Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
What Eminem song does this use? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8--vbk5S6E

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Stan. It says so in the title

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

Really dumb question, but in America, why do we (by common parlance) feel the need to label people as African-American, Asian-American, etc but do not hyphenate white people? It's not Caucasian-American, it's just "American."

Well, White Americans used to discriminate against each other. Ever taken a shot of Dutch courage before going Dutch on a date, only to get in Dutch for staying out late? It's just been toned down lately.

It mostly came from the African-American community, because a lot of racists tended to poo poo on whatever was the term for black people at the time, which kind of lead to a weird escalating war of making up new names for black people to avoid previously racist connotations. And they ended up with African-Americans. With that said, I have never met any black person who's really cares if you called them black. African-American is for polite writing, black is the common vernacular.

Same kind of thing kind of happen with Asians. The Chinese, Koreans, and Japanese immigrants, really don't want to be mistaken for each other for historic reasons. Much easier to just label them all as Asian-Americans.

thrakkorzog fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Feb 20, 2016

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
Edit: posted in the wrong thread somehow.

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

Really dumb question, but in America, why do we (by common parlance) feel the need to label people as African-American, Asian-American, etc but do not hyphenate white people? It's not Caucasian-American, it's just "American."

I wonder if other English-speaking countries do this too. From the years I've lived in Australia, I've never heard children of foreign-born parents being called "Greek-Australians" or "Italian-Australian".

Separate question:
My iPod Nano doesn't let out sound anymore. This is already my third Nano's and they all had had problems, so I'm thinking of just buying an MP3 player.

All I listened to on my Nano are podcasts. I'm looking for something that allows me to sort episodes of the same podcast into their own 'folder' or 'playlist'. So I can move from Folder Podcast A to Folder Podcast C and listen to episode 5 of Podcast C without actually having to sort through File A-1 to File C-5. The JB Hi-Fi guy I asked said this might be able to do that , but another guy from a Sony store said it definitely couldn't. Back in Indonesia the local electronics shop guy I asked said almost all MP3 players can do that and led me to this.

So my question is, which is it? Can most mp3 players do what I wanted, arranging podcast files into folders and moving through folders instead through individual files?

Thank you.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

toanoradian posted:

So my question is, which is it? Can most mp3 players do what I wanted, arranging podcast files into folders and moving through folders instead through individual files?
There's definitely cheap stuff out there that can't do it. Doesn't matter though, the most common recommendation on these forums for a decent, cheap-ish, non-apple mp3 player is something from the Sandisk Sansa Clip range, which can all definitely navigate to and play from folders.

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator

Flipperwaldt posted:

There's definitely cheap stuff out there that can't do it. Doesn't matter though, the most common recommendation on these forums for a decent, cheap-ish, non-apple mp3 player is something from the Sandisk Sansa Clip range, which can all definitely navigate to and play from folders.

Sweet. For some reason common electronics stores here in Australia doesn't sell Sansa Clip Zip, so I'll just get the only one available, a Clip Jam. Thanks!

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

The Clip Zip has been out of production for years, that's why. Currently there is only the Clip Jam and the Clip Sport.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

toanoradian posted:

I wonder if other English-speaking countries do this too. From the years I've lived in Australia, I've never heard children of foreign-born parents being called "Greek-Australians" or "Italian-Australian".

Separate question:
My iPod Nano doesn't let out sound anymore. This is already my third Nano's and they all had had problems, so I'm thinking of just buying an MP3 player.

All I listened to on my Nano are podcasts. I'm looking for something that allows me to sort episodes of the same podcast into their own 'folder' or 'playlist'. So I can move from Folder Podcast A to Folder Podcast C and listen to episode 5 of Podcast C without actually having to sort through File A-1 to File C-5. The JB Hi-Fi guy I asked said this might be able to do that , but another guy from a Sony store said it definitely couldn't. Back in Indonesia the local electronics shop guy I asked said almost all MP3 players can do that and led me to this.

Thank you.

I think you're the last goon without a smartphone. If you have a smartphone just use a podcast app.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

tuyop posted:

Yeah I can't find the thread now at all but a dude posted a "walking across America AMA" thread and his plan was to walk along highways in summer in Nevada with a backpack and a bike stroller trailer thing he bought off craigslist for 80 bucks. He bought all his gear from Walmart and refused to open or test any of it before he would need it, it still had tags. He also refused to listen to anyone about gear and only changed his route slightly after like 30 pages of yelling.

Oh and he was doing it for "mental health awareness" and had signs and hashtags and a YouTube video that looked like a Web 2.0 ransom note. No real charities would touch him but he raised like 5k with a Kickstarter. Then he started his hike in a small public park and forgot to eat for like 12 hours, his stroller broke on mile 3 and he abandoned it in the woods, succumbed to exposure and reality on the top of a 300 foot hill and drove his nice car to his aunt's house.

Was there a This American Life or Radiolab episode about this guy? I remember hearing about a similar story on one of those podcasts.

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator

tuyop posted:

I think you're the last goon without a smartphone. If you have a smartphone just use a podcast app.

