areas so they tend to win less-densely populated states. Major cities tend to vote heavily Democrat which lets the Dems carry states with a ton of electoral votes. Because of this Republicans have an easier time gerrymandering certain states all to hell and back to keep themselves in power by marginalizing certain voting demographics. Overall America votes more D than R these days in general popular votes but R-dominated states are set up to give the Republican party disproportional amounts of influence.

There are several reasons they're more electable at state level and some of it is just because Republican voters just refuse to miss elections of any type while other voters may not have much interest in lower-level elections. It also doesn't help that the GOP controls vastly more land area thanks to rural voting patterns.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Don't forget campaigns of voter disenfranchisement. They straight up admit it in terms of making it harder for Democratic voters to get to polls and even they are having a hard time not letting it slip they want Jim Crow 2.0 to be the law of the land. If that sort of stuff was more strongly countered you'd see less GOP dominance as well.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Voter ID laws are such transparently racist horseshit and make me angry irl that they are not immediately derided.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I agree. The media has bought into the idea that "well it makes sense that you should have to prove that you are yourself to vote" since that makes sense at face value. They just don't look into the actual goal of voter id which is to stop people from voting and the ridiculous lengths then go to in order to make it happen so that stuff doesn't get reported outside of comedy news shows. The fact that "Ok then lets give everyone in the country a universal id they can use to vote with free of charge" is always shouted down should make it obvious to everyone but when you have to pretend one side isn't outrageously acting in bad faith then you don't think about it.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
^ Its the huge flaw in socirty today - a very naive assumption of good faith.

Fight Club's image of toxic masculinity fits in very well with the war on terror and the rise of Daesh. The scene where Tyler puts the gun to Raymond's head is basic security theater. In the book Tyler wants to destroy history museums and free people from the past - which is part of the Islamist rationale for destroying graven images / historic sites.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

McDowell posted:

Which is part of why Republicans get away with such blatantly ridulous ideas and blatant race baiting. People assume good faith, so they don't bother to call them out on it, assuming it's business as usual or "both sides have a point".

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

McDowell posted:

Fight Club's image of toxic masculinity fits in very well with the war on terror and the rise of Daesh. The scene where Tyler puts the gun to Raymond's head is basic security theater. In the book Tyler wants to destroy history museums and free people from the past - which is part of the Islamist rationale for destroying graven images / historic sites.

Is Chuck Palahnuik an ISIS sleeper agent? Makes you think...

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Radish posted:

I agree. The media has bought into the idea that "well it makes sense that you should have to prove that you are yourself to vote" since that makes sense at face value. They just don't look into the actual goal of voter id which is to stop people from voting and the ridiculous lengths then go to in order to make it happen so that stuff doesn't get reported outside of comedy news shows. The fact that "Ok then lets give everyone in the country a universal id they can use to vote with free of charge" is always shouted down should make it obvious to everyone but when you have to pretend one side isn't outrageously acting in bad faith then you don't think about it.

The detail that they conveniently leave out is that you have to prove who you are to register to vote in the first place.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

"But what if Bob says he's Frank and then votes in TWO districts??" It's funny that every election one Tea Partier will try this to prove voter fraud is real and get busted big time.

My dad used to tell me stories about Democratic guys rounding up the homeless and giving them a pack of cigarettes in exchange for their votes. Assuming that's true (maybe it happened one time and isn't an urban legend) thinking back that's totally fair since that's still a lot more than anything the GOP was going to do for them so it's the sensible decision on their part.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

mr. mephistopheles posted:

Walsh realizing racism drives his party more than any supposed ideology or principles.

Donald Trump is winning because he can be more openly racist than his competition.

but doesnt walsh believe half that poo poo anyway. or is he and the rest of evanglicals scared because he knows trump wont keep them around and probaly views them as the thing they are, parasites.

trump is the sign of the times. the GOP is going in the /pol/ direction now.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Radish posted:

"But what if Bob says he's Frank and then votes in TWO districts??" It's funny that every election one Tea Partier will try this to prove voter fraud is real and get busted big time.

My dad used to tell me stories about Democratic guys rounding up the homeless and giving them a pack of cigarettes in exchange for their votes. Assuming that's true (maybe it happened one time and isn't an urban legend) thinking back that's totally fair since that's still a lot more than anything the GOP was going to do for them so it's the sensible decision on their part.

One of the theories behind Edgar Allan Poe's death is that he was boozed up by some political bosses so he could vote in multiple districts.

There is also Georgia's three governors controversy of 1946. Everyone involved except one man was Democratic, simply because it was the only viable political party. Since it was the south, Dems were all various shades of racist.

An ailing Eugene Talmadge was elected governor, but died before inauguration. Lt. governor M.E. Thompson declared he was governor. Exiting governor Ellis Arnall refused to vacate initially, but nodded in favor of Thompson. The state didn't have any plan.

Talmadge's managers knew something was going on, so they had encouraged some voters to write-in his son Herman. In the write-in category Herman was third with 617 votes, trailing James Carmichael (669) and the lone Republican candidate D. Talmadge Bowers (637). In the nick of time, though, some 56 votes were discovered in the name of Herman in Telfair County.

The Talmadges were from Telfair County.

A careful investigation discovered that some people insisted they didn't vote for Herman, some of the voters on the list were dead and a good many of them were listed in alphabetical order.

Herman Talmadge claimed the win, but it was overturned in courts, going to Thompson. A special election in 1948 installed Herman as governor.

Herman Talmadge would soon set up a educational spending program to equalize the state's schools. It was definitely beneficial as the state of educational was awful for white and black students, especially the latter. It was also a plan to keep the federal government out of the state and ensure segregation (see, it's really separate and equal). Talmadge's hand-picked successor, Marvin Griffin, campaigned on the issue of segregation in schools. As did his Democratic challengers (Griffin won) and as did the winner of the next gubernatorial election, Ernest Vandiver, though he put up little resistance as the university system and Atlanta high schools were integrated.

When Georgia had three governors.

Beowulfs_Ghost
Nov 6, 2009

RC and Moon Pie posted:

In the nick of time, though, some 56 votes were discovered in the name of Herman in Telfair County.

That is what always gets me about stories about rounding up the homeless to go vote. Or bussing large groups of activists to vote at multiple polling stations.

Why go to that much trouble when it is easier to "find" ballots laying around.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Radish posted:

Oh it absolutely happened. There's stories of (Italian, German, etc) Immigrants who literally could not read or speak english that were bussed to the polls and given a copy of the correct candidate to vote for.

So for example, they have a slip of paper that says "Johnny Fiveaces (D)" and they look for the word that looks just like it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

computer parts posted:

Oh it absolutely happened. There's stories of (Italian, German, etc) Immigrants who literally could not read or speak english that were bussed to the polls and given a copy of the correct candidate to vote for.

So for example, they have a slip of paper that says "Johnny Fiveaces (D)" and they look for the word that looks just like it.

In like 1930, sure.