I'll die buried under my N-Gages and my flippies!

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Mak0rz posted:

Was there a This American Life or Radiolab episode about this guy? I remember hearing about a similar story on one of those podcasts.

Nah, that was a different story. That TAL guy traveled significantly farther.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

toanoradian posted:

Separate question:

Thank you.

If you want something with really good podcast handling (including things like removing podcasts from device when listened to but keeping them on your computer, keeping track of your place, etc), pick up a used Zune HD. They also have really good battery life and are nice and small. The software is also still supported on Windows 10.

The 16 GB model goes for about $35-50 on ebay, the 32 GB goes for $75. the 64 GB goes for about $150.

Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich

Powered Descent posted:

Hiking Across America: My Clothes Were Too Heavy
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3714480

Worth a read from start to finish. It's truly a magical tale.

Holy poo poo..

Thank you so much for showing me this! Its like reading an actual novel!

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
What are the etymological origins of the phrase "to jump down [person's] throat?"

I found a brief explanation that mentioned that it first occurred in a novel called Cousin Henry from 1879, but the explanation gave very little context and no linguistic explanation at all.

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.

toanoradian posted:

I'll die buried under my N-Gages and my flippies!

How the hell do you live in Indonesia without a smartphone? Everyone has one there, from the angkot drivers to the Satpams.

Edit: Oh you're Australian, misinterpreted "Back in Indonesia". I wouldn't trust any local electronics store anyways there. I got bounced around four stores trying to find a CF card reader two days ago.

Fragrag fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Feb 21, 2016

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
I'm running a conference that has three keynote speakers. I have an opening keynote and a closing keynote. I need to have a name for the middle one that is not "sandwich keynote". What's a clever name for the mid-span keynote?

Edit: nevermind. CENTERPIECE keynote!!

photomikey fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Feb 21, 2016

Kings Of Calabria
Sep 10, 2013

photomikey posted:

I'm running a conference that has three keynote speakers. I have an opening keynote and a closing keynote. I need to have a name for the middle one that is not "sandwich keynote". What's a clever name for the mid-span keynote?

No no no, a centerpiece is the main focus of a spread, so unless you want to make the final speaker feel like he/she is some driftwood afterthought avoid that term. Also, you do not have three keynote speakers - you have one, like every other conference. That is the nature of a keynote speaker and they will probably want to go last to summarize what everyone learned and add their thoughts. I'm not trying to be rude but who put you in charge? You don't seem to know what a conference is for.

e: you really could have just searched wikipedia for the term "keynote speaker" following your invitation to run the conference. For your sake I hope none of them have any sort of ego or self respect.

Kings Of Calabria fucked around with this message at 11:28 on Feb 21, 2016

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Kings Of Calabria posted:

You don't seem to know what a conference is for.

Hooking up with a marginally-attractive colleague from a different region?

Kings Of Calabria
Sep 10, 2013

spog posted:

Hooking up with a marginally-attractive colleague from a different region?

If making out with Kara from RDU in an elevator once a year is wrong I don't want to be right.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

No no no, a centerpiece is the main focus of a spread, so unless you want to make the final speaker feel like he/she is some driftwood afterthought avoid that term. Also, you do not have three keynote speakers - you have one, like every other conference. That is the nature of a keynote speaker and they will probably want to go last to summarize what everyone learned and add their thoughts. I'm not trying to be rude but who put you in charge? You don't seem to know what a conference is for.

e: you really could have just searched wikipedia for the term "keynote speaker" following your invitation to run the conference. For your sake I hope none of them have any sort of ego or self respect.

A keynote speaker doesn't go last to summarise or whatever, a keynote goes first to set the tone of the conference and discuss the broader themes that the conference talks will be going in depth on.

I mean, if you had actually read the wikipedia page you're talking about, maybe you'd know that.

quote:

A keynote in public speaking is a talk that establishes a main underlying theme. In corporate or commercial settings, greater importance is attached to the delivery of a keynote speech or keynote address. The keynote establishes the framework for the following programme of events or convention agenda

Kind of hard to establish the framework for a program that has already taken place...

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

dupersaurus posted:

The only difference between the highly reactive fluorine (9) and high not-reactive neon (10) is one electron: fluorine badly wants to have another electron, so reacts with everything to get it, but neon has all the electrons it needs. Likewise sodium (11) has one more electron than it really needs to have, so it really wants to share it with others.

Huh? i thought was how ions worked, not normal elements.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

If making out with Kara from RDU in an elevator once a year is wrong I don't want to be right.

But if she asks you to piss on her, and you tell people about it, that would be wrong.

Just for future reference.

But you can tell us.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Baron Porkface posted:

Most normal elements are ions when isolated, they just usually aren't because they've already reacted. And now you know why himalayan salt lamps are a load of poo poo! :eng101:

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

AlphaKretin posted:

Most normal elements are ions when isolated, they just usually aren't because they've already reacted. And now you know why himalayan salt lamps are a load of poo poo! :eng101:

Tell me more. (I don't even know what a Himalayan Salt lamp is.)

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Oh it's a complete tangent that my mind's been on from catching up on the pseudoscience thread, long story short it's a fancy lamp at mark up because it claims to "remove negative ions from the air".

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

I would assume photomikey is referring to three different opening presenters of three different presentations for a conference. Like, if it was a photography conference, there could be a presentation on "Modern photojournalism" a presentation on "Going freelance" and a presentation on "Tools of the trade" Each could be a few hours long, and feature multiple speakers, with a headlining speech for each. In which case centerpiece still would not be an appropriate term, you'd probably want to denote presentations by the time of day rather than importance, with a morning, afternoon, and late-afternoon or evening one, and simply label keynote speakers by their topics.

If I'm giving mikey too much benefit of the doubt, and he actually is misusing the term, feel free to disregard that advice. :v:

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Baron Porkface posted:

You're right, that is how ions work. The difference between elements isn't (necessarily) the number of electrons, it's the number of protons. An atom will usually have the same number of electrons and protons, and when they don't it becomes an ion. But it's the number of protons that determines an element.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

Baron Porkface posted:

The gold/platinum question is an electron question since its electron energy levels that define things like color and reflection. In the bigger picture of what makes one element different from another, electrons are still a big part, but other factors (like protons and isotopes) make up the sum total of how an element interacts with the world.

DavidAlltheTime
Feb 14, 2008

All David...all the TIME!

photomikey posted:

First keynote speaker.
Second keynote speaker.
Third keynote speaker.

IF your conference really has three different themes and corresponding breakout sessions. Otherwise the first one is the keynote, as previous posters have explained.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

dupersaurus posted:

The gold/platinum question is an electron question since its electron energy levels that define things like color and reflection. In the bigger picture of what makes one element different from another, electrons are still a big part, but other factors (like protons and isotopes) make up the sum total of how an element interacts with the world.

This is also not strictly true, the processing of a material has a ton to do with how it behaves. In this example, polishing metal can change it from black to shiny silver and there's no appreciable chemical action going on there.

Basically the original question isn't small or stupid and the answer takes more than one paragraph posts. Not knocking anyone else's responses, as they're all part of a good answer.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

just make sure you call the coolest one the Penultimate Skeleton-Keynote

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

focus this time so i don't have to keep telling you idiots what happened
Lipstick Apathy
What the hell is this thing? It's in episode 2 of Cosmos, in a section about the evolution of the eye, so it's likely extinct.

It's like a flatworm with articulated fangs.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

uwaeve posted:

What the hell is this thing? It's in episode 2 of Cosmos, in a section about the evolution of the eye, so it's likely extinct.

It's like a flatworm with articulated fangs.

Anomalocaris

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
Planning on renting a pocket WiFi hotspot and wondering if I should go 40Mbps Unlimited Data or 75Mbps with 10GB of data. It's about the same price and I will be the only one using it. I'm thinking of going with the 40Mbps since it will just be for me but wondering if the 35Mbps difference in speed is that noticeable for basic web browsing?

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

The trash disposal for our apartment doesn't recycle so I'm going to bring my recyclabes to a recycling center instead. Does paperboard classify as cardboard or flattened cardboard? Should I throw my other plastics like ziploc bags in with the plastic bottle recycling?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Busy Bee posted:

Planning on renting a pocket WiFi hotspot and wondering if I should go 40Mbps Unlimited Data or 75Mbps with 10GB of data. It's about the same price and I will be the only one using it. I'm thinking of going with the 40Mbps since it will just be for me but wondering if the 35Mbps difference in speed is that noticeable for basic web browsing?

I really doubt you'll be able to consistently get 40 megabit let alone 75 megabit service for a lot of the day, if you're anywhere near a populated area. So just go for the 40 megabit unlimited plan.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012

Memento posted:

A keynote speaker doesn't go last to summarise or whatever, a keynote goes first to set the tone of the conference and discuss the broader themes that the conference talks will be going in depth on.

I mean, if you had actually read the wikipedia page you're talking about, maybe you'd know that.

Kind of hard to establish the framework for a program that has already taken place...
Thank you for tuning up the guy who yelled at me for not knowing what a keynote is, while he had no idea what a keynote is.

Also, to put to bed any further discussion, I went with

Opening Keynote
Centerpiece Keynote
Closing Keynote

and I don't give a poo poo what keynote really means, I mostly just want folks to know what the big talk that day is, and "Thursday's Big Talk" sounds like a 3rd grade lesson.

Kings Of Calabria
Sep 10, 2013
Sorry I was rude about it (and wrong to boot), it might have had something to do with all them beers I drank :P

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

photomikey posted:

Thank you for tuning up the guy who yelled at me for not knowing what a keynote is, while he had no idea what a keynote is.

Also, to put to bed any further discussion, I went with

Opening Keynote
Centerpiece Keynote
Closing Keynote

and I don't give a poo poo what keynote really means, I mostly just want folks to know what the big talk that day is, and "Thursday's Big Talk" sounds like a 3rd grade lesson.

Oh, if these are taking place on different days just call them Wednesday Keynote, Thursday Keynote, etc.